Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

NSW Bushfires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

If you had a grasp of the beauty of the bush you would understand.

That is not a put down to you Tlaz, just my reasoning fwiw.
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 1:10pm
The whole thread is interesting.  It seems in 2013 we were happy to blame the fires on fuel reduction burns being undertaken by the fire service in unsuitable conditions.  Not a jihadi or 'nutjob climate activist' to be seen.  

How narratives change. 

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 1:28pm
Yep, ever since that bloody trump crawled out from under a rock, fake news, conspiracy theories, but the end result is still the same, burnt down houses and loss of lives , livestock, aweful loss of flaura and fauna, a sad moment in time for us all.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 3:49pm
What is happening now was seen emerging by many ,   YEARS ago.

I recall mentioning Putty , The Hunter , Colo , Blue Mountains on here back then .....       The old "off season " burns were replaced by moving more people into smaller blocks and WOW did they love that "Bush" lifestyle.

We are paying the price for the inevitable ,   to anyone with Property experience.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

I realise that unless the arsonists ethnicity is officially documented, it's a shocking slur on Islam in general.

are you saying you disagree with the article or give it credence ?

I'm totally on the fence untill & IF ethnicity of the culprits is released.

Tlaz, if fires are started in the CBD or suburbs, they're very quickly put out so less likely to cause the present havoc.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2019 at 11:38am
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

What is happening now was seen emerging by many ,   YEARS ago.

I recall mentioning Putty , The Hunter , Colo , Blue Mountains on here back then .....       The old "off season " burns were replaced by moving more people into smaller blocks and WOW did they love that "Bush" lifestyle.

We are paying the price for the inevitable ,   to anyone with Property experience.

Yep.  Drive around the outskirts of Sydney, or newer areas in the mountains/colo/the oaks , etc,  and see where some of the new "lifestyle " blocks of 5 or 10 acres have been developed , and they are a disaster waiting to happen.  We travel the Putty a fair bit, to the Hawkesbury, and OMG, fair dunkum.  Its a known fire area and here they are, building homes way out in the scrub with it right up to their doors.
animals before people.
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2019 at 12:01pm
And people have been warning about it for years! I always think it’s so strange that we stop people building in the flood prone areas, worried about the once in 50 years bad flood, but we let them build no problems in the bush .
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2019 at 3:27pm
So true, Baguette.   It seems to be a given that no one wants to build on the flood plain between Richmond and Windsor, as its common knowledge that it goes under after heavy rain.   Yet no one gives a thought to building in thick scrub and forrest just up the Putty Road.
Why is that ?  If people can see the danger of flood why cant they see the danger of fire?  Give me flood over fire .
animals before people.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2019 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

So true, Baguette.   It seems to be a given that no one wants to build on the flood plain between Richmond and Windsor, as its common knowledge that it goes under after heavy rain.   Yet no one gives a thought to building in thick scrub and forrest just up the Putty Road.
Why is that ?  If people can see the danger of flood why cant they see the danger of fire?  Give me flood over fire .

Yes AA ... Baguette well put ....     I started life at Putty on Grand parents 10000 acres .....      Finished up there in retirement on 100 Acres hobby farm of that original spread.    People moving in by the hundreds .        . I could see a disaster emerging and it was the same almost every where.
   Todays problems are the fuel was grown for idiots with matches & Bic Lighters to set it all off.
So many arrested and no details of who they are ..     IS THERE A LINK TO GROUPS acting in a terrorist way.     Time will tell.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 8:33am

NSW Bushfires and Greens Policy

David Shoebridge

https://davidshoebridge.org.au/2013/10/24/nsw-bushfires/

Let me be clear: The Greens support hazard reduction. Appropriate hazard reduction activities including controlled burns are an important land management tool to protect properties and lives. Furthermore, those claiming that The Greens policy has hindered hazard reduction and therefore been responsible for the current fire situation are grossly ignorant of both our policy and our position in New South Wales. The Greens have not been in government in New South Wales. We have not been in charge or in control of back-burning operations and we have not been directing government policy. I do not say this to avoid controversy or responsibility. The Greens do have a view that hazard-reduction needs to be responsible and must not only consider lives and property but also take into account the environmental constraints and needs of our native forests.

The main decision-makers on hazard reduction are local bushfire management teams comprised of Rural Fire Service personnel, public and private landholders and local councils working together. Informed bushfire risk management plans developed by the local committees and landholders both public and private conduct controlled burns in the lead-up to the fire season where and when it is appropriate.

However, the fire season has started extraordinary early due to unseasonably warm and dry weather. This has meant in many areas that weather has been too hot or too windy to allow for safe hazard reduction programs. Officers in firefighting services, such as local members of the Rural Fire Service, have no control over the weather; nor do the Greens.

It is also not as simple as arguing that more controlled burning means increased safety. Minister Gallacher detailed this in the House yesterday and quoted Shane Fitzsimmons, who is the Commissioner of the New South Wales Rural Fire Service, on this matter. The commissioner understands the science and recognises that if we had hazard reduction every year, we would decimate our national parks and other green places. This would displace native animals in favour of pest species and would mean native vegetation would be replaced with weeds.

It is important also to recognise that regular hazard-reduction burns do not inevitably lead to lesser fire risk. The evidence shows that some of the hottest fires occur shortly after controlled burns or logging and that intact forest can often reduce the severity and extent of bushfires, particularly in the temperate forests of south-east New South Wales.

I refer members to a 2009 article by Professor David Lindenmayer from Australian National University in Conservation Letters 2 (2009), which clearly shows that a moist understorey in an intact temperate forest can be a protection against bushfires. In contrast to an intact forest with a moist understorey, a forest that recently has been logged has increased canopy openings that alter microclimactic conditions and lead to increased drying on the forest floor. It is this dry understory that makes forests particularly vulnerable to fire. Added to that is the increased fire risk from a forest comprised of readily inflammable young woody saplings as against taller, more mature and resilient forests. It is therefore of little surprise that such logged forests are substantially more fire-prone.

While in many areas targeted hazard reduction burning can reduce fuel load and protect people and property and is an essential part of bushfire management in Australia, it is not the only answer to making us safer. Better planning controls to prevent development in bushfire-prone land, improved building codes to make dwellings more fire resilient and a sophisticated approach to forest management are all part of the answer. We must of necessity also address the ongoing impact of climate change or in the future these fires will just grow more serious, more common and more damaging. In short, we need to listen to all the evidence when making policy that might affect bushfire control in New South Wales.

The Greens consider all such evidence when making our policies and I know that local bushfire management teams do as well. When I hear uninformed complaints about the alleged lack of hazard reduction burns being the cause of recent fires, I share the sentiments and echo the comments of the Minister for Police and Emergency Services, who stated:

I wish that people would keep their ignorant comments to themselves rather than talk to the media at a time when the community needs comfort.

An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 8:54am
I Love a Sun burnt Country etc etc....

Australia has and will always have bush fires .      Part of the cyclical weather patterns .
Massive population growth without the experience of minimising severe weather events , along with what may be planned terrorist style behaviour , add further to the problem.
We had generations , continue to rebuild in destroyed flood areas , only to see repeat performance .
We've had as bad or worse than this episode over hundreds of years .

Watch all the rebuilds of this devastation ,     Right in there among the Gum trees ....    Ready and waiting for the next cycle ... due 2030.
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 12:35pm
All the people I’ve heard going off about the ******** Greens in recent days are not talking about the totally ineffective political party that only have ever gotten 10% of the vote in the entire time of existence. But boy are that 10% noisy ! No they’re going off about the Environmental Lobby that have infiltrated decision making especially at all levels of government. It’s absolute rubbish to try and imply that they haven’t pushed for all the rules regulations and rubbish people have to plough through to get hazard reduction done on their properties. And that the Greens Political party wouldn’t scream blue murder if hazard reduction was made easier . I trust the old guys out here who have lived in bush all their lives , know it well and have been warning about this disaster for years. I think the very same people who were so surprised that Labor lost the election are going to be just as surprised at the backlash that’s building and the direction it will take.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Baguette Baguette wrote:

All the people I’ve heard going off about the ******** Greens in recent days are not talking about the totally ineffective political party that only have ever gotten 10% of the vote in the entire time of existence. But boy are that 10% noisy ! No they’re going off about the Environmental Lobby that have infiltrated decision making especially at all levels of government. It’s absolute rubbish to try and imply that they haven’t pushed for all the rules regulations and rubbish people have to plough through to get hazard reduction done on their properties. And that the Greens Political party wouldn’t scream blue murder if hazard reduction was made easier . I trust the old guys out here who have lived in bush all their lives , know it well and have been warning about this disaster for years. I think the very same people who were so surprised that Labor lost the election are going to be just as surprised at the backlash that’s building and the direction it will take.

Have the Greens infiltrated the Coalition at state and federal level? That is shocking.

Have they infiltrated your local council? What's the name of your Greens mayor?

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 1:24pm
The debate over hazard reduction burns after ‘catastrophic’ fire threat
November 13, 201912:37pm
Barnaby Joyce lashes out on-air during interview with Karl Stefanovic
Charis Chang
news.com.au

Planned burning is an effective way of reducing bushfire disasters, like those seen in southern Queensland and northern NSW, but there are growing challenges in getting it done.

And despite commentary from political figures, one of those challenges isn’t pressure from environmentalists and The Greens to scale back hazard reduction efforts, one expert says.

Professor David Bowman, director of the Fire Centre Research Hub at the University of Tasmania, said it was becoming harder to carry out preventive burns.

Professor Bowman said there were risks to preventive burning and fire agencies were limited by things like weather.

“The weather windows are shrinking and if you burn in the wrong conditions you can also smoke out cities and create ill health,” he told news.com.au.

Some vegetation types were hard to burn safely including wet forests because they are really combustible so can easily turn into a bushfire.
As fires burn around Australia, debate is raging as to the impact of hazard reduction burns and climate change.

As fires burn around Australia, debate is raging as to the impact of hazard reduction burns and climate change.

Certain types of terrain are also dangerous because people can get trapped during burns and Professor Bowman said some people had died this way.

He said the suggestion that The Greens had a “controlling voice or are an influence in any way” was not true.

“It’s sort of wishful thinking because the reality is the Greens don’t have much power over fire management,” he said.

“A lot of environmentalists would be pleased as punch if they had that level of control of bushfire management.”

While there are concerns from environmentalists about the most appropriate approaches to planned burns, Professor Bowman said that hadn’t significantly impeded fire management processes.

Those concerns were also understandable because of the risks involved with preventive burns.

“It’s not a trouble-free program and it’s got to be dealt with on a case-by-case basis,” he said.

One of the biggest challenges was resourcing and he said planned burns were expensive and required significant manpower, both on the ground and in the air.

Another major issue is that the window to carry out hazard reductions is getting narrower due to hotter and dryer conditions that endure for longer periods of time.

LIVE: ‘Long way to go’ in fight against NSW, Queensland bushfires
The Greens and environmentalists have been blamed for contributing to the fire disaster by opposing preventive hazard reduction burns.

The Greens and environmentalists have been blamed for contributing to the fire disaster by opposing preventive hazard reduction burns.

Former NSW fire commissioner Greg Mullins echoed the sentiments during an appearance on The Project on Monday.

“The environmental laws are fairly strict because it was indiscriminate burning many years ago, it’s not impossible to get hazard reductions done through their process, the problem is, it’s drier and hotter,” Mr Mullins told the program.

“Round here we’ve been trying to do hazard reductions all year, it’s either too wet, or too hot and dry and they get away from us.

“Yes we need to do more fuel reduction burns, if only we had the window like we used to.”

When asked by host Waleed Aly if the impact of climate change was making it harder to do hazard reduction burns before bushfires, Mr Mullins responded: “Precisely”.

Nationals MP Barnaby Joyce created controversy on Tuesday when he suggested The Greens were responsible for increasing the threat of bushfires by opposing hazard reduction burns.

“The problems we have got have been created by the Greens,” Mr Joyce told The Australian.

“We haven’t had the capacity to easily access (hazard) reduction burns because of all of the paperwork that is part of green policy.”

RELATED:

Federal

It was a claim put to Mr Mullins by broadcaster Steve Price in his appearance on The Project on Monday: “It’s this five to 10 years worth of growth, we haven’t had any fuel reduction, largely due to green policies,” Price said.

He asked Mr Mullins whether it would be better having a strong, positive, debate about preventive burns rather than “going on about climate change”.

“That’s a fallacy, and it’s always trotted out like at times like this,” Mr Mullins said.

Professor Bowman agreed, reiterating today that fire management is bound by the constraints on resources and the practicalities of burning in developed areas.

The issues are more complicated in settled landscapes like those in NSW where people’s properties can sit next to national parks and urban centres.

“In the end you’ve got a liability issue,” he said.

“I get that people don’t like paperwork, they say they are a responsible person and want to be able to light it and burn it,” he said.

“But if a fire gets out of control there are almost certain to be serious financial and legal repercussions. That’s why we have regulations.

“It’s like saying road rules are really annoying and throwing them out of the window, you’ve got to have them because not everyone’s going to drive safely, that’s human nature.”

Politicians have been blaming each other for catastrophic weather conditions for the past few days, as firefighters struggled to get blazes under control this week.

The Greens blamed the bushfires on the Morrison Government’s climate change policy, while Mr Joyce accused The Greens of playing a major role.

Greens MP Adam Bandt has said the party does support hazard reduction burns guided by fire authorities.

RELATED: Barnaby Joyce lashes out during on-air interview

Professor Bowman said blaming environmentalists or the government had become a sort-of “catch-all term” for people to vent the frustrations they felt about not being able to do the burning they needed.

“When you pull it apart, it’s about constraints, the economic and legal constraints being the big ones, as well as the practical constraints” he said.

“The suggestion that fire managers are not doing everything in their power is bewildering. Of course they are … but they have to look after other people, they can’t burn other houses down and they can’t turn a blind eye to illegal burning.”

Professor Bowman said national park and forestry services were also chronically understaffed and this impacted how they burned because they were trying to use their budgets as effectively as possible.

This stopped them from doing the more “nuanced” burning they could do if they had a bigger budget. He believes fire management needs to be managed in the same way as roads are maintained.

“You don’t just do road maintenance every 10 years because things would fall into disrepair,” he said.

There were already some councils who employed people full-time to do fuel management all year round but this was a big investment. However, it was necessary.

“We’ve got to move away from our reliance on volunteers,” Prof Bowman said.

“As the climate is transitioning, we need a massive increase in investment.

“We need investment in training and research — all the boring stuff that’s not interesting in these arguments.”

RELATED: Lack of rain and soaring temperatures – the bushfire threat isn’t going anywhere

Professor Bowman said that every stakeholder on flammable land required more resources and there should also be better co-ordination between them.

“In the Northern Territory where you have vast landscapes of one tenure of aboriginal land or national park, it’s real simple,” he said.

“In southern states where you have towns, national parks, state forests, farms and tourist areas, it’s so much harder to do fuel management.

“Co-ordination is not something you can do on the fly and unfortunately we live in a civilisation that we’ve got to have regulation and compliance.”

To get all this working there had to be meetings with people who understand the legislation, as well incentives and penalties for people to do the right thing.

“It doesn’t come for nothing to do at the scale we’re looking at,” Professor Bowman said.

“Back in the day we were running a fire management system that worked perfectly well in a different historical context, it’s not up to speed now with the events unfolding in NSW, which are truly horrifying.

“Everything has got to be new after this, there are going to be inquiries.

“The blaming thing is just ridiculous … it should be about who is going to outbid all the others in providing bigger investment in fuel management. That’s the political debate I’d like to have.”

Edited by Gay3 - 26 Dec 2019 at 2:07pm

Simon Cameron

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 8:14pm

NSW bushfires: RFS volunteer dies after firefighting truck rolls east of Albury

A volunteer firefighter has died and two others have been injured after their firefighting truck rolled east of Albury on Monday evening.

The firefighters were working on the Green Valley Fire, about 70 kilometres east of Albury, when the incident occurred.

According to the Rural Fire Service, it's believed the truck rolled when it was hit by extreme winds.

7NEWS can confirm that the crew is from the area.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 8:52pm
The Terrey Hills Doppler working overtime tonight - can't have any easing of the fires  Ouch

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 1:34pm
Has anyone seen a post or heard from Sister Dot in the last 24 hors or so  ?   I am a bit worried about her.  Being on the south coast where it is terrible at the moment.
animals before people.
Majestic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 2:17pm
On the Far South Coast, Cobargo village destroyed, Bega on alert the moment. AA is at Tanja as far as I know and realistically on the beach close by.
I have lost two mates at the Cobargo fire.
I have been quiet re the fires but these deaths prompt me to say why aren’t the greenies, fruitloops,and the myriad of d**kheads hugging trees today to save them from destruction. Instead they are Using emergency resources, drinking chia or green teas .
The government should get relevant representatives of interested parties in the one room and this should include high country farmers, our indigenous peoples, local councils and the CFA. They could provide adequate plans for the future and f**k the idiots with their delaying tactics at Gov level.
Just heard another mate, Andrew Constance, NSW Minister for Transpot has not been heard of for a number of hours, helping care for his own home near Batemans Bay. Phone towers, it is hoped, could have been damaged. I hope that is the reason.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 2:29pm
AA has made no secret of the fact she lives near 'The Tops' as in Barrington so hopefully she won't mind me revealy her approx. locality Smile

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 2:40pm
Yes, I am in the vicinity of The Tops, and at present there are 2 out of control fires on the edge of the park, as you can by above map,  and I am praying they dont get in there. 
Sister Dot on the other hand is on the south coast.  Wont say where exactly as she may not want that, but I am worried for her and her family/home/animals .
Very sorry for your loss of mates Majestic.  They say Cobargo is destroyed.
I also agree with your summation of what should be done. 
The fact finders among us can post all they like about how its not the greenies fault, but anyone with half a brain only has to look at the condition N.Ps are in, plus loss of qualified staff, and machinery, the BS one has to go thru to clear land or drop dangerous trees, etc, and who,s idea is all that ? 
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Majestic Majestic wrote:

On the Far South Coast, Cobargo village destroyed, Bega on alert the moment. AA is at Tanja as far as I know and realistically on the beach close by.
I have lost two mates at the Cobargo fire.
I have been quiet re the fires but these deaths prompt me to say why aren’t the greenies, fruitloops,and the myriad of d**kheads hugging trees today to save them from destruction. Instead they are Using emergency resources, drinking chia or green teas .
The government should get relevant representatives of interested parties in the one room and this should include high country farmers, our indigenous peoples, local councils and the CFA. They could provide adequate plans for the future and f**k the idiots with their delaying tactics at Gov level.
Just heard another mate, Andrew Constance, NSW Minister for Transpot has not been heard of for a number of hours, helping care for his own home near Batemans Bay. Phone towers, it is hoped, could have been damaged. I hope that is the reason.

I agree the Coalition have a lot to answer for, being the party in power and all.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 2:55pm
In fact the Greens have insidiously infiltrated the inner sanctums of power at all levels of government. And here is the shocking truth - the Greens have managed to get almost 100% of their policies enacted despite never holding power. Go to their website. Look at their policies. It's almost word for word what is actually happening.

Simon Cameron

Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Majestic Majestic wrote:

My brother and his family are in the bay and I haven’t been able to contact them on mobiles or landlines all day
It’s not a nice feeling 🤞
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Yes, I am in the vicinity of The Tops, and at present there are 2 out of control fires on the edge of the park, as you can by above map,  and I am praying they dont get in there. 
Sister Dot on the other hand is on the south coast.  Wont say where exactly as she may not want that, but I am worried for her and her family/home/animals .
Very sorry for your loss of mates Majestic.  They say Cobargo is destroyed.
I also agree with your summation of what should be done. 
The fact finders among us can post all they like about how its not the greenies fault, but anyone with half a brain only has to look at the condition N.Ps are in, plus loss of qualified staff, and machinery, the BS one has to go thru to clear land or drop dangerous trees, etc, and who,s idea is all that ? 
The South Coast fires are bearing down on our family holiday house and no one can get in contact with my elderly uncle and cousin who are there. I’m so sorry for your loss Majestic . It’s terrible. All I can say is if I hear the phrase “ climate change” right now I won’t be responsible for my actions!
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 3:21pm
Two dead and a third feared dead in Cabargo area
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 3:57pm
“Let them watch fireworks:” Gladys Antoinette, Sydney 2019

The sickening irony of letting off millions of exploding flames into a city sky already thickened with the smoke of bushfires that have surrounded Sydney for weeks, and then calling it “welcoming in the New Year,” seems entirely lost on Sydney Lord Mayor Clover Moore and NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian.

According to both women, the fireworks will demonstrate that NSW is a “resilient” state that looks towards the future with hope. “Coming together as a community in times of great trouble” is another justification for persisting with a fiery celebration many other centres, including Canberra, have chosen to abandon. Some because it’s too dangerous, others, like here in northern NSW, because we suffer an unpleasant visceral and emotional reaction to the idea of fireworks at this time. It just does not seem right to celebrate the New Year in this way when people are dying, communities are being left bereft, millions of hectares of country across the state are burning, and untold numbers of animals are frying to death or living in agony.

The symbolism is terrifying. The lack of leaders’ ability to comprehend this symbolism is unnerving.

Of course, cancelling the Sydney fireworks would be an acknowledgement of the gravity of our situation, an acknowledgement the Berejiklian and Morrison governments do not want to make. Even the Sydney City Council, usually considerably more aware of the peril we are facing than either government, cannot see the smoke for the fireworks in this instance, and insists on giving priority to marketing and tourism. This is a short-sighted perspective. The impact on tourism of past weeks of air quality readings, at one point the worst in the world, has apparently been omitted from the council’s evaluations. It will be interesting to see how the fireworks are reported internationally.

“Let them watch fireworks!” appears to be the slogan of leaders who think a little bit of bread and circuses will momentarily distract from the catastrophes currently engulfing much of the state. Tomorrow, however, we’ll still be burning with no end in sight, the fireworks forgotten, the fear, anger and sorrow still in our hearts, the failure of our politicians seared on our memories.

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 4:09pm
Fair comment.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 4:26pm
A few fireworks won't make much difference to any fall out .

Stop all trains and busses reduces output .    Turn off the electricals .        Put out the lights .

Put the price of cigarettes up by 12.5% again .
Majestic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 4:32pm
One of my sons and his partner were competing in the George Bass Surf Boat Marathon, which is a surf boat race from Batemans Bay to Eden over 7 days and which was cancelled yesterday. He is stuck in Bermagui, safe thank goodness, but what are the surf club volunteers rowing in the marathon doing? Liasing with local police to transport the elderly from their nursing home, palliative care facilities and private homes to the beach evacuation area using golf carts from the local country club. I’m so proud of these actions.
As for the fireworks, I will personally be going to a NYE party at a friends place tonight and I will not be watching Sydney’s “display of unity and resilience”. What bullgelati. Sure the fireworks have been paid for, but get the pyrotechnics to store the product for another occasion. I read somewhere where the show costs State Gov/SCC $6-7m. So where was it also mentioned the night’s cancellation would cost $130m and this was the amount muted to help farmers and fire victims? Reported the night would be an opportunity for people to donate to a fund for farmers and fire victims. Politicians need to be made accountable by a major independent uninfluenced inquiry.
Sorry to ramble, but I’m pissed off
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 4:52pm
It's not a question of the money...it's the responsible thing to do. But, hey!!! Who cares if we disrespect the brave blokes fighting the fires...or those who don't have a home to return to in the New Year. ?  Once again, the inmates of the asylum are running the country, rather than those who should be in charge. 

As for New Year...Does it really exist, anyway? It's simply an imaginary demarcation line on the calendar. If we weren't brainwashed that it has relevance, it would simply be Wednesday. 
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>