Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Climate Change - Global Warming..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 264265266267268 538>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 8:54pm
I think you've just put your finger on the crux of the argument 3bm ...

How many times has coral bleaching on the Great Barrier Reef been as bad as this in the past?
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 9:06pm
Good to see you try and exercise a few of your brain cells but that question has as much relevance as, for example,  how many mares have won maidens when assessing a likely winner of any maiden. To explain in simple terms - there is a range of questions you could ask to determine the part AGW might have played but that's well down the list of relevance. 
cabosanlucas View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 9:07pm
is clive a reader here?

Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 9:10pm
3bm, haven't you anything better to do than confuse the Doc with matters involving complex logic?
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 9:13pm
Sorry, that should read "...basic logic".  Embarrassed
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by cabosanlucas cabosanlucas wrote:

is clive a reader here?

won't he be all knowing soon?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Sorry, that should read "...basic logic".  Embarrassed

Elementary would be even more apt SC.
cabosanlucas View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by 3blindmice 3blindmice wrote:

Originally posted by cabosanlucas cabosanlucas wrote:

is clive a reader here?

won't he be all knowing soon?

japanese maple.

Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

3bm, haven't you anything better to do than confuse the Doc with matters involving complex logic?

Since I'm easily confused, I ask a simple question ... I'm happy to have anyone answer it ...

How many times has coral bleaching on the Great Barrier Reef been as bad as this in the past?
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 11:26pm
... oh, and what did humans do to reverse it?
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 4:23pm
Climate Myth... & confusing to say the least=
C/P =Ice age predicted in the 70s
"[M]any publications now claiming the world is on the brink of a global warming disaster said the same about an impending ice age – just 30 years ago. Several major ones, including The New York Times, Time magazine and Newsweek, have reported on three or even four different climate shifts since 1895." (Fire and Ice)

What was the scientific consensus in the 1970s regarding future climate? The most cited example of 1970s cooling predictions is a 1975 Newsweek article "The Cooling World" that suggested cooling "may portend a drastic decline for food production."

"Meteorologists disagree about the cause and extent of the cooling trend… But they are almost unanimous in the view that the trend will reduce agricultural productivity for the rest of the century."

A 1974 Time magazine article Another Ice Age? painted a similarly bleak picture:
"When meteorologists take an average of temperatures around the globe, they find that the atmosphere has been growing gradually cooler for the past three decades. The trend shows no indication of reversing. Climatological Cassandras are becoming increasingly apprehensive, for the weather aberrations they are studying may be the harbinger of another ice age."
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 5:09pm
Why if this is in the Global Warming your talking Global Cooling (mind you I'm sitting here freezing at the moment).  I can't get warm at the moment but as an excuse have been sick for a week so maybe the body isn't right yet.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

"[M]any publications now claiming the world is on the brink of a global warming disaster said the same about an impending ice age – just 30 years ago. Several major ones, including The New York Times, Time magazine and Newsweek, have reported on three or even four different climate shifts since 1895." (Fire and Ice)

What was the scientific consensus in the 1970s regarding future climate? The most cited example of 1970s cooling predictions is a 1975 Newsweek article "The Cooling World" that suggested cooling "may portend a drastic decline for food production."

"Meteorologists disagree about the cause and extent of the cooling trend… But they are almost unanimous in the view that the trend will reduce agricultural productivity for the rest of the century."

A 1974 Time magazine article Another Ice Age? painted a similarly bleak picture:
"When meteorologists take an average of temperatures around the globe, they find that the atmosphere has been growing gradually cooler for the past three decades. The trend shows no indication of reversing. Climatological Cassandras are becoming increasingly apprehensive, for the weather aberrations they are studying may be the harbinger of another ice age."

I must admit, I was around in the 1970s, with ears pricked, and this global cooling theory you speak of completely passed me by- I never heard of it.

I will investigate.

"Global cooling was a conjecture during the 1970s of imminent cooling of the Earth's surface and atmosphere culminating in a period of extensive glaciation. This hypothesis had little support in the scientific community, but gained temporary popular attention due to a combination of a slight downward trend of temperatures from the 1940s to the early 1970s and press reports that did not accurately reflect the full scope of the scientific climate literature, which showed a larger and faster-growing body of literature projecting future warming due to greenhouse gas emissions."LOL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_cooling

That's 15 seconds of my life I've wasted on maccamax claptrap.

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 7:10pm
TIAZ...     Your claptrap has no more merit that the copy & paste I put forward. which is widely referred to in media debates.
    Global cooling in the 70's being a conjecture is about as definitive as the global warming / Climate change conjecture of today.

Ask Professor Flannery .

It is more like Religion ,   Nothing to support the claims of a variety of delusions.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 7:58pm
The likelihood of a mini Ice Age has apparently been suggested of late but this was strongly refuted by AV Weather on June 11:

Ian Holton uses the Sun primarily, Ken Ring uses the moon, all of us have our beliefs and what it is that makes the climate do what it does. I use everything, I leave no stone unturned, and never stop learning. For every good forecast, there is a bad one, that is the nature of weather.

No cycle or system is ever the same, period. It just doesn’t happen, because we can never ever see the exact same set up. Similar, yes, the same, no way. Computer models are only a guide, its about seeing the flaws in them that makes for a better forecaster.

You should always have one eye on the bigger picture IMO, and thats why I think we will see a very good period in the 5 to 10 years of La Nina’s and cooler temperatures, for reasons I have explained today.

I will explain one more thing, I could really go one for days but I better wrap this up and start talking about todays weather!

Now, there is a lot of talking about a little Ice Age coming, and I don’t want you to believe a word of it. You know my beliefs already, what we are seeing today is the product of many decades/centuries of solar energy stored in the oceans.

We came out of the little ice age in 1880, 160 years after solar started to pick up again in 1720, as you can see. The sun was dormant for centuries, and this caused the little Ice Age.

So, if you are someone who uses logic, and can see that there is a correlation between solar and heat in the oceans, just exactly where do they think this energy from the last 160 years will go?

All of the heat from the last 2 centuries of solar activity is currently in the oceans, will it magically disappear? It just goes to show how unhinged some people are becoming about this whole climate debate.

There has never been a better time to be alive than right now, we are not too hot, and we are not too cold. Our seasons and years are being controlled by ocean cycles, and so far we are not seeing anything like a little ice age, or a Medieval Warm period. And judging by this graph above, we have at least another 100 years of temperatures similar to what we have today.

If the balance gets tipped one way, we then see a response, and these events and responses take decades/centuries to happen. There is nothing to suggest we won’t see natural cycles continue for at least the next 2 centuries, long after we are gone.

Yes, we will see cooling that means by 2030 – 2040, we will be consistently back to average with global temperatures, changing how the weather behaves, and that will be on the back of the cold AMO.

But to suggest a mini ice age is simply preposterous, for all of these reasons. We are at a climatic optimum, our rainfall deficiencies in the last 3 decades are on the back of the AMO, and its about to turn Negative next decade, and our rainfall will increase.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 8:37pm

& what about the claims we were about to run out of oil not long after Macca....remember those charlatans running around making a fortune giving seminars/ selling tapes predicting it was doomsday. Wonder what they are doing now....probably living in one of their dozen mansions around the world. Deary me !
Refer ALP Election Promises
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 2:49am
Oneonesit;-what about the claims we were about to run out of oil etc.
          Yes oneone ,    Never to rain again , put in a water tank ( what was going to fill it if there was no rain ( madness).
The dams will be empty . World wide starvation ,   Flannery the Scientist who gets big money for being wrong .
History will show Climate change , as the 2nd greatest hoax ever.

The No1 greatest hoax is this rubbish about 72 virgins . What fool ever imagined there would be 72 on the planet.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 9:09am
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

& what about the claims we were about to run out of oil not long after Macca....remember those charlatans running around making a fortune giving seminars/ selling tapes predicting it was doomsday. Wonder what they are doing now....probably living in one of their dozen mansions around the world. Deary me !

The peak oil forecasts were wrong because they found new sources and new ways of getting at them. Unless you expect them to find a non-carbon producing fossil fuel or a global cooling influence soon the comparison is not apt.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 12:30pm
If the peak oil forecasts were wrong       >>      Just maybe =
The Climate change conjecture is just as wrong .     Aye
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 4:10pm
Thank God that the Global Cooling predictions were wrong ... sounds scary (and it's cold enough this week)!!!

Global Warming is so much better for the planet!Thumbs Up
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 4:15pm
Still no answers to my previous "dumb" questions ....

scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

There are facts that can be twisted to suit either side of the Climate Change debate.

It appears we don't always get cyclones, so we get bleaching. A cycle. When we get cyclones, we don't get bleaching because there is plenty of water churning.

“When there’s plenty of cyclones, there is plenty of water churning,’’ he said. “When we don’t get cyclones, that’s when you get still water conditions and bleaching

From the link provided by 3bm, it takes a decade for the coral to return. A cycle. 
"The 10-year recovery hasn't even started yet, because of the back-to-back bleaching," he said.

So it's easy to say the climate is causing coral bleaching because it is.
The climate has been changing ever since the big bang though. 

Climate Change = Natural Succession.

I started with nothing and still have most of it left
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 11:56pm
As Scamanda says ( Cyclical ) like everything else in life .

wasn't long ago it was starfish destroying all in it's path but to cement their employment "scientists " have now come up with coal and /or other causes for bleaching .
Ever stop and think that the reef has the same cycle as all life ,   it is created , lives and dies .     > Then the cycle starts again.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 12:54am
The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away. Continual alarmism causes a lot of people to just tune-out, I certainly recall Professor or Dr Robert Endean banging on about the imminent demise of the reef, at the hands (or tentacles) of the Crown of Thorns Starfish 50 years ago, when I was a kid, it sounded like BS then even. Old Joh used to call it the "Star of Crowns Thornfish". As if humans could remove it from thousands of reefs. It ran its course and is now rarely heard of. But I'd say lots of idealistic and conscientious people lost sleep from what in retrospect looks like alarmism and a little self-promotion.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 1:07am
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away. Continual alarmism causes a lot of people to just tune-out, I certainly recall Professor or Dr Robert Endean banging on about the imminent demise of the reef, at the hands (or tentacles) of the Crown of Thorns Starfish 50 years ago, when I was a kid, it sounded like BS then even. Old Joh used to call it the "Star of Crowns Thornfish". As if humans could remove it from thousands of reefs. It ran its course and is now rarely heard of. But I'd say lots of idealistic and conscientious people lost sleep from what in retrospect looks like alarmism and a little self-promotion.

YES MM.     They had people killing the starfish at great cost and predictions were the end of the Barrier Reef.
   50 "Flanneries " later and consultation with big AL Gore,    The delusion tank has found another job security method to push.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 2:32am
Originally posted by scamanda scamanda wrote:

Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

There are facts that can be twisted to suit either side of the Climate Change debate.

It appears we don't always get cyclones, so we get bleaching. A cycle. When we get cyclones, we don't get bleaching because there is plenty of water churning.

“When there’s plenty of cyclones, there is plenty of water churning,’’ he said. “When we don’t get cyclones, that’s when you get still water conditions and bleaching

From the link provided by 3bm, it takes a decade for the coral to return. A cycle. 
"The 10-year recovery hasn't even started yet, because of the back-to-back bleaching," he said.

So it's easy to say the climate is causing coral bleaching because it is.
The climate has been changing ever since the big bang though. 

Climate Change = Natural Succession.

You got it scamanda ... CYCLES! ... once you get your head around it, everything is so clear ... everything works in cycles!

Warming of the ocean bleaches the coral, cyclones cool the water and the coral recovers - funny, Global Warming was supposed to bring increased numbers and intensity of cyclones (when they decided that endless drought was wrong that is!) - another myth busted!

... and the answer to my question is ... NOBODY KNOWS, because we have only been keeping records on coral bleaching for less than 40 years, and the reef is 2,500 years old ... and yet, to suit their agenda, the Climate Alarmists will quote this as the WORST EPISODE OF BLEACHING EVER!!! 

... and humans did nothing to reverse it last time ... it just went through it's natural CYCLE OF RECOVERY ... as it did the time before, and the time before that, and ad infinitum.

The frightening thing is that the gullible, naive, guilt-ridden, uneducated, tree hugging, brain washed lefties who subscribe to the CFMEU/ALP/Soros funded GetUp, honestly believe the lies that they publish almost weekly, stating that the bleaching is caused by mining, and that the Australian government can somehow do something about it by stopping coal mining, and that the Adani Mine must be stopped or the reef will be lost forever ... the "Adani Crown of Coal Starfish"!!! ... I love it max m ... it's true! ... nothing is new or original, even the scare campaigns go in predictable cycles!!!Embarrassed
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 9:35am
The COTS is still a major threat to the GBR and the reason why the threat has been mitigated is because of the mitigation programs over the decades. Look it up- educate yourself- learn something- crawl out of your pit of ignorance.Cry
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 9:41am
You present the COTS threat as a complete hoax, they did nothing about, and the threat simply went away- that is the opposite of the truth- complete bullsh*t.

There was and is a big threat from the COTS and they did something about and are still doing something about it. There is a lesson there.

JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 9:50am
Climate doesn't move in "cycles", it responds to "forcings". You could argue that orbital forcings (causing ice ages and the like) move in cycles, but these play out over millenia and have nothing to do with what we are currently experiencing:

JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 9:53am
The notion the climate's changed before as so we're not in any way responsible is like arguing that because bushfires swept the continent before man arrived then we can't have any impact on them now. It's just natural...Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 264265266267268 538>