Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Black Caviar Looked Awful?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Phantom View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phantom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 9:04pm
Not sure Noccy. Only thing I can think of is Paz must think a 4 year old hacked my computer, cause the same kid has obvioulsy struck his computer already, because that may explain some of his comments?? Wink
The More You Put On, The More You Get Back
Pazman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 9:07pm
Please give your thoughts on the race, Phantom Wink
Phantom View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phantom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 9:18pm
Ok just for you Paz.....Wasn't near her peak fitness, popped out 3 wide, ridden like the best horse, won with a margin and did I say She won and we all got better than bank interest!!
Pazman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 9:27pm
Good. I suggest you stick to that line of input Phantom.
Phantom View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phantom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 9:32pm
Thanks Paz but when you start writing sensible posts with facts and something you are willing to back up then perhaps I'll listen. I thought my first post which just stated facts was acceptable around here?? Silly me....
Maldivian View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maldivian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 9:56pm
Was interesting to see how quickly she pulled up.

50m pass the post she was nearly last.
MannyG View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MannyG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 12:46am
How can people compare sectional times? The race was over at the 300m! She ran .6 of a second slower in her last 200m than Outlandish Lad. She was eased down to a canter over the last bit and Outlandish Lad was ridden right out to the finishing line... If you can't make sense of that then you should find a new hobby.
Blind Faith View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blind Faith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 1:06am
Yes it is that simple.
Wortel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wortel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 2:38am
Racing a horse that should be spelling.

Only if she's not leaving Australia. I've felt this is the case for a while and I'm not changing my opinion now.
Quezacotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quezacotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 2:54am
Nothing quite like a wolly winter coat for pulling off a plunge on a rather fit race horse...

One of my old bosess was a genuis at doing this with old stayers.
SPRINTER SACRE - "SIMPLY THE BEST"
Pazman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 4:10am
Go back to the interview with Nolen after the jump out before the Sangster. His looked lost for words and body language was negative, said something like "The trackclockers said she has come back better than ever'". I think this start of the decline.

Fair Embrace View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fair Embrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 8:18am
I'm not against people having an opinion, but I do prefer that people have an educated opinion. I'm well aware than when I'm passionate about something I do tend to rant, but my question is - What more does she have to do? She won didn't she? More to the point she did it easily!
I will ask another question - What more does she have to do?
I consider myself so fortunate to be around to see a horse like BC and I'm getting a little sick of people trying to poke holes in her performances. She is simply breathtaking.
I find it amusing that people often complain that the quality of racing is not as good as years gone by but then those same people want to pot our superstars.
At the moment I believe we have some of the strongest racing in the world and a couple of the best horses, but god forbid they win a race with a hairy coat or that they sweat up or they have a blow after the race............ 
Grinnersawinner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grinnersawinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 8:58am
Originally posted by Wortel Wortel wrote:

Racing a horse that should be spelling.

Only if she's not leaving Australia. I've felt this is the case for a while and I'm not changing my opinion now.
Quite right. Has been a stupid, non-sensical preparation this calendar year.
Quezacotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quezacotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 11:12am
Did anyone catch the radio interview on SSR with Luke Nolen where they asked him. " how does he keep focused and not let all the hysteria get into his mind before the race " well I had to laugh when he said it was'nt hard as he's used to it, but in the jockeys room all the jockeys were stirring him up by reminding him of Mike Smiths ride on Zenyata and much of a dill he would look he if stuffed up BC ..ROFL...!!!

He was not impressed having that in his mind he said...
well_rated View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote well_rated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Blind Faith Blind Faith wrote:

Originally posted by well_rated well_rated wrote:

BC looked a picture on Lightning day and Blind Freddie could see she wasn't right in the coat yesterday but that's by far the least impressive of her runs when resuming. A couple of lengths or more off what we know she can do even when not 100% fit. I'm sure most racing fans hope it was just an off day for her. The sectionals tell a tale:

Black Caviar      (1200m)  35.15   23.82   12.49  1:10.65
Outlandish Lad (1100m)   34.51   23.40   12.00  1:04.45

Were you there both days?

No but I trust my eyes and judgement. If you think she presented as well as she did on Lightning day what can I say? You think she did. I think that's not even close to reality.

You might need to get your eyes checked then.

I was there, like I have been for most of her runs. 

You cannot tell on TV for at least 2 reasons.
The white balance on TV. The mounting yard was in the shade.
HD vs SD, I think Sky were using HD cameras on the day, TVN only ever use SD cameras 
rubiton View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubiton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 1:02pm
http://www.barnesphotography.com.au/mop280412/7Black-Caviar153.jpg
If the link above to the photo of her winning works she looked pretty good there.

And this is before the race - dunno looks ok too I reckon
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blind Faith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 2:23pm

BC looked a picture on Lightning day and Blind Freddie could see she wasn't right in the coat yesterday but that's by far the least impressive of her runs when resuming. A couple of lengths or more off what we know she can do even when not 100% fit. I'm sure most racing fans hope it was just an off day for her. The sectionals tell a tale:

Black Caviar      (1200m)  35.15   23.82   12.49  1:10.65
Outlandish Lad (1100m)   34.51   23.40   12.00  1:04.45

Were you there both days?

No but I trust my eyes and judgement. If you think she presented as well as she did on Lightning day what can I say? You think she did. I think that's not even close to reality.

You might need to get your eyes checked then.

I was there, like I have been for most of her runs. 

You cannot tell on TV for at least 2 reasons.
The white balance on TV. The mounting yard was in the shade.
HD vs SD, I think Sky were using HD cameras on the day, TVN only ever use SD cameras 

Takes the cake for biggest load of rubbish I've read on this forum.
Pazman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 2:39pm
King's Rose is in HK. Interesting to see how the stable handles her trip.
Quezacotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quezacotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 2:39pm
Well for one, SKY footage is TVN footage, they use the same footage, there is not TVN cameras and SKY cameras, both use the same footage.
Relampago View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Relampago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Quezacotl Quezacotl wrote:

Well for one, SKY footage is TVN footage, they use the same footage, there is not TVN cameras and SKY cameras, both use the same footage.
Is that right???

I though TVN sold their footage from Melb And Syd to Sky for broadcast, but sky used there own team for other venues.

I don't think TVN have a presence in SA or WA, if they show a race from those states, they purchase the vision from Sky....

Being different companies, the only way they can use the same footage, is if they but it from each other, OR purchase it from a 3rd party
Daintree Duke Fan Club President!!! RIP!!!

Melbourne Autumn Tipping Champion 2009!
Melbourne Spring Tipping Champion 2009!
rubiton View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubiton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 8:47pm
Well Ch 7 and Sky had different footage as apparently Ch 7 got the same view we did from the start on course (no overlong helicopter shot).

But the  PHOTOS show she looked fine just sweated a bit like a horse not quite fit on a warm day (others sweated up too during/after races) regardless what some thought they saw on tv
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blind Faith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 9:31pm
If she "looked fine" then her performance was worse than awful. Just out of interest, what precisely do you look at when you assess a horse's condition?
Quezacotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quezacotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by Relampago Relampago wrote:

Originally posted by Quezacotl Quezacotl wrote:

Is that right???

I though TVN sold their footage from Melb And Syd to Sky for broadcast, but sky used there own team for other venues.

I don't think TVN have a presence in SA or WA, if they show a race from those states, they purchase the vision from Sky....

Being different companies, the only way they can use the same footage, is if they but it from each other, OR purchase it from a 3rd party

they both use exactly the same footage for all or any venues, TVN won't use any of the new high profile imagery though like the sweeping crane camera or overheads, but they both use each others vision trust me.
rubiton View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubiton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 10:42pm

If she "looked fine" then her performance was worse than awful. Just out of interest, what precisely do you look at when you assess a horse's condition?
She looked fine in the coat - had a winter shine to it and she was bright (revved up a little when the jockey got on).  Behaved as she has in the past after the race.  But perhaps a little big and clearly not at her top fitness wise - ie resuming from a break.

The only thing she didnt do was sprint flat out from the turn gapping them then and she picked up once she changed leading legs and was eased right up the last 30m (straight after the shadow when you watch the replay).  Would expect a fitter horse next time in the Goodwood.

tauto View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tauto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 12:27am
She did what she had to!!!

Her big day is 6 weeks away.l agree she looked average and pulled up very quickly but she is obviously only 80% right!!
Reckon we will see a marked improvement in Goodwood. 
TAUTO/WINFREUX
Pazman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 12:32am
What weight will she get in the Goodwood? 55.5kg?

Hope we get a field of 20 and she draws wide on a wet track. (never drawn double figures in her life), ie apart from that stumble, BC must be the luckiest horse in terms of racing luck. Should be a great race with a full field.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blind Faith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 12:32am
Hope you're right Tauto. Nothing we'd like to see more than BC smack some toffee noses at Ascot while pistol Pete chain smokes under his top 'at.
rubiton View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubiton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 11:40am
Kinda confirms Pazman isnt in the same world - the Goodwood is a set weight and penalty these days so you can work out what weight every horse will get. 

Guess we don't have to wait too long to see how many do actually nominate for the race.

And as for pulling up quickly quite a few have dne the same - D Oliver won a feature a year o two back and came back in about 3 seconds miles ahead of the other runners.  No reason for it just did since he still had to wait for the others.  Looking at the replay she was only cantering by the time she went past the post anyway so no surprise not to be running on as long as the others who were still doing their best to the post trying to fight out the minors.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blind Faith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 11:43am
What weight will she get?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 11:46am
Pazman has me LOLLOL out loud...he has so many on here by the testicles....gives a little squeeze to hear them scream then laughs his head off...LOLLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>