Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Soccer - what a bore !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Mr Prospector Mr Prospector wrote:

I'm not going to try and defend it Djebel . I agree with the rolling around screaming antics are annoying but if someone puts their studs down your archilles or stomps on your foot . It Hurts . 

Players in all sports have been trying to con refs forever . The South Americans in the A-league are the worst and they quickly get a reputation so now the refs ignore them a lot of the time . 

If any player from another code goes down the way these blokes do you automatically think “season”. Broken this, rupture that. With these blokes you KNOW they’ll be up and ruining about in 2 minutes like nothing ever happened.

It’s an absolute blight on the game, made worse by the fact that it seems totally acceptable within the games culture, and no one wants to do anything about it.
Mr Prospector View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 2:29pm
That's why I can't understand why you watch it ? It doesn't make sense if you hate it so much . 

The only person that can change that part of the game is the Ref . 
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 2:42pm
If I hated the “game” I wouldn’t care. I lived near Shepherds Bush in London in the mid 90s. Every other week we would trudge around to Loftus Road (via the Moon on Green of course) to watch the mighty ‘Rs play. Seemed to much less of this sort of carry on then.

I don’t hate the game. I used to love it. I hate the spectacle of papmpered millionaires carrying on like 4 year olds. It’s sad how many football followers are just conditioned to this stuff now.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 2:47pm
Mighty Angst, and the Socceroos
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 2:48pm
I find the it can be irritating but that's offset by classy play in the most of epl games that fox shows, European , south am, African, their all guilty and when the rake you down the Achilles or tread deliberately on your foot the sprigs coming down on such a thin shoe they wear now some must be painful imo. ( don't watch Oz at all).
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 2:48pm
The Mile Jedinak death stare , there is still plenty of players who are fair dinkum . 
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

If I hated the “game” I wouldn’t care. I lived near Shepherds Bush in London in the mid 90s. Every other week we would trudge around to Loftus Road (via the Moon on Green of course) to watch the mighty ‘Rs play. Seemed to much less of this sort of carry on then.

I don’t hate the game. I used to love it. I hate the spectacle of papmpered millionaires carrying on like 4 year olds. It’s sad how many football followers are just conditioned to this stuff now.

Did they have the same amount of " imported" players as they have now? in the epl.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 2:54pm

Most don't get it Judge.    It isn't the game we are complaining about .       It is the never ending feigning of injury and Shocking referee decisions at times .
   Easily fixed I feel...      Players who go down claiming injury , must leave the field for 15 minutes.    limited replacements allowed.
   Disputed referee decisions be reviewed by camera replay for adjudication.
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

Most don't get it Judge.    It isn't the game we are complaining about .       It is the never ending feigning of injury and Shocking referee decisions at times .
   Easily fixed I feel...      Players who go down claiming injury , must leave the field for 15 minutes.    limited replacements allowed.
   Disputed referee decisions be reviewed by camera replay for adjudication.

That sort of thing. FIFA could address it if they wanted but they don’t. Participants and fans don’t seem to care. Part of the fabric of the game now, unfortunately.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 3:17pm
It is like a microcosm of wider society, What would have once been looked upon as blatant cheating, becomes normalised. Like phone scammers who are pretty well left to run riot today, would once have attracted fraud investigation.
Newtown Old Boy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newtown Old Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 6:05pm
So people don't think the "acting" doesn't happen in AFL an NRL? Give me a break...
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 8:59pm
It has crept into the NRL now, look how often they stay down these days if hit anywhere near the head hoping that during the break in play the video ref will spot something and grant a penalty.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 9:02pm
The difference is they crash to the ground in soccer without any contact at times.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 9:09am
Ange has pulled the pin Shocked
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 9:11am
Ange Postecoglou announces he will step down as @socceroos coach immediately. Will not take the side to the World Cup. @9NewsSyd
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 10:33am
I honestly think this guy has been spooking for a few months now just reading the body language, Lowie upset him maybe?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 10:41am
Senior players apparently 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 11:05am
Rebellion ?
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

I honestly think this guy has been spooking for a few months now just reading the body language, Lowie upset him maybe?

That should read " sooking", how did I miss that.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 12:08pm
Looked better with "spooking", that sounded more profound !
cabosanlucas View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

Rebellion ?

potting coaches from an outsider perspective is a game for all nowadays. they all have targets on their heads and its aim fire.

thing that i keep sayin....unless you are being coached by that person or part of the inner sanctum...how can you know if someone can coach or not? (Not directed at you btw). some things can be attributed to coaches and there coaching, when looking from the outside, but not much. im loathe to pot any coach, unless i hear from a trusted source something to the contrary.

fans and media come up with all sorts of things that are wrong or broken with a team...as if the coach is unaware and hasnt recognised them himself. of course fandom make up all sorts of nonsense too that coaches, if they read it, would disregard.

players are different. we can judge them on performance because we see them in action and can judge them accordingly.

as wayne bennett said...if a coach starts listening to the fans..he might as well be sitting on the hill with them.

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 1:03pm

Originally posted by Mr Prospector Mr Prospector wrote:

I'm not going to try and defend it Djebel . I agree with the rolling around screaming antics are annoying but if someone puts their studs down your archilles or stomps on your foot . It Hurts . 

Players in all sports have been trying to con refs forever . The South Americans in the A-league are the worst and they quickly get a reputation so now the refs ignore them a lot of the time . 

If any player from another code goes down the way these blokes do you automatically think “season”. Broken this, rupture that. With these blokes you KNOW they’ll be up and ruining about in 2 minutes like nothing ever happened.

It’s an absolute blight on the game, made worse by the fact that it seems totally acceptable within the games culture, and no one wants to do anything about it.
I find this comment a bit rich coming from a self-confessed AFL tragic - deary me !
Refer ALP Election Promises
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 1:15pm
I dont think this was dive....pretty disgraceful 

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 9:04pm
Watching the Matilda's tonight " slamming sammy Kerr " giving the Chinese a good old fashion touch up, good watching.
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 3:05am
The WCup Draw just completed.

And really a very tuff draw for our lads in Group C.

France, Denmark, Peru and OZ.

A result against Peru is our best hope given that Peru given that our neighbor NZedders played quite admirably against them in the Intercontinental Playoff.

Advancing into the next stage will be a monumental task. New coach and all that comes with this transition.

Toughest group IMO

Germany, Mexico, Sweden and South Korea

Weakest Group (a tie)

Belgium, England, Tunisia and Panama
*(If the POMs don't advance from this group it will be a ROTFL event)
OR
Poland, Senegal, Columbia and Japan
*(any of these 4 teams could advance to the next stage)
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 10:14am
Jeez, at first glance that looked ok to me to but if FIFA rankings are anywhere close to reality it is awful. France 9- Peru 11- Denmark 12- Australia 39.LOL If you saw a horserace like that the comment would be, hopelessly outgraded, better suited at the provincials.

Is it just my imagination or does England get a sweet draw at every World Cup? Not that it does them any good.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 12:29am
I think we got a good draw.

We would of liked Russia from Pot 1 instead of France, but Peru is hopeless outside of South America, as evidenced by their awful effort in New Zealand, and Denmark are good, but unless their second level players improve over the next six months.

I think the tough group is Iceland Croatia, Argentina and Nigeria. Argentina only just fell into the automatic qualifier, Croatia are hot and cold, and Iceland are in their first world cup, although they are one of the in form teams going into 2018. Nigeria would be the only surprise progresser for me from that group!

All in all if the new manager can get the socceroos working as a unit, then we do seem to perform well in tournament situations, so we could defeat Peru, draw against Denmark and hope for the best. I do believe that having our tough game first up is a good thing for us, especially considering France do get better as they move through tournaments.

Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2017 at 3:14am
One month since OZ qualified...

Ange Postecoglou who got the team thru qualification resigned true to his word and will be the head coach of Yokohama F Marinos in the J- League starting in 2018.

The next coach has not been named yet - something that should be done very shortly. Favourite is ex Socceroo Graham Arnold but I also saw that Jurgen Klinsman's name has been thrown about... (please - No!)

Timmy Cahill left Melbourne Victory since he wants to have more playing time to get into the WC squad - still without a club though.

Aaron Mooy scored a double over the weekend for his winning team Huddersfield Town in the EPL which was highly unexpected. 

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Jeez, at first glance that looked ok to me to but if FIFA rankings are anywhere close to reality it is awful. France 9- Peru 11- Denmark 12- Australia 39.LOL If you saw a horserace like that the comment would be, hopelessly outgraded, better suited at the provincials.

Is it just my imagination or does England get a sweet draw at every World Cup? Not that it does them any good.

I am surprised that people are surprised that we don't get out of the group stage. We don't have the cattle.Cry If we did they would be playing for good clubs in the top leagues. It's like asking a bush trainer why he doesn't win G1s.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Hard to get worked up about Australia in WC, whether they are there or not, knowing they aren't going to get out of the group stage. It's like owning the worst horse in the Melbourne Cup

Ouch
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>