Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

NBN

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 1:24pm
This fits perfectly with the Great Disappointment's thought bubble on agility although I'm sure Jobson Growth wouldn't have been too happy about the productivity loss. The one positive thing about having a waffling hypocrite as PM is that at least he can't stuff up a specific portfolio again.
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

David Sneddon's NBN fails regularly, so he's come up with an ingenious fix. From ABC7.30

The guy doing the interview doesn't exactly speak clearly but, did he say the other guys NBN connection was one of the first to be connected? If so ( I've listened 3 times so could be wrong ) then wouldn't he have the Gillard brand of NBN? You know the one she promised Tamworth but apparently didn't happen even though Tony Windsor sold his ass to the ALP.

It doesn't say if he has a fibre connection, or a wireless connection, or a satellite connection.
Which is it? Because if it is a satellite, the NBN rep on the phone when asking for a connection would have asked about any trees that could block the signal. Which was the case with me. The installer made sure he had a clear target to the north/northwest. This guy has trees everywhere.

Looking like a centre left propaganda episode to me.
I started with nothing and still have most of it left
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 2:50pm
I think the Central Coast was one of the first connected with fibre to the node in 2013 with the next stage to connect to the home but Mal decided that FTTN was all that was needed and pumped up his 4G network and wireless mixing of technologies 3 years on as more connections have been made, the situation as predicted by those who wanted FTTH are coming true, the more connections to a node the slower the service. As for 4G, as you know we got it here 3 years ago and I got it for a few days and haven't seen it since and my ADSL has slowed from 14-16mbps to 5 I know that guy feels having to hang out of tree or stand in the middle of the road withy a leg in the air to make a phone call. We have a Telstra hot-spot at the end of the street and after registering to connect to it, even standing right next to it I am better with 3G. I would rather the $50billion they are spending on dodgy submarines had been spent to fix this properly and as originally planned

3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 3:04pm
Surprised you missed the obvious chance to blame "the Greens" for forcing him to keep all that nasty veg around his house? 

Conspiracy theories aside, it could simply be just one of thousands of complaints about the shoddy service provided by NBNCo and its contractors. 

Anyone who has any grasp of the complexities of this project should have no trouble understanding why the initial startup was slow and why taxpayers should expect much swifter, more efficient and more stable connections now (and much better performance in those areas in the next decade) - even if the actual Lib-Nat Turnbull system is stuck in the 20th century.
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 4:21pm
Well my NBN is much faster than the ADSL2+ I previously had, both here and at Hervey Bay. I would get download speed of up to 18Mpbs with ADSL2+ at times and that doesn't rival what I'm getting now from the satellite. And because it has only just become available I will guess and say it was a Turnbull initiative. Many others in this region have also joined and are gobsmacked at how much better the NBN is.

I can download full length movies in less than 20 minutes and sometimes closer to 10 minutes.   Not bad for what is supposed to be a remote area. Streaming videos like Racing.com or RacingNSW are faultless whereas before with ADSL2+ I would have a race stop part way through and buffer for half a minute. 

And all at half the cost. I answered NBN's survey and gave every question a 10 from 10.

scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 4:24pm
With all those tree around PT I was thinking maybe it was your BOL in the Video. Being that you are infact tied down with Green Tape in your little corner of the world. Big smile

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 4:32pm
Residents of the Byron Shire in northern New South Wales have elected their highest number of Greens councillors yet, putting the council in the running for the title of Australia's greenest.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 4:34pm
I have yet to aquire the taste of soy chai latte yet. 
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

I have yet to aquire the taste of soy chai latte yet. 

Might not fit the paleo diet?

Can you even prune your trees in your shire? Ahh I love the sound of a chain saw in the morning.Big smile
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 6:49pm
I was at Scamander earlier this year. You can't even drink the water there without boiling it.LOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by scamanda scamanda wrote:

Well my NBN is much faster than the ADSL2+ I previously had, both here and at Hervey Bay. I would get download speed of up to 18Mpbs with ADSL2+ at times and that doesn't rival what I'm getting now from the satellite. And because it has only just become available I will guess and say it was a Turnbull initiative. Many others in this region have also joined and are gobsmacked at how much better the NBN is.

I can download full length movies in less than 20 minutes and sometimes closer to 10 minutes.   Not bad for what is supposed to be a remote area. Streaming videos like Racing.com or RacingNSW are faultless whereas before with ADSL2+ I would have a race stop part way through and buffer for half a minute. 

And all at half the cost. I answered NBN's survey and gave every question a 10 from 10.

The logic is impeccable. Ignoring the arrant nonsense extracted from Abbott's suppository of knowledge that "Turnbull virtually invented the internet in Australia", he has no input to or say in the technology mix provided by NBNCo. Theconservatives' major input has been to ensure that a second rate, apparently not-upgradeable, but initially less expensive FTTN system is the base offering to most people.
Mr Prospector View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mr Prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 6:10am
I believe that video conferencing will be a key requirement for almost all business in the future and particularly so for farmers . Farmers with a mix of modern GPS equipment to complex harvesting equipment ,video conferencing would give them the ability to diagnose and repair some highly complex gear . The applications in health and education and finance services for rural and regional people are obvious and enormous as well .
What the effect of a second rate service for the rural economy will have ,will be to make running any business or service to those areas second rate . They will migrate to the city if possible and further strip the country areas of jobs and growth .
For those that believe it's all just too expensive to bring fibre to nearly everyone then copper in its day was expensive , but there was little question that nearly everyone should have copper .
The current short sighted view is frustrating and this policy has the ability to obliterate the national party from existence once this plays out fully , and rural Australia realises they have been dudded .

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 10:26am
this policy has the ability to obliterate the national party from existence once this plays out fully , and rural Australia realises they have been dudded .

As unlikely as it seems, it wouldn't be before time - with the odd exception.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 10:32am
Turnbull was out and about again today preaching innovation and agility, and getting bombarded by journalist questions where he answered all of them  supporting coal and copper and blaming Labor for holding back growth by wanting fibre networks and renewable energy. He has reached peak TonesOuch
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 11:39am
Originally posted by 3blindmice 3blindmice wrote:

this policy has the ability to obliterate the national party from existence once this plays out fully , and rural Australia realises they have been dudded .

It may be just slightly overstated , but the Nats have sold out the country areas on NBN . 
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Mr Prospector Mr Prospector wrote:

It may be just slightly overstated , but the Nats have sold out the country areas on NBN . 

I believe it was Tony Windsor who sold out the National party electorate for a mythical fibre NBN. He was elected on his National Party values but sided with the devil in Gillard.
His electorate gave him their answer at the last election when he tried to oust Barnaby, after running with the major policy of once more getting fibre to the door in Tamworth. He lost the election when he appeared on Q&A with that stance. Keep punching Tony.Confused

I'd like to hear how you could actually have every household in Australia connected together via fibre Mr Prospector.

The biggest hold up for the NBN under Gilard was the contractors erecting the towers and that was well publicised so you can't ignore it.

Every rural community was never ever going to be connected via the mythical fibre web that would slowly spread across the continent. But you still believe in it? Really?

The towers and satellite were always the only option any political party had for rural Australia. Or do you think the government should run that mythical fibre web connecting Tibooburra NSW, Oodnadatta SA, Warburton WA, Kintore NT, Jundah Qld and Rosebury TAS? 
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by scamanda scamanda wrote:

Originally posted by Mr Prospector Mr Prospector wrote:

I believe it was Tony Windsor who sold out the National party electorate for a mythical fibre NBN. He was elected on his National Party values but sided with the devil in Gillard.
His electorate gave him their answer at the last election when he tried to oust Barnaby, after running with the major policy of once more getting fibre to the door in Tamworth. He lost the election when he appeared on Q&A with that stance. Keep punching Tony.Confused

I'd like to hear how you could actually have every household in Australia connected together via fibre Mr Prospector.

The biggest hold up for the NBN under Gilard was the contractors erecting the towers and that was well publicised so you can't ignore it.

Every rural community was never ever going to be connected via the mythical fibre web that would slowly spread across the continent. But you still believe in it? Really?

The towers and satellite were always the only option any political party had for rural Australia. Or do you think the government should run that mythical fibre web connecting Tibooburra NSW, Oodnadatta SA, Warburton WA, Kintore NT, Jundah Qld and Rosebury TAS? 

if the voters of New England wanted National Party values they should not have voted for the man that left the National Party in 1991.Handshake 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 5:55pm
Scamanda
I don't think labour would do a lot better and I don't care who does it , but the NBN is the most important infrastructure project in our history bar maybe the PMG's copper network .
The problem is that the node technology and any 4g broadcasting of the internet is already obsolete and from what I can see 5g is a pipe dream that technically will never work outside the city .
The city will be running at 1 gigabit speed in the very near future and anyone not on those speeds will be left behind . That's everyone outside the city .
When it all plays out ,everyone outside those city limits will look at our city cousins and vote for the new party . The NBN party .. No Bloody Nodes Party headed by Tony Windsor .
If Oodnadatta etc.. have a copper line then the aim should be to replace it in time with fibre . No one wants to maintain the copper and it will surely fall into disrepair and it will eventually become more and more useless , otherwise those places will become totally isolated .

I can't think of the last time the Nationals stood up to the Libs (there may be one but I don't know of it ), They are just an arm of the Libs .
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mr Prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 6:02pm
Don't know how all those smiley faces ended up at the end of my post ?
Should have been one .
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 8:03pm
Mr Prospector,
I doubt many if any of those people you mentioned inside city limits have satellite NBN.

So, that is where places like Oodnadatta etc will profit. They as regional areas will slowly be introduced to the ever growing satellite network. The technology that you want for video conferencing is already available to areas with that NBN.

Areas like Miles and Mitchell in remote Queensland use a lot of technology including automatic mustering with video identification of stock. And it can be run from Brisbane with no bodies on the ground. That's how advanced regional Australia is or can be with what is available now. Publicity for this type of technology isn't shown on the national news and the cost so far appears to be acceptable. The idea was hatched by a student from UQ last year.

Innovation Agenda?
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 2:40am
There is no cable hope island Goldcoast

Satellite and adsl 😳
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 1:14pm
This "mythical fibre web" is presumably your imagination running away with itself.
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 11:59pm
A new charge to pay for Malcontents cockups coming soon 😳
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 6:14am
Malcolm Turnbull has 19 days to get the NBN installed at 7 million properties to meet an election promise

THE federal government has 19 days to get very fast broadband to seven million homes and businesses or a three-year-old promise from Malcolm Turnbull will be broken.

Labor has highlighted repeated pledges from the prime minister, then opposition communications spokesman, in the lead up to the 2013 federal election that every Australian would have access to the national broadband network by the end of 2016.

“This was no idle promise. Malcolm Turnbull made this promise explicitly, confidently and frequently prior to the 2013 election,” Labor’s communications spokeswoman Michelle Rowland said on Monday.

She says costs for the broadband rollout have blown out and there’s still no way it can meet that promised end-of-year deadline for access for all Australians.

And for those who do have access, it’s often failing expectations, Labor says.

Complaints about the NBN to the telecommunications ombudsman have more than doubled over the past year.

“No wonder Australians are fed up with all the deceit of Malcolm Turnbull’s fraudband,” Ms Rowland said. “They are simply not getting what they paid for.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 6:17am

Promise check: Deliver minimum broadband speeds of 25 mbps by 2016 and 50 mbps to 90pc of fixed line users by 2019

Updated 8 May 2016, 3:37pm

The Coalition went to the 2013 federal election with a commitment to deliver a "better" National Broadband Network.

It set out a specific timetable for when households and businesses would have access to particular minimum download speeds.

"Our goal is for every household and business to have access to broadband with a download data rate of between 25 and 100 megabits per second by late 2016. Downloads average less than five megabits per second at present," the policy document said. It sourced the present figure to Akamai's State of the Internet report.

The document also contained a longer-term target of "50 and 100 megabits per second by the end of 2019 in 90 per cent of the fixed line footprint".

"Approximately 65 per cent of the FTTN portion of the rollout is expected to be completed in the four years to 2016-17. The remaining 35 per cent will be deployed in 2017-18 and 2018-19," the document said.

At the time of the election, Australia's average connection speed sat at 4.8 mbps, according to Akamai's State of the Internet Report.

Assessing the promise

The latest figures from Akamai's State of the Internet Report show Australia's average connection speed was 8.2 mbps in the last quarter of 2015.

As the deadline approaches to deliver access to all Australians to minimum broadband speeds of 25 mbps, the number of premises that NBN Co has passed sits around 2 million.

Experts told Fact Check that the likelihood that the Coalition could achieve its target by the end of the year is extremely low as the number of premises which would be required to be made ready for service by the end of 2016 is too great.

Since being elected, the Coalition itself has repeatedly stated that the 25 mbps goal for all of Australia was a goal that was overestimated.

Whether the Coalition could still meet the 2019 target is irrelevant, as it will almost certainly miss the first benchmark in the promise, so Fact Check considers this promise to be broken.

Here's how the promise tracked:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-27/nbn-speeds-promise-check/5543512

mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 9:10am
Weakest PM ever in this country absolutely pathetic. Another Goldman sac ?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 3:21pm
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 4:10pm
As the NBN is busily rolled out, Australia is falling further behind with the country now slumping to 50th in the latest quarterly broadband speed rankings.

According to consumer site Finder.com.au, Australia fell four places year-on-year during the third quarter of 2016 in Akamai’s quarterly broadband rankings. This now places the nation behind Kenya, Romania and Thailand.
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 11:42am
Telstra "nothing wrong" Confused

http://aussieoutages.com/status/telstra/gold-coast
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 11:24am
Australia’s fast broadband network will be available to all homes by the end of last year, Malcolm Turnbull confirmed today.

Saying he was a man of his word, Mr Turnbull confirmed the last homes will be connected about a month ago, giving all Australians access to fast internet as promised.

“Our plan was always to deliver NBN more affordably and sooner. So if you’re still on the old system now, well then you can look forward to super fast internet by the end of last year at the latest,” Mr Turnbull said.

Turnbull, who invented the internet in the late 1990s, said it would be worth the wait. “Nothing evokes the concept of speed quite like five meters of copper wire connected to your home”.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021>