Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

NBN

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 21>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 11:32pm
The NBN again releasing numbers that have shown the NBN under the LNP to be unadulterated BS
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2014 at 4:52pm

turnbull-99

opinion Australia’s National Broadband Network project is now in uncharted territory. Beyond a joke, beyond a politicised mess, and even beyond farce, the incredibly inconsistent handling of the project by Liberal Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull has led it far outside the bounds of rational discourse or intelligent consideration.

When you first get your start as a journalist, things tend to appear very black and white. Your role is very clear: You are to hold powerful people to account and write about issues that matter to your readers. You go about this role in the way that intrepid journalists do on TV dramas: Pen in hand and handheld recording device in your pocket, you set about asking Ministers and executives tough questions. You receive tips via email and breathlessly follow them up with PR people who seem determined to stonewall you.

However, as time goes on, a funny thing starts to happen. As you gain knowledge in your field and experience as a journalist, those black and white lines, as well as that stereotypical image of a journalist, start to break down.

Instead of formally interviewing people, you tend to just talk to them. Instead of all your conversations being on the record, they tend to be almost totally “on background” or “off the record”. Instead of reacting when press releases or news tips are sent to your inbox, you tend to start proactively investigating areas which you know readers will be interested in. You gain an understanding of the deeper nature of things and stop seeing things as being black and white. There are suddenly two, three or even five sides to every story, and those nuances start creeping into your writing. You’re still writing about the same topics, but in a completely different kind of way.

I’ve been this kind of journalist for quite a while now.

I mention this because I want to give readers some understanding of the nature of the quandary which is currently plaguing Australian journalists such as myself when writing about the project formerly known as the National Broadband Network, and some insight into the nature of the wider mediasphere surrounding it.

Usually once a week or so, I get the chance to catch up with a senior Australian IT industry figure of some kind or another for a detailed chat. It could be a managing director of a major technology vendor or telco, it could be a senior industry analyst, it could be a chief information officer or it could be a politician such as an MP or Senator, or one of their staff members. Usually I do this sort of thing over the phone, but sometimes it’s over coffee. It’s all off the record — usually we’re just shooting the breeze and sharing background information to mutual benefit, rather than trying to pursue a certain objective.

I tend to find, and I believe I am not alone in finding this, that at the end of the conversation, no matter who you’re talking to or what you were initially talking about, the conversation turns towards the National Broadband Project (or, if you prefer, the Coalition’s Broadband Network under the new Government).

Everyone has their view on this most universal of project, because as fundamental telecommunications infrastructure it affects everyone. Almost everyone is of the view that the long-term future should focus on Fibre to the Premises, but there are a thousand views on how to get to that point, and a thousand views on every move which the Government of the day or NBN Co makes in delivering the policy.

This isn’t new; I’ve been having these conversations ever since the formation of the NBN back in April 2009, when the project captured the public imagination. However, something new has crept into the discussion over the past six months, ever since the Coalition took power in the September Federal Election: A sense of deep confusion and disquiet about what’s going on.

Previous to the Federal Election, there was a sense that the Coalition’s rival NBN policy, although markedly inferior to Labor’s, was at least a known quantity. Senior Australian technologists knew thatShadow Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull planned to dramatically change the project, but that change was largely expected to focus on a single modification of the rollout model. And, even if few technologists liked the Fibre to the Node concept, the technology is being used in the UK and all throughout Europe. Again, this was a known quantity.

However, since the Federal Election, the conversations I’ve been having have changed in tone.

Now, when you speak to senior Australian IT industry figures about the NBN, the conversation starts the same way it used to, with various opinions being expressed about the latest news and what it means. But the enthusiasm and speculation it quickly peters off. After a few minutes, bigger and much more serious questions start to be raised and people start talking about their fears.

The first and most obvious one is the long-term future of Australia’s broadband needs. Senior Australian technologists could broadly accept Fibre to the Node as a concept from the Coalition, because it was obvious that in the long-term — say, 10 to 20 years — the fibre could be extended all the way to the premises. There’s precedent for this — in the UK, BT has already started extending its FTTN rollout to FTTP in certain areas, and there are similar movements in other countries which are a ways down the FTTN path.

However, the Coalition’s unexpected move in December to cancel the planned FTTN rollout in areas already covered by the HFC cable networks of Telstra and Optus has caused a deep-seated feeling of uncertainty in the industry.

It is certainly technically possible to open up the HFC cable networks to wholesale competition, extend their reach to more premises in their footprint, and even to extend fibre from the HFC junction points all the way to the premises. However, the problem is that this technique just hasn’t been pursued internationally to any extent. This approach will place Australia far our on its own in terms of its national telecommunications infrastructure. If it fails, as it may do, we’ll be back at square one, needing to upgrade Australia’s copper network to fibre, but potentially a decade or more behind other countries on that curve.

When you get to a senior level in the technology sector, more so than any other sector, you become aware that ‘going it alone’ in a technical sense and trying new things is a highly risky endeavour. Technology investment cycles are all about investing with the crowd at the right point on the development cycle. Invest too early (for example: The first Dot Com boom), and you may find the technology you’re investing in is overhyped and will be dropped quickly. Invest in the wrong technology (for example, WiMax) you will quickly find the industry passes you by as it focuses its efforts on something else.

Australia’s mobile networks have become the best in the world because companies such as Hutchison and Telstra massively invested at the right time in the right technology (3G) and in the right spectrum bands. But with its HFC cable move, many senior Australian figures suspect, the Coalition is investing too late in a technology which is increasingly viewed as obsolescent.

Then too, the disquiet also extends to other issues.

Malcolm Turnbull came to power as Communications Minister promising a clear set of broadband objectives for NBN Co, delivered through a clear set of technologies, with an additional mandate to increase the transparency and accountability of the project. But since that time, almost every element of the Member for Wentworth’s platform has been thrown out the window. Despite the Minister’s protestations, it has become very clear throughout the past six months that Turnbull has no intention of even pretending to play by the rules he laid down for the governance of NBN Co and the project as a whole.

Turnbull spent much of his time in Opposition heavily criticising the previous Labor administration’s approach to the NBN, including NBN Co’s executive team and the project’s lack of a cost/benefit analysis.

But in his first six months in the role, our new Communications Minister has subverted NBN Co’s organic hiring process by putting in place an executive team at the company with which he, or the Liberal Party, have existing close links, jettisoning along the way a number of executives and board directors who didn’t fit the mould.

That team, and a cluster of consulting firms which Turnbull originally said wouldn’t be hired, put together a supposedly independent Strategic Review of the company’s operations and future which conveniently perfectly fit the Minister’s vision for a future landscape based on HFC cable and Fibre to the Node.

And of course, yesterday Turnbull abandoned any pretence at consistency by ordering NBN Co to go ahead with the ‘Multi-Technology Mix’ approach recommended by the Strategic Review, without even waiting for his own cost/benefit analysis to be delivered — an analysis, we might also note, that had already been stacked with open Liberal supporter and staunch critic of Labor’s NBN vision, Henry Ergas. Questioned about the move, Turnbull said it was aimed at allowing NBN Co to get on with its job — a luxury he certainly never afforded Labor.

In my conversations with senior IT industry figures, there has always been a degree of understanding of the politicisation of the NBN project. People understand that the best technical or commercial outcome may, at times, be sacrificed to political aims for the sake of expediency. That’s nothing new: The sector as a whole is experienced with this dynamic because of the decade-long process of opening the industry to competition and privatising Telstra. A certain amount of this is viewed as the cost of doing business with the Government.

However, the level of disquiet in the conversations I am having at the moment speaks to something deeper. The IT industry is highly aware that Turnbull has, only a few months after the election, completely abandoned the policy the Coalition took to the election, installed his own cronies at NBN Co and is pumping out a series of heavily compromised audits and reviews, some of which appear solely aimed at ensuring Labor will never win power again. Along the way, the Minister is regularly saying one thing and doing something completely different, including blithely taking steps which he strongly criticised the previous Government for.

And there is also the ongoing investment stasis which Turnbull has placed the telecommunications industry in, courtesy of his ongoing refusal to make a regulatory decision about whether TPG, Telstra, Optus and iiNet should be allowed to deploy their own networks in competition with NBN Co’s infrastructure.

The incredible ongoing performances of NBN Co executive chairman Ziggy Switkowski, in which he appears unable to speak the name of his own company (repeatedly referring to it as “NBN” instead of “NBN Co”) and constantly downplaying the need for fast broadband to the Senate as well as stating that NBN Co’s technology choices don’t actually matter, are not helping matters.

Amid all this, precious little attention appears to be being paid to the risk of catastrophic long-term outcomes for Australia’s broadband environment as a whole.

Against my own wishes, I am viewed as something of an expert on the NBN, having reported on the telco sector for most of the past decade. And so it is natural that I am asked, constantly, virtually every day, for my private opinion on what is going to happen next. What does it all mean? Is the Coalition seriously trying to destroy the whole project? What will the future of Australia’s telecommunications environment look like? Is Turnbull mad? Or just incompetent?

I try to explain to people the truth: That we have a Minister who is constantly, on a daily basis, acting chaotically, inconsistently and without integrity; sometimes even unethically. That it’s impossible to forecast the path of NBN Co or the rest of the industry because of this fact. That, when it really comes down to it, I just don’t know what to expect on a day to day basis when it comes to what is supposed to be an extremely long-term and stable infrastructure project.

In my conversations with people, this doesn’t really help them. They come to me looking for certainty and insight. The revelation that I am just as confused as they are leaves them profoundly disturbed, as it reinforces their own impression that the Government is in complete chaos in this area, and that this may significantly harm Australia’s technology sector and broader economy in the long-term.

It also doesn’t help me. In just six short months, we have seen such extraordinary and often highly inconsistent behaviour from Turnbull when it comes to the NBN that I fundamentally don’t know how to write about the project any more.

Going back to the start of this article: When you become a senior journalist you tend to develop a broader sense for the underlying nuanced truth of any situation. But at the moment, Turnbull’s behaviour is so inconsistent that I don’t know what to make of the Minister’s statements on any given day.

Over the past several weeks the Coalition has given increasing indications that it wants to offload NBN Co’s satellite business. But yesterday Turnbull reassured us that it wasn’t up for sale any time soon. Before the election the Liberal MP repeatedly criticised Labor for its lack of a NBN cost/benefit analysis. Now we are told there is no need to wait for one. Before the election we were told that FTTN was the order of the day for the NBN. Now it’s HFC cable. NBN Co’s Strategic Review was to be put together by the company itself. But when it was actually delivered, it was presented by a bevy of consulting firms. Turnbull was wholly against a fully FTTP rollout for Tasmania only a few months ago. But then he stated he was open to overhead fibre trials. And so on. It never stops.

Today NBN Co announced it had made a series of core executives — head of corporate and commercial Kevin Brown and chief technology officer Gary McLaren — redundant, with chief financial officer Robin Payne also to leave the business after “acting” in his role for a while. I’ve never heard of a company which has offloaded its CFO, CTO and head of commercial in one go. And I don’t know how to report it. Is this a grossly political move because the trio supported retired founding NBN Co CEO Mike Quigley? Or just new NBN Co CEO Bill Morrow putting his own team in place? Either way, it’s virtually unprecedented in Australia’s corporate sphere for a company to get rid of three such competent senior executives in one go.

As a journalist, you can only deal with this constantly shifting landscape so long before your head starts to spin with confusion. At the moment, I distrust virtually everything that Turnbull or his NBN Co executive team has to say on the NBN, because it very much feels like the project as a whole could literally turn on a dime depending on what the Minister had for breakfast this morning.

And so it becomes impossible to report NBN-related news. How, as a journalist, can I honestly be expected to publish Turnbull’s statements on any issue, when the Minister could change his mind tomorrow? How, for instance, can we take the Member for Wentworth seriously when he says the NBN needs a cost/benefit analysis, when he abjectly casts aside his three years’ worth of complaints on the issue on a whim? When NBN Co executive chairman Ziggy Switkowski appeared to completely change his views on the project after Turnbull appointed him?

The only answer that I have found to these issues is to stop considering Australia’s political landscape as being the first-world democracy which we’re used to.

In countries with different political systems, such as quasi- or ex-communist giants Russia and China (which I studied during my political science degree) or the less developed world, few people take politicians as seriously as we are used to taking them in Australia, because the population is aware that there is a vast and very blatantly obvious difference between what politicians say and what they actually mean or will do.

The motivations which drive them are entirely different than those we are used to in Australia, and so the journalists report them differently, being aware that many statements are inherently not made in good faith. Politicians in such countries are not held accountable to the same degree as they have historically been in countries such as Australia. And now I fear we are headed down the same degraded path.

To think about Australia’s political system in this light has been a very difficult decision for me to come to, because it would suggest that something fundamental has quietly changed recently about the way Australia governs itself. But then, I don’t think I’m the only journalist struggling with these issues.

Politics should be, and often has been in Australia, about the chance to glimpse a brighter future. But at the moment it feels like we are grappling with a different beast entirely, and must change our reaction to that as a consequence. Something less than hope is passing for currency in Australia’s political system just now; something with a more vague outline than despair.

Image credit: Office of Malcolm Turnbull

http://delimiter.com.au/2014/04/10/dont-know-cover-nbn-anymore/

questions View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2014 at 5:45pm
hopefully they stop talking then. and wait for the proper solution to be found.

as opposed to the mess that was the nbn when turnbull walked in. 

some of the inferior speak in that piece outlines greatly what is the problem with commentators that can post and that makes them an expert.

if you think that the largest infrastructure mess that has existed in this country could be solved in 6 months, then you are lacking any creditibility to ever write on the subjecct again.

turnbull is working through the reports, putting forward ideas for testing and building the plan for the next 15 years. no one knew how bad it was until they entered the building. the joke figures they were using suggested theyw ere further thant hey were and really it was a desperate attempt to cover the cracks in order to present a case to the public.

you can relax now. it is all getting reparid. 
"it's not gambling if you're absolutely sure you're gonna win" Barney Stinson
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2014 at 6:31pm
Turnbull pulls the plug on FTTP, so ‘we’re back to the drawing board’
by Paddy Manning
Federal
That’s it. For me, anyway, and residents of some 3.4 million Australian homes — ironically perhaps the most willing and able to pay for fast broadband. We’re set to miss out on fibre to the premise, because we sit within the footprint of the existing hybrid-fibre or coaxial cable network that delivers pay TV.

Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull decided our fate yesterday when he instructed NBN Co., chaired by former Telstra boss Ziggy Switkowski, to work towards a multi-technology mix for the National Broadband Network. Retaining the HFC network is a fundamental plank of the MTM strategy.

This is not news to anyone following the NBN closely, it’s just that now it’s official. We already knew the Coalition intention — when in opposition, Malcolm Turnbull decried the inherent waste of money, with the government paying hundreds of millions of dollars to shut down the perfectly serviceable HFC networks.

The NBN Co. strategic review released in December included MTM as the preferred option and envisaged that about 30% of homes would get the NBN through a substantially like upgraded HFC network that will deliver FTTP-like broadband.

The release of the strategic review sparked a fierce debate among the technology specialists about whether the HFC network was up to it. Among the concerns was serviceability of an overhead cable network that, although much younger than copper, had been exposed to the weather for 20 years. Crikey put this to Telstra chief David Thodey at the half-year results — he flatly rejected it, given Telstra had just spent $300 million upgrading the HFC network in Melbourne.

Journalist Adam Turner wrote two strong pieces arguing it wasn’t. After copping flak from Turnbull’s office, Turner ultimately conceded the quality of broadband delivered via HFC depended on how much was invested in the the upgrade, and he feared the government’s attitude — reasonably, given Prime Minister Tony Abbott’s view that FTTP is “wacko” and Treasurer Joe Hockey’s confected budget crisis — would be that “near enough was good enough”.

Guru (and NBN Co. director, admittedly) Simon Hackett wrote an excellent analysis which argued the gaps in the HFC network will be filled in, and there will be more nodes meaning less competition among local households for bandwidth (which slows down present HFC internet at the moment to 100/2Mbps (download/upload speed). Certainly, it seems, the broadband delivered over the HFC network now is no guide to the broadband that will be delivered via HFC by NBN Co. in the future.

What is also certain, however, is that it won’t be as good as FTTP. It will be delivered sooner, at lower cost to the NBN and therefore the country. It will give FTTP-like performance perhaps — and hopefully, where it falls short, it will be priced more cheaply.

Like everything to do with the NBN, it is hard to be definitive about any of this because it is still up in the air and depends crucially on the deals negotiated with Telstra and Optus. Under its $9 billion deal with Telstra (the government was going to kick in an extra $2 billion to fund the universal service obligation), NBN was to buy the HFC network and shut down voice and data so only Foxtel could come down the line. The price was never split out. NBN was also going to pay about $800 million for Optus’ HFC network. We also don’t know yet how much of NBN’s budget will be set aside to upgrade the HFC network.

Last week, Business Spectator’s Alan Kohler wrote a heartfelt memo to Turnbull — “don’t stuff up the NBN” — which rang true: he’d spoken to people in inner Melbourne’s Brunswick, which already has FTTP, to find out what they thought of the NBN and what they were doing with it. Striking was one NBN customer Melissa who just loved the internet speeds: “It’s increased the value of our house, no doubt about it. We’ll never again live where they haven’t got the NBN.”

Critics accuse Kohler of talking his own book — Business Spectator is an online business, the argument goes — but for mine it rang true. Arguments about the impact of broadband on property prices are terribly subjective. But I’d hazard a guess that frustration with slow internet is the norm by now and with the NBN it’s almost the opposite of the usual NIMBY syndrome (perhaps we need a new acronym: BRIMBY — bring it to my back yard).
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2014 at 6:31pm
BBY telecommunications analyst Mark McDonnell says there is a definite industry consensus that using the HFC network is an incredibly efficient way to deliver fast broadband, albeit not as fast as FTTP. Still he wonders where the government is going with the NBN and the mix of technologies: “It’s in no man’s land. Literally, we’re back to the drawing board.”
questions View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote questions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2014 at 7:23pm
the new CEO of the NBN has come in and been able to identify 5 key areas that have led the company to not perform properly.

alignment on goals, unclear or redundant accountability, suboptimal environment, poor decision making and peformance trakcing as well as poor process management.

that makes sense when you see the results.

you need to get the company structure operating correctly before you can build. get the internal foundations setup before you can develop and expand.

good to see good process at work and i only wish many business's out there did the same. 
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2014 at 7:30pm
I am sure you could have dug up a few more vague meaningless terms to describe a company overseen by the worst government/s in the entire history of the universe
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2014 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by questions questions wrote:

the new CEO of the NBN has come in and been able to identify 5 key areas that have led the company to not perform properly.

alignment on goals, unclear or redundant accountability, suboptimal environment, poor decision making and peformance trakcing as well as poor process management.

that makes sense when you see the results.

you need to get the company structure operating correctly before you can build. get the internal foundations setup before you can develop and expand.

good to see good process at work and i only wish many business's out there did the same. 

what a load of wallop   take the blinkers off,remove your self from your heroes emailing list   THE NBN IS A PIG since lnp got hold of it    broken word after word,blatant lying since day dot.  sadly won't be t6he last off it
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2014 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by mc41 mc41 wrote:

BBY telecommunications analyst Mark McDonnell says there is a definite industry consensus that using the HFC network is an incredibly efficient way to deliver fast broadband, albeit not as fast as FTTP. Still he wonders where the government is going with the NBN and the mix of technologies: “It’s in no man’s land. Literally, we’re back to the drawing board.
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2014 at 9:02pm

I don't expect the government to change its mind on the NBN, but I do think it is fair enough to expect it to keep its word.

Today is the first anniversary of that famous press conference that Tony Abbott and Malcolm Turnbull did with the life size hologram of Sonny Bill Williams.

That's the one where the Prime Minister said he was absolutely confident that 25 megs is going to be more than enough for the average household.

It's also the one where he promised that by 2016 everyone will have access to 25 megs. That promise hasn't lasted a year.

The government announced it was breaking it just before Christmas – the day after Holden announced it was pulling out of Australia.

This is a serious breach of faith. The people of Australia might not have liked their NBN plan, but they were told they would get it by 2016. They won the election and then broke their word. And they should wear the consequences of that at the next election.

Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2014 at 9:02pm
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2014 at 9:11pm
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 9:40am
The worlds worst treasurer, now the worlds worst communication minister.
questions View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 12:28pm
it is hilarious to think that people that have been wrong for years, suddenly think anyone cares for thier inept opinions.

the nbn was continuoulsy out massively on its predictions and then fudged the numbers to give the illusion that they were making progress. internally they realised they had stuffed it up and had to be cleaned up. 

i guesss their are correlations between the nbn and the budget.

swan predicts suprlus, gets $40bill deficit.
over 5 years misses his targets by $100bill to the negative. partly because he was blatantly lieing, partly because it was poorly put together

conroy says that 500,000 will be connected to the nbn by 2013
then changes that to 300,000
then changes that to 100,000
then says they will pass within 1km of homes witha  cable of 100,000
then gets that wrong.

partly due to blatantly lying and partly because of a terrible setup.

that is the history of it and so far hockey and turnbull have done the sensible thing of pulling apart the lies and building the truth and now starting to put the right people to fix the mess and work out the best way forward.

keep holding onto conroy and swan lies. they seem to be your only friend. 

mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 3:53pm

it is hilarious to think that people that have been wrong for years, suddenly think anyone cares for thier inept opinions.[

Sanctimonious describe you Q ?
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 3:56pm
You seem to conveniently forget the lies are occurring AFTER. There commissioned reports   Not before   After.

Hope you realize the difference.
questions View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 12:56pm
we are starting to see a new culture int he NBN already with the nbn releasing a plan to attack the fttb market that will see it protect its long term viability.

this is something that the other players ahve seen an opportunity and grabbed it whilst the nbn mucked around .

different culture already and the whole country will benefit
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 4:38pm

we are starting to see a new culture int he NBN already with the nbn releasing a plan to attack the fttb market that will see it protect its long term viability.

this is something that the other players ahve seen an opportunity and grabbed it whilst the nbn mucked around .

different culture already and the whole country will benefit

Different culture meaning more lies and more broken promises.
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 7:34pm

Malcolm Turnbull yesterday made several statements on the ABC’s Triple J radio station regarding financial projections for Labor’s National Broadband Network project which the Communications Minister is aware are false, with the former investment banker inaccurately conflating investment capital and government expenses for the project as well as exaggerating financial figures.

In an interview on Triple J yesterday (listen to the entire session here), Turnbull was asked by a listener why he had given NBN Co the OK to go ahead with the Coalition’s preferred “Multi-Technology Mix” rollout model for the project, when the cost/benefit analysis long promised by the Coalition for the project had not yet been completed. When in Opposition, Turnbull constantly criticised the then-Labor Federal Government for not having completed a cost/benefit analysis into its NBN policy before going ahead with the project.

In response, Turnbull stated that NBN Co’s Strategic Review published last year “concluded that if we had continued with Labor’s all-fibre rollout, it would have taken us four more years to complete it, and $73 billion”. The Communications Minister added: “In order to get the project done within an affordable cost envelope, we needed to be able to give the company the flexibility to use different technology, and that is the MTM model — $41 billion — $32 billion cheaper.”

“There is a very big choice between us and Labor,” Turnbull said. “Labor made a single technology platform — fibre to the premises — a religious or political objective. They said everybody has got to have fibre to the premises to 93 percent of Australia, regardless of what it costs, regardless of how long it takes. No matter what.”

“What we’ve said is look, in the real world, time and money do matter, and affordability do matter, whether it’s for the government, as the investor, or for consumers like us as purchasers of internet access. What we’ve done is given NBN Co the flexibility to use the technology which best suits the environment of a particular location. And obviously, you would use as much fibre to the premises as you can, but the question is one of affordability.”

However, NBN Co’s Strategic Review document, which Turnbull has read and is familiar with, directly contradicts some of Turnbull’s statements.

Page 17 of the document (available here in PDF format) contains a table displaying the various scenarios which NBN Co has examined in its effort to meet the new Federal Government’s objective of being able to deliver high-speed broadband to all Australians. There are six options, ranging from the ‘Optimised Multi-Technology’ mix preferred by the Coalition (using a mix of Labor’s preferred Fibre to the Premises technology, as well as the technically inferior Fibre to the Node and HFC cable options) to Labor’s existing policy, which is standardised on Fibre to the Premises.

mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 9:07pm
The local debate over AT&T’s plans to deploy gigabit fibre to 100 US cities starkly demonstrates that neither giant telcos nor the politicians regulating them can be trusted to give Australians 100 percent of the truth about how next-generation broadband infrastructure rollouts are being or should be deployed.f all you read about the announcement by giant US telco AT&T this week regarding its plans to deploy gigabit fibre throughout its home country was its press release, you would probably have walked away from the situation with the belief that the United States was very rapidly slated to become the sort of high-speed broadband nirvana that Australia would have eventually become had Labor’s all-fibre NBN plan not already been butchered by the Coalition

AT&T’s announcement also looked like the perfect counterpoint to demolish the argument made on the ABC’s Triple J station just last week by Malcolm Turnbull that the US telco was a poster child for the Communications Minister’s preferred Fibre to the Node (FTTN) rollout methodology.
 “If you look around the world, the type of technologies that are being used, are precisely what we are proposing,” the Minister had said. “Fibre to the Node, that is what AT&T have done.” Well. Not quite.
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 6:15pm
Paul Fletcher, parliamentary secretary to the minister for communications, Malcolm Turnbull, had earlier said at an IT forum that the Coalition’s cost estimate of the previous Labor government’s NBN plan “may have been a little high.”

As said last year.   Turnbull has been telling pork pies the whole way through.
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 6:25pm

BREAKING: Turnbull Malcolm unveils slick new multi-million $$ ad campaign to promote LNP broadband policy.

Edited by Browndog - 19 May 2014 at 6:26pm
Voss View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 7:03pm

The local debate over AT&T’s plans to deploy gigabit fibre to 100 US cities starkly demonstrates that neither giant telcos nor the politicians regulating them can be trusted to give Australians 100 percent of the truth about how next-generation broadband infrastructure rollouts are being or should be deployed.f all you read about the announcement by giant US telco AT&T this week regarding its plans to deploy gigabit fibre throughout its home country was its press release, you would probably have walked away from the situation with the belief that the United States was very rapidly slated to become the sort of high-speed broadband nirvana that Australia would have eventually become had Labor’s all-fibre NBN plan not already been butchered by the Coalition

AT&T’s announcement also looked like the perfect counterpoint to demolish the argument made on the ABC’s Triple J station just last week by Malcolm Turnbull that the US telco was a poster child for the Communications Minister’s preferred Fibre to the Node (FTTN) rollout methodology.
 “If you look around the world, the type of technologies that are being used, are precisely what we are proposing,” the Minister had said. “Fibre to the Node, that is what AT&T have done.” Well. Not quite.

Isn't AT&T a private company?

What's TPG planning on doing in Australia with fiber?
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by Voss Voss wrote:

<font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="3"><span style="line-height: 25px;">The local debate over AT&T’s plans to deploy gigabit fibre to 100 US cities starkly demonstrates that neither giant telcos nor the politicians regulating them can be trusted to give Australians 100 percent of the truth about how next-generation broadband infrastructure rollouts are being or should be deployed.</span><span style="line-height: 18px;">f all you read about</span><span style="line-height: 18px;"> </span>the announcement by giant US telco AT&T this week<span style="line-height: 18px;"> </span><span style="line-height: 18px;">regarding its plans to deploy gigabit fibre throughout its home country was</span><span style="line-height: 18px;"> </span>its press release<span style="line-height: 18px;">, you would probably have walked away from the situation with the belief that the United States was very rapidly slated to become the sort of high-speed broadband nirvana that Australia would have eventually become had Labor’s all-fibre NBN plan not already been butchered by the Coalition</span>
<font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="3"><span style="line-height: 18px;">
</span>
<font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="3"><span style="font-weight: bold; line-height: 25px;">AT&T’s announcement also looked like the perfect counterpoint to demolish </span>the argument made on the ABC’s Triple J station just last week by Malcolm Turnbull<span style="line-height: 25px;"> that the US telco was a poster child for the Communications Minister’s preferred Fibre to the Node (FTTN) rollout methodology.</span>
<font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="3"><span style="line-height: 25px;"> “If you look around the world, the type of technologies that are being used, are precisely what we are proposing,” the Minister had said. “Fibre to the Node, that is what AT&T have done.” Well. Not quite.</span>

Most are going FTP LNP are in a teco void. And Turbull has lied the whole way through, don't ask for links, use google 👍
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 7:14pm
One of their trucks was involved in an accident 300m down the road last week & looked like a write off, more $$$ down the drain LOL
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Voss View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 10:44pm

Originally posted by Voss Voss wrote:

<font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="3"><span style="line-height: 25px;">The local debate over AT&T’s plans to deploy gigabit fibre to 100 US cities starkly demonstrates that neither giant telcos nor the politicians regulating them can be trusted to give Australians 100 percent of the truth about how next-generation broadband infrastructure rollouts are being or should be deployed.</span><span style="line-height: 18px;">f all you read about</span><span style="line-height: 18px;"> </span>the announcement by giant US telco AT&T this week<span style="line-height: 18px;"> </span><span style="line-height: 18px;">regarding its plans to deploy gigabit fibre throughout its home country was</span><span style="line-height: 18px;"> </span>its press release<span style="line-height: 18px;">, you would probably have walked away from the situation with the belief that the United States was very rapidly slated to become the sort of high-speed broadband nirvana that Australia would have eventually become had Labor’s all-fibre NBN plan not already been butchered by the Coalition</span>
<font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="3"><span style="line-height: 18px;">
</span>
<font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="3"><span style="font-weight: bold; line-height: 25px;">AT&T’s announcement also looked like the perfect counterpoint to demolish </span>the argument made on the ABC’s Triple J station just last week by Malcolm Turnbull<span style="line-height: 25px;"> that the US telco was a poster child for the Communications Minister’s preferred Fibre to the Node (FTTN) rollout methodology.</span>
<font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="3"><span style="line-height: 25px;"> “If you look around the world, the type of technologies that are being used, are precisely what we are proposing,” the Minister had said. “Fibre to the Node, that is what AT&T have done.” Well. Not quite.</span>

Most are going FTP LNP are in a teco void. And Turbull has lied the whole way through, don't ask for links, use google 👍

It's not really something I've followed all that closely so won't be getting too far into it.

Just interesting that it looks like the private sector is starting to roll out more of it's own fiber services now, which is exactly why I have always thought this project was something our Government (whoever is in charge) should never have been involved in in the first place.

mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 6:19am
They are going to " cherry pick " not a good result.
questions View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 8:39pm
there is a race on to get fibre to the basement in the places you can actually get money from it and the nbn was sadly developed to not to be able to take advantage of it.

part of the mess of the projected revenue figures are the idea that the nbn would be collecting this revenue when we now have the private sector getting in there and there is some law in place that prevents more than one or something. it pretty much means the nbn will be left to slowly get around and go to the places where they wont be making money. pretty much means that there is a massive amount of expenditure that will not get a return. 

i have always said that fibre to the node is a great idea. the implementation is the issue and the unrealistic approach taken has developed a terrible company that is not fit enough to take on the private sector. 
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2014 at 5:14pm
 The head of the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission this morning said NBN Co would be “misleading” consumers on its planned Fibre to the Node or Basement (FTTN/B) infrastructure if it went through with its decision to allow them to order speeds between 50Mbps and 100Mbps which their connections could not actually deliver.  Shocked
questions View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2014 at 10:56pm
i understand that you dont understand the technology.

you can currently get a 8mb connection and then get an upgrade to a 12mb connection. the 8mb connection may give you speeds of 6mb and that is understandable. it may give you 12mb. the actual speed is different to each premise depending on the connection. 

the upgrade to 12mb will give you a faster speed than at the 8mb connection. may not get to 12mb.

what they are saying is that they can sell 50mb and it may not get to that and you can look at ways of increasing it by speaking to your provider.

if you want to understand more, go to the link below, measure your download speed and then ring up your provider and say you are unhappy with it and they can look to increase it by working with the frequency in which data is sent through the line to your house. 

http://www.speedtest.net/

that is unless the current speeds are higher or very close to the set speed. 

if you pay for a 100mb connection and dont get those speeds, then you can drop down to an acceptable payment setup. it is the way it has always been 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 21>