Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Clive Palmer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

Insured?
      Insane        = where is Whale when I need him.

Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Palmer is no dummy politically. He had been a very prominent Liberal National figure in Qld and SA dating back to the 70's, has been a huge fundraiser for them, been campaign director for elections and was made a life member of the Qld party. 

Since being an independent he has hated the LNP(mostly Newman) and Labor equally, reflected in his voting record which was pretty close to 50/50, abstaining on votes that personally impacted his businesses. 

He may act the fool(was Trump before Trump) but he is a very serious guy and they should not take him for a fool.

hmmm ... sounds like you might be in the "undecided" column CNNPT.

... it's ok, I understand ... "Where's Billy" IS that unpalatable ...Dead
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 9:23pm

Clive Palmer's United Australia Party is sending voters unsolicited text messages

By technology reporter Ariel Bogle and political reporter Matthew Doran
Updated

An unknown number of Australians received unsolicited text messages from Clive Palmer's United Australia Party on Friday, leaving many questioning how he got their number.

Key points:

• The unsolicited text messages were geographically targeted across Australia
  • The messages are permitted under the Electoral Act, the Australian Electoral Commission says
  • It's prompted calls to remove exemptions to the Privacy Act enjoyed by political parties

Mr Palmer is trying to make a political comeback after his short-lived tenure in Federal Parliament between 2013 and 2016.

His party did not immediately respond to questions about how the SMS contact list was obtained, but a number of those who opened them said they had "no idea" how it had happened.

Tanyia Harrison, who received the message in Melbourne, said it was "completely inappropriate".

Kelly Wong in Adelaide called it a "sneaky and inappropriate use of data", adding she was also unhappy about the lack of transparency around how her number was gathered in the first place.

"I hope this isn't the kind of thing we're going to see more of in the upcoming election campaign," Ms Harrison said.

The texts, which offer no clear way to unsubscribe, were geographically targeted across Australia.

In Victoria, one person was told "Fast trains for Melbourne. 1 hour to CBD from up to 300kms away. Vote 1 United Australia Party, Clive Palmer."

In South Australia, the message read: "Blackouts wreck our lives. We need affordable, reliable power" along with a link to his website.

Despite the online backlash, an Australian Electoral Commission spokesperson said such messages were permitted under the Electoral Act.

Political parties exempt from privacy laws

The incident spotlights the lack of regulation governing how political parties, as well as their contractors, can use the personal information of Australians without clear consent.

Their activities are broadly exempt from the Privacy Act, which Australian Privacy Foundation chair David Vaile said led to an "asymmetric" relationship between parties and the Australian public.

"The parties can buy any commercial database ... they can use anything else they can get their hands on," he said.

The Australian Law Reform Commission recommended the exemption be repealed in 2008. Yet data collection, voter profiling and targeted messages are now synonymous with the modern political campaign.

At least one text recipient was on the Do Not Call register, but an Australian Communications and Media Authority spokesperson said non-commercial SMS, such as those about political matters, were generally allowed under the Do Not Call Register Act and the Spam Act.

Dr Vaile said the exemption from the Privacy Act enjoyed by political parties was never justified and should be removed.

He said the refusal to change the exemption set "a really bad example" for the country when it came to privacy.

Unsolicited text messages also caused a stir on the day of the 2016 federal election, when SMS messages, purportedly sent by Medicare, claimed Malcolm Turnbull planned to privatise the system.

Palmer's comeback attempt not without controversy

Mr Palmer relaunched his Palmer United Party (PUP) as the United Australia Party (UAP), copying the name of a party that existed before 1945 and installed Joseph Lyons and Robert Menzies as prime ministers.

The businessman managed to recruit one parliamentary member to his party, welcoming former One Nation senator Brian Burston to the fold after his spectacular falling out with Pauline Hanson.

His return to the political sphere has come with controversy, as those hurt by the closure of his Townsville nickel refinery in 2016 criticised him for splashing cash on billboards and advertising campaigns when they remain out of pocket.

Mr Palmer has labelled attempts by liquidators to pursue him and others for millions of dollars after the refinery collapse as a "witch-hunt", arguing he owes nothing.

His political advertising has also raised the ire of US rock band Twisted Sister, who claimed he ripped off their song for television commercials — another claim Mr Palmer denies.

The UAP did not respond to further request for comment by deadline.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 7:54am
Clive doing a Trump/Russia/Cambridge Analytica targeting operation? Wink

I am disappointed I didn't get one. Many people I talk to on twitter did. Some were bemused, a couple of lawyers were upset they got them, but said he did nothing wrong.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 11:13pm
he pops up on youtube before you can watch whatever you want. So tired of being bombarded. I even got an sms on my phone, from him. 

If I mention his name, my daughter immediately says: "That's the nutcase who destroyed Coolum."

I think that sums him up...

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 6:00pm
reductio ad absurdum
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 6:10pm
Do you think Clive might be on a wink, wink, nudge, nudge down the track ? Heard a few suggesting that.
Refer ALP Election Promises
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 7:42pm
He has a mining tenement adjacent to the proposed Adani mine.

I think he has indicated he will be trying to get a licence to mine there.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 7:47pm
I posted the story in another thread last week. Here it is again.

Clive Palmer seeks approval for 'monster mine' next door to Adani

By national environment, technology and science reporter Michael Slezak

Updated 26 Apr 2018, 3:16pm

Clive Palmer has sought federal environmental approval for a huge greenfield coal mine in central Queensland, which documents suggest could produce 33 per cent more coal than Adani's controversial and delayed Carmichael mine

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 7:52pm
I think that would be more than reasonable all things considered.
Refer ALP Election Promises
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 8:11pm
Of course deferment of royalties should be for a minimum of 20 years.......
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 11:53am
Paid his wife $135 million through a shelf company while ripping of workers, nice Ouch
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12