Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Domesday

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Domesday
    Posted: 03 May 2008 at 9:06pm
Have we posted much on this fellow?

Now that he's with darley and coming down my way would appreciate any thoughts on his performances, pedigree, stallion potential etc.
It's hard to soar with eagles...

Cheers
Apollo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apollo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 6:31am
Domesday was a nice 2yo, won his first two and was just about the run of the race in Stratum's Golden Slipper. Didn't win again but almost without exception was competitive in his races.

Descends tail female from Best In Show through Monroe, so there is a lot to like about his pedigree. However his dam In The Past is a 3/4 to Xaar, who has been very disappointing at stud here, and she has struggled to get another good horse, although Darley did pay $1.2m for her Redoute's Choice colt. 

I personally like Red Ransom sons, but they are unproven so I guess we take our chances. With Domesday, Charge Forward, Face Value and Noble Red all at stud now he will get his chance to be a "sire of sires".

Domesday covered 83 mares in '06 for 61 live foals and only 48 mares last season (EI affected I presume). He has 4 weanlings on offer at Magic Millions and just the one in Melbourne. Stood both seasons for $11k and it will be interesting to see what he will stand for this season.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 3:16am
Going very nicely and seems good value this year. I wonder if he's the next cheapie that goes on to be a superstar.

Already a Group 1 and Group 3 placegetter and two other stakes performers from his first crop, and from rather moderate mares served at Darley Cootamundra.

Nice style of horse and from a ripper family, I'm sending one to him and believe he is a great asset for Victoria.
Dahlia View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dahlia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 3:25am
I like Domesday, very impressed with him at last year's stallion parade.  Smart move getting in, I hear he is booked out?
Cityboy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cityboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2010 at 6:24pm
He will be the next cheapie to go on to be a superstar.

He is this years value stallion
BAZZ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAZZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2010 at 8:12pm
i ilke domesday but i think this years value stallion is danzero. proven good sire and cheap compared to others with equivalent record
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2010 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by BAZZ BAZZ wrote:

i ilke domesday but i think this years value stallion is danzero. proven good sire and cheap compared to others with equivalent record

More expensive than domesday and did he even have any 2yo stakes performers this season.

At this stage of his career i think domesday is out performing lonhro, early days though i know.

Oh and i am not saying danzero isnt extremely good value, just i dont think he's as good a value as domesday.
Bottom Line View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bottom Line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by soothsayer soothsayer wrote:

Going very nicely and seems good value this year. I wonder if he's the next cheapie that goes on to be a superstar.

Already a Group 1 and Group 3 placegetter and two other stakes performers from his first crop, and from rather moderate mares served at Darley Cootamundra.

Nice style of horse and from a ripper family, I'm sending one to him and believe he is a great asset for Victoria.
And are you like others told to send a mare to another stallion of theirs to get this service?
I will agree that he is an asset to Victoria. It remains to be seen if it's great or not though.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 12:04am
Originally posted by Bottom Line Bottom Line wrote:

Originally posted by soothsayer soothsayer wrote:

And are you like others told to send a mare to another stallion of theirs to get this service?
I will agree that he is an asset to Victoria. It remains to be seen if it's great or not though.

Nope, we booked a mare back in January and got a call back after the fees were released. We're not sending any others to their stallions this year, it was a very straight forward deal.

vontastic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vontastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 3:52am
if there is a negative with Domesday is  he won't have many runners in next few seasons served only 48 mares in second season for 32 live foals followed by 71  in third year.
Can't fault him at the moment has 6 city class horses  from only  17 runners.
Definately well priced this year.
progeny test View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progeny test Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 8:41am
The $1500 weanling (Nextanix) comes 2nd in the listed Country cup, so now a blacktype horse.

DOMESDAY is tracking just behind Encosta De Lago and Fastnet Rock on his
stallion figures. And did it the hard way !

Congratulations to all those that had faith in him.
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 9:03am
My domesday colt is from the same family they both tail to anjudy through royal progeny so im hoping there are some big wins in store for nextanix :)
maxamill View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxamill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 4:40am
funny you mention domesday and encosta  in the same  , i hear there is a encosta out of the same domes mum  ,  now that may need some watching  trained buy moody ,
Heroic View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heroic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 7:18pm
Australian stallions ranked by 2013/14 Stakes performed juveniles

Stallion
Stakes performing 2YOs in 2013/14
Snitzel
Fastnet Rock
DOMESDAY
I Am Invincible
More Than Ready
Exceed And Excel
Not A Single Doubt
Denman
Street Cry
Sebring
Choisir
Northern Meteor

Domesday has covered 499 mares in his four seasons at Northwood Park including 43 Darley mares, so he has tremendous numbers coming through and the mare quality has improved each year.
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 2:17am
Gai has a handy one in Mr boomsday
progeny test View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progeny test Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 11:16am
Don't know which way to swing on this horse.
I have a foal due in November so, I'll have to find out the hard way.
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by progeny test progeny test wrote:

Don't know which way to swing on this horse.
I have a foal due in November so, I'll have to find out the hard way.

I'm biased but I like him a lot!

Just hoping ours shows more improvement when he tackles preparation number two in about a month's time. (Aboutogobang) ...
Current Stable - Soul Star & Adivinar + Lady Vega
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 12:24am
I am surprised he is so high. I may have to rethink about him.
Ash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by whitt0 whitt0 wrote:

I am surprised he is so high. I may have to rethink about him.

Don't worry you'll get in for a fair discount.
Daraabah View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daraabah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 10:10am
Not listed on Darley's stallion roster this year. Has he relocated?
MichaelM View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MichaelM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Daraabah Daraabah wrote:

Not listed on Darley's stallion roster this year. Has he relocated?

Only covered 46 mares last year so probably moved on.
Daraabah View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daraabah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 4:06pm
Anyone know where to?
lulu View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 7:13pm
Just another Darley flop.
You're either Einstein or Frankenstein in this game.
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 7:28pm
Hopefully Qld

Just another flop ? He has had two g1 winners, more than most will get,and has around 3.3% SW to runners, not awesome but above the average

He sits 38 on sires list darleys top priced stallion sits on 37.
Flight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Flight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 7:36pm
11 stakeswinners - not too shabby.  Not too dissimilar to Street Boss yet they are still shuttling him no doubt as Street Cry is no longer.

However Domesday is another whose fee doubled on the back of something, something only to be brought back to reality within a couple of years.  That in itself indicates "failure" as opposed to keeping the fee steady.

“The probability of a certain set of circumstances coming together in a meaningful (or tragic) way is so low that it simply cannot be considered mere coincidence. ”
― V.C. King
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 7:48pm
Has done ok however Flight is correct.

They doubled his fee on the back of two Gp1 winners, the forgettable Dr Doom and Pressday, which came back to bite them.
Daraabah View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Daraabah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 7:51pm
Not only did he have his fee rise on the back of good results but at the same time his mares were actively approved/disapproved by Darley mgmt who showed their ignorance by destroying his career from that foal crop on. I hold Domesday up as the best example I have seen in recent years of stud mismanagement.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 7:56pm
Wow, didn't know that.
lulu View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 8:13pm
Yes I must admit my flop comment was directed more at Darley management of him and others. I was knocked back one year when he was white hot. 2 years later they were offering free noms to another if you booked to Domesday.
I am pretty much over Darley and have been for some time. They do not look after breeders interests!
Denman was much the same story and now they have sacked Sepoy as far as their own mares are concerned.

You're either Einstein or Frankenstein in this game.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by lulu lulu wrote:

Yes I must admit my flop comment was directed more at Darley management of him and others.... I was knocked back one year when he was white hot. 2 years later they were offering free noms to another if you booked to Domesday.  I am pretty much over Darley and have been for some time. They do not look after breeders interests!  Denman was much the same story and now they have sacked Sepoy as far as their own mares are concerned.  

The highlighted text being pretty much what I said elsewhere.  They're not on my shopping list this year.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>