Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Breeding Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Worming Horses & Farm Animals Breakthrough

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ENJOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worming Horses & Farm Animals Breakthrough
    Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 10:39pm
whats the best worming chemicalsSNHC | Natural Horse Wormers

Edited by Gay3 - 27 Apr 2018 at 1:41pm
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 11:12pm

Holistically practical as I am,  effective worming of any domestic animal is essential to its' well being & to my knowledge, there isn't even one scientifically peer reviewed paper confirming the success of so called 'natural' wormers.

There are only 2 chemical products that remove the insidious encysted small strongyles from the stomach wall so why would anyone have confidence in herbs to do the job?

I just googled & found this from a naturapathic vet:

Natural Dewormers
Dr. Christine King

I’ve been asked a lot lately what I think of natural dewormers for horses, so I figured it was time
I write about them. What do I think of natural dewormers? In short: not much. I wish they
worked as claimed; I really do. But so far I’m led to conclude, as another vet once wryly
commented, that “natural dewormers work great, when used in combination with ivermectin.”
At issue for me are their efficacy (i.e. their effectiveness) and their safety.

Fecal egg counts
Many proponents of natural dewormers cite fecal egg count results of zero as proof of efficacy. But there are some real problems with that conclusion. For one thing, fecal egg counts are very imprecise at gauging the level of parasite infestation in an individual horse. This test tends to underestimate the degree of parasitism because only fertile, egg-laying, adult worms produce eggs, and even they don’t produce eggs consistently. Furthermore, it takes a large number of egg laying worms to yield a positive fecal egg count. So, a horse can have a fecal egg count of zero and still be parasitized. Fecal egg counts also vary with the horse’s diet and with the season. 
More problematic, though, is the fact that two of the most common internal parasites in horses today are not detectable by the standard fecal egg count method (fecal flotation). They are tapeworms and encysted small strongyle larvae. 
Tapeworm eggs are contained within segments of the tapeworm which break off into the
intestinal contents like little pods. Even the individual tapeworm eggs are larger and heavier than
strongyle eggs, so tapeworm eggs or egg-filled tapeworm segments sink rather than float in the
concentrated solution routinely used to perform fecal egg counts.
Encysted small strongyle larvae are not only too immature to produce eggs, they are
encapsulated (encysted) within the lining of the intestine at this stage of their life cycle. A horse
can have a severe infestation with either of these parasites, and extensive intestinal damage, yet
have a fecal egg count of zero.

Individual susceptibility
And then there is the matter of individual susceptibility to internal parasites. In veterinary
parasitology there is an interesting phenomenon called the 80-20 principle which seems to hold
true across all livestock species. It states that 80% of a herd’s total parasite burden is carried by
only 20% of the animals in the herd.
In other words, in any group of horses about 20% of the horses will be heavily parasitized
(carrying about 80% of the total worm burden for the group) and will be the main source of re-Fecal egg count is a simple lab test which estimates the number of internal parasite eggs in 1 gram of the horse’s manure, or feces. The result is reported in eggs per gram (epg). Parasitologists consider values of >200 epg to indicate severe parasite infestation. This test primarily detects 
nematode eggs (roundworms, pinworms, and the large and small strongyles). Other tests are needed to identify the presence of tapeworms, bots, and the larval stages of any internal parasites. 
Natural Dewormers Dr. Christine King
infestation for the rest of the herd and for
themselves. The remaining 80% of horses in
the group will have very few parasites (only
about 20% of the total worm burden). After
deworming, the same 20% of heavily
parasitized individuals soon become heavily
infested again. And the remaining 80% of
individuals who are only lightly parasitized
tend to stay that way, even without deworming.
The difference between the 20s and the 80s
is in the efficacy of the horse’s immune
response to the parasites. With exposure, most
healthy horses mount an effective immune
response to internal parasites which keeps the
numbers low, unless the horse is overwhelmed
by large numbers of infective larvae or is ill,
malnourished, stressed, or otherwise immune-compromised.

The message here is that a healthy immune
system is important in keeping the numbers of internal parasites low. It also suggests that these
natural dewormers may be getting too much credit for keeping fecal egg counts low.

Diatomaceous earth
One of the most commonly used ingredients in these natural dewormers is diatomaceous earth or
diatomite. Diatomaceous earth is a naturally occurring, soft, chalky rock that, when crushed,
yields a fine, light-grey powder. It consists of fossilized remains of tiny hard-shelled algae called
diatoms. Owing to their high content of crystalline silica, diatomite is mildly abrasive.
In fact, that is the mechanism by which diatomite is purported to kill intestinal parasites. It is
believed that the abrasive micro-surfaces of the diatomite cut the outer membranes of the
parasites like thousands of tiny blades. But I question that premise. Industrial-grade diatomite
has a high silica content and is used as a mild abrasive. However, food-grade diatomite has a
much lower content of crystalline silica, so it is minimally abrasive.
And even if the abrasion theory is valid, then what does this stuff do to the delicate lining of
the digestive tract? While I could not find even one scientific study which validates the use of
diatomite against internal parasites in horses or other livestock, my search did turn up several
articles documenting the health risks of chronic exposure to diatomite. When inhaled, it causes
inflammation of the airways and, with chronic exposure, even some fibrosis (scarring).
Even more concerning was a study which showed that chronic oral intake of diatomite can
damage the intestinal lining, altering its absorptive properties and making it more permeable to
potentially harmful substances. So, it seems to me that the practice of using diatomaceous earth
as a daily dewormer for horses is either useless but harmless or useful but harmful, depending on
the grade of diatomite used.

Before the widespread use of ivermectin,
the most common and important internal
parasites in horses were large strongyles,
which included Strongylus vulgaris (red-worms or bloodworms). Their eggs are
readily detected with the standard fecal egg
count method. Ivermectin is highly effective
against both immature and mature stages of
these parasites, so they are now quite un-common, except in poorly managed horses.
In their place, tapeworms and encysted
small strongyle (aka cyathostome) larvae
have risen to the top of the heap. Each can
cause colic, and the larval small strongyles
can cause diarrhea and extensive damage to
the intestinal lining. Neither parasite is sus-ceptible to ivermectin (although the small
strongyles are, later in their life cycle).
Antiparasitic herbs
Other common constituents of the natural dewormers are herbs which, it is claimed, kill,
inactivate, or repel internal parasites. The list is long and includes black walnut hulls,
chamomile, cider vinegar, garlic, Oregon grape, pumpkin seeds (and various other seeds), sage,
thyme, wormwood, and yarrow.
Now, as you may already know, I’m a big fan of herbs and I use them a lot in my practice.
Even so, I remain to be convinced of the safety and efficacy of these herbs as antiparasitic agents
in horses.
I have safety concerns about some of the herbs on that list, such as black walnut and
wormwood. I think that, at the dosages needed to rid a wormy horse of intestinal parasites, the
potential for harmful effects (e.g. colic, diarrhea, laminitis) outweighs any antiparasitic value
they may have. And I question the efficacy of the other herbs.

Purgatives
Some natural dewormers also contain herbs or other substances which stimulate bowel
contractions, with the aim of physically expelling any intestinal parasites. Senna, cascara, and
aloe are three such herbs. Suffice it to say that I do not consider purgatives either safe or
effective for parasite control in horses.

Keeping chemical use down
Internal parasites remain an important cause of illness and ill-thrift in domestic horses. I’m not
averse to using chemical dewormers, but I do try to limit their use, as much for the horse’s sake
as for their environmental impact. (For example, ivermectin does not discriminate; it is active
against both parasitic organisms and beneficial soil nematodes and insects such as dung beetles.)
Even if you have no such qualms about the frequent use of chemical dewormers, reliance on
these chemicals is not a good long-term strategy for parasite control in horses. No chemical
dewormer is 100% effective, and frequent use of these products accelerates the development of
drug resistance in surviving parasites. Over the years, one anthelmintic after another has
succumbed to drug resistance in horses and other livestock. Agrichemical research and
development can barely keep pace with the parasites’ drive for survival.
Pasture management and horse health each play crucial roles in any successful parasite
control program, and that is where I recommend concentrating the focus and efforts. The guiding
principle of good pasture management is to help the horses avoid grazing on heavily infested
grass.
To that end, avoid overstocking and overgrazing, remove the manure frequently, and when
that is not possible, use the weather to help reduce the number of infective larvae on the pasture.
Parasite eggs and larvae can survive cold weather, but larvae are readily killed by hot, dry
conditions. The summer drought we get here in the Pacific northwest is an ideal time for running
a manure spreader over your pastures to break up the manure piles and expose the larvae within
to the scorching sun. (Just take the horses off the pasture first and keep them off for a few days
afterwards.)
Good health is the other key factor. It requires a wholesome diet, daily exercise, clean air and
water, healthy social bonds, a sense of safety, and an overall sense of enjoyment in one’s
environment and occupation. With these basic elements, most horses cope ably with the stresses
and strains of training and competition, and they remain healthy and happy—which is the key to
an effective immune system.
As for how I use chemical dewormers in parasite control programs, it varies with the horse and
with the situation. What is appropriate for one horse or farm is not necessarily appropriate for
another. As with most things, I tailor the program to the individual horse’s needs and recommend
chemical deworming anywhere from treatment every 1–2 months to none at all.

I really wish natural dewormers did as good a job as their chemical counterparts. I would much
prefer to use a product which comprised ingredients from natural sources. However, an effective
natural dewormer may be an unrealistic expectation. The unnatural way most horses are kept
contributes to the problem of parasitism. What makes us think there is an effective natural
solution to this unnatural situation?
...........................................................................................................................................................
Copyright ©2006 Christine King BVSc, MACVSc, MVetClinStud
This article was first published in Horses Incorporated (www.horsesinc.net 

http://www.animavet.com/NaturalDewormers.pdf

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
gonski gonski View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonski gonski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 11:42pm
Long winded. But what pasteto buy.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 8:42pm
Was wasn't it Wink.  Equest gel (Plus to do bots as well) or a 5 day course of Panacur are the only 2 chems. that move 'cyathastomes'.
freehorseracingtips View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freehorseracingtips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 1:14am
may i ask you if what is exactly the worming horses?any suggestion or answer will be appreciated more.thank you for your post.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 1:45pm

BioWorma

Australia leads the way!

An amazing Australian technique for dealing with internal parasites is set to revolutionize the business of worming all over the world. Australian scientists discovered a natural strain of fungus – Duddingtonia Flagrans – which seeks out and traps worm larvae in manure!

“It’s using nature to fight nature, rather than chemicals to fight nature,” says Chris Lawlor, head of International Animal Health Products, who developed BioWorma, in association with Australia’s scientific research body, the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation. BioWorma has been a long time in the making, with the first steps taking place in 1997… now it is ready to hit the market.

Christopher Hector caught up with Chris Lawlor for this interview:

It must have been a fairly amazing moment the first time the CSIRO approached you with this new concept in worm control?

“It was! When we first saw it back in 1997 when we had a meeting with them, and it was then that I said, we have to do this, it’s something you come across perhaps once in a lifetime. I wanted to make sure it continued to be an Australian technology and not sold off overseas. At that time there was a European company that was interested, in fact, they had another form of Duddingtonia at the time, and had probably progressed further than the CSIRO. So it was a once in a lifetime opportunity, and it was time to grab it with both hands.”

Obviously this is not just a huge turnaround for Australia, it will be a game-changer in countries all around the world – how are you going to market it internationally?

“I can’t really tell you at this stage. We have registration in Australia as of the 5th of April, 2018, we are just waiting on the Kiwis and we should get registration there in the next week or so. In the middle of May, we should have registration in the US. It’s hard to say how long it was take in Europe – because it involves 26 countries, it could take four or five years. We are well down the track in Europe, but there are still a few things they have asked us to do. Australia and New Zealand are pretty simple because we already have distribution so it shouldn’t be a problem getting BioWorma out into the market place.”

How did you field trial test BioWorma…

Chris gives a little groan as he remembers: “Ooh… You’ve got to remember that the CSIRO had found this fungus on pasture in a survey in the mid-1990’s, and they had 25 different strains of Duddingtonia. They selected out a strain that they thought was the most robust, then we needed to feed it, initially to sheep. We had to work out what we thought the dose was going to be, feed it to the animal, then someone has to work out how many of the fungus end up in the manure. Does it pass through the gut – and if it does, does it get damaged on the way through? There are so many issues before you even get to a dose rate. When you’ve got that dose rate sorted, the next thing is to come up with a protocol for feeding it to animals.”

“We started with sheep and we were fairly quickly able to work out what the dose was, then the trial process took us five years. We completed 19 trials in sheep, goats, cattle and horses. Then we did three safety studies, so we took the dose in the sheep, and used it at five times the dose. When we did cattle and horses, we tried a tenfold dose – and all we got was healthy, very shiny coated animals. It was a good result.”

Is it still a live fungus at the point the horse owner receives BioWorma?

“It’s basically a resting spore. Nothing happens to the spore until it is fed to the animal and passed through the digestive tract into the manure. Once the round worm larvae become active, the fungus becomes active and it only has to touch the larvae to go into action. It catches the larvae and paralyses and consumes them within the manure. It really is an exciting way of doing things.”

“Horse owners will be offered Livamol with BioWorma as an End Use product. BioWorma will only be available to Veterinarians and Stockfeed Mills. The product is expected to be launched mid-year 2018 as we arestill awaiting final approval from NZ, this means a single label for each product for Australia and New Zealand.”

for a wonderful presentation on this exciting new development, go to
https://www.duddingtonia.com

On a technical note, here is a list of the types of worms trapped by Duddingtonia Flagrans in Horses:
Large strongyles (large red worms), including Strongylus spp., Triodontophorus spp. and Oesophagodontus spp., small strongyles (small red worms or cyathostomes), including Cyathostomum spp., Cylicocyclus spp. and Cylicostephanus spp., Stomach Hair Worm (Trichostrongylus axei), Ascarids (Parascaris equorum), Threadworms (Strongyloides westeri) and Pinworms (Oxyuris equi).

Post Reply Post Reply