Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Soccer - what a bore !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soccer - what a bore !
    Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 12:30am

I love watching (& having a punt) on most sports - luv my AFL / NRL / NFL / NBA / NBL & golf to name but a few . Just cannot appreciate a game of soccer - find it as boring as bat poo compared to others . Never played it as a kid - & whilst i appreciate the skill in the game i get frustrated watching it. Pass, pass, beautiful long kick, pass, header to another player, pass , pass all the way down the field after skirting the side-line a few times then.....BOOT...........shot on goal that misses 99 times out of a hundred...........then boot by the goalie up the other end to start all over again ! Too often i have seen the team with superior field position either lose or draw a game - something that rarely occurs in high scoring games such as AFL & to a lesser extent NRL / Rugby. Now i know this post will upset a few, & the game is the biggest in the world, however i put that down to indoctrination at an early age. Anyhow i think the game would be much more entertaining to watch / fairer to the best team if the game was higher scoring.......so that the team who has more shots on goal has a greater chance of winning.........& that could easily be achieved by increasing the goal size by about a half ! Not a new idea.....& buckleys of happening........but do any others think along similiar lines ? 
Refer ALP Election Promises
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 12:39am
There is only one reason to watch........the penalties........player writhes in terminal agony, only to scamper away like a gazelle as soon as the penalty and/or red card comes out. Warner Bros would be impressed. I don't think there is any objective standard to apply to sports as to how watchable they are, the yanks love basketball, but it is a punishment to have to watch rather than a sport, imo. Just me maybe !
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 12:49am
Yeah Max..........i also struggled with baseball..........then started to follow..........& now prefer it to cricket. Went to see a Yankees vs Mets game recently in New York & a great afternoon.Pressure on those pitchers is unbelievable & amazing behind the scene analysis on a ball by ball basis. So definately an aquired taste - yanks absolutetly luv it. I also find tennis tedious to watch these days..........don't mind the finals in big tournaments but thats about it. We are very fortunate to have AFL / NRL in this country........fantastic spectatator sports....second to none IMO.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 12:52am
I don't mind baseball, basketball is another story............
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 1:05am
Sorry Max.......misread.........thought u said baseball. I like having a bet on basketball (NBA / College & NBL).......like the overs/unders. Again i do appreciate the skill - just a game that discriminates against the physiques of 99% of the population. If you are less than 6 ft 10 inches & white you are unlkely to get a contract in the NBA - even Andrew Gaze only achieved bench status for a season or 2 over there ! Even so, can't help but be impressed by the likes of Le Bron James - absolute magnificent huge / agile athlete !
mowie View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mowie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 8:44am
if i wamted to see soemone not score for 90mins i'd go out clubing with my best mate...
chris Armstrong waller, *drugs are bad mkay
Gettingbigger View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gettingbigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 9:04am
Originally posted by mowie mowie wrote:

if i wamted to see soemone not score for 90mins i'd go out clubing with my best mate...

LOL  that's funny
Say nothing once why say it again
waggamick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waggamick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 9:31am
The attraction of soccer to its many followers is the difficulty of scoring.
8 or 9 opposition players in a 50 m x 60 m half defending a goal 2.5 m x 7.3 m (18 square metres) against 6 or 7 propelling a spherical object that can only be propelled by foot or head past a 2+m high moving guard and an offside rule makes scoring extremely difficult.
Hence the low scores and extreme displays of relief by players and spectators when one side can actually get the ball into the net.
The exciting part of soccer is the build up to a shot.
A goal is the ultimate thrill.
But the many close shots and great saves make it an exciting game.

To ask for more goals implies that you want the defensive side of the game weakened which could only be done so through a netball style of designated defender.

I've been to low scoring NRL and AFL matches that have been much more absorbing than higher scoring games.

As far as basketball is concerned it was the NBL's outlawing of Zone Defences that made it a scoring free for all and ultimately a run and gun boring game.
Watch college ball where zone defences are played and you'll see a much more interesting game where scoring becomes tougher against a range of defensive zone set ups.

Baseball is a really interesting game as evfery pitch can win or lose the game with the manager having the option of changing the line up as the state of the game changes. Once you become aware of the nuances of the game the chess like matching of skill against skill and trying to exploit a perceived weakness makes the game fascinating.
The Dude Abides
Quaddie King View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quaddie King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 10:13am
Soccer is a total bore 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 12:35pm
Some people don't like anchovies on their pizza, others don't like soccer on the sporting menu. Whatever floats your boat.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 12:41pm
Fair analysis Wagga...........however don't u think the "arse factor" decides results in low scoring games.........i mean a deflection can give a team a 1 nil win in a soccer match..........in AFL the same thing is much less likely to decide a game
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

There is only one reason to watch........the penalties........player writhes in terminal agony, only to scamper away like a gazelle as soon as the penalty and/or red card comes out. Warner Bros would be impressed. I don't think there is any objective standard to apply to sports as to how watchable they are, the yanks love basketball, but it is a punishment to have to watch rather than a sport, imo. Just me maybe !

only time I ever watch basketball is at the Olympics....

what skills? being tall enough to lean over and put the ball in the net...

now wheelchair basketball is another story....great skill and entertainment...was a big fan of Sandy Blythe...

love baseball and soccer...have so many movies about baseball...Field of Dreams, Bull Durham, For the Love of the Game, A League of Their Own etc...

undefined

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
waggamick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waggamick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 5:18pm
You don't need to go far to get an appreciation of the incredible skills in basketball...head down to your local courts when Div. 1 or Div. 2 games are being played..you might change your tune.
The Dude Abides
WarriSymbol View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarriSymbol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Fair analysis Wagga...........however don't u think the "arse factor" decides results in low scoring games.........i mean a deflection can give a team a 1 nil win in a soccer match..........in AFL the same thing is much less likely to decide a game
In a one off game, yes, the "arse factor" can decide a result.
Over a whole season though, as in all football codes, the cream rises to the top.
StateTheObvious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StateTheObvious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 8:39pm
I played baseball, basketball and cricket for many years among other sporting forays. The most boring and thankless game by far was basketball. Too many ankle injuries and inconsistent/ambiguous umpiring. The skill level is grossly over rated. Local games are no more interesting than what you see on TV. In most cases the scoring will be a lot lower than the pros with a skill level that is often mundane. I'd rather watch high grade local aussie rules football any day. At least I can stand in the rain with a bbq banger in bread in one hand a can of amber nectar in the other. The crowd banter cannot be matched down at the local basketball courts. 

Baseball on the other hand was always fun whether watching or playing. The local club had a great atmosphere for families. Cricket was by far my favourite game. The minute adjustments of line and length along with field placements can make a vast difference to the end result. The small nuances of both sports are fascinating and ever evolving. The club scene with cricket was never as family friendly as baseball though. 

Soccer is little more than an imminent tragedy waiting to unfold. As others have stated, the side that dominates doesn't always win. It's a flukers sport and results often come down to questionable decisions from the refs. Don't get me started on penalty shoot outs. What an absurd way to end any game. It's also the game filled with players with the least sportsmanlike qualities. 

At the end of the day though it's always a case of each to their own. 
Fiddlesticks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 9:21pm
Group & WFA racing, NH racing and Test Cricket ( ashes ) are about the only sports I really hate to miss these days, all other sports I can live without but watch out of the corner of my eye subliminally due to them constantly being on screens at work.

Panspermia.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StateTheObvious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 9:33pm
My local soccer team drew 2-2 with Chelsea yesterday. I still can't get excited. They should have been beaten 8-0 if wages mean anything. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarriSymbol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by StateTheObvious StateTheObvious wrote:

Soccer is little more than an imminent tragedy waiting to unfold. As others have stated, the side that dominates doesn't always win.

It's a flukers sport and results often come down to questionable decisions from the refs. 
"He was plumb in front crooked fingered ump! I want a review."
Oh it's India we're playing - can't do it. Next week it's the Windies, we can review the same type of decision then.  Makes sense. 

Don't get me started on penalty shoot outs. What an absurd way to end any game.
Yeah, a draw at the end of five days play makes far more sense.

It's also the game filled with players with the least sportsmanlike qualities.
Ball tampering, bat throwing, deliberate no balls, bookie bribes....

Playing in pyjamas, hot spot, snicko, strobing stumps, mic'd up players, 20 overs, 50 overs, five days with no result and a total of five, that's right, five competitive nations in test cricket.
I just don't get cricket.
Never played it as a kid.

When I was in my early teens the old man was taking my brother down the coast on a hot summer's day.
We were stopped at the traffic lights where next to us there was a local cricket match in play.
My brother said,"How's these blokes standing around in the field sweating their arses off while we're on the way to the beach for a surf where we can see hot chicks in bikinis."

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StateTheObvious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 10:18pm
At the end of the day though it's always a case of each to their own

I didn't say I like pyjama or 20/20 cricket. They are pathetic "advances" to satisfy the needs of those with fleeting attentions. What's wrong with a draw? Time is a constraint all games are controlled by. The obsession some have with an outright result is boring. A draw is a fitting result for many contests. A scoreless draw is par for the course in soccer. Some insist that standing around for two hours watching nobody score at all is very exciting. I'm not one of them. For me the tension that builds on the field when scoring is tight in cricket is far more compelling by comparison. I loved fielding though. Many are too self obsessed to get into it. They want to be the bowler or they get petulant. Go play soccer instead and dribble to yourself all day! 

I spoke about cricket from a playing perspective. As non players I don't expect  anyone to get anything about the sport that I love to participate in. I don't care how many countries play any particular game. Global participation isn't a pre requisite for personal enjoyment. 

If you want to highlight the extremities of any sport and its combatants it's very easily done. Many play and watch sport at a local level so the whole bribery/gambling issue is a non event. The best sport is not the one where the players are the highest paid. Mind you even low paid, low league, local soccer players have been caught in betting scandals. Never mind the leaders of the game who are constantly in trouble for racial abuse. The fans are even worse. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarriSymbol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 11:30pm
At the end of the day though it's always a case of each to their own. Thumbs Up  It would be a pretty boring world if everyone liked the same stuff.
Znatchy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Znatchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 10:53am
I can't believe there is a thread entitled 'soccer - what a bore' and we've just been through two weeks of Aus Open tennis; undoubtedly the most boring event in sport.
Grinnersawinner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grinnersawinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 11:04am

I played baseball, basketball and cricket for many years among other sporting forays. The most boring and thankless game by far was basketball. Too many ankle injuries and inconsistent/ambiguous umpiring. The skill level is grossly over rated. Local games are no more interesting than what you see on TV. In most cases the scoring will be a lot lower than the pros with a skill level that is often mundane. I'd rather watch high grade local aussie rules football any day. At least I can stand in the rain with a bbq banger in bread in one hand a can of amber nectar in the other. The crowd banter cannot be matched down at the local basketball courts. 

Baseball on the other hand was always fun whether watching or playing. The local club had a great atmosphere for families. Cricket was by far my favourite game. The minute adjustments of line and length along with field placements can make a vast difference to the end result. The small nuances of both sports are fascinating and ever evolving. The club scene with cricket was never as family friendly as baseball though. 

Soccer is little more than an imminent tragedy waiting to unfold. As others have stated, the side that dominates doesn't always win. It's a flukers sport and results often come down to questionable decisions from the refs. Don't get me started on penalty shoot outs. What an absurd way to end any game. It's also the game filled with players with the least sportsmanlike qualities. 

Come to Wagga and watch me STO.
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 11:11am
I love most sports and don't find anything boring about a decent contest.

Football (soccer to some) = fantastic, I love it (still play it)
AFL = love it, (watch the son play, I haven't played for 4 years)
Tennis = Love it (still play)
Baseball = Used to play, don't watch it often, but it is a great game.
Basketball = My kids are very good at, watch them 4 nights a week, love it.
Horse racing = Love it
Motor Sports = Love it, watch as much as I can (V8 supercars, F1, Moto GP).
Golf = I Play quite poorly, but love watching the pro's make it look so easy.
Rugby = Never played, watch it a little, still find it a great sport.

Really, I will watch (and participate in almost any sport), just love watching a contest. I will sit and watch the world hotdog eating contest if it is on the TV.

waggamick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waggamick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by saintly96 saintly96 wrote:

Horse racing = Love it

Really, I will watch (and participate in almost any sport), just love watching a contest. I will sit and watch the world hotdog eating contest if it is on the TV.

With you on all those Saintly barring Women's Tennis...grunting and relative slowness, Motor Sports...love watching motor bikes especially Northern Road Racing from Ireland, can't come at F1 or V8's, one guy gets in front and more often than not it becomes a procession and Rugby...like watching Rugby League but can't come at Rugby Union with all it's stoppages and penalty kicks at goal.
The Dude Abides
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by Znatchy Znatchy wrote:

I can't believe there is a thread entitled 'soccer - what a bore' and we've just been through two weeks of Aus Open tennis; undoubtedly the most boring event in sport.
No arguement from me Znatchy - Soccer would be the 2nd most boring then !
mowie View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mowie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 4:52pm
womens soccer has it's upside nom nom
chris Armstrong waller, *drugs are bad mkay
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StateTheObvious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 12:17am
Agreed. Tennis is 500 times more fun to play than it is to watch. I would rather watch u/11 soccer than Djokovic Vs Murray. As for sheilas grunting at each other for two hours .... shoot me first. 
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 12:27am

Agreed. Tennis is 500 times more fun to play than it is to watch. I would rather watch u/11 soccer than Djokovic Vs Murray. As for sheilas grunting at each other for two hours .... shoot me first. 
Not even sure about the playing bit STO............seem to spend all my time picking balls up off the ground.............give me a squash court any day !
Quaddie King View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quaddie King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 8:44am
0-0 too many games for it not to be boring
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 9:43am
Originally posted by saintly96 saintly96 wrote:

Horse racing = Love it

yep...my kids think I'm nuts because I will watch it all...including skiing, snowboarding and poker...it's a sport, isn't it?....only one I can't come at is darts....would rather watch grass grow....

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>