Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Soccer - what a bore !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Jeez, at first glance that looked ok to me to but if FIFA rankings are anywhere close to reality it is awful. France 9- Peru 11- Denmark 12- Australia 39.LOL If you saw a horserace like that the comment would be, hopelessly outgraded, better suited at the provincials.

Is it just my imagination or does England get a sweet draw at every World Cup? Not that it does them any good.

I am surprised that people are surprised that we don't get out of the group stage. We don't have the cattle.Cry If we did they would be playing for good clubs in the top leagues. It's like asking a bush trainer why he doesn't win G1s.

Just like punters Tlaz, you bet to lose with the Hope of winning, and hope springs eternal,
no different to oz football fans , they know deep down they only have a flukers chance ,
just like the bush trainer, but if you haven't got a ticket, how can you win it.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 1:35pm

A good soccer team needs a rapier thrust from their forwards but the Socceroos have damp sponges.

These are good.Big smile
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 2:09pm
It’s funny- listening to local coverage here before the Peru match it was all about how we’d be able to beat Peru and how it was a shame we didn’t get more than a point out of the first two matches. Switch over to ESPN and international coverage and the consensus was that Peru would be way too good for us. And so they were.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

It’s funny- listening to local coverage here before the Peru match it was all about how we’d be able to beat Peru and how it was a shame we didn’t get more than a point out of the first two matches. Switch over to ESPN and international coverage and the consensus was that Peru would be way too good for us. And so they were.

The boys on ESPN really know their football and Gav Marcotti f/ball journo is one of the best, the group Oz were in was tough and 2 to survive into KO are Japan and Kor.Rep.
and Iran were unlucky, so when the dust settles we should just be happy we made it,
these teams didn't, Chile (tops) Italy, America, Scotland, Wales,Nth Ireland,and plenty more, if your a fan just enjoy it and to hell what other people think.
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 10:29pm
Don't forget the Dutch, I miss the orange army at this World Cup, amazing supporters of there national team
EAD
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by TIGER TIGER wrote:

Don't forget the Dutch, I miss the orange army at this World Cup, amazing supporters of there national team

Yeah Tiger, I missed the Greeks too, I have fond memories of Kuyt when he was with Liverpool a few years back , well respected young man.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 12:03am
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Originally posted by TIGER TIGER wrote:

Yeah Tiger, I missed the Greeks too, I have fond memories of Kuyt when he was with Liverpool a few years back , well respected young man.

The Gliks all moved to Melbourne I heard.

They would be AFL brain washed by now.
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 11:51am
I'm going to pump this thread back on Page 1 after finding it in the depths of Page 8. Some what undeserving considering our boyz are playing as a bunch of unfancied no-namers. Butt thats ok! You have to start somewhere.

After finding a bit of luck to defeat Syria the Socceroos finished in 2nd place and advanced to Final 16 to await either our regular cohorts Nippon or 94th ranked in the world Uzbekistan.

Will be interesting! (maybe more the kriquette)

However these Asian Games are nowhere as enthralling to watch as the Premier League.
Watching this weekend Manchester United holding onto a 1-0 win over Spurs with De Gea showing his goalkeeping skills was like watching some high class jockey making a class 68 nag look like a champion....

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 11:56am
I can't imagine there is an international comp weaker than the Asian Cup unless the Pacific Islands run one.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Mr Prospector View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 1:02pm
It would be very interesting to pit the African nations against the best in Asia . The Gulf may not be as wide as expected and I think many would struggle to beat them . IMHO . 
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 1:39pm
I'm inclined to agree Mr Prospector, only seen a few snippets but they look very competitive , personally I'll be very surprised if we get to the semis even.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

I'm inclined to agree Mr Prospector, only seen a few snippets but they look very competitive , personally I'll be very surprised if we get to the semis even.

I totally agree as well . I've been an Arnie fan in his time at SFC  but SOME of his selection policy with the National Team doesn't look the best . 
I think some of the players will get found out when we start to hit the better teams . I like Mabil and Ikon but Maclaren and even though he's been playing well going forward I think Grant is one who will get found out .    
I still think Arnie should be given a chance and with all of the key injuries returned we will look like a far better team. 
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 8:22am
Japan took care of Uzbekistan, hence we play Uzbekistan on Jan. 21.

Qatar surprised by beating Saudi Arabia and now send the Saudis to play against Japan.

Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 10:30am
Big Game later today...

Jordan outed on penalties to Vietnam.  Hmmmm

Hope our boyz rize to the occazion!!!
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 3:44am
On penalties 4-2 we're through!!!!

Matt Ryan the saviour!

First half we were under pressure.

Second half we should of scored a couple of times. The finishing touch is just not in this team.
Nonetheless, AET Uzbekis got back into the game and it was all even!

1/4 finals next UAE or Kyrgyzstan.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 8:11am
Mystery sacking. Not even the players know why.Big smile

Simon Cameron

Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 8:36am
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 8:41am
So we face the hosts UAE who won in AET.

Match to be played in Hazza bin Zayed Stadium which is not the main stadium in UAE and located in Al Ain.

Crowds have been small during the tournament which really makes me wonder how a country like this can hold a tournament like this with attendances Carlisle United can easily match. Capacity is 25,000 so it will be full for this encounter.

Rogic is out suspended which is not good. Leckie when he came on was quite dangerous. Don't know if he'll last the whole game.
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 9:08am
Just a quick byline after watching the extended highlights of the UAE - Kyrgyzstan match and the penalty awarded by the Chinese referee in AET to UAE would be more suspect than the no call in the LARams - NOSaints NFC Championship match.

Since our boyz will be playing UAE look for this referee biasness to show up big time.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 9:16am
UAE - Kyrgyzstan Shocked

You must really like watching soccer.

Simon Cameron

Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 9:23am

UAE - Kyrgyzstan Shocked

You must really like watching soccer.

Its just that I'm officially retired now and I have oooooodles of time on my hand now.

I'm trying to convert all this good energy with some punts that will hopefully prove a worthwhile ROI.

Soccer was the game of my youth. Played for USC Lion in Adelaide in the early 80s.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 12:19pm
Well at least you got off your backside Brudder and played some sport in your youth and maintain the zest, good on you, now our chances to get to the semi's imo are zilch as I see it.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 1:17pm
The Aussies seemed to have developed the habit of winning ugly in these types of matches and while thats a good thing , they will need some luck to go further ( and a goal scorer) . IMHO . 
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 1:42pm
Don't get me wrong Mr P. lol, I would love to see our boys go all the way but I've gone a little cold fwiw.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 5:35pm
I figure you must be a fan to some extent as you're able to post without referring to the name of the thread LOL . 
I agree with you anyway Carioca , I hope I'm wrong but it wouldn't surprise if they exited at the next game . 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 10:27am

Mystery sacking. Not even the players know why.

The Trial, by Franz Kafka

Chapter One

Someone must have been telling lies about Alen Stajcic, he knew he had done nothing wrong but, one morning, he was sacked.

Simon Cameron

Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 8:59am
Real Madrid's reign in Europe has finally ended with Ajax Amsterdam winning 4-1 tonight at the Bernabeu Stadium.

Champions for the last three years their reign in Europe has been formidable, but with Ronaldo's departure an air of inevitability was beckoning. Bale will be next to go. And maybe The Special One returning is on the cards.

Nice to see Tottenham Hotspur advance to the next stage.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 9:16am
Originally posted by Brudder_A Brudder_A wrote:

Real Madrid's reign in Europe has finally ended with Ajax Amsterdam winning 4-1 tonight at the Bernabeu Stadium.

Champions for the last three years their reign in Europe has been formidable, but with Ronaldo's departure an air of inevitability was beckoning. Bale will be next to go. And maybe The Special One returning is on the cards.

No sane person could possibly think that Mourinho would improve RM. Shocked

Simon Cameron

Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 10:56am

Originally posted by Brudder_A Brudder_A wrote:

No sane person could possibly think that Mourinho would improve RM. Shocked

But according to a report by the Independent, Real Madrid president Florentino Perez is interested in bringing the former Chelsea boss back to the Bernabeu.

Los Blancos are currently being managed by former player Santiago Solari, but it is believed that the club’s hierarchy view Mourinho as the perfect man to lead an overhaul.

Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 10:16am
Amazingly, The Red Devils advance to the quarter finals of the Champions League with they typical melodramatics which this club is associated with.

Needing to score a goal to advance on away goal rule on tied aggregate scorelines Manchester United get a chance in added time when the PSG defender turned his back as he jumped, had handled a Diogo Dalot shot as it struck him on the arm in the penalty area.

OH MY!!!!

Rashford scores the penalty (thank you Paul Pogba for being suspended!)

United ADVANCE!!!!!!

Check the highlights if you can but in reality PSG choked with two crucial mistakes which gave Lukaku one-on-one goal scores and also the penalty!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>