Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Domesday

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 11:47pm
As a broodmare sire in Aus he has 3 starters. 2 winners 1 stakes winner

Sitting at no.22
Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 11:57pm
58.3% W/R is very poor.

3.6% SW/R is ok.

bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 4:07am
Compare his stats to written Tycoon who stands for 10 times his service fee

Especially when it gets to group winners 2.4% vs domesdays 2.3%

Or Artie 1.8%

Maybe star witness 1.4%

So you think 0.9%

Magnus 1.7%

He compares favourably considering the service fees they have stood at.
Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 7:27am
Originally posted by bradjm bradjm wrote:

Compare his stats to written Tycoon who stands for 10 times his service fee

Especially when it gets to group winners 2.4% vs domesdays 2.3%

Or Artie 1.8%

Maybe star witness 1.4%

So you think 0.9%

Magnus 1.7%

He compares favourably considering the service fees they have stood at.

Agree with that - maybe the low W/R % is due to the mares he received?

Either way - when they do get to the track & have ability they do well.

Daraabah View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daraabah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 9:47am

As a broodmare sire in Aus he has 3 starters. 2 winners 1 stakes winner

Sitting at no.22
\

Trapeze Artist is an example of the Snitzel-Red Ransom cross in Chance Bye, Arbeitsam, Payroll etc
Domesday has great prospects as a broodmare sire IMHO.
Lopartega View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lopartega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 12:30pm
I think if Domesday served 20+ mares by Al Maher each breeding season he would become a top sire statistically. IMO this would become a very successful nick
Julie Bee View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Julie Bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 2:49pm
Mare was serviced by Domesday last week. Now fingers crossed she gets a positive + sign.
He is doing so well at the moment and I am hoping the run of winners continues.

Mumtaz View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mumtaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 3:33pm
Best of luck Julie B.

I think Domesday is great value (given my very limited budget).  I have a mare due to foal to him this year and I have 2 mares going to Aquis for cover by him next week.  I could not be happier with his recent performance, not least as a broodmare sire.  I have also found Aquis good to deal with.

There are so many stallions standing for so much more than cannot compete with his recent stats.
Julie Bee View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Julie Bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 5:45pm
Mumtaz I completely agree with you.
As a breeder who has to pay agistment costs, I am always on the look out for a commercial stallion in QLD at a reasonable price.

I went and saw Domesday and Benfica a few months after they had arrived at Aquis and I was impressed by both of these Darley selloffs (so to speak)
I also agree that Aquis are great to deal with and so was Sun Stud for that matter.

But Domesday has that wow factor about him when you see him in the flesh and he is also a proven sire of stakes winners.
And VALUE FOR MONEY! That is the most important thing for me as I only have one mare and work 2 jobs just to keep her happy.
Mumtaz View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mumtaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 8:48pm
I saw Domesday twice last year, on the Open Day and a later visit.  He struck me as the most impressive stallion in carriage etc, but that could have included his maturity compared to the off the track baby stallions.  Benfica has impressed me enough that I bought a mare in foal to him who should foal in the next week or so.

I had also intended to send a mare to Sweet Orange this year, but he is no longer available for stud duties.  Aquis was incredibly good with alternative options, but as the mare crosses poorly with Benfica, is not particularly commercial and I am not going to over capitalise with her (and I have too many costs this year) she is going to Sun Stud to visit Jabali who I have a lifetime nomination deal for.  I am sending several mares to him, and I have used Sun Stud/Eliza Park for a few years and they have also been good which was a major reason why I bought into Jabali.  I also loved his physique and 2- 3 YO racing performance. But he is unproven and will be a lucky stallion if he performs as well as Domesday.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 11:29am
The female line has a liking for Nijinsky and Sir Ivor but interesting to see The Minstrel as the Grandsire of Naturalist dam of Royal Symphony.  The Minstrel has Flaming Page as his grandam and Nijinsky has her as his dam.

Trapeze Artist has him as the sire of the dam and Snitzel is a son of Redoute's who from the same female line but one which is very nice as nothing too close and of course there is Nijinsky (same female line but an even earlier crossing at Torpenhow 1910).  They have tried a different cross for the line using Bletchingly's Relic blood through Canny Lad although I think it was probably the Danzig/Bletchingly/Lunchtime cross that gave us Redoute's Choice as such a prepotent sire.

As an aside nice to know Phar Lap's family has another G1 winner to add to the list.
Mumtaz View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mumtaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 12:02pm
I wish furious had not put the patterns up.

The mare I had decided not to put to Domesday as she is not commercial, although most of her family is, is Soweto.  She is by Umatilla from a Heart of Darkness mare (then Bluebird, then Godswalk, tracing to Deck the Halls).  As such she has a nice The Minstrel/Nijinsky cross and 3x Sir Ivor.

I knew that the Dancing Show input from Umatilla would return well with Domeday's dam line but Furious's text makes Domesday/Soweto look like a great cross.  But I really cannot afford to send a third mare to Domesday.  Also as she is a small, refined mare, there is a good chance the resulting foal would be similarly framed (or worse, big body on small legs) and not sell well enough/be that easy to lease to recover the bridge too far cost of going to Domesday again.  
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 12:27pm
There is more than pedigrees in breeding Mumtaz.  You are fully aware of what your mare needs physically and nothing can work all the time.  We get lots of races where the winner and the last are both by the same sire and the one who finished last has the better pedigree.

Just observing that in these pedigrees the genes they wanted managed to come across.  You can also get all the wrong ones and hence full syblings looking and racing nothing like each other.  The better the pedigree the more chances you have of a good mix but nothing is set in stone.

Unfortunately I can only talk from the pedigree base as that is where I was trained.
Mumtaz View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mumtaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 8:46pm
Thanks Furious.

The trap with breeding is that the pedigree patterns can be so fascinating that you can accidentally downplay the practicalities of finances, location and in particular, potential conformation/temperament issues.  

With Domesday, the two mares I am sending don't have the same patterns I like (but Goldmine and True Nicks are enthusiastic) but they are well sized, well conformed mares that should have very attractive offspring to him and workable temperaments.  Reality however will do its own thing regardless of my plans.

furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 10:52am
Good luck.
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 11:27am
The other trap is believing a certain build type doesn't suit a particular mare

Do you know what build type her dam was or siblings

It's a genetic lottery I've seen full brothers and sisters with totally different build types on numerous occassions

And I mean totally different.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 5:49pm
You only have to look at Black Caviar's first foal.  She is fine and small - not at all like her dam.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by furious furious wrote:

You only have to look at Black Caviar's first foal.  She is fine and small - not at all like her dam.<div id="UMS_TOOLTIP" style=": ; cursor: pointer; : 2147483647; : transparent; top: -100000px; left: -100000px;">

First foals are often on the smaller side regardless of genetics
to the victor
Mumtaz View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mumtaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 7:51pm
Good point, Bradjm.

However one of the reasons why I took her was that she descends from Deck the Halls who was Father Christmas's best galloper.  

I had bought a share in Father Xmas late in his career, knowing he was a small, refined horse with a high energy temperament (some said he threw bad tempered horses which I don't think was so, but they were certainly more work than some other stallions).  I had limited success with him as they were hard to lease, but he threw some very promising types.  Soweto looks like a smaller, female version of him and the videos of her son Soweto Moon that I have seen, appeared to show a very similar style of horse.  She has a very kind temperament but there is some fire compared to some of the other mares in the paddock.

So certainly Domesday could throw a magnificent type to her, but there is a realistic chance of a less than ideal foal and I would prefer to put her to a scopier type and then assess the foal.  Problem is I am sure Domesdaty will be too dear in the future, but practically I would prefer to keep the costs down this year as I am sending out too many mares this year.  I would give her the year off, but she was not covered the last two years and is getting older and I am scared she will be hard to get in foal if I leave her this year.  At least if she does not get in foal this year I will either cull her to a good home or put her into the back paddock for an honourable retirement. 
Paul Hogan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 10:17pm
No wonder he got the flick from Darley.

A battler at best.
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 10:40pm
True, this season he's battling away at 45 on the general sires list
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Paul Hogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by Aurelius Aurelius wrote:

Is aurelius still around

What happened did he get a Winner.

You were right about this Stallion Aurelius absolutely going backwards.
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 9:53pm
That's not a stallion....
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 7:52pm
javascript:;
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Paul Hogan Paul Hogan wrote:

He stole my line!
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 6:30pm
Group one quinella

acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 7:04pm
Only got beaten into 2nd in a photo for Noonan too.
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 11:44pm

Group one quinella

The reason one will always be a loser. Rather be right than successful.

Domesday Failure.
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 6:34am
Originally posted by Paul Hogan Paul Hogan wrote:

Group one quinella

The reason one will always be a loser. Rather be right than successful.

Domesday Failure.

I just like to celebrate a stallions achievements , 4 group one winners is a great effort from a stallion that stands for 8k

Sebring only has four, star witness one , so as you can see they are hard to come by.

It's better than bagging a stallion because he isn't fashionable at a horse traders event.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 9:44am
The horse is not aware BJ so you cant hurt his feelings.

Here is a theory for you to ponder. A lot of people are superstitious.
I wonder if they had changed his name upon entering stud if things might have been different.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>