Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Needs Further Standing in Tasmania

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vontastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Needs Further Standing in Tasmania
    Posted: 12 Jul 2013 at 5:43pm

ARMIDALE STUD ANNOUNCES EXCITING NEW STALLION 2013

Armidale Stud is delighted to announce the arrival of a new sire to stand the coming stud season. A highly talented galloper who won 3 of his 5 lifetime starts, before a joint issue curtailed his career, NEEDS FURTHER won accolades from all those associated with him.

His trainer Gai Waterhouse said

"He's a very exciting horse in the making.... This season he was to be my Doncaster horse. That's how highly I rate his ability as a racehorse."

Andrew Baddock, Gooree Stud Manager,

"From birth he was always a bit of a standout. He's a lovely big strong type and I have no doubt he can make the grade as a sire."

NEEDS FURTHER only raced once at 2. Based on his impressive 53/4 length barrier trial win at Randwick two weeks earlier and Blake Shinn's pre-race comment to the press.."We think he is one of our (Waterhouse stable) top two year olds", the bookmakers installed him as an odds-on-favourite at his debut. He bungled the start badly missing vital lengths, but still managed to run third to subsequent 2 yo Group 1 winner SKILLED. Highly respected Sydney racing journalist Ken Callander wrote in the following Monday's "Daily Telegraph", "Forget it ran. After being used up, it was a big effort to finish close as he did."

At 3 NEEDS FURTHER came out and won 3 races in a row, culminating in the AJC Group 3 Carbine Club Stakes 1600m at headquarters. His jockey Nash Rawiller was very upbeat after the impressive win,

"This is a really serious horse."

His emphatic win did not go unnoticed by a number of racing experts

"....his Carbine Club win was impressive. VERY impressive" Practical Punting Monthly

On the same day NEEDS FURTHER won his Group 3, super mare BLACK CAVIAR clocked up another of her great wins coming from behind to beat HAY LIST. That day "NEEDS FURTHER ran home quicker than BLACK CAVIAR with a final 200m in 11.93" ANZ Bloodstock Sectional Times Weekly.

There is no doubt he was fast, had great acceleration and a will to win. The three horses that finished behind NEEDS FURTHER in the Carbine Club all went on to either win or place in Group 1 races. Trainer Gai Waterhouse was confident she had a Group 1 horse in the making, but unfortunately after two unsuccessful attempts to return him to the racetrack, a niggling joint issue finished his racing career.

NEEDS FURTHER is bred in the purple by Champion Sire ENCOSTA DE LAGO, from a brilliant two year old daughter of DANEHILL, CROWNED GLORY who ran a very close second to Champion Filly BELLE DE JOUR in the Group 1 Golden Slipper Stakes. His second dam is by another Champion Sire and source of speed in BLETCHINGLY, and she is a half-sister to multiple Champion Sire ZABEEL.

Such is their regard for NEEDS FURTHER , breeders Gooree Stud have retained breeding rights in the stallion. Gooree also bred Leading First Season Sire NORTHERN METEOR (also by ENCOSTA DE LAGO) who has taken all before him this season with 17 individual winners, including the exciting Group 1 winner ROMANTIC TOUCH, as well as the Chris Waller trained Group 2 winner ZOUSTAR.

David Whishaw from Armidale Stud commented on the new stallion acquisition.

"We have been on the lookout for a replacement for our very successful sire SAVOIRE VIVRE (GB), and have been conscious that the market demands precocious types. We have been offered a number of potential stallions in the past 12 months, but this is the only horse that really got us excited, and ticked all our boxes. NEEDS FURTHER quite obviously had tons of ability, plus he has a brilliant pedigree, and is a lovely big strong horse with loads of presence. If he throws foals like himself, they will be standouts in the sale ring. NORTHERN METEOR (also by Encosta de Lago) has had the most amazing first season (and remember he didn't even race as a two year old and only had 9 lifetime starts!). "

NEEDS FURTHER is expected to arrive at Armidale next week. His service fee for his first season at stud will be $3300.

For further details contact,
Robyn Whishaw 0419100634
David Whishaw 0407868269

Kind Regards
Robyn Whishaw
robyn@armidalestud.com.au

Armidale Pty ltd, P O Box 318, Carrick, Tasmania 7291, AUSTRALIA

Unsubscribe | Change Subscriber Options

Edited by Gay3 - 19 Jan 2021 at 2:25pm
vontastic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vontastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2013 at 5:51pm
Robyn emailed info to myself and I decided to post here.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2013 at 6:03pm

NEEDS FURTHER (AUS) Bay colt 2007  
Encosta de Lago
Bay 1993
Fairy King
Bay 1982
Northern Dancer
Bay 1961
Nearctic
Brown 1954
Nearco
Lady Angela
4-r
14-c
Natalma
Bay 1957
Native Dancer
Almahmoud
5-f
2-d
Fairy Bridge
Bay 1975
Bold Reason
Bay 1968
Hail to Reason
Lalun
4-n
19-b
Special
Bay 1969
Forli
Thong
3-b
5-h
Shoal Creek
Chestnut 1988
Star Way
Chestnut 1977
Star Appeal
Bay 1970
Appiani
Sterna
4-f
5-d
New Way
Chestnut 1970
Klairon
New Move
1-w
6-e
Rolls
Chestnut 1984
Mr Prospector
Bay 1970
Raise a Native
Gold Digger
8-f
13-c
Grand Luxe
Chestnut 1974
Sir Ivor
Fanfreluche
8-g
4-g
Crowned Glory
Bay 1997
Danehill
Bay 1986
Danzig
Bay 1977
Northern Dancer
Bay 1961
Nearctic
Natalma
14-c
2-d
Pas de Nom
Bay or brown 1968
Admiral's Voyage
Petitioner
4-n
7-a
Razyana
Bay 1981
His Majesty
Bay 1968
Ribot
Flower Bowl
4-l
4-d
Spring Adieu
Bay 1974
Buckpasser
Natalma
1-s
2-d
Significant Moment
Bay 1990
Bletchingly
Brown 1970
Biscay
Chestnut 1965
Star Kingdom
Magic Symbol
1-g
2-o
Coogee
Bay 1959
Relic
Last Judgement
8-f
7-a
Lady Giselle
Bay 1982
Nureyev
Bay 1977
Northern Dancer
Special
2-d
5-h
Valderna
Bay 1972
Val de Loir
Derna
5-h
16-c
  Ancestor duplications: Northern Dancer 3m x 4m,5m   Natalma 4m x 5m,5f   Special 4f x 5m  
reductio ad absurdum
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2013 at 7:48pm
That's a decent price should get a few mares one would think.
Run For Fun View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2013 at 7:51pm
Agree Brad, particularly with him hailing from the immediate female family of Zabeel.
It's hard to soar with eagles...

Cheers
songline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote songline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2013 at 12:46am
There was a post a few months back, some one asking about a stallion to replace BREAK THE VAULT  -Needs Further is probably a good replacement
vontastic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vontastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2013 at 5:52pm
$20,000 BONUS FOR BREEDING INDUSTRY
NEED FURTHER CONVINCING TO BREED AT ARMIDALE THIS SEASON?

ARMIDALE STUD is delighted to announce two highly attractive breeders incentive bonuses for its exciting new stallion NEEDS FURTHER who commences stud duties at Armidale this Spring. The Gooree Stud bred entire by twice Champion Sire ENCOSTA DE LAGO (sire of Champion First Season sire NORTHERN METEOR) from the Group 1 Slipper runner up and daughter of DANEHILL, CROWNED GLORY, won 3 of his 5 lifetime starts for trainer Gai Waterhouse, including an impressive win in Group 3 Carbine Club Stakes over 1600m at Randwick. David Whishaw revealed a total of $20,000 in breeders bonuses will be up for grabs, with $10,000 to be paid out to breeder of the first METROPOLITAN race winner by NEEDS FURTHER, and another $10,000 to be paid out to the breeder of the first STAKES winner by him.

Whishaw commented, "The owners of NEEDS FURTHER want to reward those breeders who support him with some incentives. These bonuses are a tantalising incentive for local breeders to leave their mares here in Tasmania, as well as making it worthwhile for interstate breeders to send their mares to NEEDS FURTHER, especially when they consider we have him priced at a fee of just $3,300. We've had a bit of a look around at what other new stallions are going to stud in Australia this season and we feel for a stallion with his breeding and racetrack ability he has to be the best value for money stallion of 2013." For further details on NEEDS FURTHER and the bonus scheme please contact David or Robyn Whishaw at Armidale Stud.

David 0407868269 david@armidalestud.com.au

Robyn 0419100634 robyn@armidalestud.com.au
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 10:27pm
went to Armidale Stud today as they had Needs Further and Tough Speed both on show. Needs Further is an impressive looking individual. Tough Speed too. Congratulations to Robyn and David on a well organised day. Plenty of services being booked on the day too.
danewinner View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danewinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 11:10am
Good Pedigree, had problems and had to be retired however won a group 3
in the process.

I am looking for a hidden message or answer that may not exist but what do you
think.

I have never seen a photo of Needs Further in the traditional stance of a stallion
or the way they market them today even on the studs website.

Is there a hidden message there that the stallion is not that well conformed?

To the untrained eye his legs don't look that good to me.
I was going to send my mare to him providing she can swim across
the Tasman with me in her back.

Why is he not standing on the mainland have the good judges put a line
through him due to his injury problems which I am am I turn linking to
possible confirmation problems.

slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 11:35am
  • An explosive Group 3 winning blue-blood with everything to offer to broodmare owners at a very special price.
  • Precocious colt with natural 2yo ability. Returning as a 3yo after an enforced twelve month break he did only what exceptional horses can do - rising from a six length victory in a maiden to Group winning company within three undefeated starts.
  • In what was to prove to be a noteworthy rendition of the time honoured ATC Carbine Club Stakes he vanquished the more seasoned campaigners and Group 1 performers Divorces (2nd), Shadows in the Sun (3rd) and Happy Trails (4th).
  • Needs Further was fast, faster than world champion sprinter Black Caviar. On the day Needs Further won the Carbine Club over 1600m at Randwick, he was timed to run his last 200m (11.93 secs) faster than Black Caviar did when running from behind to defeat Hay List in the Group 1 TJ Smith Stakes over the 1200m.
  • Son of twice Champion Australian Sire Encosta De Lago – “an emerging sire of sires”. Sire of the ill-fated 2012-2013 record breaking Champion Australian First Crop Sire Northern Meteor.
  • From a family of speed. Out of Crowned Glory, a Group 3 winning 2yo and the Golden Slipper runner up to the multiple Group 1 winning Bel Du Jour, with Champion Australian 2yo and 3yo Assertive Lad in third placing.
  • Just as with two of the world’s greatest young stallion prospects Frankel and Sepoy, Needs Further’s dam is by the all-conquering Danehill.
  • His grand-dam Significant Moment is by the three times Champion Australian Sire and influential sprinting stallion Bletchingly.
  • She is a half-sister to all-time great Zabeel – a record breaking fourteen times Champion NZ Stallion (Australian & NZ combined earnings).
  • Needs Further joins Gooree Stud’s long list of bred, raced and retained stallions standing at stud which includes Northern Meteor, Your Song and Smart Missile.
  • A 16.1 hand high stallion with great bone, scope and strength, plus a wonderful temperament.
  • Compare his $3,300 fee with other first season sires with similar credentials to Needs Further and we think you’ll agree there is no better value available in Australia.
  • Performance – Pedigree – Physique – Potential – Price.

JoH View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 11:52am
Why is he not standing on the mainland have the good judges put a line 
through him due to his injury problems which I am am I turn linking to
possible confirmation problems.

Maybe I'm missing something here too Danewinner but my guess as to why this horse is standing in Tassie is simply that Armidale felt he met their current and future breeding program, that his pedigree was a good and commercially sound fit and they put their hand in their pocket and bought him.  

As to any real (or imagined) conformation 'issues' ... I've never seen the horse, nor do I know the people at Armidale but IF he were to have 'issue' no horse and I do mean no horse is perfect.  
Also please remember that what you may see as a deal breaker someone else will see as a minor hiccup.

As to how a horse is presented in photos ... some will stand in the traditional TB pose and other people may prefer a more 'arty' or action picture.  
If you're thinking about using any horse I would suggest you either ask for some pictures to be taken and emailed to you or (and this would be my preferred option) you go to the stud and see the horse in person.  
It might seem a bit old-school but if I am thinking of sending a mare anywhere I need to see where she's going and who (and how) she would be looked after ... I can't find that out via a website or telephone call.  just sayin...  

suck it up ... Life isn't run at w.f.a. :)
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 12:55pm
I believe Armidale have a great reputation for professionalism including mares going home in better condition than they arrived. Didn't they stand Savoir Vivre? I know some members have had dealing with them & will perhaps add their opinions when they spot the thread Wink
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
JoH View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 1:54pm
I believe Armidale have a great reputation for professionalism including mares going home in better condition than they arrived. Didn't they stand Savoir Vivre? 

To the best of my knowledge that would be a 'yes' on both counts.  Smile

suck it up ... Life isn't run at w.f.a. :)
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 3:34pm
absolute pleasure to deal with. have worked so hard to get our older mare in foal both times.  the first time they were so excited that you wouldve thought she was their mare.
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danewinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 10:41am
I started a thread today to ask why needs further is standing in Tasmania.

I read tonight my thread has been added as a comment to the Needs Further stands
in Tasmania thread.

My post centred around Why?

Why didn't the mainland buy this horse considering pedigree and
racetrack ability.

I have not seen the horse in a traditional stallion pose even on studs website.

As we know he had leg concerns whilst racing.

What do the good judges on thisForum think.

Has he been snubbed by mainland Studs due to confirmation problems?

Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 10:54am
There's no conspiracy Danewinner, and quite a few relevant issues are indeed covered in the initial thread.

The bottom line is is probably two-fold imo:

a. horses with two restricted metro wins and one Gp 3 win over 1600m will rarely find themselves on a genuinely commercial stud on the mainland irrespective of their breeding nor serve large or quality books; and
b.it was Armidale that stumped up the cash.

Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danewinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 11:20am
Second Chance,

I hear you when you say some issues were covered in the original post.

This is the stallion I selected for my mare and find it hard to believe that
he is not standing on the mainland therefore raised the question as to why.

In my opinion a totally different subject thread as to the original where he
is standing.
Maybe an experienced form visitor may know something we others don't and
are willing to share.

As for you won't find many horses who have won a group3 at major studs
Eliza Park International have announced they are standing Fighting Sun
who only won a listed race.
Don't get me wrong I am not disagreeing with you only suggesting maybe
things are changing a little were bigger studs are starting to look for
better value.

Good luck to Armadale Stud if Needs Further is free of any glaring confirmation
issues or problems because if he is in my opinion:

He will be the one that got away!

slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 12:37pm
dont think there is too much wrong with him Danewinner. he covered 70 mares down here  in his first  season. this was the most covered in Tassie with Wordsmith i believe 2nd at 55 ?  pretty good numbers considering how few mares are being mated in Tassie. Im not sure but approximately 450 mares are covered a year but i would think that could be down at the moment....
breadnbutter View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breadnbutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 1:03pm
Needs Further was advertised for months and months and not bites! For memory i reckon 60k would have bought him. In a climate where 'commercial stallions' are traded for $10's-of-millions i think that put his future prospects in relative terms.

I can find some positives about him but would i breed to him???... abolutely 100% NO!!! as it would be money down the toilet!
breadnbutter View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breadnbutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 1:05pm
Further to that... i say that knowing he will prob leave a handy horse somewhere, sometime but almost all stallions will
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by danewinner danewinner wrote:

Second Chance,

I hear you when you say some issues were covered in the original post.  This is the stallion I selected for my mare and find it hard to believe that he is not standing on the mainland therefore raised the question as to why.

As for you won't find many horses who have won a group3 at major studs Eliza Park International have announced they are standing Fighting Sun who only won a listed race. 

What I suggested was just a little different but importantly so; ie "horses with two restricted metro wins and one Gp 3 win over 1600m will rarely find themselves on a genuinely commercial stud on the mainland irrespective of their breeding nor serve large or quality books".

And the comparison with Fighting Sun probably proves my point, as it's clear that people (for better or worse) are far more likely to go with a precocious, unbeaten 2yo Listed winner and an early favorite for the Slipper than the winner of a 1600m Carbine Club Stakes.

ps I still see no reason whyNeeds further wouldn't be a success in Tassie.
pss Fighting Sun was raced by Eliza Park International so little surprise to se them give him a chance at stud

slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 3:01pm
robyn@armidalestud.com.au
Further Glory
Hallowed Crown winning the G3 Kindergarten Stakes on Saturday

Last Saturday at Randwick, the first race on the first day of the new look Sydney Autumn Carnival, now called The Championships may have unearthed a true Championship contender for the 2014-2015 season. Remember this name - Hallowed Crown.

Bred and raced by Eduardo Cojuangco's Gooree Stud, and trained by James and Bart Cummings, the beautifully bred 2yo colt Hallowed Crown, by Steet Sense out of Danehill mare Crowned Glory, had scored impressively on debut seventeen days earlier with a comfortable 1 ¼ length victory over 1150m at Randwick/Kensington. Lining up for start number two in Saturday's $200,000 Group 3 ATC Kindergarten Stakes, the big step up from a Maiden to Black-Type company would usually find out most lightly raced horses, however, in Hallowed Crown's case, his win over the 1100m was even more exciting than his debut win. A delighted James Cummings when interviewed post-race enthused, 

"He's a real athlete and a real professional and he loves to absorb the race day experience. We saw that two weeks ago when he won on the Kensington track on debut. We aimed at this race ever since and even though he looks like a horse that will keep getting better over further, quality goes a long way. He wanted to attack the line. This horse will be a real carnival horse for the next few years to come I think."

Needs Further winning The G3 Carbine Club

Hallowed Crown's Group 3 Randwick win so early in his career would have come as little surprise to David and Robyn Whishaw of Tasmania's famed Armidale Stud. You see they stand Hallowed Crown's half-brother Needs Further (by Encosta De Lago), a horse who also rose quickly from a Maiden win at his second start to a Group 3 Randwick win at his fourth start in the AJC Carbine Club Stakes (1600m), a race in which he defeated Group 1 horses Happy TrailsShadows in the Sun and Divorces

On retiring Gai Waterhouse stated "Needs Further was a quality colt from day one. He was a natural talent that found galloping easy. It took Group 1 winner Skilled to beat him on debut at two. At three he won the Group 3 Carbine Club, and this season he was to be my Doncaster Handicap horse. That's how highly I rate his ability as a racehorse." No one could question Gai in respect of knowing what type of horse it takes to win a Doncaster, she's won seven of them! Gai added, "He is a tremendous physical and I urge all breeders to inspect Needs Further in the flesh. Seeing is believing." Very high praise from the Australian Racing Hall of Fame inductee.

It is now apparent Gai's words did not fall on deaf ears. When Armidale announced their new stallion acquisition to breeders in mid-2013 the phone rang hot. At season's end Needs Further had covered 70 mares, making him Tassie's most popular sire in 2013. Some of quality mares tested in foal to Needs Further include:

·         Caralowe (by Hennessy) - dam of Melbourne & Adelaide Group 3 winning 2yo Triple                                     Asset ($267,000 earnings).

·         Queen's Own (by Coronation Day) - dam of one of Tasmania's best ever race mares, the $1.1                 million earner Lady Lynette.

·         Regal Heights (by Zabeel) - dam of multiple Sydney & Melbourne Group                                                         placegetter Queenstown ($333,000 earnings).

·         Wexford (by Weasel Clause) - Group 3 winner of the VRC St Leger.

·         Oceans (by Fastnet Rock) - Sydney winner from the family of 5 times G1 winner Theseo.

·         Buzzing Along (by Tough Speed) - stakes placed winner of 4 Metropolitan races.

·         Satin Choice (by Redoute's Choice) - Melbourne winner.

·         Gehenna (by Ladoni) - a stakes winning 2yo who has already produced 4 Metropolitan winners in             Victoria and Tasmania.

Needs Further
 is by twice Australian Champion Sire Encosta De Lago, sire of last season's Australian Champion First Season Sire, the ill-fated Northern Meteor. His dam Crowned Glory is by nine times Australian Champion Sire Danehill. She was a Group winning 2yo who just missed out on capturing the pinnacle of Australian 2yo racing the Group 1 Golden Slipper, beaten into second place by a mere half-head. Her dam Significant Moment is by multiple Australian Champion Sire in Bletchingly and is a half-sister to another multiple Champion Sire in ZabeelNeeds Further's pedigree is hard to fault.

Armidale Stud's David Whishaw commented, "We are very much looking forward to the arrival of Needs Further's first foals this Spring. He's a lovely strong athletic horse, with a super temperament. If he can throw stock like himself then we will be over the moon."

The undefeated Hallowed Crown's recent Randwick successes will have done little to dampen the enthusiasm of both Armidale Stud and Needs Further's 2013 season supporters. In fact it's hard to wipe the smile off their faces at present. Roll on Spring 2014.

For more information please contact Armidale Stud

David Whishaw 0407 868 269 david@armidalestud.com.au

Robyn Whishaw 0419 100 634 robyn@rmidalestud.com.au

www.needsfurther.com.au

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 3:36pm
The new thread has again been merged with the old, which is extremely time consuming. There is no need whatsoever to create new threads, when a simple post will achieve the same result. Whilst I love the horse as a breed to race option, he's not exactly Black Caviar or Frankel & members find it far easier to access the information they're after, when it's contained in the one thread Stern Smile
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 5:15pm
Gay I'm reminded of that famous Billie Holliday song "Time on my Hands".  Wink

Another reason I suspect the Whishaw's were attracted to Needs Further is the fact that he's by Encosta De Lago.

They together with other Tasmanian breeders have any number of mares by Savoire Vivre, and any mating of NF with a SV mare would result in siblings Fairy King and Sadlers Wells 3 x 3, Fairy Bridge and Nureyev 4 x 4 x 5, and the proven His Majesty/Graustark cross 5 x 5.

There are far worse ways of trying to breed winners.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 5:24pm
Bloody beautiful isn't it? Clap I've recommended a friend with a Spinning World mare head to him as she has Lalun on the dam side too Wink. Another has Lady Gizelle (Savabeel), S'royal & Lalun, this is why I reckon he'll be so well suited to a vast number of mares Smile. I'm still on the P plates & even I can see that LOL
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danewinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 10:15pm
Second Chance,

Not sure if Fighting Sun was favourite for the slipper I thought Earthquake was always
favourite.

Gay,
I understand Needs Further is not Frankel or Black Caviar although I don't see the
relevance either.
I started a polo opposite thread and on reflection I think the thread should be
left as a unique thread.

Let's look at it from your angle.

Thread: Frankel stands at Darley.
Another Thread: Why is Frankel standing at Darley he only has three legs.

Subject horse the same totally different threads.

A new subject gains attention from all forum visitors if it is a major
point and a polo opposite subject on the same subject matter that
is why I posted in my opinion no need to link.
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 11:02pm
Gay and Second Chance after doing the studbook rounds  it shows there are 25 S.V. Broodmares of which at this point 4 have gone to N.F. The two better ones being Red Willow and Si Vite.....
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danewinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Bloody beautiful isn't it? Clap I've recommended a friend with a Spinning World mare head to him as she has Lalun on the dam side too Wink. Another has Lady Gizelle (Savabeel), S'royal & Lalun, this is why I reckon he'll be so well suited to a vast number of mares Smile. I'm still on the P plates & even I can see that LOL

Gay,

Just did a couple of test posts.

I didn't realise when you made a post it goes to the top thought it stayed in
it's original position therefore not as many look at it.

Next time will link to original subject as per bosses instructions.

All good then Thumbs Up

Edited by Gay3 - 18 Apr 2014 at 10:25am
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danewinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 11:23am
Anyone know roughly how much it would cost to take your mare from Victoria to Tasmania and back?
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 11:38am
I've forgotten but do know it was cheaper than expected about 5yrs ago, maybe $300 Confused but I'm pretty sure Armidale pay one way for Vic mares & possibly others do too Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>