Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Needs Further Standing in Tasmania

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote early4lunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 12:43pm
$500+ and you need to get your mare to Oaklands Junction. Multiply it by two to get back.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 1:09pm
Is that with Vern?
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 1:25pm
its around 500 each way. Vern Poke and Tasmanian Horse Transport do the trip.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by danewinner danewinner wrote:

Second Chance,

Not sure if Fighting Sun was favourite for the slipper I thought Earthquake was always favourite.  

Danewinner you are really starting to p1ss me off.

First you misrepresent what I suggested about the commercial value of a Gp 3 winner over 1600m.

Next you quibble about my comment that Fighting Sun was one of the early Slipper favs, which he indeed was given his win in the Canonbury was well noted by bookmakers and was before Earthquake won the Blue Diamond.

Those apart from other complaints to moderators etc.

Imo if you want to seek peoples' opinions or advice on here you'd do well to read, listen and hopefully learn rather than take issue with virtually every response that people are kind enough to offer. 

danewinner View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danewinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 2:34pm
Second Chance,

If you read your own early thread you stated Fighting Sun was an early slipper favorite.

Now your saying in bold he was 'one of the Slipper favorites'.

Not sure how stupid you think people are but to try and get away with that old chestnut
really!

You are clearly saying two different things.

Now if you got it wrong I suggest you are pissing yourself off.

Personally I don't care if he was or wasn't just stated I didnt think he was favourite.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 3:03pm
I said a Slipper favorite, not the Slipper favorite. 

And still you quibble!  By all means keep doing so and we'll see just how long it is before people stop responding when you take issue with virtually every response that people offer. 

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 4:10pm
Aay!!!! There's enough serious stuff to squabble over w'out disputing exactly at what stage or position in the market an early Slipper favourite was. Pedantic nuances can be pursued via PM if need be Disapprove
The breeding forums rarely need moderating, as most either agree or agree to disagree, so please maintain this vein where possible.
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danewinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

I said a Slipper favorite, not the Slipper favorite. 

And still you quibble!  By all means keep doing so and we'll see just how long it is before people stop responding when you take issue with virtually every response that people offer. 

I didn't take issue merely pointed out a mistake I said I didn't think Fighting Sun was favourite for the Golden Slipper.
Wow that's controversial stuff.

The two stallions in question obviously didn't achieve their best on the track.

Therefore when comparing the two horses as possible future stallion choices the surrounding facts become
more important at least to me.

If I decide to go to a stallion who was favourite for the slipper I would be satisfied to take that
chance and that is taking into account that the horse didn't even run in the race.

May have run stone motherless.

If the horse was second or third favourite 'No Way' remembering it didn't run and all
you have to go by is Gai Waterhouses account of the horse.

The facts are very important nothing to do with as quibbling as you call it.
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danewinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by slowdown slowdown wrote:

its around 500 each way. Vern Poke and Tasmanian Horse Transport do the trip.

That is way better than I thought. I was thinking about 3k.

That's good news thanks SD.
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 9:47pm
no probs Danewinner. i have brought mares across a few times and that has been the charge. either of the two i mentioned will deliver you mare safe and sound and she would be well looked after at Armidale. i have sent 4 mares there and they have all come back in top  condition and its obvious they have been well looked after. drenching, farrier etc all done and there has never been a problem. 
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 10:13pm
Danewinner going back to the original question of why he is down here. if you go back through Tasmanian stallion history you will find that there have been many good stallions. i have really only been involved properly within the industry for around 5 years but some of the other people on the site would be able to come up with examples of very good stallions down here. i am led to believe that for example there were decent offers from NSW for Sav but Armidale felt it important to keep him here to benefit the state. El Moxie i am also led to believe was snapped up and taken to the mainland. as you would be aware from time to time some pretty decent horses come from down here and do well on the mainland. we are very lucky to get the stallions at the price we do but $4400 is the maximum charged down here due to lesser prizemoney. i dont know of another capital city that races for prizemoney of $12,500 .- maybe Darwin? so you see quite often the value with the stallions can be good. if you get one good enough to make it to the mainland and you pick up a win you have done very well - Ladoni - Lady Lynette, Wealthy Lad. ($2750) . Sav - Whose your daddy, Life to the full, The Cleaner, With Decorum, ($4400). Tough Speed - Banca Mo, Black n Tuff, West Quest - Barysh Quest, Dream Pedlar ($4400)etc etc...
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danewinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 11:06pm
SD,

Thanks for the info.

The general consensus is that Armidale is a quality stud with good customer service
which is very good to know and to know your mare will be properly looked after is invaluable
to some owners.

Reading your posts I gather you may be based in TAS.

What appeared to be impossible may indeed be possible.

Cheers.

slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 11:34pm
no probs Danewinner.  yes i live down here. bol with your mare...
VSP. View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VSP. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 12:26am
Armidale brought Needs Further across to Vic for the Stallion Parade at Oaklands last August. I thought he was a most impressive horse, big and strong. A casual glance didn't indicate much wrong with him, but I didn't look closely. Just a great basic impression, I loved him.
In reference of why he wasn't on the mainland - well he was sold PRIOR to Northern Meteor firing up, and at that particular point you couldn't give away an Encosta son.
Oh...and Fighting Sun probably would have been Slipper favourite before he went wrong IF a market was out that early. Very impressive and very highly touted at the time. Academic now.
But remember - at the time NF was son of a sire you couldn't give away stallion prospects by - and FS is a son of a freak who is dead so they don't make them any longer. Huge difference in appeal to a stallion owner.
If you think Needs Further suits your mare danewinner I would go for it!
www.snowshoecats.webs.com
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 6:55pm
Well there you go. Needs Furthers 3yo half brother  just makes it 4 from 4 winning the group one Golden Rose from barrier 14. did it 3 and 4 wide all the way round. pretty bloody impressive. might be time to get a mare over to Armidale.....
The Polar Bear Waltz View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote The Polar Bear Waltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 7:19pm
Was up there not too long ago. Armidale is a magnificent property, and they are a credit to the breeding industry and Tasmania.
Horses by their stallions have been Mel. Cup placed, won a Caulfield Cup, and may hopefully get a Cox Plate this year, as well as producing many good horses.
Well worth coming over for a look danewinner, they are lovely people who look after their animals extremely well and have always been at the forefront of breeding crosses with what are considered inexpensive stallions.
Our strawberries seem to go best with manure on them.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by danewinner danewinner wrote:

Good Pedigree, had problems and had to be retired however won a group 3
in the process.

I am looking for a hidden message or answer that may not exist but what do you
think.

I have never seen a photo of Needs Further in the traditional stance of a stallion
or the way they market them today even on the studs website.

Is there a hidden message there that the stallion is not that well conformed?

To the untrained eye his legs don't look that good to me.
I was going to send my mare to him providing she can swim across
the Tasman with me in her back.

Why is he not standing on the mainland have the good judges put a line
through him due to his injury problems which I am am I turn linking to
possible confirmation problems.

his nickname was "Ducky" because he was duck-footed...I have photos of his legs but can't up-load them...they are on my facebook page if anyone cares to look at them...send me a message..

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 10:11pm
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i371/Julie_Ashworth/Facebook/2011%20AT%20THE%20RACES%20SALES%20and%20STABLES/200745_203233679703942_3733503_n.jpg?t=1410602708

It seems to be almost impossible to get some or all FB pics up. BD has found if you copy it to Twitter, it'll paste fine here but press Preview 1st, although sometimes that works but the post doesn't Angry

Edited by Gay3 - 13 Sep 2014 at 10:26pm
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 10:29pm

Ah, Photobucket Smile Just left click the bottom dropdowny thing, the IMG one & it'll say 'copied' then paste direct into the window.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 11:42pm
thanks Gay...

Vincent View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vincent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

his nickname was "Ducky" because he was duck-footed...I have photos of his legs but can't up-load them...they are on my facebook page if anyone cares to look at them...send me a message.. 

Well with duck feet his stock should "swim" in the heavy down South.

However on a more serious note there'll hopefully be an understandable spike in interest in him following the Golden Rose.
honi soit qui mal y pense
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2014 at 12:43am
AS an old pollie "ranga" used to say "Please Explain" .Duck footed is a term I've never heard of   
Vincent View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vincent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2014 at 9:09am
Walks like Charlie Chaplin.
honi soit qui mal y pense
Paul Hogan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2014 at 9:23pm
You there Slowdown?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2014 at 9:25pm
You there Slowdown?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2014 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by slowdown slowdown wrote:

Well there you go. Needs Furthers 3yo half brother  just makes it 4 from 4 winning the group one Golden Rose from barrier 14. did it 3 and 4 wide all the way round. pretty bloody impressive. might be time to get a mare over to Armidale.....

R....That's better, you there Slowdown?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2014 at 9:30pm
Please make your point Hogan, lest we take you for a useless contibutor.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2014 at 9:31pm
Make that useless contributor.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2014 at 9:46pm
give Paul a break.  he is new and just learning the ropes.  this place can be a bit confusing for a newbie.
speaking from experience.Cry
animals before people.
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2014 at 9:53pm
hi Paul. how can i help
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>