Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Black Caviar Looked Awful?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Pazman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black Caviar Looked Awful?
    Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 2:23am
Jockey pulled the whip and was certainly not easing down. Looked stressed in the coat.

I will be laying her big time if she goes O/S with the Aussie Markets. Looked 3 lengths worse today and they often loose that when travelling.

Edited by Gay3 - 02 Oct 2018 at 5:05pm
VVV View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VVV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 2:26am
Funnily enough, a mate and I said the same thing after the race. Looked bad in coat and pulled up extremely quickly. What price Moody to pull the pin this prep??
whatashotbyseve View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whatashotbyseve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 2:29am
Did you mean awe-inspiring?

Moody had said pre-race she was going to look dull in the coat. I doubt he will pull the pin. 
melbsteve View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melbsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 2:29am
You'd nearly pull the pin just so Hilton Donaldson doesn't get another crack at calling her again!
The Polar Bear Waltz View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Polar Bear Waltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 2:45am
Going into winter in Aus, but you are closer to her than me Paz, so you would know u great fisherman.
You can lay her with me for anything you like, Rexxy Punt Wink
Ask for odds LOL
Our strawberries seem to go best with manure on them.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 2:46am
Dont know about her coat but she was having a little blow and looked a little tucked up behind after the race. But she may have just been having it easy at home and needed thr gallop.
MannyG View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MannyG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 9:54am
Moody said in an interview a few days before the race that her coat did look a bit hairy but he said that was just because of the weather.

Nolen pulls the whip most times she races, just gives her a slap to keep her mind on the job.

Please, get on the exchange and start laying her. What price you offering? It will be a quick way to the soup kitchen for you (as if you're not already there).
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 11:04am
Looked like she really needed the hit out. Goodwood will provide a better guide.
magic_idol View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magic_idol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 11:18am
she just looked abit fat ...Had a flat spot down the straight & blew up over the back after the race..... all to be expected this early into the prep & still blew em away!!!!!!! when she peaks watch out World!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Wink
Happy Fit Horses Win Races :-)
norisk View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norisk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 11:30am
Wink
Originally posted by melbsteve melbsteve wrote:

You'd nearly pull the pin just so Hilton Donaldson doesn't get another crack at calling her again!

lol, he's a shocker aint he

Re BC's condition, I had a share in a horse that looked awful most of her racing career, underweight, dull coat etc & she won 3 at Mooney Valley, 1 at Sandown, half a dozen around the Prov's & only put in 3 or 4 poor runs over her career.

Had another one that looked a million bucks but couldn't gallop to save himself, so looks are not always everything (& is often what I tell myself 1st thing in the morningWink)
James View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 11:32am
Originally posted by norisk norisk wrote:

Wink
Originally posted by melbsteve melbsteve wrote:

lol, he's a shocker aint he

Re BC's condition, I had a share in a horse that looked awful most of her racing career, underweight, dull coat etc & she won 3 at Mooney Valley, 1 at Sandown, half a dozen around the Prov's & only put in 3 or 4 poor runs over her career.

Had another one that looked a million bucks but couldn't gallop to save himself, so looks are not always everything (& is often what I tell myself 1st thing in the morningWink)

Is that when you're looking in the mirror or at the Mrs LOL 
Just joking mate 
norisk View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norisk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 12:13pm
day like today, bothDead Wink
The Muffin Man View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Muffin Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 12:23pm
Paz you're a crack up, you must love coming on to TBV and casting your line to wait for bites. LOL
"Well, I will never post again, if the Oz dollar doesnt go below 80 cents within the year 2012." - Occy22
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 12:47pm

Paz, you're either a masochist or a fisherman...

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
jimbob04 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbob04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 12:49pm
well she still made a meal of them easy

Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 12:50pm
Never saw her close enough to see her coat but I know she has looked much better in winning most of her races. She was at her top to do that but she isn't fit yet and maybe had an off day.

Not bad for unfit and an off day!
Sunline...simply supreme
rubiton View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubiton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 12:54pm
Were any of the on course and able to see her close up - really close up???  I was and did and the only thing was she had that field covered and just didnt quite quicken after the home turn as say the Lightning  but thats just fitness once she changed legs at the end just before easing up in the last bit she was striding better.  Needed the run and should be all the better for it when she goes to the Goodwood in a fortnight.
rubiton View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubiton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 12:57pm
Note I was responding to the two comments at the start of teh thread!
Bel Esprit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bel Esprit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 1:03pm
Was there and thought the same thing.Didn't look as impressive as what she has been in the past,especially given the field was so weak but defiantly needed the run and i'd expect a much more impressive win if she backs up here in a fornite in the Goodwood.
Occy22 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Occy22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 1:17pm
Doesnt need to have a shiney coat yet.
The Cox Plate is still 5 months away.
Blind Faith View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blind Faith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 1:17pm
Obviously she wasn't fully wound up but there has to be more to it than that. 
Fremz View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fremz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 1:30pm
I agree, she wone easily in terms of lengths but not as easily as she usually makes it look.

Nolen gave her a bit of a shake up, and she looked awful in the coat and had a decent blow after the race. I think if that was a stronger field she MAY have been in a bit of trouble today. Obviously Moody knows she only needed to be probably 70% to beat that lot and she did and comfortably as well.

Still 6 weeks until her grand final, so plenty of time for improvement. Definately still think she'll spank them over there.
for those about to punt, we salute you...
Nocturnal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nocturnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 1:33pm
I have to agree Paz she looked plain , her win was not as breathtaking as her last few , Moody to me has picked up 250 k for connections instead of a Tuesday jump out at Caulfield
The only problem with backing winners ? You never have enough on....
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 1:47pm
More Joyous looks awful in the coat also. I think you guys are looking too much at aesthetics.
Appman View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Appman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 1:50pm
A long way off fit, just a machine, has about 6-8 lengths yet to improve in fitness and she will.
Fit horses win more races.
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 1:53pm
I didn't think she looked comfortable, I know she won well, but just didn't eat up the ground with as much ease as we normally see.
Fair Embrace View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fair Embrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 1:54pm
OMG!!!!! A horse with a wooly coat coming into winter in Victoria, Surely not????? And WTF!!!!! A trainer who has chosen not to clip so said horse yet, how irresponsible of him!!!!!! Really?????
When did she come back in from her let up??? No doubt she wasn't at the top of her game but she still won, didn't she????? For the life of me I can't understand why everyone wants to poke holes in her accomplishments?????
God forbid a horse has a blow after a race, you'd hate to know they've done a bit of work. Rather than find fault wouldn't it make more sense to think of all the improvement she has left in her???
Or if you want to follow Paz's point of view - how good is she really when she can be off in the coat and unfit and fat and still win???? I think Paz secretly adores Pete and BC and he just wants to see what innuendo we draw from his insane commentsClap
well_rated View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote well_rated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 1:57pm
Having seen her at about 16 of her 20 starts (inc. yesterday), I thought he looked as good if not better that she did in the Lightning Stakes.
Coat was a little longer, but its coming into winter and has been cold in Melbourne.

She was fine, remember that she has a overseas trip to come and Moody doesn't want to cook her before the trip.
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 2:00pm

Fair Embrace, they are all just observations, and opinions, wouldn't be a forum without them. and all your points are good ones and true of many horses first start back.

Blind Faith View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blind Faith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 2:18pm
BC looked a picture on Lightning day and Blind Freddie could see she wasn't right in the coat yesterday but that's by far the least impressive of her runs when resuming. A couple of lengths or more off what we know she can do even when not 100% fit. I'm sure most racing fans hope it was just an off day for her. The sectionals tell a tale:

Black Caviar      (1200m)  35.15   23.82   12.49  1:10.65
Outlandish Lad (1100m)   34.51   23.40   12.00  1:04.45
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>