Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

LNP government.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8384858687 760>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by mc41 mc41 wrote:

Originally posted by Voss Voss wrote:

Originally posted by Browndog Browndog wrote:

Voss, have you ever refused a pay increase, or refused holidays?

No - but my pay increases are based on $ targets reached/broken the year before.

My work is logged so it can be measured for efficiency, utilization, actual production against budget etc.

My workplace doesn't rely on Government handouts to survive - and has very little competition from overseas.

My workplace is also very profitable.

I know exactly what my wage is compared to the income I generate for my workplace.

If the above factors were different and I was part of a union, I'd be very uneasy about what taking pay rises, bonuses, and enjoying other union enforced conditions because there would be concern about would mean for my future employment. 

Employers and Corporations did not feel generous and decide to give you two days off every week to have a social/personal life.

Corporations did not just feel like being nice one day and give their employees paid vacations

CEOs didn't get together in a board room and say "Let's give our employees more rights at work" or "Maybe there should be laws to limit our power over an employee".

Sick Leave
Minimum Wage
Child Labor Laws
Worker's Compensation
Workplace Safety Standards and Regulations
Sexual Harassment Laws
Pregnancy and Parental Leave

all of these union won rights are used as a basis for individual contracts,most are givens then any extra's are negotiated by your self,or do most say NO don't want any of the above ?

It's pretty simple.

It cost too much for GMH to operate here, so they left.

That is what has happened.

High $AU, IR, green/red tape, other business costs.

You can either blame the Government or you can look at the reasons why GMH was not profitable enough here.

If you don't agree with changing the underlying reasons why GMH was not profitable enough here (some you can't control), then you also need to accept that the trade off is that companies like GMH will leave.

It's now a Global environment.

Capital is mobile. If a company like GMH sees an opportunity to make more money elsewhere, they will move. GMH can quite easily do what it does here elsewhere, and for less cost.

This means Labour needs to be mobile as well. When the environment changes, people need to change and re-skill.

It's up to countries to support the industries that they have the advantage in, and for Australia that is not the auto industry.

Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 5:01pm
So what is the Abbott plan to replace the manufacturing industry Voss?
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 5:49pm
do farmers and the mining sector still get diesel rebates ?
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

I do believe though,that if i Hire you I have the right to fire you

Good to see you supporting Work Choices.
    Good decision to convert.

not sure how you came to that conclusion.

what business where you in ?
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 5:54pm
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 7:00pm
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/12/coalition-dismantles-pay-rise-aged-care-workers?CMP=twt_gu

The federal government has dismantled a $1.2bn Labor scheme to increase the pay of aged-care workers, arguing the package was designed to impose “unionism by stealth”.

The move comes two days after the government announced a $300m fund earmarked for childcare worker wage increases would largely be redirected into professional development. Labor condemned the government for behaving like a “Christmas grinch” in its attitude to low-paid care workers.

The government used its majority in the lower house to strike down measures related to the workforce supplement that were part of the Living Longer Living Better aged care reform package. MPs voted to disallow determinations made by the former aged care ministers Mark Butler and Jacinta Collins. This does not involve repealing legislation, so the government does not need to get the changes through the Senate, where the Greens and Labor maintain a majority until July.

The assistant minister for employment, Luke Hartsuyker, said the government would now consider how to deliver the funds “in a more flexible and more targeted way”.

Hartsuyker said the former government had tied to the payments enterprise bargaining agreements. He said the Coalition had made clear it would “oppose this unionism by stealth” and had already suspended applications for the scheme on 26 September.

“It was never going to reach the majority of aged care workers,” he said of the Labor package. The Coalition had pledged to redirect the funds to the general pool of aged care funding.

Labor’s aged care spokesman, Shayne Neumann, said the decision was a blow to 350,000 workers who deserved and needed higher pay, noting a 40% workforce turnover rate and the challenge of an ageing population. He said childcare workers and Holden staff would similarly “have a very bad Christmas”.

“What this government is doing is attacking workers once again,” Neumann said. The aged care sector had already accessed about $100m of the $1.2bn set aside for the supplements, he said. “It’s heartless; it’s cruel; it’s wrong; it’s not the way to go.”

One of the measures disallowed – the Residential Care Subsidy Amendment (Workforce Supplement) Principle 2013 – ensured a provider with 50 or more residential care places could apply for the supplement only if it undertook to negotiate an enterprise agreement with staff. It said a provider with fewer than 50 places would not require such an agreement, but would have to pledge to meet the minimum wage requirements. In both cases, the provider would also spell out its plans for staff training, education and career development.

Another determination struck down by the lower house set the workforce supplement at 1% of the basic subsidy available for each care recipient.

Labor and the Greens had flagged separate efforts in the Senate to stymie the Coalition’s freeze on applications. The latest action would appear to end their hopes of keeping the scheme alive.

saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 7:02pm
Any pay rise for low to middle income earners is now labeled unionism by stealth. This mob are a joke.
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 7:03pm
“unionism by stealth” Dept of Slogans December 2013

Edited by Browndog - 12 Dec 2013 at 7:04pm
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 7:30pm
John Birmingham - December 12, 2013 - 6:03PM

It is becoming apparent that, while they were an excellent opposition, the years of reflexive, unthinking negativity, of framing all arguments in soundbites and all outcomes as crude win-loss scenarios have not well prepared Abbott and his colleagues for government.

Whether bullying East Timor, picking fights that they can't win with Beijing, humiliating themselves over Gonski or mugging childcare and aged care workers while debauching their own travel allowances, they approach the governments of the Commonwealth with all the witless hysteria of amateur night in a Chechen bordello.

Sometimes it's embarrassing. Sometimes amusing. And sometimes it's just a tragedy.

Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 7:41pm
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 7:48pm
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 7:50pm
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 7:56pm
The Laborites are getting rattled.
   All the articles of a deprived media in the copy and paste machines.
I can cancel my Fairfax papers.
   What a solid LNP.    No need for them to fix the Gillard mess with Holden , she did that with a $300 million gift last year.
how many of you drive Holdens .    ?
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 9:38pm

What a solid LNP.    No need for them to fix the Gillard mess with Holden , she did that with a $300 million gift last year.

so what business where you in ?
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by questions questions wrote:

Voss, have you ever refused a pay increase, or refused holidays?

nothign wrong with taking the pay increase.

as long as you accept it when you get sacked for being too expensive.

the worse was the fight the unions put in with toyota over a pay increase and then they sacked all their staff a couple of years ago.

it does not seem that the unions have the best interests of the staff at heart. 

not that i think the wage costs are the major reason for the closing.

the fact that they have such a high rate of sick leave compared to other countries would not make it look so good. especially when you have a guy in the US looking at the figures and comparing it to plants in other countries and wondering why this first world country has so many sick days compared to other countries that do not have our wealth.

does not look like the kind of work force you want to be assoicated with. 

Despite efforts to improve the work environment from legislation like OSHA, illnesses and disability at work from many causes are on the rise. Part of this is due to the processes of globalization - the steadily increasing inter-dependency of world economics, production, trade, technology and culture – which is having an enormous impact on work, work organization and the health of working people There is now increasing competition among nations and between corporations, as resources grow scarcer. The ongoing need for corporate profitability drives globalization, technology and changes in workplace organization resulting in more competition, restructuring and downsizing, outsourcing, more precarious labor and increased job insecurity, as well as increased time pressure and intensification of work
And work for $5.75 hr.

These changes in work organization, in turn, give rise to psychosocial stressors such as job strain, effort-reward imbalance, emotional labor, threat-avoidant-vigilant work, organizational injustice, as well as increased demands in the form of long work hours, contingent work, shift work which increase stress and can lead to chronic illnesses, including mental and physical health problems. Psychosocial stressors play an important role in promoting CVD risk factors, such as obesity and hypertension. Many of these work stressors are especially prevalent among drivers (bus, taxi, and truck) as well as health workers who are exposed to noxious combinations of long work hours, intensification of work, inadequate training, lack of support and emotional labor leaving them prone to anxiety, burnout, depression and hypertension.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 11:09pm
wc41.     The cunning of the people making claims is your problem.
Stress disorders , Physical complaints , maternity leave , etc etc
Wonderful Union demands , getting the never ending transfusion of something for nothing. Then as Questions points out,   the job is gone.
How does Labor have the hide to complain about Holden , Qantas or any of the struggling Union manufactured pressures that see Industry fail.
Labor didn't save any other Firms during their "give aways" over the last 6 years.
My business, wc41 { as it is so important to you ]    Is a little secretive but I can tell you Craig Thomson helped us during the " hard "
times ..   [ pun intended.]
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 11:54pm

so what business where you in ?

macca's first job was a very long and distinguished career as a male stripper in his teens.
He then moved on to a more profitable job as a gigolo and has never looked back, except when the woman takes her husband along for the ride.Wink

questions View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 6:41am
Originally posted by saintly96 saintly96 wrote:

Any pay rise for low to middle income earners is now labeled unionism by stealth. This mob are a joke.

it is when you are forcing them to sign union organised enterprise agreements and stay with the union in order to get the pay rise.

do you think someone should be forced to sign up with a union and pay up in order to get a pay rise?

i would call that compulsory unionism. 

you do not realise that labor got in on union money and the unions wanted a return and therefore labor agreed to pay increases on the basis that a proportion goes to the unions.

unions are growing less popular these days because they have been shown to be corrupt and not operate in the workers best interests. holden workers can atest to that.

good to see the adults are in charge now and sorting this mess out. why should an industry with the lowest paid workers miss out because the unions want their money for supporting the previous terrible government
"it's not gambling if you're absolutely sure you're gonna win" Barney Stinson
Voss View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 6:55am
Originally posted by questions questions wrote:

Originally posted by saintly96 saintly96 wrote:

it is when you are forcing them to sign union organised enterprise agreements and stay with the union in order to get the pay rise.

do you think someone should be forced to sign up with a union and pay up in order to get a pay rise?

i would call that compulsory unionism. 

you do not realise that labor got in on union money and the unions wanted a return and therefore labor agreed to pay increases on the basis that a proportion goes to the unions.

unions are growing less popular these days because they have been shown to be corrupt and not operate in the workers best interests. holden workers can atest to that.

good to see the adults are in charge now and sorting this mess out. why should an industry with the lowest paid workers miss out because the unions want their money for supporting the previous terrible government

Correct.

How could anyone support a pay rise linked to having to be part of an enterprise agreement / union membership?

saintly96, that's exactly what it is, and Labor knew the LNP wouldn't allow it. 

Have a think about where Labor gets the majority of it's funding from and why 'o why they would possibly link wage increases to union involvement. LOL
Voss View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 7:04am

do farmers and the mining sector still get diesel rebates ?

Not a bad article that.

Check out the effective rates of Government assistance.

Even if you were to add in the fuel tax rebates, the industries at the top of the list would be the auto & textile sectors, and the industry at the bottom would be mining.

All about ROI.

The mining sector is a growth industry that keeps this country afloat.

The concessions given are a bit of cream to attract further investment and increase the GDP as well as the total tax take.

The auto sector is a dying industry relying on Government funds for life support.

Those funds, and the workers themselves, could be better used in other industries.

Concentrate on the areas that we as a country do best, and those that are most valuable.
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 8:17am

I'm all for industrial relations reform but I'm still unclear on what the LNP wants to eventually do. Their policy statement says "sensible" an awful lot but it looks as though they are happy to play small-target on this one. I recall Minchin during the latter years of the Howard government giving a speech to some think-tank or other saying that, though Workchoices was deeply unpopular, it didn't go nearly far enough.

I have no doubt some of the LNPs backers like the Oz and the IPA certainly think this to be the case. I think they'll take it in stages to see how much the electorate will tolerate,  but it would be interesting know where they'd like to end up.
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 8:23am
I am confused. The entire LNP election thrust this year has been about cost of living. The carbon tax is crippling householders, the Labor govt taxed the average punter too much. Poer prices too much, gas prices too much, We need a great big new PPL leave to help the 'little people'

Now in govt, it seems the average 'little person' is being paid way too much and it is crippling the economy, and we all need to take a big pay cut to make us more productive.

Voss View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 9:02am

I am confused. The entire LNP election thrust this year has been about cost of living. The carbon tax is crippling householders, the Labor govt taxed the average punter too much. Poer prices too much, gas prices too much, We need a great big new PPL leave to help the 'little people'

Now in govt, it seems the average 'little person' is being paid way too much and it is crippling the economy, and we all need to take a big pay cut to make us more productive.

No need to point that out to everyone - was fairly self evident.

Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 9:07am
I know it is very difficult for you Voss. You haven't got the govt or the leader you were hoping for, and you are not confident enough to make a prediction on anything they say. They are so erratic. You were warnedWink
questions View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 9:33am
you are not getting the policy on the run, make it up as you go and grand statements of acheivement before the plan is set and tested. i realise that is is difficult to comprehend for those that have grown accustomed to it.

there will be a plan in place when it has been fully worked out, tested and deemed to be achievable and this government will not announce it until that has happened.

the time for panic is gone. the time is here for sensible direction and that is what you are getting and i understand that you do not see it.

or would you prefer to have your leader do what gillard did last year and say out loud that we have secured holden in this country for 10 years. imagine the laughter that must of gone around the holden offices at this. as they sign those cheques that head over to the US through government money when they had already planned to leave in 2017 and simply wanted more money.

the real question in the holden debate is that should we hold an enquiry into whether gillard knew she was lying to australia when she said she had secured 10 years of holden or whether she was stupid and no idea what she was doing 
"it's not gambling if you're absolutely sure you're gonna win" Barney Stinson
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 9:35am

Waiting for the Abbott economic miracleOuch

ASX slide set to continue, Aussie falls

Published: December 13, 2013 - 7:22AM

Local shares are set to extend their recent slump into a seventh day while the Australian dollar fell below 90 US cents overnight.

What you need2know:

• SPI futures down 22 points at 5035
  • AUD fetching 89.28 US cents, 92.23 yen, 64.99 Euro and 54.67 British pence
  • On Wall St Z(in mid-afternoon trade), S&P500 -0.3%, Dow Jones -0.5%, Nasdaq +0.1%
  • In Europe, Eurostoxx -0.7% , FTSE100 -1%, CAC -0.4%, DAX -0.7%
  • Spot gold falls 2.1% to $1,226.32 an ounce
  • Brent oil drops 0.7% to $108.90 per barrel
  • Iron ore slips 0.9% to $137.90 per tonne

What's on today

In economic news today, the Bureau of Statistics releases October lending finance data, while in equities news, Westpac has its annual general meeting scheduled.

Reserve Bank of Australia governor Glenn Stevens continues to talk the dollar down saying in an interview with The Australian Financial Review, that with the falling terms of trade, he expects the Aussie's natural level to be lower than its current rate. "I thought 85 [US] cents would be closer to the mark than 95 [US]  cents . . .but really, I don't think we can be that precise.

"I just think that if things over the medium term evolve as we're presently assuming – and I think it's reasonable to make these assumptions – it's going to be surprising if a nine at the front is the right number."

Stocks to watch

Patersons said the regulatory green light for Westpac's acquisition of the $8.4 billion loan portfolio from Lloyds Banking Group Australia adds to the bank's core strengths, "providing us with even more confidence in future earnings and dividend growth".

Deutsche Bank has a "buy" recommendation on BHP Billiton with a target price of $45.10 after management outlined a revamped petroleum strategy.

Currencies

The Australian dollar is trading at 89.28 US cents at 5.09am AEST, down from Thursday's local close of 90.31 US cents. It had closed at 91.31 US cents on Wednesday.

The US dollar firmed across the board, helped by an upbeat retail sales report that suggested the recovery of the world's largest economy is on a stable footing. In midday trading, the dollar index rose 0.3 per cent to 80.164, rebounding after three days of losses.

Commodities

A surplus in the global market for refined copper will widen by more than 60 per cent in 2014 as new mine supply outstrips reviving demand, the International Copper Study Group says. The surplus is forecast to rise to 632,000 tonnes from 387,000 tonnes this year.

Three month copper on the LME, untraded at the close, was bid at $US7226 a tonne. Earlier in the day the red metal hit its highest since November 4.

Brend crude oil fell $US1.03 to $US108.67 a barrel. US crude futures for January delivery were up 19 cents at $US97.63 a barrel.

United States

Stocks appear headed for a third day of losses amid uncertainty over how soon the Federal Reserve will trim its market-friendly stimulus program. While retail sales for November were strong, initial claims for jobless benefits last week posted their biggest jump in a year.

"We may be in a little bit of a correction here," said Tim Ghriskey, chief investment officer at Solaris Asset Management in Bedford Hills in New York.

Shares of Facebook were in the spotlight after the social media giant joined the S&P 500. The stock was up 3.8 per cent.

Lululemon Athletica shares fell more than 10 per cent after the company said it expects flat same-store sales in the crucial fourth quarter.

Europe

In Europe, stocks have slid after data showed that industrial output unexpectedly dropped in October, the latest sign that the euro zone's economy remains fragile.

London's FTSE 100 closed down 0.96 per cent, Frankfurt's DAX fell 0.66 per cent and the CAC 40 in Paris shed 0.43 per cent.

Britain's top share index looks set to to reach an all-time high of 7100 by end-2014 - some 9 per cent up on Wednesday's close of 6507 - according to the median in a survey of over 60 traders, analysts and fund managers conducted in the past week by Reuters. The index is up around 10 per cent so far this year.

What happened yesterday

On Thursday, the benchmark S&P/ASX 200 Index dropped 41.8 points, or 0.8 per cent, to 5062.5. Bluechip stocks, such as Commonwealth Bank of Australia, BHP Billiton and Telstra – which have benefited from an influx of offshore capital over the past few years – led the losses.

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/business/markets/asx-slide-set-to-continue-aussie-falls-20131213-2zarv.html

mc41 View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 9:40am

wc41.     The cunning of the people making claims is your problem.
    Stress disorders , Physical complaints , maternity leave , etc etc
    Wonderful Union demands , getting the never ending transfusion of something for nothing. Then as Questions points out,   the job is gone.
    How does Labor have the hide to complain about Holden , Qantas or any of the struggling Union manufactured pressures that see Industry fail.
    Labor didn't save any other Firms during their "give aways" over the last 6 years.
    My business, wc41 { as it is so important to you ]    Is a little secretive but I can tell you Craig Thomson helped us during the " hard "
    times ..   [ pun intended.]

Of course it would be secretive
    maccamax View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 9:50am
    How do you Labor supporters sleep at night.    Doesn't the fall of Ford, mitsi, Qantas, Holden etc haunt you.
    The promised Surplus , racing to mining tax, the pointless "big give away", Opening our borders to Boat people, Riding on the back of Climate change , Pink bats , School halls ,    The Dysfunctional 6 years of internal back stabbing and leadership change.   Most senior ministers walking in disgust. Unions imploding over fraud.
    I won't go on , I would run out of paper.
    Browndog View Drop Down
    Moderator Group
    Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 9:53am
    ...and any scant semblance of credibilty you still have maxieLOL
    Voss View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 10:06am

Waiting for the Abbott economic miracleOuch

ASX slide set to continue, Aussie falls

Published: December 13, 2013 - 7:22AM

Local shares are set to extend their recent slump into a seventh day while the Australian dollar fell below 90 US cents overnight.

What you need2know:

• SPI futures down 22 points at 5035
    • AUD fetching 89.28 US cents, 92.23 yen, 64.99 Euro and 54.67 British pence
    • On Wall St Z(in mid-afternoon trade), S&P500 -0.3%, Dow Jones -0.5%, Nasdaq +0.1%
    • In Europe, Eurostoxx -0.7% , FTSE100 -1%, CAC -0.4%, DAX -0.7%
    • Spot gold falls 2.1% to $1,226.32 an ounce
    • Brent oil drops 0.7% to $108.90 per barrel
    • Iron ore slips 0.9% to $137.90 per tonne

What's on today

In economic news today, the Bureau of Statistics releases October lending finance data, while in equities news, Westpac has its annual general meeting scheduled.

Reserve Bank of Australia governor Glenn Stevens continues to talk the dollar down saying in an interview with The Australian Financial Review, that with the falling terms of trade, he expects the Aussie's natural level to be lower than its current rate. "I thought 85 [US] cents would be closer to the mark than 95 [US]  cents . . .but really, I don't think we can be that precise.

"I just think that if things over the medium term evolve as we're presently assuming – and I think it's reasonable to make these assumptions – it's going to be surprising if a nine at the front is the right number."

Stocks to watch

Patersons said the regulatory green light for Westpac's acquisition of the $8.4 billion loan portfolio from Lloyds Banking Group Australia adds to the bank's core strengths, "providing us with even more confidence in future earnings and dividend growth".

Deutsche Bank has a "buy" recommendation on BHP Billiton with a target price of $45.10 after management outlined a revamped petroleum strategy.

Currencies

The Australian dollar is trading at 89.28 US cents at 5.09am AEST, down from Thursday's local close of 90.31 US cents. It had closed at 91.31 US cents on Wednesday.

The US dollar firmed across the board, helped by an upbeat retail sales report that suggested the recovery of the world's largest economy is on a stable footing. In midday trading, the dollar index rose 0.3 per cent to 80.164, rebounding after three days of losses.

Commodities

A surplus in the global market for refined copper will widen by more than 60 per cent in 2014 as new mine supply outstrips reviving demand, the International Copper Study Group says. The surplus is forecast to rise to 632,000 tonnes from 387,000 tonnes this year.

Three month copper on the LME, untraded at the close, was bid at $US7226 a tonne. Earlier in the day the red metal hit its highest since November 4.

Brend crude oil fell $US1.03 to $US108.67 a barrel. US crude futures for January delivery were up 19 cents at $US97.63 a barrel.

United States

Stocks appear headed for a third day of losses amid uncertainty over how soon the Federal Reserve will trim its market-friendly stimulus program. While retail sales for November were strong, initial claims for jobless benefits last week posted their biggest jump in a year.

"We may be in a little bit of a correction here," said Tim Ghriskey, chief investment officer at Solaris Asset Management in Bedford Hills in New York.

Shares of Facebook were in the spotlight after the social media giant joined the S&P 500. The stock was up 3.8 per cent.

Lululemon Athletica shares fell more than 10 per cent after the company said it expects flat same-store sales in the crucial fourth quarter.

Europe

In Europe, stocks have slid after data showed that industrial output unexpectedly dropped in October, the latest sign that the euro zone's economy remains fragile.

London's FTSE 100 closed down 0.96 per cent, Frankfurt's DAX fell 0.66 per cent and the CAC 40 in Paris shed 0.43 per cent.

Britain's top share index looks set to to reach an all-time high of 7100 by end-2014 - some 9 per cent up on Wednesday's close of 6507 - according to the median in a survey of over 60 traders, analysts and fund managers conducted in the past week by Reuters. The index is up around 10 per cent so far this year.

What happened yesterday

On Thursday, the benchmark S&P/ASX 200 Index dropped 41.8 points, or 0.8 per cent, to 5062.5. Bluechip stocks, such as Commonwealth Bank of Australia, BHP Billiton and Telstra – which have benefited from an influx of offshore capital over the past few years – led the losses.

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/business/markets/asx-slide-set-to-continue-aussie-falls-20131213-2zarv.html

LOL

Keep on clutching at those straws.

You either;

a) Don't understand what you are talking about

or (much more likely);

b) Prey on the ignorance of others to use articles like the above to promote Labor and attack Abbott at all costs.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8384858687 760>