Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Climate Change - Global Warming..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 292293294295296 540>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 11:27am
I see China has stopped the importation of the world's garbage for processing and recycling. We (619,000 tonnes) along with much of the world have been transporting 30 million metric tonnes a year garbage there, and following loud outcry from their population who want a cleaner environment it stops today. Who is now going to take care of our rubbish that is already stockpiling in mountains of the stuff? How much additional pollutant will be pumped into our air? 
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by Fiddlesticks Fiddlesticks wrote:

I have never been able to understand one way or the other why this has been such a massive issue.

Is Global warming occurring...and what is the best evidence..?

Whenever I think of this topic I remind myself of when this planet was in it's infancy, cooling and spewing out billions of tons on carbon dioxide etc etc...

If we are seeing global warming I am unsure there is anything we could do at this point to negate its progress. If the earths population is nothing but a algal bloom coming into final phase, or bacterial cycle etc, then we would all be gone anyways, if all we are worried about is a weather cycle that was doing it's own thing anyway, was given a bit more energy via our carbon output to complete it's cycle faster, then it all seems to point to one thing really...Competition for control of new energies driven by fear campaigns and bogus science.

A very good post ..     Covers things perfectly and 5 years later =   
        WHAT'S NEW PUSSY CATS >

Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

Originally posted by Fiddlesticks Fiddlesticks wrote:

I have never been able to understand one way or the other why this has been such a massive issue.

Is Global warming occurring...and what is the best evidence..?

Whenever I think of this topic I remind myself of when this planet was in it's infancy, cooling and spewing out billions of tons on carbon dioxide etc etc...

If we are seeing global warming I am unsure there is anything we could do at this point to negate its progress. If the earths population is nothing but a algal bloom coming into final phase, or bacterial cycle etc, then we would all be gone anyways, if all we are worried about is a weather cycle that was doing it's own thing anyway, was given a bit more energy via our carbon output to complete it's cycle faster, then it all seems to point to one thing really...Competition for control of new energies driven by fear campaigns and bogus science.

A very good post ..     Covers things perfectly and 5 years later =   
        WHAT'S NEW PUSSY CATS >

Completely wrong on all points. You would be embarrassed if your second-grade kid wrote that for a science report.

No wonder you like it.Wink
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 2:44pm
It covers things well by the = "I don't know " emphasis.

Who does know ---    Tim Flannery ?----   

Certainly appears to be like everything in life = CYCLICAL
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 2:54pm
Stop slinging personal Censoredt macca Angry
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 4:05pm
The 1st of you pair to respond off topic earns a vacation, followed by the other if retaliating Angry
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 4:29pm
Winter in America is COLD & I just keep growing older,
I wish I could have known enough of love to leave love enough alone !
Refer ALP Election Promises
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 4:32pm
Great song lines, when you think about it, 1-1.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Winter in America is COLD & I just keep growing older,
I wish I could have known enough of love to leave love enough alone !

It's global warming in Australia & the Ice Age in The USA .

Surely that must confuse the "believers" but what I want is more reasonable Power prices.
Subsidising the world isn't fair and to top it off , Government is allowing other outlets to do the same gouging.
Water service rates up over 20% this time, Fuel prices in Oz crippling.
Being careful with usage doesn't help as the increases are on providing the service.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 12:19am
It is simple macca ... but there's no government subsidies in "simple" ... you have to make it complex and confusing, and you have to provide "models", that always turn out wrong - and "catastrophic predictions", that never happen ... like the Climate Alarmists do!Embarrassed

Hey PT, can you explain to NOB how you like to deceive everybody and make them think that coal is subsidised at a competitive level compared to renewables, and that "the market" is choosing based on anything other than GREED, when that is a blatant lie?... maybe you could explain the maths for him and Whale whilst you're at it!Thumbs Up

Seems he cant be bothered to do the research himself, and is happy to believe your misleading half statements, which is ironically exactly what you wanted!Clap

Come on PT the WHOLE truth will set you free!Hug
Newtown Old Boy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newtown Old Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 7:29am
Still nothing? OK
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 7:47am
#SAD
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 9:11am
Dr E ,how much emissions does a volcanic eruption produce, you never answered that one LOL

Newton  he simply ignores uncomfortable questions and moves on to the next unbalanced rant Ouch
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 9:57am
One wonders about out sister planet, Venus. Where the hell did its 90 Earth atmospheres Carbon Dioxide blanket come from ? Was it from a lifetime of volcanism ? Did Earth spew a comparable amount out, only for life (particularly plant life) convert it into geological carbon, like coal, oil sands and shales, oil etc ? You would say not, 90 Earth atmospheres is a vast amount. It really was a remarkable achievement that Russian space probes in the 1960's were able to send back pictures of the rocky Venusian surface, in the hellish environment of pressure well over 1000 psi, and temperatures hot enough to melt lead.
Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

I see China has stopped the importation of the world's garbage for processing and recycling. We (619,000 tonnes) along with much of the world have been transporting 30 million metric tonnes a year garbage there, and following loud outcry from their population who want a cleaner environment it stops today. Who is now going to take care of our rubbish that is already stockpiling in mountains of the stuff? How much additional pollutant will be pumped into our air? 

should be made to take it back. was their rubbish in the first place.LOL

now there is an opening for some country to have a start up, with on going supply.

how about canberra? we need industry...
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 2:05am
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

It is simple macca ... but there's no government subsidies in "simple" ... you have to make it complex and confusing, and you have to provide "models", that always turn out wrong - and "catastrophic predictions", that never happen ... like the Climate Alarmists do!Embarrassed

Hey PT, can you explain to NOB how you like to deceive everybody and make them think that coal is subsidised at a competitive level compared to renewables, and that "the market" is choosing based on anything other than GREED, when that is a blatant lie?... maybe you could explain the maths for him and Whale whilst you're at it!Thumbs Up

Seems he cant be bothered to do the research himself, and is happy to believe your misleading half statements, which is ironically exactly what you wanted!Clap

Come on PT the WHOLE truth will set you free!Hug

Ok, both PT and Whale you have been FAILED on this maths problem.Dead

NOB, you get a did not complete, so pay attention, and thank me later!Wink

Here are the "cheats" that PT doesn't want to talk about ... we will even use PT's numbers.

$11 Billion is spent in subsidising coal, which produces approximately 32% of our energy generated

$2.6 Billion is spent subsidising wind and solar, which contributes less than 2% of our energy generated

So which energy type is subsidised at a far higher rate?

The answer, even on a very basic assessment is clear that the WIND AND SOLAR SUBSIDIES ARE MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE (GENEROUS TO THE PRODUCER) THAN COAL SUBSIDIES ... Get it?

So if you are an ENERGY PRODUCER like, lets say AGL, and the government says "we will give you $300 to produce wind and solar energy, or $100 to produce coal fired energy ... WHAT DO YOU THINK THE GREEDY CEO, EXECUTIVES, BOARD and SHAREHOLDERS WILL DO? ... the GREEDY market decides, based on the hand out of TAXPAYERS MONEY doesn't it PT!?Embarrassed

So the "COAL IS MORE HIGHLY SUBSIDISED LIE" is exploded, and the "MARKET DECIDES MYTH" is just another FRAUD, just like the MODELING and CATASTROPHIC PREDICTIONS the money driven Climate Industry produces.Dead
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 6:57am
Doc, why did the govt put a bullet into the Australian auto industry?

It's time was up, and they said they couldn't justify propping them up any longer because what they were selling was not what Australians wanted.

Same with coal.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 11:01am

It's time was up, and they said they couldn't justify propping them up any longer because what they were selling was not what Australians wanted.

Same with coal.

Your reasoning is astounding.
The whole bluddy world is running on Coal.   They can't get enough of it.
Australia's green madness is bringing us down , We subsidise the rest with this stupidity.
   How has your life improved since power prices went through the roof.
People who can't afford them are dying due to weather extremes.

Spare a thought for some age care areas where A/C would be rationed or non existent.

To provide the rest with cheap energy using our resources.
marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

Same with coal.

Your reasoning is astounding.
The whole bluddy world is running on Coal.   They can't get enough of it.
Australia's green madness is bringing us down , We subsidise the rest with this stupidity.
   How has your life improved since power prices went through the roof.
People who can't afford them are dying due to weather extremes.

Spare a thought for some age care areas where A/C would be rationed or non existent.

To provide the rest with cheap energy using our resources.

why are we having weather extremes Macca? do you think using clean energy might alleviate the weather extremes?
by the way it has been pointed out a few times privatisation of the energy industry has sent costs skyrocketing. You pay more for infrastructure than energy use
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 12:11pm
Marble :-     Weather extremes have been a part of natural cycles since the year dot.
Statistics show Australia's worst "Weather related Disasters" were in the 1800's.
My memory of the worst, severe weather of my time , goes back to the 1940-50's.    There has been regular repeats I am aware but news coverage makes us more aware , these days.
You wouldn't be suffering from any weather related problems today , any more than the people 100--200 years ago.      Your more aware of events but they are purely the Cyclical patterns.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 1:13pm

A brief history of Victorian floods

1839 – Yarra River: The first recorded flood caused by the Yarra River bursting its banks. Though the first European explorers noted evidence of previous floodwaters.

1860 – Yarra River: A deluge of rain, that continued unabated for almost 24 hours, hits the central business district of Melbourne, with water swamping Bourke Street, Collins Street, Elizabeth Street and Flinders Street.

• Share on Facebook SHARE
  • Share on Twitter TWEET

• < ="social__" value="" wtx-context="7FBF9F59-AB88-4452-8FEC-D446086193D3" ="text">
    The 1923 flood kept Hawthorn residents on their toes ... and bikes. The 1923 flood kept Hawthorn residents on their toes ... and bikes. Photo: Fairfax archive

1863 – Yarra River: The Yarra River burst its banks again, with flooding the largest on record at the time.

1870 – Campaspe, Goulburn, Murray and Ovens Rivers: A year of floods for Victoria, impacting particularly on Echuca, Rochester, Shepparton, Wangaratta and Yarrawonga with some regions experiencing record-breaking flooding events.

Flooding on Morang Road, Hawthorn, in 1932. Flooding on Morang Road, Hawthorn, in 1932. Photo: Age archive

1891: Referred to at the time as the "Great Flood": More than 3000 people were forced to abandon their homes. Lasting two days and two nights the flood predominantly effected people in Richmond, Collingwood and Prahran.

1906 – Maribyrnong River: The 1906 flood hit Footscray and Kensington hard and was among the largest on record with the Maribyrnong gauge measuring waters at 5.18 metres.

1909 – Avoca, Barwon, Hopkins, Loddon, Merri and Richardson Rivers: Many towns in western Victoria were severely impacted by this flood. The towns of Kyneton, Maryborough and Inglewood all recorded their highest ever monthly rainfall. Residents of Halls Gap and Stawell were evacuated and four deaths were recorded at Winchelsea.

1923 – Yarra River: Severe flooding hits large parts of Melbourne, including Hawthorn, Abbotsford, Belgrave and Fern Tree Gully. The deluge washes away bridges, rips up rail, and damage from landslides impacts the supply of water from the Yan Yean reservoir.

• Share on Facebook SHARE
  • Share on Twitter TWEET

• < ="social__" value="" wtx-context="28858A06-7381-4E10-8089-3D1FFE2C5EB8" ="text">
    The 1923 flood hits Hawthorn. The 1923 flood hits Hawthorn. Photo: Age archive

1934: Over 48 hours, more than 140mm of rain fell over Melbourne and 350mm fell in South Gippsland. More than 400 buildings were damaged, 6000 people made homeless and 36 people died. A single lake formed from South Yarra to Warrandyte.

1946 – Glenelg River: Referred to at the time as the "Big Flood", the Sandford and Casterton areas were hit with over 220mm of rain over four days. The Glenelg River at one point was rising at the rate of 300mm per hour.

Everyone needs a helping hand during storms and floods. Everyone needs a helping hand during storms and floods. Photo: Fairfax Archives

1972: Over a short period of time 75mm of rain pummels Melbourne, sending waves of water down Elizabeth St. Age photographer Neville Bowler is on the scene taking an iconic photo of the Melbourne deluge.

2010 - Victoria: Widespread floods hit Victoria. Heavy rains over five days hits many of the state's major rivers. A state of emergency is called, and crews from Queensland, South Australia and Tasmania arrive to help with the carnage.

2011 - Victoria: More severe than the 2010 flooding, over 51 communities in western and central Victoria are impacted. More than 1730 properties experience damage in one of Victoria's worst floods on record. Areas already experiencing major flooding were hit by follow-up rainfall events, including Tropical Low Yasi.

2016 – Avoca, Loddon and Wimmera Rivers: Towns throughout Western Victoria and along the Great Ocean Road are pummelled with heavy rainfall. The Great Ocean Road was closed after floods trigger more than 150 landslides and rockfalls. A farmer dies in the storm.

Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 1:14pm
    Originally posted by marble marble wrote:

why are we having weather extremes Macca?

One has to laugh at extreme cold weather events being attributed To AGW, as has sometimes been the case. It does not add credibility, suffice to say, if resort has to be made to blaming a heating world for freezing weather, then the argument is a strange one indeed, it would be like blaming weight loss on eating too much food !
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 1:21pm
    With Gay3 talking of flooding, just about every flood these days gets blamed on "extreme weather event related to global warning". The most intense cyclone in Australian history, since European settlement, occurred in the 1890's, north of Cooktown. It wiped out a pearling fleet, but the sparsely settled area spared casualties on land. Were that to recur today, the "experts" would be certain to point to it as caused by AGW.
    Carioca View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 1:41pm
    I think the year may have been 1973 working at Flemington when the the river flooded , the whole track at least 4 feet under, the pool table from the anglers hotel was bobbing up and down near the 6 furlong start of the straight six, a well know apprentice at the time managed to find out about it and somehow extracted every zac out of it ( he's still alive)we all had to move the horses up to the Showgrounds , wading around in freezing water it was'nt the best of times, funny stories too numerous to mention.
    marble View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 1:41pm
    of course extreme weather events are nothing new - the belief is with global warming they will become more severe and frequent
    why do i feel like this has been said 1000 times already
    maccamax View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 1:45pm
    Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

With Gay3 talking of flooding, just about every flood these days gets blamed on "extreme weather event related to global warning". The most intense cyclone in Australian history, since European settlement, occurred in the 1890's, north of Cooktown. It wiped out a pearling fleet, but the sparsely settled area spared casualties on land. Were that to recur today, the "experts" would be certain to point to it as caused by AGW.

I went on flood relief work in 1954.    My Employer donated a Truck and numerous Men.       Unbelievable.      So we have Levies and dams since.
    But no more Rain , wind , heat , ice , snow.etc.
       Oz is in Summer Heat =   The USA in winter freeze.    Tim Flannery has caused water Tanks and Decal. Plants everywhere.    WRONG he was .
    Don't people get it.
        BY the way ;-     We have BIG fires on the way.   Not to do with extreme weather but the affected areas haven't experienced drought in some time =    The recipe for fires .     In NSW , watch the Blue Mountains & lower Hunter
    ( Putty Road to Windsor & surrounds )
    Vic is known for severe Fires --- I don't know the recent few years rainfall averages but when it goes go up it is bad bad bad.   Cyclical.
    Gay3 showed the excess water isn't new.
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 1:46pm
    I can believe more extreme heat events, but extreme cold events ? Give me a break !
    Carioca View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 1:57pm
    New York this Sunday Max.temp -12, Boston -17 , Montreal - 27, rather cold.
    maccamax View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 2:22pm
    I know the Tim Flannery name gets boring but he did have great influence and has cost us billions for being WRONG. >

Why won't people accept he was wrong instead of jumping on his next MAD prediction as being fact.

If we believe all these unsubstantiated claims then we should rest easy..
    Jesus Christ will save us.       Prof. Flannery won't.
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 2:26pm
    What was Tim's specialty, Taxidermy ? He certainly stuffed-up the "permanent drought" prediction !
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 292293294295296 540>