Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Needs Further Standing in Tasmania

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 8:59am
True Paul. Armidale are putting up fifty grand for any stakes race won in Australia   from the first drop of alpine eagles. Only three year old races as they think they w be better three year olds.
Rebel - racing. Lionel - in work. Glory - spelling. Ray - spelling. A Wee Nip - in work.
Petiterhapsody View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Petiterhapsody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 10:05am
gelatie I missed that memo Slowdown, good thing I've got 2 fillies by him though. Ned's best book will no doubt be this coming season due to MJ's deeds. Hoping he will still be in Tassie though, I've already lined up my next lot of mares for this season including my most commercial mare.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 10:11am
Bear in mind that NF is achieving particularly well with cleverly constructed matings. Not all his mares will be well suited to him, simply using in the hope of an upgrade or good seller Smile
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Paul Hogan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 10:59am
You may be right.

Having a class Danehill line in the dam side woulg suit most matings imo.
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Petiterhapsody Petiterhapsody wrote:

gelatie I missed that memo Slowdown, good thing I've got 2 fillies by him though. Ned's best book will no doubt be this coming season due to MJ's deeds. Hoping he will still be in Tassie though, I've already lined up my next lot of mares for this season including my most commercial mare.
yes Petite. they are doing their best to promote him and with 50 grand on offer its a pretty good incentive.
we can only hope hope they run like he could.

Not sure what the go is with Ned. I know mainland studs are chasing him however David would like him to stay. its very difficult as he would have to stand for more and with prizemoney being so poor down here it makes it tough. Just got to wait and see what happens....
Rebel - racing. Lionel - in work. Glory - spelling. Ray - spelling. A Wee Nip - in work.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 3:53pm
Slowdown, does David own or just lease NF? 
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Petiterhapsody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 5:10pm
Randwick Bloodstock own half, if his fee was to rise to a 5 figure number it's highly likely to price many Tasmanians out of him.
Sworn Revenge View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sworn Revenge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 7:26pm
Reckon the fee will go up to $7700. The Wishaw family would not want to price local breeders out of him and stating the obvious he'll get his biggest patronage from the mainland this season

His two best progeny are the " Mystic " fillies both having that line breeding element.

We've got a yearling colt by him out of a Reset mare going to the breakers tomorrow. Therefore we're hoping since she is back in foal to him that we get a filly

Inbreeding to our mare:
Danehill: 3S X 4D
Northern Dancer: 4S X 5S
Danzig: 4S X 5D
Razyana: 4S X 5D
=Lady Giselle (FR): 4S X 4D
Nureyev: 5S X 5D
Valderna (FR): 5S X 5D
*Sir Tristram: 4D X 5D

It's only called gambling when you lose
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 7:31pm
People / Breeders are suckers.

Needs Futher gets a beauty and everyone gets sucked in.

Welcome to the breeding world.
Sworn Revenge View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sworn Revenge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 7:56pm
We are first time breeders and were only ever going to breed to race PH.

Paid a 3k service fee first time, 5k the second.

First service paid for before Mystic Journey has even run.

Decision to use him was made having visited Armidale and seen the stallion up close whom is a cracking physical specimen with a really good temperament. Plus we liked the mating on paper.

We are based in Victoria and we get the luxury of TasBred 20k bonus AND SuperVobis if the horse gets to the track and shows us he is good enough to come to Vic.

Stats will tell you that the odds are not in your favour but I would rather have gone through this exercise with this stallion than pay 25k plus for a 10% share in a Brazen Beau.

If our horse wins a TasBred bonus maiden we effectively cover our costs in getting the horse from conception to the track. If that makes me a sucker I'll happily cop that
It's only called gambling when you lose
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by Paul Hogan Paul Hogan wrote:

People / Breeders are suckers.

Needs Futher gets a beauty and everyone gets sucked in.

Welcome to the breeding world.

You talk down to us like we are all a bunch of newcomers to the game, where as most here have been around it for years.  Probably more than you , for many of the posters on here.  Breeders already know all this that you preach about stallions. It doesnt change things one little bit.  Thats part of breeding. Taking a chance , and if it works out the way the PP plans, its a big win for them. Be it a chance on a stallion priced too high for many, or a stallion showing promise, like Ned is.
A stallion only needs to show promise for him to get mares, and we all know thats the way the game works. For a lot of people thats part of the game.

animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 7:30pm
Yeah so you agree.
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 9:44pm
Armidale Stud retain “All-Star” Stallion for 2019
Media Release - Monday April 15
It was announced earlier today Group 1 sire Needs Further will remain at the Whishaw Family's iconic Armidale Stud in Tasmania for the 2019 breeding season.

Needs Further
Needs Further has been in the national spotlight of late primarily due to the racetrack deeds of his outstanding 3-year-old daughter, Group 1 Australian Guineas and inaugural All-Star Mile winner, Mystic Journey.

"There has been an incredible amount of interest from mainland studs in relocating Needs Further" disclosed Armidale Stud's Managing Director David Whishaw. "But all said and done we are passionate about the Tasmanian racing and breeding industry and we believe Needs Further can continue to be a success at stud whilst standing in Tasmania."

Needs Further currently sits in seventh position on the Australian 3-year-old Sires list behind Zoustar, Redoute's Choice, Teofilo, I Am Invincible, Spirit of Boom and Snitzel, and in the top thirty on the General Sires list, ahead of stallions such as Hinchinbrook, Spirit Of Boom, Dundeel and More Than Ready.

"I think he has done an incredible job to be where he is with only three crops of racing age and all told around seventy runners. He is also running third on the Third Season Sires list, behind Pierro and All Too Hard, both of whom have had nearly three times the number of starters as he has had", Whishaw commented.

Needs Further has continued to be a standout sire of 2-year-olds in his home state, once again siring Tasmania's leading 2-year-old for the third season running. Needs Further's progeny have now won every 2-year-old feature race in the state, with his latest 2-year-old progeny including the unbeaten dual stakes winner Mystical Pursuit, and Deroche, a comprehensive winner of the 2019 Magic Millions 2-year-old Classic, as well as running the aforementioned Mystical Pursuit to a nose in Tasmania's "Golden Slipper", the $150,000 Gold Sovereign Stakes (Listed). He is also the sire of dual stakes winning 2-year-old Pateena Arena and multiple stakes placed Our Long Sali.

The eye-catching son of High Chaparral, Alpine Eagle will also stand alongside Needs Further again in 2019.

"The farm was eagerly awaiting the arrival of his first foals and we have not been disappointed. All the good judges have been blown away with the quality he is stamping on his foals. They are like peas in a pod. It doesn't matter what type of mare people have put to him, they all seem to have come out with his stunning good looks and that great High Chap walk", said Whishaw.

Alpine Eagle has covered 106 and 91 mares in his first two seasons, and with Dundeel already making his mark as a sire, Armidale expects Alpine Eagle to be very popular with both local and interstate breeders again.

"I believe at Armidale we have the perfect climate and some of the best pastures in Australia for rearing thoroughbreds, and I am certain this is the key to us producing strong boned, tough racehorses. We have seen the likes of Mystic Journey, Hellova Street, Like a Carousel, Lady Lynette, Pateena Arena and Mystical Pursuit all come off the farm in recent times," Whishaw explains with pride.

Whishaw continues, "Over the last couple of years an increasing number of mainland breeders are realising just how accessible and realistically priced our stallions are and I expect this recognition will continue to grow. Our very realistic service, agistment and veterinary fees plus our great pastures and climate, all add up to make Tassie a very attractive and affordable option for interstate breeders."

Needs Further will stand at a fee of $12,500 plus GST and Alpine Eagle will remain at his 2018 fee of $7,000 plus GST.

For more information and full details of the travel subsidies available for interstate mares please contact David Whishaw on 0407 868 269 or go to www.armidalestud.com.au

acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 10:18pm
Thats great news for Armidale.   And that fee would make some mainland stallions fees  look stupid.
animals before people.
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 4:15am
Great news for Tassie breeding too. Spirit will go back to him this season and Umagold my second choice. A sharp rise however half the horse is owned by mainland interests. I don't imagine he would have too much trouble getting takers on the mainland at that fee. There has been plenty of interest from the mainland already as far as sending mares over and that has always been David's preference.
it is huge money to come up for local breeders however there is now some assistance with the Tasbred scheme. for those who choose to breed and race when a horse wins an eligible race the bonus is 20 grand. at best if you paid up for everything it was 5 grand under the old scheme.....
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Petiterhapsody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 5:15am
It wasn't unexpected although 2 weeks ago I had strong mail he wasnt going to stay, kudos for keeping him here. Rules me out its a huge jump they we can't afford this year.
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 8:43am
Sorry to hear that Petite. It is a big jump however after speaking with Armidale it was really the only way they could justify keeping him here and ensuring the other owners were looked after.
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 1:30pm
Thoughts - mainland breeders - would you send mares over at that price ? cost from Melb is $550 ew. 
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 1:57pm
The cost isn't a massive issue - it costs me $700 (return) to walk on to the Hunter from Richmond. I think they've priced him fairly and am very pleased to see him stay in Tasmania for at least another season. He would need to add another string to the Mystic Journey bow to convince me that he is a genuine mainland stallion.

Frankly, for the $550 each way, I'd be more inclined to punt Alpine Eagle!
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 2:00pm
Fair enough Robbo. I think there's more to come but I understand where you're coming from. hopefully a couple more cross the water
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 2:16pm
I'm sure there are - Our Long Sali has demonstrated good ability already and NF's books are only going to get better in terms of size and quality. I guess I can understand the price from a Taswegian breeder perspective than a mainland one given his outstanding record in Tassie.
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 2:23pm
I'm tipping Mystical Pursuit will join Mystic Journey on the trip over for the Spring
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 2:27pm
yep . wasnt going to say as i really dont know but you would think so TJ. Very good point re the quality of mares he should get a visit from . In all honesty it should not come as a great shock when you look at his breeding....
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Petiterhapsody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 3:40pm
I guess the question I pose is, Is the very people that he's been kept in the state for, now going to be priced out of him? Even though we have the breeders bonus as a boost, it's going to take several seasons for it to fully take effect and I still confidence in our industry for buyers/breeders alike. Will definitely reassess as to who for Octangle now as it's not fair on my other mares to rip them off for stallions.
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 3:53pm
Tough one Petite, I am sure if he wasnt that price he would not be standing in Tassie. I know they found the whole situation very difficult. the easy way would have been to run and take the cash. the value of the stallion was in the millions so it could have been very easy to take that option however they have tried to keep the stallion here and keep the other owners happy. a difficult situation.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 3:53pm
We understand the pricing realities down in Tassie, however Needs Further served less than 50 mares in each of the last two seasons so quite a few local breeders apparently passed up the chance to use him in those years.  So it's arguably a bit late to bemoan the entirely appropriate price increasein 2019.
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Petiterhapsody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 4:57pm
Second Chance I've been one of his biggest supporters and have been there every single season. Not so much bemoaning, just interested to see if he will have more mares with the rise. I absolutely love the stallion and love the progeny, but worried we will now become the forgotten people, those of us that have consistently patronised him.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 5:07pm
Wasn't particularly aiming at you Petite, rather the generality of the talk I'm hearing your side of the Strait.

You and Slowdown undoubtedly know the situation with NF better than I do.  But as a general rule in Vic, and hopefully Tassie also, genuinely regular clients are more often than not given a discount not available to newcomers. 

Don't know if David is constrained by his co-owners, however all you can do is front up and make a case.
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 5:24pm
It's a delicate balance. His numbers went down when his price went up a few years ago but now he has this superstar which while it has increased his stud fee even higher it is surely going to increase his yearling prices as well.

I reckon you'll be able to talk em down if you're a local anyway
Einstein View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Einstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 9:26pm
I think his fee rise is good, and if mainland breeders done take advantage of it, they are quite silly. I really like Alpine Eagle though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>