Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Best Callers Worst Callers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote She's Apples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Callers Worst Callers
    Posted: 20 Oct 2007 at 1:49am
Here's one for you all as we get into the nitty-gritty of the best racing of the season, the best and worst callers you've heard in recent times. There's nothing better than listening to a great caller take you through a big race.

Here's my list (in order) of the best of the best (apologies for the heavy pro-Melbourne slant):

Favourites
1. John Russell 2 Greg Miles 3 Bill Collins
4 Alan Thomas 5 Darren McAulay 6 Ian Craig (when he was at his best, not now) 7 Rick McIntosh 8 John Tapp 9 David Fowler 10 Hilton Donaldson

Not my favourites
1. Brian Markovic 2 Adam Crettenden 3 Mark Shean 4 Terry McAuliffe 5 Col Hodges 6 Ian Craig (now) 7 Josh Fleming 8 (All New Zealand callers) 9 (All American callers!) and 10 while he's not a gallopers commentator but the guy who does Horsham dogs, I think his name is Tom Shillington? He gets a not so honourable mention at the tail of the field.
Oh me, oh my.
hoop View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2007 at 2:14am
David Raphael has got lengths on all of them, calls the race as it is, no bias, no rubbish and doesnt think he is the be all and end all.

Hilton Donaldson, Bryan Martin and Rick McIntosh in a ding dong for the worst gong. (all far too opinionated.)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2007 at 2:26am
Greg Miles and david raphael while he was in honkers.

can i add a bit to this, favourite mounting yard tipsters......jenny chapman in hk just over larry olsen.
She's Apples View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote She's Apples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2007 at 2:35am
Bris, you're right about David Raphael but I'd still have him just behind Bill Collins in about 4th in my list.
I'll have to think about the mounting yard late-mailers list and how about we add hosts/presenters to the challenge?
The Insider View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Insider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2007 at 3:01am
worst; alan thomas. total fool and past his best. has a dumb opinion on everything from barrier attendants to gear changes and riding tactics.
Tajrossi View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tajrossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2007 at 3:14am

Best: Craig, Collins, Tapp, Styring

Worst: Martin, Russell

Jolls View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2007 at 5:22am
Best: The guy over in NZ that calls a Class 1 like its a Group 1. Gets me excited. And obviously Miles (has been getting a few names wrong lately tho)
Worst: Thomas, Donaldson, Crettenden
Season 2012 = 102 Years since Collingwood has beaten Carlton in a Grand Final.
The Insider View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Insider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2007 at 6:23am
Let's change the thread. I know this has been done before but I love it. Lets put up our favourite Jack Styring quote. Mine is "baring his molars to the breeze"
south coast View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote south coast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2007 at 6:33am
David Rapheal champion
Mary View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2007 at 7:02am
Originally posted by She's Apples She's Apples wrote:

Here's one for you all as we get into the nitty-gritty of the best racing of the season, the best and worst callers you've heard in recent times. There's nothing better than listening to a great caller take you through a big race.

Here's my list (in order) of the best of the best (apologies for the heavy pro-Melbourne slant):

Favourites
1. John Russell 2 Greg Miles 3 Bill Collins
4 Alan Thomas 5 Darren McAulay 6 Ian Craig (when he was at his best, not now) 7 Rick McIntosh 8 John Tapp 9 David Fowler 10 Hilton Donaldson

Not my favourites
1. Brian Markovic 2 Adam Crettenden 3 Mark Shean 4 Terry McAuliffe 5 Col Hodges 6 Ian Craig (now) 7 Josh Fleming 8 (All New Zealand callers) 9 (All American callers!) and 10 while he's not a gallopers commentator but the guy who does Horsham dogs, I think his name is Tom Shillington? He gets a not so honourable mention at the tail of the field.
Oh me, oh my.

Cant understand how you put Terry McAuliffe amongst the worst - i find him excellent at racecalling and even more brilliant at track and field ie commonwealth games and Bay Shefield
The Waiter View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Waiter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2007 at 7:32am

Bill Collins
Tony Lee
Darren McAulay
Milton Pettit

Ciao
sam14 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sam14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2007 at 7:56am
u wanna listen to a race caller that gets excited tune into SA Globe Derby trots of a saturday night. Listen to jim jaques i think his name is. Gets excited overa maiden. Every race is the inter dom.
Little Bassie Murphy knows how to ride winners. Back him all day everyday.   D.K Weir=WINNERS=MONEY.      'And Knockout races away with the cup'
tooth View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2007 at 8:40am
best by far is darren tyquin, calls the trots in NZ- shame he is not in Australia callin races
homerj View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote homerj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2007 at 8:42am
Faves are Greg Miles, Darren McAullay (WA) and David Raphael was great in HK (never forget the Silent Witness calls).
Not faves: Hilton, Mark Shean
CurlyBill View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CurlyBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2007 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by sam14 sam14 wrote:

u wanna listen to a race caller that gets excited tune into SA Globe Derby trots of a saturday night. Listen to jim jaques i think his name is. Gets excited overa maiden. Every race is the inter dom.

He's sweet loves his adelaide trots that bloke.

Alan thomas the worst by a mile gets so many photos wrong it's not funny.

The best Raphael , ian craig and dan milecki.

Hilton Donaldson is arrogant , anyone noticed he cuts the other bloke thomas off all the time during the preview?

Mccauley is getting passed it , has lost his nerve and stays out of every photo because he has no confidence and got to many wrong.
They call me Curly Bill Brocuis
grizzricho View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grizzricho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2007 at 10:59am

Fair dinkum mate if you think josh fleming is amongst the worst race callers in australia you are in all sorts. Hes a young bloke with a bit to learn maybe but no where near the worst.

For what its worth wayne wilson is nearer the worst than what josh will ever be.

Cheers.
regal_roller View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regal_roller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2007 at 6:34pm
Greg Miles is the best at calling the last 200m....he always has a classic line about the winner, one that gets played in montages.highlight reels forever
bondi View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bondi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2007 at 7:16pm

It seems looking at this thread that people think someone cant call because they dont like the sound of their voice.

Some names nominated as supposedly good callers make regular mistakes but concessions seem to be granted because they sound "better".Surely a callers job is to identify where a horse is in running ,they are under immense scrutiny with tv coverage nowadays and quite frankly we are lucky to have s'ome of the best in the world.
I wonder what some of you 'know it alls' do for a living and how good you are at your job and if you would like to be publicly bagged if you made a mistake.I know i wouldnt like it.
How anyone can remember over 100 names a day just from colours and then have to get photos right and give you one liners is to me amazing.
Chill out baggers,grow up.
Mayor View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mayor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2007 at 7:20pm
Was it Greg Miles who I heard call the Redoute's Choice/Testa Rossa Guineas the other day? That was a good call.

Best callers I've heard are Bill Collins and Greg Miles. I liked Johnny Tapp in the big races but easy to tire of him. Especially liked his call of Double Century in the Sydney Cup.

I heard the ABC's Gerard Whateley call the races last week, it was quite novel, and didn't do a bad job. Needs more practice though...

Bondi, I'd say that an important tool for a racecaller is his voice, it has to add the drama and excitement. People don't like Delta Goodrem because she can remember her lyrics. Wink

Edited by Mayor - 22 Oct 2007 at 7:22pm
Mayor
bondi View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bondi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2007 at 7:55pm
Im sure it is to some extent however,to ridicule someone as  a bad caller who does his job week in week out ,is a joke to me.Bob Dylan doesnt sound like Frank Sinatra,does that mean he cant sing?
Damien Oliver and Darren Beadman are accepted as our best jockeys,do all the others retire because they arent as good yet they ride winners?
I play golf off 2 and i dont abuse anyone who is a c grader because they cant play as well as me.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2007 at 8:37pm

in some ways you contradict yourself there.

my point is, if hilton donaldson does this week in week out, why HASNT he improved?

comparing that to you playing golf every now and then is irrellevant, if you played every day and didnt improve you would be asking why also.

all a matter of opinion.

there are actually callers i simply cannot listen to.

south coast View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote south coast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2007 at 8:46pm
Hilton Donaldson sounds like rain man.
bondi View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bondi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2007 at 9:07pm

Why is your opinion or shes apples opinion of who they think can call any better than someone else"s.Who makes you the the hanging judge.Shes apples has included some callers as his best who regularly make mistakes ,i can forgive that personally but how can a caller who calls it as they see it and doesnt make mistakes be considered as a 'poor caller"

I have found in most walks of life the ones that bag people are usually the ones with the least ability.
She's Apples View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote She's Apples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2007 at 9:47pm
Bondi all it is, is exactly what you've alluded to, a game of opinions...from punting to buying horses to racetracks to raceallers ....and that's what this thread is all about.
Having said that, I might take you up on the issue of what makes a good caller...sound of voice, delivery and style (exciting or otherwise) is paramount for mine, the most accurate of callers (i.e. some in North America) can quite often be the most boring and totally put you off watching or listening to the races.
Fair play to those who are unimpressed by some callers making a hash of close finishes or those who think callers who choose to stay out of a tight one as being "past it".
One thing is certain, we are very lucky in Oz to have the standard of racecallers we have, it is a tough gig to be sure and our best are the best in the world.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2007 at 12:52am
Wayne Wilson was my favourite caller when I first started going to the races, but since that spring on 7 he has fallen apart.

Alan Thomas is not a bad caller, but he is not in the top 10 either, but he just goes on and on and on about something that punters can quite clearly see for themselves. I remember when Ice Chariot won the derby from a fantastic ride from Byrne and Thomas went on and on about how he ducked and weaved and almost forgot to give the dividends. If it wasn't for the great mail from Larry Olsen I would watch the Brisbane races with the sound off.

Hilton Donaldson has to be the luckiest SOB to ever get behind a race microphone. However he is allowed to call the races in Adelaide is beyond all comprehension.

A caller has to add something to the races he or she is describing. You have to be technically correct, have a sweet sounding voice and offer a bit of excitement and variety at a measured rythym, in your call. 

As She's Apples said those American callers might call the horses properly but if I had to listen to someone like that all the time I would slash my wrists. I suppose I could just turn the sound down.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Lucian View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2007 at 1:33am
Best : Greg miles/ darren macauley

Worst: Hilton donaldson/ alan thomas/ian craig

Greg miles' call of the 99 Guineas between redoutes/testa rossa was amazing. Redoutes drives, lunges and wins !!!!!

unreal year for sires also, with 1st)redoutes, 2nd) testa rossa 3rd)commands and 5th) pins all making successful careers at stud
tooth View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2007 at 1:38am
927 have gotta get rid of Greg Miles
travo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote travo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2007 at 3:35am
Terry Bailey (terrible), Mark Shean (shocker), Ian Craig (time to retire), but the gong goes to Hilton Donaldson ( absolute idiot) just call the race Hilton, not what you have backed and why it didn't win. goose
Lucian View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2007 at 3:37am
LOL
waggamick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waggamick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2007 at 3:42am
For hype and excitement Jim Jacques (Adelaide Trots) wins hands down...I watcheda 4 horse 3yo Trotters race on Sky one night...the field was strung out over 200 metres...the odds on Favourite led into the straight by 30 metres and he still made it exciting.

For accuracy, agood Aussie nasal twang and a nice collection of Australianisms during a call I like Alan Hull...does Riverina Tab meetings.
The Dude Abides
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>