Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

NSW Bushfires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 11:46pm
a local in the area just told me 17 TBs and a mini were turned loose by fire fighters in the Londonderry Road area earlier.  all her stables and fences are gone. 
animals before people.
Go Flash Go View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Flash Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 11:51pm
Excactly the same pattern as in Victoria. WA etc. When they do the investigations they can save time writng a report by using this

POOR communications, insufficient resources, and the need for better risk management were among the findings in the Noetic post-incident analysis reports into the Margaret River and Nannup fires of November 2011. < =load/lazy>See your ad here

Released on Thursday, the reports note that the prescribed burn was identified as a ‘red flag’, or ‘potentially risky and difficult burn’, as was the fire that escaped into Prevelly.

They noted that DEC was concerned about the potential for escape when they began the burn.

“However, when this fire did break out, given the fire’s rapid rate of spread and the prevailing conditions (weather, terrain and fuel) the resources immediately available were clearly insufficient,” the report stated.

“Although DEC quickly began to resource the suppression effort the situation was effectively irrecoverable.

BROOKE View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BROOKE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 12:11am
I must admit, my gut feeling on todays fires, was controlled burning done the night before by fireman, became out of control the following day.
I suspect this is a huge stuff up by the CFA
Like to think it isnt, coz you want them to get it right, but it just seems a big stuff up.
They are calling it "arson".
Not so sure about that.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Flash Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 8:35am

Green nutjob Cate Faehrmann on national television last night blames Climate Change for the Sydney fires. Did l say Green nutjob ? How about telling us how the greens mis-manage the parks, that would be closer to reality.

Brooke, in Victoria we have the DSE which is better known by locals as the Department of Sparks and Embers.
waggamick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waggamick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 10:31am
Build in bushland.
Build on coastal sand dunes.
Build next to rivers.
Build on escarpments.

Live the dream expect the nightmare.

Don't worry...just risk your families ..risk your financial situation...as long as your aesthetically pleased...what a view!

Emergency Services will risk their lives to keep your unrealistic situation as you want it.
I'll pay extra taxes and your urban neighbours will pay extra rates to maintain your lifestyle.
We'll all pay increased insurance premiums.

And when the folly of your selfish lifestyle sees it burn, collapse and sink around you we'll pass around the bucket diverting charitable funds from more deserving charities.

It's not like this is the first bushfire we've ever had.
Why do people and animals have to die and we have to pick up the tab to reinforce your repeated folly?
The Dude Abides
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 10:55am
 they have admitted this morning that hazard reduction burn-offs, especially at Winmalee, might have been the cause of some of the out-breaks...

didn't take a genius to work that out...

STUFF UP RFS...

want to dispute the facts, Whale?

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 10:59am
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

they have admitted this morning that hazard reduction burn-offs, especially at Winmalee, might have been the cause of some of the out-breaks...

STUFF UP RFS...

no but I will wait for official explanation as any writer worth their salt should do
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 1:46pm
since i dont do stalkbook, has anyone heard any updates on the horses at Londonderry that were let free ???  
animals before people.
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 3:30pm

Closed fire stations 'put lives in danger'

HOUSES and lives were put in danger in yesterday's fire, as a result of government budget cuts, unions say.

The Fire Brigade Employees Union hit out at the NSW government for closing five fire stations on one of the hottest days this year.

Fire stations in Camden, Riverwood, Miranda, Mona Vale and Ryde were closed yesterday, but as soon as the bushfire emergency hit, off-duty firefighters were called back to work.

FBEU secretary Jim Casey said the government's decision to temporarily close stations was putting the community at risk.

"You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that hot weather and strong winds can mean bushfires, but it appears to be news to the O'Farrell Government who have been caught with their pants down today," Mr Casey said.

"Off-duty fire crews had to be called in as neighbouring stations raced to protect life and property, all because budget cuts have left large areas of Sydney without adequate fire protection.

A spokeswoman for emergency services minister Michael Gallacher said weather conditions were unexpected, and all trucks brought back to work as soon as fires began.

''With over 100 fire trucks and stations on duty in the Greater Sydney Area (GSA) on any given day, around 10 fire trucks were undertaking training while another four fire trucks were temporarily offline this morning. As unforecast weather conditions and bushfire emergencies unfolded, all training was cancelled and all trucks were brought back on line.''

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Flash Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

since i dont do stalkbook, has anyone heard any updates on the horses at Londonderry that were let free ???  

LOL  Now acacia, did you really expect to get a reply to this ?
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

STUFF UP RFS...

no but I will wait for official explanation as any writer worth their salt should do

enough evidence now, Whale?

admitted the Winmalee fire was DEFINITELY their fault...also the one that started on the M4....  .

one other is arson?...another a falling power pole...and the last one they are still investigating...

the Winmalee fire was the most devastating...

whomever made the decision to burn-off in unsuitable conditions...temps of 30 degrees...should be booted...

Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 1:46pm
yes enough for me now, mere mortals like us actually wait for official explanations, unlike high IQ people like yourself, and don't you like telling us about it, who are able to reach conclusions at the speed of light Thumbs Up
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

yes enough for me now, mere mortals like us actually wait for official explanations, unlike high IQ people like yourself, and don't you like telling us about it, who are able to reach conclusions at the speed of light Thumbs Up

you are worse than me at telling people off...

the Spelling Nazi...the Grammar Nazi ..

the ultimate "voice of reason" Nazi...

the Dead-bore of the site...

Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

Crash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 2:15pm
Be nice JJ
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 2:16pm
Not nice, I am depressed and that doesn't help Cry
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 3:32pm
Bank Robbery in Sydneys main Street at 11.15am.      50th person shot in Western Sydney.      10 in a Coma from recent Street violence .
Climate change has everyone behaving badly.   Increase the Carbon tax .. Quick.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by Go Flash Go Go Flash Go wrote:

Guess not ! Stern Smile  Silly me Cry  Everyone too busy having pot shots at each other .LOL
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Flash Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 7:54pm
Well fancy that happening.

Seriously though, you probably already know, re fencing, a couple here in Victoria, Kevin and Rhonda Butler started a volunteer group called Blazeaid which ironically just wound up at  start of September.

It was mainly begun for rebuilding fencing as they saw the urgency for this, and it got a massive response from all manner of people in the community even o/s backpackers.

You'd know the culture of rural communities chipping in to help neighbours better than a city softie like me. But you never know who'll show up and from where once word gets out from an organisation like this.

They'd have the whole set up/template, plans etc they used to go from.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 1:24am
that was a wonderful organisation if its the one i am thinking of.  a group like that did wonderful work after last year,s fires at Coonabarabran and the Warrumbungles.  Mainly grey nomads and retired folks, the one I heard of. But whoever they were in all the groups, just wonderful,  good people.
animals before people.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 1:42am

Guess not ! Stern Smile  Silly me Cry  Everyone too busy having pot shots at each other .LOL
I would not have a "pot shot" at you Acacia...your one of my favourites !
Refer ALP Election Promises
Fiddlesticks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 1:50am
Originally posted by waggamick waggamick wrote:

Build in bushland.
Build on coastal sand dunes.
Build next to rivers.
Build on escarpments.

Live the dream expect the nightmare.

Don't worry...just risk your families ..risk your financial situation...as long as your aesthetically pleased...what a view!

Emergency Services will risk their lives to keep your unrealistic situation as you want it.
I'll pay extra taxes and your urban neighbours will pay extra rates to maintain your lifestyle.
We'll all pay increased insurance premiums.

And when the folly of your selfish lifestyle sees it burn, collapse and sink around you we'll pass around the bucket diverting charitable funds from more deserving charities.

It's not like this is the first bushfire we've ever had.
Why do people and animals have to die and we have to pick up the tab to reinforce your repeated folly?

this...

Panspermia.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

I would not have a "pot shot" at you Acacia...your one of my favourites !

LOL @ JJ ! 
we/this area  had a huge storm last night,  lots of lightning and not much rain.  this morning i can smell fire and the mountains are smoke shrouded, so i am hoping the NP isnt alight.  if it gets going in there they will never stop it.
animals before people.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 12:43pm
 I wasn't trying to be a smart-alec...just worried that irresponsibility was costing people their homes, health and possibly lives...

every time they burn-off, they do it on days when the wind carries the smoke to the city and coast...which means the fires are moving toward populated areas...

can't understand their reasoning...

BROOKE View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BROOKE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 12:47pm

I wasn't trying to be a smart-alec...just worried that irresponsibility was costing people their homes, health and possibly lives...

every time they burn-off, they do it on days when the wind carries the smoke to the city and coast...which means the fires are moving toward populated areas...

90% of firefighters are brave and also very intelligent/educated about fires.
The other 10% are morons, psychopaths, pyromaniacs, and often the very people that start massive bushfires, as history has proven.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 10:26pm

i didnt think you were. Thumbs Up
apparently the fire at Winmalee was a burn off  that got away.  the one at Marsden Park was arson , and the one near the Windsor nature reserve was downed power lines.
Last night a big storm and lots of lightning strikes near here.  Today a couple of fires, contained thankfully.
somehow, there has to be burn offs.  but NPWS dont seem to manage it too well.  choice of time seems to be bad.  give the firies the chance to choose when all this happens.
more to the point.  let people who understand all this, organise things, instead of letting office johnnies say when it should happen.
IMHO
animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 8:54am
My brother, an RFS Captain of many years, told me this 2 years ago so I don't doubt it Angry

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 9:11am
I realise that unless the arsonists ethnicity is officially documented, it's a shocking slur on Islam in general.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 9:13am
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

I realise that unless the arsonists ethnicity is officially documented, it's a shocking slur on Islam in general.

are you saying you disagree with the article or give it credence ?
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 9:32am
So why are these jihadis setting fires out the back of beyond where hardly anybody lives and not in the suburbs?Wacko
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 10:11am
If you had a grasp of the beauty of the bush you would understand.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>