Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Climate Change - Global Warming..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 302303304305306 540>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 9:13am
Refer ALP Election Promises
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 9:15am
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Disgrace. Trying to blame coal-fired plants  https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-26/victorian-blackouts-what-caused-them-and-is-this-the-new-normal/10751412
No storm or accident damage going on here Judge. Just lack of supply due to stupid people wanting to turn their appliances on
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 9:31am
From your post oneone:

“At the same time, three electricity generation units at coal-fired power plants in the Latrobe Valley were out of action (two due to unexpected outages, one due to planned maintenance) which reduced the amount of available power.

To make matters worse, the hot weather reduced the efficiency of the coal-fired power stations that remained online, further reducing the available supply of electricity.”
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 9:52am
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

From your post oneone:

“At the same time, three electricity generation units at coal-fired power plants in the Latrobe Valley were out of action (two due to unexpected outages, one due to planned maintenance) which reduced the amount of available power.

To make matters worse, the hot weather reduced the efficiency of the coal-fired power stations that remained online, further reducing the available supply of electricity.”
  Come on Judge - you cant blame poor maintenance on coal-fired power generation. Presumably renewable energy sources need to be maintained as well. I like the way the "two due to unexpected outages" was used as an almost throwaway line  LOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 9:56am
I don’t know what happened yesterday. Do you? Some people will blame who they want to blame, but that piece seems consistent with what I was saying last night. No system can or ever will be completely fool proof.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 10:09am
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

I don’t know what happened yesterday. Do you? Some people will blame who they want to blame, but that piece seems consistent with what I was saying last night. No system can or ever will be completely fool proof.

Not even TBV since you came on board judge.     
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 10:10am
Google Vic Blackouts Judge & check out the headings. All about how it was the fact that they still rely too heavily on power stations - & more renewable's replacement would resolve it. Reality is 1 power station was down for planned maintenance, & 2 OTHER down for unexplained reasons. Bit of a stretch blaming the concept of coal fired power generation don't you think. I mean its not as if its a new technology - whats to investigate & explain. Funny how it all just seemed to happen on a really hot day when demand was through the roof. Or could it be that it actually happens more regularly due to poor maintenance but they normally get away with it ? Some real well orchestrated left leaning reporting going on here me thinks
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 10:26am
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Google Vic Blackouts Judge & check out the headings. All about how it was the fact that they still rely too heavily on power stations - & more renewable's replacement would resolve it. Reality is 1 power station was down for planned maintenance, & 2 OTHER down for unexplained reasons. Bit of a stretch blaming the concept of coal fired power generation don't you think. I mean its not as if its a new technology - whats to investigate & explain. Funny how it all just seemed to happen on a really hot day when demand was through the roof. Or could it be that it actually happens more regularly due to poor maintenance but they normally get away with it ? Some real well orchestrated left leaning reporting going on here me thinks

Well you brought it up
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

I stand amazed at how people view black outs.    When we have a loss of power its because a tree has fallen on a power line.  Or lightning has hit a station.  Or wind has blown down lines. Or a car has run into a pole and knocked it down.  Or a fuse has blown in the local power station. Or any other number of Mother Nature,s hand outs.   Once the crews come out and fix it, all is good.

You must live regional AA>

Us city dwellers don't experience those hazards.

PT is in a remote area that doesn't need electricity to light up his life .

LOLThumbs Up  Good one.
animals before people.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 1:35pm
Kosciuszko Tourists will be disappointed they have to Ski on hot water come winter.

Climate change has their Polar Bears migrating too.
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 9:15pm
I'm blaming Thanos for the latest climate change
EAD
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 10:00pm
Could use a climate change here right now.    44 in the back yard  sort of slows down the barbie .
animals before people.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 12:47am
Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

Thanks for that, the Grattan Institute, eh? - the very people who say that the ALP Property Taxes will crash the property market, and kiss it for decades!

Why the kiss would you believe them now you hopeless joke???LOL

Maybe because I’m not so one dimensional I have to either vehemently support or vehemently denigrate everything that comes from a particular source.

Most reasonable people will read something and decide to either agree with the stance posited, or disagree on the merits of the argument.

It’s a shame you don’t have intellect to even consider trying it.

#sad

ummm ... you really have no self-awareness, do you?Confused

Your capacity for hypocrisy is prodigious.Clap

In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 4:55pm

FAIRFAX SLUDGE NOW NINE’S

Oh dear, you can take the Fairfax name out of the company — as even Fairfax, sorry, now Nine, journalists write (that Fairfax is “defunct”). But you surely can’t take the climate sludge out of the Nine broadloids.

That is to say, out of two of the Nine (as in the company not the number) broadloids — The Age and the SMH. The third broadloid, the AFR, retains some links to sanity.

Did I write sludge? Veritable mountains and mountains of deep, deep carbon-infused verbal climate sludge, every day, day after day. If the soaring temperatures ain’t enough to fry you, the rushing rising seas will surely drown you.

But every now and then, totally unwittingly and decidedly unintentionally, there’s a (very small) diamond of truth buried in all the sludge. As there was in The Age yesterday.

Its editorial was demanding that we, Australia, did more to “fight climate change”.

The Pacific needed “more from us” lamented the headline.

The simple truth is that we cannot “do more”.

We could close Australia down, ship all 25 million of us somewhere else and so cut our emissions of CO2 to zero, and this would make zip, zero, nada, absolutely no difference to global climate, regional temperatures or a centimetre of the Pacific.

China would make up the difference with more CO2 in a matter of weeks. You might say, thank goodness, the world’s plants could literally breathe easy.

And so to the unintended diamond for, as The Age unwittingly observed, that the “cost of failure” was “beyond calculation”.

Yes, adding zero to zero is.

In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 3:11am
Am I on Time and a half for this late hours effort or do I have to wait until Bonking Bill wears the crown.

A terrible thought.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 3:22pm
I'm feeling sorry for all the Animals in the snow ravaged USA/Canada.  Seems you can die being out for more than 10 minutes.  Well what is happening to wildlife or agricultural animals?  They can't all be in the house or barns can they.

Look I've never been hotter than this year but I also have no answer to what anyone can do.  We can't be blamed here only in Australia despite what the islanders want from us.  Possibly because we have helped in the past and other worst contributors don't.  I've been to Hong Kong and we can't compete with what they do with aircons ect.  There are more studies into power every year and hopefully something will come of them.  Also hope this cold switch is getting into the rockies and killing the bug which is killing the fir trees.  

Do the islands have constant days over 40 or even 50 like some places in Australia have.  We also have troubles which the prime minister should be working to help.  Or the rivers and fish kills.  I dislike being told we are to blame for everything.  This world is a big place and we all contribute to the good and bad.  The small islands less by far but they just can't blame Australia.  We are small and really poor but pull more than out weight when it comes to helping out our neighbours.  Good of us but about time they didn't think that they should just make us feel guilty to pay up more.

The trouble is the city and country is getting further and further appart.  City living is getting more easy and our country cousins do it harder every day.  We have to find a way of helping them or we will have no source of food in coming years.  If that means finding a way to get water out over the mountains to the interior then so be it.  Should help with the water ways out there also. 
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by furious furious wrote:

I'm feeling sorry for all the Animals in the snow ravaged USA/Canada.  Seems you can die being out for more than 10 minutes.  Well what is happening to wildlife or agricultural animals?  They can't all be in the house or barns can they.<div id="UMS_TOOLTIP" style=": ; cursor: pointer; : 2147483647; : transparent; top: -100000px; left: -100000px;">

Look I've never been hotter than this year but I also have no answer to what anyone can do.  We can't be blamed here only in Australia despite what the islanders want from us.  Possibly because we have helped in the past and other worst contributors don't.  I've been to Hong Kong and we can't compete with what they do with aircons ect.  There are more studies into power every year and hopefully something will come of them.  Also hope this cold switch is getting into the rockies and killing the bug which is killing the fir trees.  

Do the islands have constant days over 40 or even 50 like some places in Australia have.  We also have troubles which the prime minister should be working to help.  Or the rivers and fish kills.  I dislike being told we are to blame for everything.  This world is a big place and we all contribute to the good and bad.  The small islands less by far but they just can't blame Australia.  We are small and really poor but pull more than out weight when it comes to helping out our neighbours.  Good of us but about time they didn't think that they should just make us feel guilty to pay up more.

The trouble is the city and country is getting further and further appart.  City living is getting more easy and our country cousins do it harder every day.  We have to find a way of helping them or we will have no source of food in coming years.  If that means finding a way to get water out over the mountains to the interior then so be it.  Should help with the water ways out there also. 

We should be feeding the southern rivers from the North.

Labor has had us waste $25 billion on their Boat people . Think what could have been done with that on Northern dams , Coal fired energy & Mining for home use $ export.
We make little difference to any Pollution and provide the Coal to be burnt else where.   Crazy
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 7:55pm
The heat and cold are nothing new.

The damage that Australia does to the planet is like the effect of a pimple on the ass of an elephant ... and if we stopped everything tomorrow, it makes NO DIFFERENCE ... we could build half a dozen new clean coal-fired plants, and that would change nothing either.

The whole thing is a hoax, it is a scheme to take our wealth and redistribute it - that is Communism.

That is why Communist China has NO EMISSIONS RESTRICTIONS UNTIL 2030, and has hundreds of new coal-fired plants on the drawing board and in production ... and then, who really believes that they will abide by the reductions in 12 years time? ... fantasy land, they will do whatever they please and will be the biggest economy on the planet ... they don't have a particularly humane record for treatment of their citizens, wonder how they look after their animals, if that is a concern ... we all remember the old jokes about Chinese restaurants and dogs and cats!Shocked

We will eventually have affordable, reliable alternative energy ... at the moment we don't, and it is not coming any time soon.

When they come, we will adopt them - in the meantime, we are just dummies, being sucked dry by the Communists under the guise of the Climate Hoax.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 8:32am
Nice climate change here last night.  Big smile  Went from blazing hot 44 to nice rain, without a crashing storm, cool breeze, and about 28, in the space of 2 hours. 
Now THATS climate change Clap
animals before people.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 1:16pm

Nice climate change here last night.  Big smile  Went from blazing hot 44 to nice rain, without a crashing storm, cool breeze, and about 28, in the space of 2 hours. 

Humidity crushes me AA...     Anyone thinking of moving North should consider that .        I know many who can't handle it .

When your reared and spend 30 years in the Mountain Snow areas , It's not easy to cope in the sticky, oxygen starved , Hell, of this " Hot Box ".
   Queensland ,

We should punish China and give it to them .   Palashady isn't doing much with it.
marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 3:56pm

Humidity crushes me AA...     Anyone thinking of moving North should consider that .        I know many who can't handle it .

When your reared and spend 30 years in the Mountain Snow areas , It's not easy to cope in the sticky, oxygen starved , Hell, of this " Hot Box ".
   Queensland ,

We should punish China and give it to them .   Palashady isn't doing much with it.

what are you doing here then macca - cooler climes at you age might help you think a bit straighter
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by marble marble wrote:

Queensland ,

what are you doing here then macca - cooler climes at you age might help you think a bit straighter

Ohhh My ----   Marble.     I realise , if you ever get Haemorrhoids you will be treated by a Dentist ,     But surely you don't want to fall to the level of ( You know who )AND choose the aged as your victim .        Doesn't paint you in good light.
marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 6:13pm

Queensland ,

Ohhh My ----   Marble.     I realise , if you ever get Haemorrhoids you will be treated by a Dentist ,     But surely you don't want to fall to the level of ( You know who )AND choose the aged as your victim .        Doesn't paint you in good light.

ive got nothing but respect for the aged macca - just don't think they should be allowed to vote as their thinking is not relevant to the issues of the day and they grossly over represent the electorates
  It's just human nature to be stuck in the past - you still think its 1945.
I'm 55 and will gladly take a step back in ten years time to hand it to the youth
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 6:50pm

Queensland ,

ive got nothing but respect for the aged macca - just don't think they should be allowed to vote as their thinking is not relevant to the issues of the day and they grossly over represent the electorates
I'm 55 and will gladly take a step back in ten years time to hand it to the youth

No interest in this thread apart from checking it out occasionally... but WOW. "The aged shouldn't be allowed to vote" because "they're thinking is not relevant" and "take a step back"?

No. What an upside-down way of thinking.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 6:56pm
And coming from someone who's 55.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 7:23pm

Queensland ,

No you wont.  Not when the pollies of the day want to stuff you about with your money , while they draw their massive $$$ for doing just that.

animals before people.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 9:01pm
Marbles OK AA ...    just got into the wrong company.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 9:44pm
Yeah, give him his 10 years to retirement, and when he starts sitting home counting, and spending , his Super, and the pollies want to dip into it, after all his years working for it, while they sit by with their massive pay cheques, and hand outs, even after retirement, and he will sing a different tune Thumbs Up
animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 6:53am
I asked this question last night:

Gay - Ballarat Vic. says:

Could any or some of the floodwaters flow into NSW & Vic, given a few months Anthony?

In theory I guess most of the floodwaters head out to sea, which is the biggest waste and should be a punishable offence. The stupid thing is, if we sent all of this monsoonal rain inland everywhere and planted trees and vegetation, we would alter the weather patterns and drought proof this country.

Instead, we spend 5 Billion a year on subsidies for renewable energy, so our prices sky rocket and we have black outs on hot days. So to answer the question, the Lake Eyre system will likely see a fair portion of the Mt Isa rain, it should arrive in time for May as it will take a few months. Don’t think the Murray Darling Basin will get any, it will need to be a huge rain event in NSW I think.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 7:13am

Yeah, give him his 10 years to retirement, and when he starts sitting home counting, and spending , his Super, and the pollies want to dip into it, after all his years working for it, while they sit by with their massive pay cheques, and hand outs, even after retirement, and he will sing a different tune Thumbs Up

hope its not ten more years working AA ! I'm more worried what the pollies are doing about tackling climate change given australians are right up there per capita in carbon emissions. We emit more per person than China, USA, EU - something that needs to change.
People argue that totals are insignificant compared to world emissions but doesnt it all end up in the same atmosphere?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 302303304305306 540>