Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

NBN

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 21>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 12:05am
wc ... That's a lot about nothing.
Do you practice to achieve such perfection./?
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 9:16am
Embedded image permalink
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 9:45am

coalition-nbn

Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 9:46am
Gee it sure looked a reasonable option. Shame it was a piece of fiction from a dishonest govt
Bagman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bagman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 9:51am
Originally posted by questions questions wrote:

i realise that you are struggling with this concept but i will say it again,.***from what follows I don't think its someone else struggling with the concept***

labor had no plan. they had a dream that they propogated into a lie.
***Why is it a lie? You keep saying that as if there was no way we could possibly BUILD such a thing when we did telegraphy in the late 1800's nation wide, on this point put up or shut up****
they ahd already been told by nbn co that it was not going to happen and they new it was political suicide to admit it.***please provide a citation*** all the figures that you have come up with on the nbn co are wrong. massively wrong the expected revenues massively wrong, the cost massively wrong, the work that had been completed massively wrong, the future massively wrong, the time it would take to compete massively wrong. 
***that's a lot of massives for a bloke whos backing a different model using the same delivery method , can I ask if you NOW think the FTTN is also MASSIVELY underfunded and undeliverable***
like i said before, keep holding onto that lie.***again the use of the LIE. PUT UP OR SHUT UP. You are so ideologically BLIND that you don't realise the LNP version USES THE SAME INFRASTRUCTURE*** if it makes you feel special to believe in that lie then dont let go of it. 
***YOU must get over this line Q***
we wnat faster broadband and that is what we will get.***I wouldn't hold your breathe on that as the inquiry was MEANT to DELAY the build time**** i will be more than happy to get into turnbull if the new figures and targets he puts forward are not met or exceeded. then he will have no excuses.***Again I say to you this inquiry was more about DELAYING the process so as to SPEND LESS***

this government is working harder and better than i could of imagined. great to see. 
***If only you actually realised the machinations.****

I don't have one
Bagman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bagman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 9:58am
Now Questions the A.C.T got this tech in the late 90's early 2000's please feel free to read what you will probably believe is a LIE perpetuated by the Lefty loonie luvvies rusted on at Labor HQ...
Thanks to Wikipedia for the companies OWN by lines.....
Company[edit]

TransACT headquarters in Dickson, Australian Capital Territory
The development of TransACT's vision and business plan commenced in 1996, led by a small team comprising Robin Eckermann (Chief Architect), Joe Ceccato, Robert Clarke and Jane Taylor, working under the guidance of ACTEW Executive Neville Smith. One of the distinguishing features of the business model was the adoption of an Open Access Network or OAN philosophy – many years before that approach attracted widespread interest around the world. The National Broadband Network or NBN is also modelled on similar OAN philosophy, separating the wholesale and retail businesses.

TransACT operates the open network in collaboration with ten ISPs. These include a mix of large national organisations and smaller local operations. One of the ISPs (Grapevine) which was previously owned by both TransACT and ActewAGL was taken onboard by TransACT as a wholly owned subsidiary in March 2010.

The company has an extensive fibre network in the ACT. SDH, ATM and IP/MPLS Metro Ethernet technologies are used to deliver services via dedicated hubs or gateways that are built around the region. Services are delivered to various businesses, government departments and residential customers via a diverse range of access networks.

The first broadband platform rolled out known as Phase 1 network was based on FTTC (fibre to the curb) design with nodes being placed within 300 metres of premises. SDH backbone is used to transport voice, data and video whereas VDSL technology is used as the access network to get customers connected to TransACT's high-speed broadband and digital TV services. Coincidentally, TransACT also became the first telco in Australia to implement this particular high-speed broadband technology much superior to ADSL, which was prominent throughout the country at that time. TransACT remains as the only telco to support VDSL and the products are still actively sold with network reach-ability to over 55,000 homes in the ACT.

The Phase 2 rollout involved TransACT placing its own DSLAM equipment within Telstra exchanges and utilising their own fibre-optic backhaul to their main data centre in Dickson, ACT. TransACT completed their ADSL 2/2+ rollout on 1 March 2007. The Phase 2 network is available to anyone outside Phase 1 with a Telstra phone line in Canberra and Queanbeyan, as long as they are within sufficient distance of their telephone exchange – as with any ADSL service.

In 2009, TransACT again became one of the very first providers in the world to commence greenfield rollout and upgrade of existing VDSL access network to VDSL2, the most advanced and fastest digital subscriber line (DSL) broadband technology commercially available, commencing with a number of medium- to high-density developments in Canberra’s more established suburbs. The upgrade increases broadband speeds by up to four times, compared to the fastest existing ADSL2+ networks used by most carriers. As with the existing VDSL network, VDSL2 products also include triple-play services. By mid-2009, multiples sites including The Avenue on Northbourne Avenue, Skyplaza in Woden and The Gateway at Kingston Foreshore were upgraded to VDSL2 with more projects currently underway.

The telco is the first in the country to build a dedicated G.984 (GPON) based FTTH or FTTP gateway and also the first provider in Australia to offer broadband services at up to 100 Mbit/s download and 20 Mbit/s upload speeds which were made available on 4 September 2009. The gateway build in the suburb of Forde close to the Gungahlin township trunks back to TransACT's core network in Dickson via a high-bandwidth MPLS backbone. With such infrastructure in place, TransACT is able to offer triple-play services to customers via fibre without the need for any copper in the path, thus enabling higher bit-rates. Similar PON technology and network hierarchy has been chosen by NBNco Limited, the company established in 2009 to design, build and operate the National Broadband Network

As of end of 2009, five new greenfield suburbs, namely Forde, Franklin, Crace, Casey, Bonner, some parts of Kingston and the Flemington road corridor, were all wired up for this next-generation technology with many new suburbs expected to come on board in the ACT region. As of mid-2010, the total number of premises passed through had reached almost 11,000.

TransACT also offers a range of wholesale services to business and ISP customers, including Colocation, IP transit, peering, data centre services, VPN, managed services, point-to-point and point-to-multipoint services including VPWS and VPLS services of up to 1 Gbit/s for customers anywhere on their network.

In July 2010, they launched the 'eHub', Australia's first commercial IPTV product bundled with a feature-rich set-top box capable of handling high-definition video with an onboard personal video recorder.

Queue the Q....Its a lie I tells ya! All a dream coz Alan Jones told me so and that Andrew Bolt from the always truthful Daily Tele agreed.
I don't have one
Bagman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bagman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 10:02am
BD, I'm still getting over HOW they could offer a FTTN option and NOT have researched it at all. I mean they said it will cost an exact $29.5 Billion , they couldn't have just dreamed that figure up could they?
I mean surely that's the reason why it cant be done now at that cost and time frame with the promised outcomes they went to an election with?
Otherwise they would look like Labor on the issue .....
OMG Questions is right , its all a lie!!!
I don't have one
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 10:13am
Bagman I think the only truthful thing they have said about the NBN was 3 years ago when Abbott appointed Turnbull shadow minister for destroying the NBN

They knew that was a bad position going into an election, so like many other policies they just said "what they said" with no plan or intention to do anything but open a hundred enquiries and a commission of audit to back out of everything promised.

Dishonest!!

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 10:28am
BD .. Wasn't there an almighty set of problems arrived to virtually stop the progress.    I recall asbestos as one mentioned.
Was the suggestion that the ALP lied about progress made. False.
Would there roll out have ever been completed.
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 10:32am
Maxie, all the so called problems were well know before the election, but it didn't stop Abbott and Turnbull making their false promises anyway.

The only real impediment is a will to do it and disappoint PM Rupert
Bagman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bagman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 10:47am
Its hilarious that maccamax knows about the asbestos and the LNP didn't until the report came in this week.
The other key to remember when the LNP privatised Telstra one of the conditions was they no longer had to maintain the cables so the asbestos was never going to be removed. Ever.
If they DID fully disclose the asbestos when selling to Mum and Dad investors they never would have received the $$'s they did.
I get a chuckle when the conservatives try and use the asbestos as a way to whack the wrong party for the problem. Then again the Murdoch empire said very little so the Murdoch fans and listeners like the aforementioned don't know..... par for the course for some.
I don't have one
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 11:10am
Rupert recently increased his stake in Foxtel. Why would he do that if internet tv on fast broadband is going to cut holes in in it? Because his bought and paid for govt is ensuring it wont happen
Bagman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bagman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 11:45am
Add that to the attacks on the ABC for having the temerity to be online , for all and for free and we start to see a picture developing....
I LOVE the NBN idea , yet cannot believe that BOTH parties have been using it as leverage at the cost of the truth. FTTp, FTTn I just want our country brought into the 21st century...
I don't have one
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 3:01pm
How much are telstra going to bleed turd bull for ?  

piggy now saying we will replace the bad copper ??   10 years ago it was according to him 10 minutes to midnight,gets on NBN says copper is all good,now saying bad copper will be replaced..

bizzar to say the least     its ok Turbull can take him out on the tact he owns with other board member.
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

wc ... That's a lot about nothing.
Do you practice to achieve such perfection./?

anything over 3 words or containing facts is about nothing to you 
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 3:04pm
Murdock is happy because his mate wing nut has eliminated competition 
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2013 at 7:00pm
another brilliant reason why we are going forward

I see that on the upload rates, we rate at no 96, behind such advanced countries as Uganda, Tanzania and Senegal.

Even Papua New Guinea beats us, rated at 81. Bangladesh at 70 and Ethiopia at 39!

Of course, use of FTTN and HFC will ensure that we retain our place on the rankings, we may even make into the hundreds as many of those lower than us on the list are doing FTTP roll outs.

It's OK, the jobs/productivity of the future will go to those other countries who will have the infrastructure to support it. Meanwhile, our "infrastructure" PM is busy building... roads.

Bagman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bagman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2013 at 7:05pm
The good news is we will now get most of the opening days , for movies at the cinema.
No one can host it at that speed. True story...
I don't have one
questions View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2013 at 9:19am
you do realise that we have the choice of which upload rate that we want to use and most people are content with the 1mb standard that our operators wish to use. that includes most business's.

probably have no idea what you are talking about and why.

we can get much higher download and upload speeds if we wanted them. nobody wants to pay for it though. 

"it's not gambling if you're absolutely sure you're gonna win" Barney Stinson
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2013 at 9:26am
Of course technology has ground to a halt, and that upload speed will be sufficient in 8-10 years time when the NBN is completed.

$80B on we will be in the same or worse position, still grappling with decayed copper networks

Dumb, dumb, dumb.
questions View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2013 at 9:33am
has not ground to a halt. since when does technology ground to a halt.

this is the inexperience argument that keeps getting brought up. 

copper is a fantastic medium for data transfer and i have a feeling that all those states that have been mentioned as having faster upload rates have copper too.

the way data is transferred can be improved by improvements the routers and switches break down the data and send the data through. that is why you have copper lines that could not transmit a kilobyte 50 years ago and now can handle 10GB connections.

i know when i first looked into it the 10GB connections were up to zero metres of copper 5 years ago and now it is 15m. 

if you want a faster upload, which most people do not need unless they are in a company with serious cloud activity, then ring up your provider and ask for a 8mb up and down line. and you will get it and pay more for it.

if you dont, then stay on the standard 1mb upload that all the providers automatically put you on.

you can argue for those that do not wish to care and only want to believe in a pipe dream, where you are 100% incorrect is when you say that the technology has ground to a halt. 

the data transfer rates have massively increased over time and will continue to do so over copper. 
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2013 at 9:09pm

has not ground to a halt. since when does technology ground to a halt.

this is the inexperience argument that keeps getting brought up. 

copper is a fantastic medium for data transfer and i have a feeling that all those states that have been mentioned as having faster upload rates have copper too.

the way data is transferred can be improved by improvements the routers and switches break down the data and send the data through. that is why you have copper lines that could not transmit a kilobyte 50 years ago and now can handle 10GB connections.

i know when i first looked into it the 10GB connections were up to zero metres of copper 5 years ago and now it is 15m. 

if you want a faster upload, which most people do not need unless they are in a company with serious cloud activity, then ring up your provider and ask for a 8mb up and down line. and you will get it and pay more for it.

if you dont, then stay on the standard 1mb upload that all the providers automatically put you on.

you can argue for those that do not wish to care and only want to believe in a pipe dream, where you are 100% incorrect is when you say that the technology has ground to a halt. 

the data transfer rates have massively increased over time and will continue to do so over copper. 

have you forgotten your nun chairmans words on copper ??  its 10 minutes to midnight.

now just for you Q if you are more than 400 meters from a node you are dead,if you are in a house with 2,3, or 4 computers you are dead,if it rains you are dead,this system your mate turn bull has adopted is a pigs breakfast,hotchpotch on the run.

its embarrassing that you being the most intellectual person that lives cannot understand this.

around the world  other industries have been successful based on the ""built it and they will come" philosophy that was the whole point of NBN  a game  changer that will now sit idol for 3 more years.

YES and most progressive countries are going FTTP  
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2013 at 9:32pm
interesting read from
buddeblog.com.au
The VDSL vectoring and G.Fast technologies are still in their infancy – Australia will be one of the key guinea pigs globally, and again a range of issues will no doubt crop up - 

HFC network. This has already largely been written off by the two operators, Telstra and Optus – for more than a decade they have shown little interest in using this technology for high-speed broadband delivery. Investments in this network have been very low or non-existent and, again, the question of the quality of the network is a serious issue. The new plan basically calls for a total overhaul of the current networks and basically what it will deliver is an HFC network that is as good as new, and in principle it can deliver FttH quality. However this will depend on how the network is configured, as this is a shared technology and the more people using it, the lower the quality gets.

it is possible that many areas will have to be serviced by three different technologies. This in itself will be a logistical nightmare. 

if there are not any delays, this more complex plan will only be delivered three years earlier than the FttH plan 

FttH, however, is – as everybody, including the Minister, agrees – by far the best future-proof technology. It will last for the next 25-50 years. Is three years going to make that much difference if the alternative model will eventually have to be upgraded anyway? 

The good thing is that the FttH rollout will continue into 2015, which will give the government some breathing space to get its house in order. As mentioned, for the next two years the FttH will remain the major technology to be rolled out. If we get, let’s say, 20% penetration of Australian premises by 2016 it will be interesting to see what the media reports will be at that time compared with the developments surrounding FttN and HFC connections, which by that time will only have just started to ramp up. There could well be a similar outcry by the Opposition at that time, lamenting delays and cost blowouts. - 

It is about catering for the dozens of devices in the home that will be connected to broadband. The NBN is as much about facilitating the mobile and wireless developments as it is about the fixed network itself. The growth in services that need to be accessed from the cloud, as well the millions of M2M sensors and devices, requires a synchronous robust network, one that has enough capacity, is secure and protects privacy.

If we had politicians with that level of vision we could have asked our engineers to deliver us an NBN that could do all of that. And if that had been done they most certainly would not have come up with a network that had very different levels of quality, capacity, robustness, security, etc.

questions View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2013 at 9:42pm
i am currently .39km from the closest node(seriously i checked). lucky for me that the house i live in was not 10m to the left or otherwise i would be dead.

better not tell me next door neighbors.

and i dread to live in a house with only 4 computers. what are we, back in the 2000's already.

the build it and they will come philosophy has had an impact on local areas where they focus on the suburbs to provide high speeds data transfer and high quality data centres with high security. that has provided the areas of innovation.

not delivering it to the burbs so they can download movies and porn faster.

more than happy to have areas such as mascot and sydneyt cbd that have either a high amount of the highest quality largest data centres in australia(mascot) or financial districts( sydney cbd)

those people will pay for it and use it and make money from it.

the worse part is that the nbn was developed to go to the burbs and this has meant the roll out is slow and those that are willing to pay for it do not have access.

i dont care of Ziggy said then or now. i know what copper can and wont do. the irony is that you would of attacked him for what he said 10 years ago about copper and now you want to use it against him. 

and the quote is 5mins to midnight he said 10 years ago. i wonder how many times you were wrong on your predictions 10 years ago? you have struggled to stay correct for 5mins and therefore we can only wonder what future you saw for 2013. 

flying cars anybody. 

mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2013 at 9:59pm

i am currently .39km from the closest node(seriously i checked). lucky for me that the house i live in was not 10m to the left or otherwise i would be dead.

and i dread to live in a house with only 4 computers. what are we, back in the 2000's already.

the build it and they will come philosophy has had an impact on local areas where they focus on the suburbs to provide high speeds data transfer and high quality data centres with high security. that has provided the areas of innovation.

more than happy to have areas such as mascot and sydneyt cbd that have either a high amount of the highest quality largest data centres in australia(mascot) or financial districts( sydney cbd)

the worse part is that the nbn was developed to go to the burbs and this has meant the roll out is slow and those that are willing to pay for it do not have access.

i dont care of Ziggy said then or now. i know what copper can and wont do. the irony is that you would of attacked him for what he said 10 years ago about copper and now you want to use it against him. 

and the quote is 5mins to midnight he said 10 years ago. i wonder how many times you were wrong on your predictions 10 years ago? you have struggled to stay correct for 5mins and therefore we can only wonder what future you saw for 2013. 

flying cars anybody. 

MY prediction for you Q is you will still be working for somebody LOL being supervised ? 
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2013 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by mc41 mc41 wrote:

flying cars anybody. 

MY prediction for you Q is you will still be working for somebody LOL being supervised ? 

ummm  forgot to say nooooo because unlike you I wasn't a know it all then Thumbs Up
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2013 at 10:22pm

If you believe NBN Co executive chairman Ziggy Switkowski and Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull, the NBN Strategic Review released last week is all about re-using HFC cable, implementing Fibre to the Node and minimising the use of Fibre to the Premises. However, a close reading of the document shows that it also finds that former NBN Co chief executive Mike Quigley was right: Labor’s original FTTP vision can still be delivered very affordably and in a timely manner. I analyse the issue in an extensive, 3,500 word article on Delimiter 2.0 this morning. A sample paragraph:

“A close reading of NBN Co’s Strategic Review report published last week shows the former chief executive of the company was overwhelmingly correct: A predominantly Fibre to the Premises National Broadband Network can still be rolled out with only modest cost and timeframe implications. But that’s a truth that nobody currently involved in the process seems to want to hear.”

I’m not the only person to have noticed this. I note this article by Informa senior analyst Tony Brown,published on the Sydney Morning Herald. In it, Brown writes:

“… the Strategic Review concludes that NBN Co could actually build the all-FTTP NBN by mid-2024 – just three years behind its original schedule and only four years after the completion of Turnbull’s hybrid model … From a political perspective it now gives his opponents the chance to ask, ‘Why are you delivering a second-class network when we could have a world-class FTTP network with just a couple more years’ work?’”

Politicians are fond of telling selective versions of the truth. It is true that the NBN Strategic Review recommends a model which heavily favours re-use of the HFC networks as well as FTTN/FTTB options … a model which nicely dovetails with the Coalition’s policy requirements. What is not clear at this stage is why this makes any sense at all, when Australia could have a fully fledged almost universal FTTP network for only a few billion dollars more and only a few years later, if a different path was taken.

But then, that’s politics. Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull has conclusively demonstrated he doesn’t want to hear sense … or even, really, hear the public at all, when it comes to NBN policy. No doubt the Minister would prefer that commentators such as myself and Brown not continually raise these inconvenient truths. No doubt the Australian public, or at least the 70 to 80 percent of it which supports Labor’s NBN model, would prefer the Minister actually, you know, do his job and get Australia a better broadband network, one which would propel us into the future rather than looking squarely into the past.

mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2014 at 8:20pm

It should be obvious that Orwell’s comments on the abuse of language for political purposes apply very well to the current NBN situation. In December NBN Co’s Switkowski said the company’s preferred Multi-Technology Mix approach would deliver fast broadband to homes “more quickly and at less cost … by investing taxpayers’ money appropriately on the right technologies at the right time, by translating a long term milestone into a rolling series of realistic and actionable near term plans, and by being alert to upgrades in technology and shifts in consumer needs.”

What a bunch of old-fashioned Orwellian bullgelati. What neither Switkowski nor Turnbull said was that this would be accomplished by cancelling a third of the existing NBN rollout, forcibly acquiring and upgrading high-risk HFC cable networks which don’t offer Australia a long-term broadband solution, and leaving much of the rest of Australia with a FTTN rollout that even Switkowski admits would need upgrading five years after it was completed. Orwell was right; it’s time to stop accepting the way our politicians talk in public. It is only when we stop using their words ourselves that we will see the reality of our tragic situation.

mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2014 at 9:31pm
news Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull and NBN Co have been invited to formally respond to specific allegations raised by the Opposition yesterday that evidence shows NBN Co’s Strategic Review published last year is based on “flawed and unreliable” premises and was in fact designed by Turnbull to constitute a “pre-ordained political outcome”.

Yesterday the NBN Senate Select Committee, which is controlled by Labor and the Greens, published an extensive 194 page interim report into its initial findings regarding the revamp of the project. You can download the report here in PDF format. Former Communications Minister Stephen Conroy said that the report showed there were seven major problems with NBN Co’s Strategic Review, including:

The review assumes a delay in the time taken to complete Labor’s fibre build that is at odds with NBN Co’s current run rate, but is used to strip out $11.6 billion in revenues and add $13 billion to peak funding
The review excludes approximately $4 billion in ‘business as usual’ architecture savings from Labor’s fibre build, which were signed off by previous NBN Co management
It assumes higher costs for the fibre build would add $14.4 billion in capital expenditure, a claim which is at odds with evidence from NBN Co and the Department of Finance and does not allow for normal and reasonable build efficiencies
The review includes overly pessimistic revenue assumptions for the fibre build that do not reflect existing strong demand for NBN services, or the high data usage patterns of Australians using the NBN and ignore demand for important elements of broadband quality, particularly reliability and upload speeds
The review adds a third satellite to NBN Co’s deployment, without direct explanation and with a launch assumed at such a time (FY2021) to include costs but exclude revenues from scenario comparisons
It includes scenario comparisons which include costs and revenues for the Multi Technology Mix build at assumed completion, but exclude revenues worth $15 billion from a fibre build after 2021
It acknowledges that the MTM model will need to be upgraded, but then refuses to outline the costs for these upgrades, dramatically reducing the real cost of the MTM

The Coalition’s dissenting response to the Opposition’s statements on the issue is also contained in the committee’s report. However, the dissenting response does not specifically address any of the points made by Labor with respect to NBN Co’s Strategic Review. Because of this, Delimiter has directly invited Turnbull and NBN Co to respond to the specific allegations.

In its response, the Coalition complained heavily about what it described about “an abuse of process” relating to the publication of the Senate’s report

mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 9:14pm
Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull and NBN Co have declined to formally respond to specific and ongoing allegations raised by the Opposition and other commentators that evidence shows NBN Co’s Strategic Review published last year is based on “flawed and unreliable” premises that undercut the Coalition’s case for radically overhauling Labor’s NBN project.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 21>