Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

So You Think $66,000 !!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieOi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So You Think $66,000 !!!!!
    Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 11:59am
Are they DREAMING!!!!!??????

Coolmore Australia Fees for 2012

Stallion 2012 Fee 2011 Fee

Choisir $27,500 ($33,000)
Duke Of Marmalade $22,000 ($22,000)
Dylan Thomas $13,750 ($19,800)
Encosta de Lago $82,500 ($110,000)
Excellent Art $8,800 ($11,000)
Fastnet Rock $220,000 ($132,000)
Haradasun $16,500 ($22,000)
Henrythenavigator $22,000 ($27,500)
High Chaparral $77,000 ($99,000)
Lookin At Lucky $22,000 ($33,000)
Musir $16,500 (NEW)
Oratorio $11,000 ($11,000)
So You Think $66,000 (NEW)
Spinning World $5,500 ($6,600)
Uncle Mo $24,200 (NEW)
Zoffany $11,000 (NEW)

All fees include GST

Edited by Gay3 - 15 Feb 2017 at 2:29pm
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Greenwood-Lake/604236969624888
Ash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 12:18pm
What price did you expect? In comparison to the way most most first season sires are priced at I think it's probably about right. Manhattan Rain's first season was 44 from memory, so SYT at 66 is reasonable.
AussieOi View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieOi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 12:29pm
Lol, 44k would have been more reasonable. Hes gone from a stallion everyone raved about to a dud on his past few performances. Not worthy of the 66k at all.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 12:54pm
Hang on, how has he become a dud?? He's run credibly overseas, picked up Group 1's and put in some really sound efforts in some of the world's best races with questionable tactics from trainer and jockeys.

He is a spectacular looker, and you cannot take away his achievements here in Australia prior to his departure. The horse would have emulated Kingston Town and won three consequtive Cox Plate's had he stayed here, nothing is more sure than that. Might have even won 4 straight if he ket going into this spring.

I think the horse will be absolutely inundated at 66K, just imagine how popular his first crop will be.

I generally don't like first season sires standing at more than 30K, but this is a very special horse and the market will support him strongly at that figure.
Fastnetrock View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fastnetrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 1:05pm
He will be the first 1 booked out so fee is right IMO
BSB Raiderman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSB Raiderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 1:10pm
I'd rather pay $66k for SYT than $11k for Oratorio
Novocastrian Racing, Non Profit Newcastle Syndicator
AussieOi View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieOi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 1:56pm
Seriously? The races where he should have won, but didnt, wether it was bad race tatics or just he couldnt do it, puts a dampner on him more than his highlight wins.

And yes he MAY have won a 3rd cox plate, but he didnt, so you cant take that into the equasion

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 2:29pm
It doesn't put a dampner at all, well certainly not to southern hemisphere breeders.

The only thing to my mind that puts a dampner commercially is his 3rd placing in the Melbourne Cup and that dampner is only because there are a lot of idiots out there who cannot accept the versatility of high class horses and want to label everything.

This horse has just about everything you look for in a stallion. He was an outstanding 3yo, was effective at a mile, had a great turn of foot, proved himself at WFA at 3,4,5 and is just about the best looking horse you will ever see. 

He has a presence about him that you only see very rarely. Whether he makes a champion stallion or not is another question but I can assure you he will be super popular, certainly the most popular first season sire available in Australasia in 2012. 
vontastic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vontastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 3:17pm
Interesting to see what Coolmore Ireland set his 2013 fee at
Quezacotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quezacotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 3:25pm
What horse's from oz have performed at his level internationally ever...?

I don't think it's too high on his performances, he's been terribly placed by O'Brien, Dubai was pathetic placement, as was the breeders, he's a turf horse ffs, his breeding on mums side is wonderful, 60k is about right, I'd send a mare to him, possibly a mare with stamina actually.
SPRINTER SACRE - "SIMPLY THE BEST"
AussieOi View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieOi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by vontastic vontastic wrote:

Interesting to see what Coolmore Ireland set his 2013 fee at

I bet its half what he is now. They are capitalising on Australias *love* for him, not on his achievements.
AussieOi View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieOi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Quezacotl Quezacotl wrote:

I don't think it's too high on his performances, he's been terribly placed by O'Brien, Dubai was pathetic placement, as was the breeders, he's a turf horse ffs, his breeding on mums side is wonderful, 60k is about right, I'd send a mare to him, possibly a mare with stamina actually.

So because hes from Oz (well NZ really isnt he?) they get to ask more? If he was a european horse, there is no way hed be above 44k
Slim Pickens View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slim Pickens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by Quezacotl Quezacotl wrote:

Phar Lap, Sailor's Guide, Balmerino and Strawberry Road, and it's debatable if any of them performed with more consistency at the highest level than SYT.  Best thing u have ever seen beaten in an arc, course record time, not a horse passed him in the run and made ground on the winner.
Who says i'm dumb?
Run For Fun View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 4:19pm
Eight Group 1 wins, three overseas.

Darley staff will surely get knocked over in the rush for his services.
It's hard to soar with eagles...

Cheers
Gee Gee View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gee Gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 4:21pm
Duke of Marmalade & Dylan Thomas would have won those cox plates
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 4:34pm
One for the regulars here.

I was once told that a successful stallion almost always has a dam that had plenty of ancestors who had been able to produce stallions.

Having a look at SYT's dam there doesn't seem to be many stallions coming from it. Is that a concern for his stud success? In other words will it stop him from becoming a top-line stallion and relegate him to a run-of-the-mill stallion?
Slim Pickens View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slim Pickens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Gee Gee Gee Gee wrote:

Duke of Marmalade & Dylan Thomas would have won those cox plates

and they proably would have beaten KT, Dulcify, Sunline and M&P as well, so your point is??????
Who says i'm dumb?
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by kavg kavg wrote:

One for the regulars here.

I was once told that a successful stallion almost always has a dam that had plenty of ancestors who had been able to produce stallions.

Having a look at SYT's dam there doesn't seem to be many stallions coming from it. Is that a concern for his stud success? In other words will it stop him from becoming a top-line stallion and relegate him to a run-of-the-mill stallion?

So You Thinks family has been in Australasia since the mid 1850s, would it have had many high class racing males retire to stud ?

I will have a look.

reductio ad absurdum
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 5:00pm
Doesn't look like it Djebel, but that is part of my question. Looking at his tail female it is quite heavily biased to producing female progeny (although Triassic is 50:50). The only stallion I could find of any note was Turf Ruler but I'm not sure how successful he was-studbook shows he had 7 stakeswinners from 207 live foals in australia.
Perhaps it is a female line like the Denise's Joy family that has produced a number of stakeswinners with the majority being female and only a few stallions with average results.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 5:02pm
Turf Ruler sired 7 stakes winner, one group 2 winner.
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 5:09pm
If you analyse the progeny of the direct female family, going back 6 generations, you'll find that they've produced about 80% females up until Triassic.

Cheers
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by kavg kavg wrote:

Doesn't look like it Djebel, but that is part of my question. Looking at his tail female it is quite heavily biased to producing female progeny (although Triassic is 50:50). The only stallion I could find of any note was Turf Ruler but I'm not sure how successful he was-studbook shows he had 7 stakeswinners from 207 live foals in australia.
Perhaps it is a female line like the Denise's Joy family that has produced a number of stakeswinners with the majority being female and only a few stallions with average results.

Thorn Park is from the Denise's Joy family

Champion sire of NZ 2011-12
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by Run For Fun Run For Fun wrote:

Eight Group 1 wins, three overseas.

Darley staff will surely get knocked over in the rush for his services.

What tha??
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 5:17pm
...er, Coolmore.  Embarrassed

Cheers
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 5:34pm
That's about what I saw RFF. Does this predominance of the tail female producing females signify a negative to SYT's chances of being a success? I don't know either way just thought i'd put it out there to see what others think.

Soothsayer-Thorn Park is doing well but hasn't become a High chaparral or Fastnet Rock although it is early and he is showing some positive signs. I do like Thorn Park as a racehorse, a specimen and as a stallion if I had a suitable mare. When I say average, I don't mean ordinary, I mean 'not superb'-such as warranting a $66,000 service fee. (Thorn Park's fee is $22000NZ-a bargain!)
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 6:28pm
Brings up the old argument.  SYT for $66k or High Chap for $77k.
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 6:31pm
That probably sums it up very succinctly Lordy. 
Quezacotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quezacotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 7:22pm
We really are being harsh on SYT here I reckon, he is a "world class galloper".. who could have performed so much better here, continued winning and would have way less less dud runs if he had of been placed by Bart here, he would be unbeaten but for his Melbourne Cup I reckon...he is a serious talent, don't forget that, I love him and think his talent will be passed on somewhere somehow, talent like that doesn't just disappear into the ether.

Tewll me, how much more is his service now that he went to Europe, as opposed to if he stayed here and won another 2 cox plates and multiple other WFA races like the BMW etc...?

Has Europe increased his fee or reduced it..I say it's ruined it my self.
SPRINTER SACRE - "SIMPLY THE BEST"
Biggles View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 7:38pm
What's happened to Starspangledbanner?
Flying High
MichaelM View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MichaelM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by Biggles Biggles wrote:

What's happened to Starspangledbanner?

Fertility issues I believe.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>