Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

RIP Vo Rogue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIP Vo Rogue
    Posted: 09 May 2012 at 9:58am
The Mighty Vo Rogue has passed away Cry The Winner of races from 1200m to 2000m will be sadly missed by not only the punter but also the spectator.

RIP   Vo  Rogue

Edited by Moderator - 09 May 2012 at 10:41am
He's Not Heavy,It's My Brother
questions View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 10:28am
there are some horses that are out and out champions and then there are some horses that really grab the audience and show what a magnificant fighting animal the horse can be.

vo rogue was more the second than the first. he made races interesting from the moment the barriers fly open to the very last metre and i wish there were more horses like him.
"it's not gambling if you're absolutely sure you're gonna win" Barney Stinson
Gently View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gently Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 10:35am
At least get his name right....Vo Rogue!
Quezacotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quezacotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 12:05pm
Didn't he win races over less than 1200m ..?

SPRINTER SACRE - "SIMPLY THE BEST"
Dulcify View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dulcify Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 12:20pm
He won a 1010m race 1st up at Doomben as a 6YO. He was a very special horse and always added extra excitement factor in any race he contested. Also added the "battler" factor to this races with Vic Rail and Cyril Small involved. RIP Vo!
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 12:23pm
What a horse he was. Was never the same horse in Sydney as he was elsewhere, but the way in which he went about his races really captured the imagination of the adoring public.

RIP old fella.
Quezacotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quezacotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 12:43pm
I was strapping a horse one day at Mooney Valley so I got to see him win there once and had the pleasure of patting him in the tie up stalls at Rosehill when seeing him there one time, also when strapping a horse...both times I was more happy about seeing Vo there than my horse...lol

He was a small scrubby horse I tell you, long hairded goat with no shoes on ever...I loved him though, he was very quiet and just walked around like a baby backstage.

VSP. View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VSP. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 1:20pm
What a star this horse was - he made Racing really exciting as he always added interest. He and his trainer Vic Rail were cerainly entertaining. I loved watching him race and he always gave a great sight regardles of distance. A truly special horse.
Pazman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 1:36pm
Vo Rogue is an out and out great of Australian racing. Great that he was so well looked after on retirement.

http://www.racingandsports.tv/v/?2H

Above is a link to a video of his G1 wins.
Barefootbushman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barefootbushman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 1:53pm
Farewell to a champ. One of the true icons of Australian racing. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 1:55pm
One of the toughest, most courageous, and best horses I've ever seen.

It is rare to see horses like Vo Rogue even get close these days, let alone dominate the best around year after year. It takes so much out of horses to race at Group 1 level, let alone testing themselves and others running gut busters every time to get the job done.

A measure of a true champion is not just what you win but who you beat, Vo Rogue raced in one of the strongest eras in Australian Racing history and at his best was nigh on unbeatable.

The fact he was unfashionably bred and trained and ridden by battlers made his story even more romantic and interesting.

Vo Rogue was absolute champion whom I will never forget, may he rest in peace.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 2:07pm
Now here is a horse who had it all.

He had high cruising speed, acceleration and a will to win. As Bill Collins once famously said during a call "he might not be a champion but he is not far short of it."

His second Australian cup is the best race I have ever called. If you fancy yourself a caller and want a race to practice on this is it. Vo holding off Better Loosen Up and Super with Sydeston, The Phantom and Stylish century fading is a great site. Oh the great racing back then.

The famous race where Colin Hayes sent Dowie out with Vo to pester him in front while his stablemate sat smoking his pipe is a classic race.

Not a champ because of his fear of wet conditions and his poor record in Sydney, but his talent was not far short of champion status. 

I hope he finds a dry racing surface in the great track i the sky. He will give his opponents something to chase. 
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
ianb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 3:40pm
My all time favourite horse.  When I was a young fella of 17 they released a bottle of port to commemorate him winning his first million, I got dad to buy it for me, then he won his 2nd million and I got dad to buy that one for me as well, they had all of his race records on the bottle and it would have been a grate collectors item, but as it happens I left home at 18 at went to live in Geelong and study at Marcus Oldham, got a little home sick and asked a college mate to come in for a drink, we knocked off both bottles that night and it is with fond memories that I can say Vo did to us what he did to other good horses and left us feeling sick and sorry. I did get to see him race in the Australian cup that Better Lossen Up won, brilliant in defeat
here he is... craig View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote here he is... craig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 10:53pm

Outstanding horse. The first horse that I really connected with as a kid.

There is no horse in Australia that would even attempt to do what he did. Check out his Autumn of 88 at WFA. He won the William Reid, Orr, Blamey, St George (at progressive distances, before the programming was ruined), then went back to 1400 to win the Futurity. The only bad part was that he then got run down by Dandy Andy a week later in the GF.

RIP one of the greats.
princerubiton View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princerubiton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 10:55pm
Quezacotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quezacotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 10:58pm
Surely naming a classic race ( preferably a WFA one ) in his honour is something Vic racing should look at ... ?

Or create a new one...?

hey Vic racing...theres no WFA mile races in the spring....what are you waiting for..?
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 11:10pm
Really fond memories of this bloke. Lucky enough to see him on the first big race meeting I attended, the day of Zeditave's Blue Diamond. He won the St George (I think he beat Cossack Warrior from memory) that day by panels but what I remember most is the reaction of the crowd.

He was at such prohibitive odds that as he came down the straight, rather than the cheering and urging you normally get, it seemed the entire grandstand simply sat and applauded. It was a reaction I didn't witness again in the flesh until the great mare in the Patinack last year. People delighted, not for the punt, just to watch a great horse inevitably win.

RIP old fella
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 11:11pm
A gutsy,game & great Queenslander!

His pedigree is well worth a look!

R.I.P "Vo" ....
Current Stable - Soul Star & Adivinar + Lady Vega
Go Flash Go View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Flash Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 11:52pm
A great horse, could make Better Loosen Up and Super Impose look second rate on his day. Just when you thought he'd done way too much and had to fold and the others were making their runs, he'd find another gear, skip away again and the race was over.

A true legend of the turf, R.I.P. Old Vo.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 12:48am
What Legend. Great front runner - one of the best. Never gave up. Was gutsy all the way. A punters friend as well as the spectator's too.

R.I.P

Cheers,
Jamal.
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 12:54am
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

Now here is a horse who had it all.

He had high cruising speed, acceleration and a will to win. As Bill Collins once famously said during a call "he might not be a champion but he is not far short of it."

His second Australian cup is the best race I have ever called. If you fancy yourself a caller and want a race to practice on this is it. Vo holding off Better Loosen Up and Super with Sydeston, The Phantom and Stylish century fading is a great site. Oh the great racing back then.

The famous race where Colin Hayes sent Dowie out with Vo to pester him in front while his stablemate sat smoking his pipe is a classic race

Not a champ because of his fear of wet conditions and his poor record in Sydney, but his talent was not far short of champion status. 

I hope he finds a dry racing surface in the great track i the sky. He will give his opponents something to chase. 

Was the stablemate Cossack Warrior????

Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 12:57am

Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
Scarface View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 1:05am
So much fight

love a horse that does it at both ends.

Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 1:06am
The thing with Vo Rogue was that when he was on front, he would set a genuine clip, not dawdle - and he would come away with the win. That take's guts, great horse. Will me missed.

Cheers,
Jamal.
Quezacotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quezacotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 1:42am
Gai would never be able to control the tempo of any race Vo was in...no sit n sprint for MJ with Vo skating along setting a " proper " pace and providing a true test of stamina...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 12:33am

Vo Rogue was an absolute freak of nature. He was one of the greats but could have been the greatest imo..... if you knew what he had to go though you would surely agree ...

Vic was a fantastic fella...... had a few drinks with him and he was as genuine as they come ....
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 7:53pm
Finally voted into the Australian Racing Hall of FameStar
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 8:07pm
Thats great news . Clap He deserved it.  What an iron horse he was.
animals before people.
Cheeky View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheeky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 9:56am
I remember an interview with Vic after I think an Australian Cup win and it went something like this. Before saddling Vo up I checked on his price and couldn’t believe the odds so I put a "big one on", after saddling the horse i Recheck the odds and he drifted and I put on another "big one”, and just before going into the grandstand I checked his odds again and he had drifted again so I put on another "big one". Vic was very excited about Vo winning but was gobsmacked at the price. If anybody could find the clip it is a great watch.

Good Horse Good Jockey Good Bet Pittsburgh Phil
Cheeky View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheeky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 10:23am
Vic Rail was interviewed live and all he could say was: "I've had a Big One each way at 8-1 and you wouldn't wanna know, I've walked back out and they're taking 14s." How very Vic. Then he said: "I reckon that's the biggest thrill I've got out of all his wins."
Good Horse Good Jockey Good Bet Pittsburgh Phil
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>