Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

R.I.P Kingston Rule

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R.I.P Kingston Rule
    Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 10:10pm
Rest In Peace mate. Good stayer you were.

Cheers,
Jamal.
jimbob04 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbob04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 10:15pm
not good news rip

Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 10:21pm
Here is his 1990 Melbourne Cup win.

Cheers,
Jamal.
OneNightOnly View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OneNightOnly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 11:42pm
Bless the big chestnut off to the great paddock in the sky for a well deserved permanent spell. I reckon a few good ones will still hit the ground from his daughters.  Thumbs Up
Quezacotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quezacotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 1:33am
Better than Rogan Josh or Subzero was he Jamal..???

Tongue
SPRINTER SACRE - "SIMPLY THE BEST"
Blaster View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 8:36am
RIP Kingston Rule,The fastest of all Melbourne Cup Winners. (Aged 26)  Cry
He's Not Heavy,It's My Brother
questions View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 9:31am
i remember watching that race as a 12yr old. wathcing him move through the field coming up to the turn and wishing i had backed that horse. 

fantastic win and i dont think they will beat his time the way they run the race these days and prepare the track 
"it's not gambling if you're absolutely sure you're gonna win" Barney Stinson
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 9:49am
Trained to the minute ,when the other horse challenged Kingston Rule near the finish line its supreme fitness kicked in and it was puling away at the winning post.Sensational conditioning  by The Master.
Go Flash Go View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Flash Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 11:51am
Remember him winning the Moonee Valley Cup to qualify for the Melbourne Cup, the other runners couldn't hold a candle to him that day, both in looks and performance. Lovely horse.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 11:59am
Won the Moonee Valley Cup, went round for a canter in the Hotham and won the Cup all in 10 days.

Good horse.

I remember being stupendously excited when he first started racing because of his pedigree.

Was he the only offspring of Secretariat to run in Australia ?

RIP

reductio ad absurdum
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 5:13pm
i loved that horse when he was racing.  thought if he was even half the horse his old man was, he would romp in with the cup, and he did.
saw him a couple of times at stud and what a lovely horse,,,,so sad when i heard the news.
RIP fella.  you were a good horse.
animals before people.
RED HUNTER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 9:03pm
 Owner: Kingston Park Stud
    Breeder: Kingston Park Stud
State Bred: KY
  Winnings: 18 Starts: 4 - 4 - 2, A$1,549,125

Melbourne Cup (AUS-G1), MVRC Landragin Wines Moonee Valley Cup (AUS-G2), VATC Tommy Woodcock H, VATC H A Currie H
2nd:VATC T. S. Carlyon Cup (AUS-G2),VRC The Dalgety (AUS-G2), VATC Coongy G3, VATC Chatham H.
3rd: Blamey Stakes (AUS-G2), St. George Stakes (AUS-G2)

Entered Stud in 1991, Standing at Ealing Park, Victoria, Stud Fee $3300 (inc gst)
Died at Ealing Park on 3 Dec 2011.
Kingston Rule holds the Melbourne Cup race record with a time of 3:16:3
mouse View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 11:03pm
looked after kingy in his 2nd and 3rd season at stud,very nice horse to deal with,gentelman!
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by mouse mouse wrote:

looked after kingy in his 2nd and 3rd season at stud,very nice horse to deal with,gentelman!

thats what i thought.  its nice you said that.  we went to the stud to see him, and i really wanted to be able to have a nice piccie with him,  because i was always a huge fan of his,   and when he was brought out and stood up i was able to  stand with him and hold him,  and he was as you say,,a gentleman.
hell , it might have been you brought him out for us !!  i have a lovely photo of him and his handler,  are you a little thin bloke,   well ,  spose you are,  mouse and all,,,!!!! LOL !!
he was such a handsome horse !
and couldnt he run !!
animals before people.
RED HUNTER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2011 at 12:54am
His pic is at www.pedigreequery.com, but for some reason I can't snare it.

Enter his name,click "horse search" and catch the photo box ,after KR's name and the letter i (in a circle)
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 10:51pm
Was just looking at the race results around the country for Melb Cup day and noticed a horse called Mishnah won a 1300m race at Rockhampton.

He is from the last crop of Kingston Rule & probably the last of his progeny to grace a racetrack.

Nice touch that he won on Melb Cup day, 29 years after his dad ran 3:16.3 to win the Cup for Bart & Darren Beadman.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 1:57am
The one thing I remember about that prep is his Hotham run where he slid up to the Hayes runner, Mount Olympus, and just followed him for the last two hundred to the line.

I would say he was the best bred horse to ever race in Australia, ever!
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 6:30am
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

The one thing I remember about that prep is his Hotham run where he slid up to the Hayes runner, Mount Olympus, and just followed him for the last two hundred to the line.

I would say he was the best bred horse to ever race in Australia, ever!

Kingston Rule's final three starts during that 1990 Cup campaign read:

1st: Moonee Valley Cup
2nd Hotham Handicap
1st: Melbourne Cup

As for best bred - you're probably right. Although Brew was a pretty well bred horse...his sire was Sir Tristram and his dam was Horlicks.
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 10:29pm
There’s a really good documentary about 1990 Cup winner Kingston Rule & his breeder David Hains showing on Ch78 Racing.Com this week.

Great story about a time when the Melb Cup was still a great race. David Hains certainly seemed like a visionary with his breeding program.  Owners these days wouldn’t have the patience to try to breed a Melb Cup horse, preferring to simply buy their way into the Cup by purchasing a pre-qualified runner from Europe.

Definately worth a watch, I’m sure CH78 will rerun the show a few times before Cup day.
 Post Reply Post Reply