Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Breeding Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

New Zealand

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sequi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Zealand
    Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 10:21pm
I am seriously considering (convinced?) sending our best mare 69+to NZ this season. The AUD dollar is so strong, the agistment and service fees so so so much cheaper than Australia.

Since I have started to investigate the NZ studs I have been stunned by the incredible customer service and willingness to discuss options.

By far and away the New Zealand stud people have been so much more helpful and interested. The response mainly for Oz studs this past three years of my involvement has been one of arrogance, in my experience Vinery, Patinack and Raheen are the exceptions.

About $3800 (AUD) to get the mare there, easily made up for in the first year's service. The mare is a daughter of a Vic Oaks winner and lends herself to the lovely staying lines in NZ.

Sequi View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sequi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 10:23pm
Sorry don't know how the 69+ got there :(
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 10:33pm
Much better value you can go to thorn park or savabeel.for what will be less than a lot of unproven Aussie stallions.

for 2k you can even go to a g1 producing stallion.
Sequi View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sequi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 10:56pm
They are both up for an increase this year but still cheaper as you say.

Shocking, for example, is incredible value at around $9k AUD.

Savabeel is my pick, just hope he doesn't go too high.

Bachelor Duke, Darci Brahma, Keeper, Showcasing, Don Eduardo etc etc seem such great value.

GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2012 at 7:01am
Sequi, would you leave her there for her term?
Sequi View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sequi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2012 at 7:55am
 Two years, there are significant GST advantages for leaving the mare there for 2 years, ie you pay none :)
access View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote access Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2012 at 8:13am
agree bradbury park a young up and coming farm
NeilM View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2012 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by Sequi Sequi wrote:

I am seriously considering (convinced?) sending our best mare 69+to NZ this season. The AUD dollar is so strong, the agistment and service fees so so so much cheaper than Australia.

Since I have started to investigate the NZ studs I have been stunned by the incredible customer service and willingness to discuss options.

By far and away the New Zealand stud people have been so much more helpful and interested. The response mainly for Oz studs this past three years of my involvement has been one of arrogance, in my experience Vinery, Patinack and Raheen are the exceptions.

About $3800 (AUD) to get the mare there, easily made up for in the first year's service. The mare is a daughter of a Vic Oaks winner and lends herself to the lovely staying lines in NZ.

The NZ studs have uniformly great customer service. A request to visit will see you met at the stud every time by if not the studmaster then very senior staff. The fees for scans and vet work are very reasonable too. The only problem is too much choice. I would suggest you do some research on sale prices of yearlings v service fees ratio, pick up a cheap air fare over the ditch, grab a rental car in Auckland airport and do a stud tour to the Waikato

M.horse View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2012 at 8:56pm
We just sent our newly purchased yearling in Melbourne to NZ for training.
Sequi View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sequi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2012 at 10:48pm
Thanks Neil, sound advice and a nice little holiday too :)
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 2:42pm

NZTR ANNOUNCES CHANGES TO HANDICAPPING POLICY

24 May 2018, 2:32 p.m.

Changes to the handicap rating bands will be introduced by New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing for the 2018-19 racing season.

In addition, from 1 June 2018 most races will have a re-rating ceiling for the first five placegetters.

The changes follow NZTR’s annual handicap review meeting, which was held this month.

No winner will be given more than 12 rating points, with a maximum of five points for finishing from second to fifth.

The maximum re-rating will not apply to Listed or Group races nor to races that are restricted by age.  Jumps races and maiden flat races will also be excluded from the re-rating ceiling, with the policy of re-rating maiden flat winners at 62 or higher maintained.

The introduction of a maximum re-rating is to provide a clearer indication of the likely impact of running horses out of their grade, particularly in Open handicaps. It is felt that the changes will encourage greater participation, while still providing sufficient discretion for the Handicapper.

The changes in the rating bands, which will take effect on 1 August 2018, are designed to help horses move through the grades more quickly, which should lead to a boost in Open class numbers.

Rating 65 races will be retained but Rating 75 races will be replaced by Rating 72 races and Rating 85 races will be replaced by Rating 82 races.

This should produce a greater spread of weights in the “new” Open grade (R83+), at Feature meetings, with horses rated at 97 carrying 60kg and horses rated above that carrying another 0.5kg per rating point. Under the current template, horses rated at 99 are allotted 60kg in the open races at Feature meetings.

However, from 1 August the connections of the top-weighted horses will also have the option of using an apprentice rider, with apprentice allowances to be claimable in all Open races - excluding Group and Listed races - on Feature days and below. At present, allowances are usually only available in one Open race per Feature meeting.

A minor alteration will also be made to the balloting conditions for set weight and weight-for-age Group and Listed races.

The timeframe for Group II placegetters and Group III and Listed winners to have priority entry has been reduced from 18 months to 12 months. The same timeframe will apply to horses who were placed in a Group I two-year-old race.

The full handicapping policy that will apply from 1 August 2018 can be viewed via this link.

Martin Burns

GM Racing & Equine Welfare

reductio ad absurdum
 Post Reply Post Reply