Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Clive Palmer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clive Palmer
    Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 2:21am
 Am being brainwashed up here at Palmer's Coolum Resort...formerly the Hyatt Regency Coolum...

the foyer is plastered with photos, caricatures, dedications to the owner...not exactly a photographer's dream model...

as well, when you turn on the TV there are three channels carrying his moniker...and when you go on them you are overwhelmed by endless interviews with the portly Palmer...as well as general propaganda from him...

think Wayne Swan better watch out...the Titanic is well and truly afloat...

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 6:55pm
At least you could enjoy the golf courses or water activities Jujuno!

I woke up in Goulburn this morning and we had two inches of snow. Snow in October! That global warming is reaching full effect now Confused
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 12:45am
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

I woke up in Goulburn this morning and we had two inches of snow. Snow in October! That global warming is reaching full effect now Confused

"that global warming" is dropping snow in Qld as well...frigging freezing winds today after a huge storm yesterday...I'm sitting in my room with a hot water bottle behind my back for warmth...

the other weird thing here is a channel on the resort TV which shows Titanic 24 hours a day...boy is this guy obsessed...it's called the Titanic channel...and all around are banners and posters with "The Blue Line" on them...

undefined
Pazman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 1:09am
Coolum is a health resort for fat people who need to lose weight.

Take a bike ride down to their private beach Jujuno if your fitness is up to it.
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 8:10am
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 9:21am
Originally posted by Browndog Browndog wrote:

undefined

yes...I would believe that pairing...good bedfellows...
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 9:29am
Originally posted by Pazman Pazman wrote:

Coolum is a health resort for fat people who need to lose weight.

Take a bike ride down to their private beach Jujuno if your fitness is up to it.

Health resort????.. not going by the food we've been eating....been coming here since the first week it opened, back in 88...always leave two kilos heavier despite the golf and bike-riding.....which did wonders for my bung knee yesterday...yes we rode over to the private beach....

actually I've never seen so many fit people in my life...certainly not at any racecourse...

waggamick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waggamick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 9:32am
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

No doubt the bunkers are shaped as Clive's double chins hanging from the Clive's head shaped greens and every hole would be a dog leg.
Go to the beach and sit under the Palmer Trees....

The nouveau riche...no class.
The Dude Abides
The Muffin Man View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Muffin Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 9:41am
Originally posted by Browndog Browndog wrote:

LOL
"Well, I will never post again, if the Oz dollar doesnt go below 80 cents within the year 2012." - Occy22
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 3:58pm
If ever George Lucas decided to shoot a remake of the original Star Wars trilogy you;d have to think Clive Palmer would be on the short list for the role of Jabba The Hut.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 4:07pm
Bloke is a real eccentric, but has shown foresight and long term thinking like few others.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2013 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

Bloke is a real eccentric, but has shown foresight and long term thinking like few others.
Spot on Max...making a few eat their hats you could say !
Refer ALP Election Promises
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 6:07pm
How on Earth does this guy have his own political party when  a company of his (ore than one?) went A over, owing workers a fortune Confused
He/they are spending a fortune on nightly prime time adds!
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 6:20pm
Exactly Gay.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 7:50pm
I posted expecting you guys to have the answer, even a 'smart' one would suffice, the last thing I expect is an agreeing query LOL
I'm sure PT & a couple of others will give us the ins & outs in due course Smile
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 10:12pm
Cant wait to hear .   He let his workers down and owes them millions.  Did the shifty shuffle with some of his family off shore.  Adds costing a fortune.  What silly bugga would vote that crooked bastad in ??  
animals before people.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 12:10am
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

I posted expecting you guys to have the answer, even a 'smart' one would suffice, the last thing I expect is an agreeing query LOL
I'm sure PT & a couple of others will give us the ins & outs in due course Smile

In a nutshell Gay, although he is being sued by the liquidator of Queensland Nickel, he has no "proven" personal liability for the losses of the business or to its creditors.

In the meantime, he won a big court case against a former Chinese partner and banked $200 million. He has even been talking about resurrecting QN ... he is mad enough to think that if he did that, he would get enough votes to grab a Senate seat.

He may just be on an ego trip too, trying to spend as much as he can, before the court judgment comes down against him ... if indeed it ever does.

There are people who are so naive and uninformed, that they would know nothing about him other than what they see in the ads, and he WILL get votes - that is the sad state of the country. Ouch
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 7:57am
Much appreciate the concise & easily understood explanation, many thanks Thumbs Up
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 8:13am
Could just mean that Clive, despite relentlessly being attacked by the govt and the media, was right all along, and he is seen as a huge danger to the LNP that had to be removed. Bit like Abbott getting Pauline Hanson locked up when she was consuming them. 

Clive is back baby. 
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 9:48am
He is the fantasist who said he ran 11 seconds for 100 yards when he was 15 LOL

Came up with an original slogan too, "Drain The Swamp "

Not to mention his business practices Ouch

I usually agree with you PT but for the life of me I cannot understand your admiration for this guy.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 10:09am
No admiration Whale, but the truth matters.

You must remember his appearance on ABC 7:30 with Leigh Sales a few years ago where she dismantled him over an ongoing case he had with a Chinese mining company he claimed was ripping him off. The media and LNP politicians piled on and he was made to look ridiculous and dishonest. That is the case Doc referenced. It went on for a number of years until earlier this year when the Chinese company settled with him paying him $250 million cash. Haven't seen any media or politicians reporting this or apologising to him.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 10:23am
Actually he may have been 11 when he ran that 100 yards, can't remember whay he said.

I just get the impression he is an opportunistic, egotistical fantasist, no different from many politicians I guess.

Seems to make a lot of outrageous spending claims but nothing about how he will pay for them.

I am surprised Isaac has not posted about the winning court case in his Walkley award winning thread LOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 11:14am
Dont forget his Titanic. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 11:22am
Palmer is no dummy politically. He had been a very prominent Liberal National figure in Qld and SA dating back to the 70's, has been a huge fundraiser for them, been campaign director for elections and was made a life member of the Qld party. 

Since being an independent he has hated the LNP(mostly Newman) and Labor equally, reflected in his voting record which was pretty close to 50/50, abstaining on votes that personally impacted his businesses. 

He may act the fool(was Trump before Trump) but he is a very serious guy and they should not take him for a fool.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Palmer is no dummy politically. He had been a very prominent Liberal National figure in Qld and SA dating back to the 70's, has been a huge fundraiser for them, been campaign director for elections and was made a life member of the Qld party. 

Since being an independent he has hated the LNP(mostly Newman) and Labor equally, reflected in his voting record which was pretty close to 50/50, abstaining on votes that personally impacted his businesses. 

He may act the fool(was Trump before Trump) but he is a very serious guy and they should not take him for a fool.

Your probably right PT re his History .     But first and Foremost, You must admit Clive is Raving Mad.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 12:50pm
No doubt an eccentric character maxie. 

btw, it has been reported that construction on his Titanic has resumed. Not sure about his dinosaurs though.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 1:29pm

Maverick politician Clive Palmer confirms his favourite dinosaur at his resort has been destroyed by fire … but is too devastated to comment any further

• Clive Palmer's beloved dinosaur, T-Rex Jeff, has been destroyed in a fire
  • The Palmer United leader owns a Coolum resort which is also the world's largest dinosaur park
  • Jeff was an eight metre tall mechanical dinosaur with moving limbs and simulated breathing and growling
  • His "death" was a result of an electric fault which caused a spark
  • Reportedly named after former Queensland deputy premier Jeff Seen
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 1:33pm
Thoughts and prayers Cry
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 6:46pm
Wonder if he's sold off his extensive car collection ?
Refer ALP Election Promises
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 8:20pm
Insured?
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>