Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Tributes Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Crisp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote andynr123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crisp
    Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 11:08pm
A piece I wrote for sports website The Roar, looking back at the career of the mighty chaser Crisp.

rubiton View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubiton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 9:46pm
Crisp did become a hunter - his owner then wrote a full article for a magazine called horse and hound in the mid 80s.  They also said he died in his stable either after a days hunting or not long after his last hunt.  He was well looked after in retirement.

However I cannot find a full record of his races from the time he left Australia to the Grand national as he did go to the US I think twice (once on the way to the UK) for a big jumps race there.  Just seems impossible to locate the equivalent of the Aust Turf Register for UK jumps horses of that time. 
tongue tie View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tongue tie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 9:47pm
Falvelon is from the same female family .Crisp could stay and jump and by contrast Falvelon could sprint .
rubiton View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubiton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 10:15pm

Wasnt Royal Ida from the same family and could not jump (as he proved when he tried to jump the fence from the mounting yard onto the racetrack at Cheltenham after inning a Christmas Hcp.  Fence was only about 3 foot high and he fell over it (and then took off up the track)).

Majestic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2013 at 11:11pm
was at the course on Hickins Steeple day, when Crisp, from a length behind leader at the finishing post the first time round, landed half length in front of that leader upon landing. He was phenomenal and Tommy McGinley, if he had been riding at Aintree, would have beaten Red Rum. At least Tommy would have known the course and the finishing run-in. Great horse and obviously well treated in retirement with all those leasurely hunts to keep him up to scratch in retirement.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2013 at 1:44pm
I bet Tommy wishes he'd partnered him at Aintree too, rather than living with the knowledge that a horse he loved 7 had been so good to him, had been denied UK champion status, thru' no fault of his Unhappy
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
The Ear View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Ear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2013 at 3:53pm
McGinley told me that if he had ridden the horse at Cheltenham he would have won the Gold Cup.
Majestic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 9:26pm
Rubiton, Crisp did indeed run twice in USA in Maryland in the Colonial Steeplechase, the first time on his way to England as you stated. I cannot remember his placing, but I believe he did not win. I can just remember listening to a call of the race. 
Geraldo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Geraldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 2:59pm
Just been watching the race again.  L'Escargot came from a helluva long way back to finish 3rd in that race, but we never see it.

tilt10 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tilt10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 12:15pm
The best race by an  Australian horse over the last fifty years and Crisp lost the race. Superior horse to Red Rum. The last race proved it. Equal weights and Crisp wins by 10. Absolute guts. 

So Col Tidy.     What is the best horse you have ever seen race in Australia?      "Vain". What a good judge.
So Ken Callander. Best sprinter you have ever seen in Australia?  "Vain by a long
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 1:21pm
This is well worth 14m and 25 seconds of your time.

reductio ad absurdum
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 1:46pm
Thanks djebel.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 2:04pm
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 3:40pm
Lovely to watch that leap he had.   As he was a son of an English mare it would be interesting to see if any of the female line produced National Runners.
Majestic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 8:03pm
Just watched the 2018 Grand National at Aintree and there was a "WTF" moment. At Beecher the first time, two horses fell and one dislodged its rider. Next time around, the green curtain was obvious on the landing side and one of the jockeys who fell, with other officials, was guiding the fiel d around Beecher the second time. I thought poor horse, but it was actually a screen around a fallen jockey. Thought the fellow jockey who helped redirect the field did a genuinely good job, BUT the stewards opened an enquiry and reprimanded this helper jockey. By Christ, those English are hard to please. 🙈😝
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 12:17am
reductio ad absurdum
 Post Reply Post Reply