Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Chris Waller

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 74>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 8:41am
Originally posted by Overseer Overseer wrote:

Fess up bradjm & PMD. Your on the Waterhouse payroll aren't you.

No I lease a pub on the Fraser Coast hobby breed a few slow horses sell some at ready to run sale lease out the odd one.

I did race one we bred in partnership until just recently but pulled the pin after a blowup with trainer, let's just say he was pig headed about giving the ride to a relative who's record on the horse read 1 3rd of 4 as fav as her best result

Munce one ride one win McMahon 1 ride 1 win by 8l on.a heavy 9 at 3rd start but apparently she's not a wet tracker and only got one start on a soft track.

You want to talk about kissed trainers I've got a few stories

That's my extent of involvement
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 8:43am
What a gormless post.
If he has 6 middle distance horses ready to race, there are clearly not enough races to do this without having multiple runners.
Unless of course he selects his best chance,and trials the other 5.
But who would possibly do that?
Gee Gee View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gee Gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 9:06am
Waller has a presence in Melb and will be sending horses to Brisbane.
Rhino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 9:24am

Victoria Metro Trainer Premiership 1-Aug-2013 to 7-Feb-2014

Trainer Name 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th Prize Money Strike Rate Starts
Darren Weir 36 19 22 20 16 $2,698,855.00 19.30% 187
Peter G Moody 24 24 30 26 27 $2,351,820.00 09.40% 256
David Hayes 16 28 22 34 30 $1,910,378.00 05.90% 271
Chris Waller 16 11 10 5 5 $3,200,955.00 21.90% 73
Michael Kent 16 11 8 14 10 $940,400.00 15.70% 102
Mick Price 15 16 17 10 16 $1,828,985.00 10.40% 144
Peter Snowden 14 21 21 11 15 $3,148,655.00 10.60% 132
Robert Smerdon 14 16 13 5 8 $1,149,700.00 12.70% 110
Rhino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 9:30am
The table above shows Waller's strike rate in Victoria (metro races) which is much higher than his strike rate in Sydney.

In Victoria, he does not have the capacity (at this stage) to have multiple runners in a race. Put simply, multiple runners in one race can only lower your strike rate.

Oh, and by the way, his strike rate and prize money is better in Victoria than all the other trainers listed.
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 10:44am
That's only up until July 13

Makes sense though you are sending good horses down to target races.
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Pardon_My_Dust Pardon_My_Dust wrote:

Originally posted by Sunline Sunline wrote:

kav you're on the persian rugs mate. It's you who needs the maths lesson.

Let me break it down for you. Yes, you are right, whether he has 6 horses in 6 races and 1 wins, or 6 horses in the 1 race and 1 wins, his strikerate is the same.

But, the key but, is if he has 6 horses in 6 races he has the chance to win 6 times. If he has all 6 horses in the one race, before the race has even begun, the best his strikerate can be by the end of the race is 1 in 6. Whereas with 6 in 6 races he can achieve up to 100%.

If you can't understand that then we should all give up and stop debating maths and get back to racing.

But if he has six horses in the race of a field of 10 he has a six in ten chance of winning it (possibly more). The correct way to judge Waller is by average wins per race, not win aggregate. It's his own problem if he has 6 hoses and one live chance (which is often the case).
Wow, this is proving difficult.

We're not talking about the hypothetical probability of him winning a given race! No matter how many are in that one race, the best his strikerate can be with 6 runners in it is 1 in 6 if he wins it with one of them. Whereas if he has each of those 6 in different races he can ultimately achieve up to 100% strikerate if they all win.

Can't you understand?  It really is simple. Multiple horses in a race, particularly when you have three four and more, ruin your strikerate. It's mostly the Gai lovers like you that point to his strikerate because it's all you've got. It means nothing though.
Sunline...simply supreme
Rhino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 12:27pm
No Brad, that's up until 7th Feb mate. Read the table again. Confused

And I have no major issue with Gai.
Pardon_My_Dust View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 1:09pm

Let me break it down for you. Yes, you are right, whether he has 6 horses in 6 races and 1 wins, or 6 horses in the 1 race and 1 wins, his strikerate is the same.

But, the key but, is if he has 6 horses in 6 races he has the chance to win 6 times. If he has all 6 horses in the one race, before the race has even begun, the best his strikerate can be by the end of the race is 1 in 6. Whereas with 6 in 6 races he can achieve up to 100%.

If you can't understand that then we should all give up and stop debating maths and get back to racing.

But if he has six horses in the race of a field of 10 he has a six in ten chance of winning it (possibly more). The correct way to judge Waller is by average wins per race, not win aggregate. It's his own problem if he has 6 hoses and one live chance (which is often the case).

We're not talking about the hypothetical probability of him winning a given race! No matter how many are in that one race, the best his strikerate can be with 6 runners in it is 1 in 6 if he wins it with one of them. Whereas if he has each of those 6 in different races he can ultimately achieve up to 100% strikerate if they all win.

Can't you understand?  It really is simple. Multiple horses in a race, particularly when you have three four and more, ruin your strikerate. It's mostly the Gai lovers like you that point to his strikerate because it's all you've got. It means nothing though.

Of course I understand, and I agree, but I'm saying it's his choice to have six runners AND having six runners increases the probability of him winning the race too. So he's at an advantage there as he can control the speed and set it up for one particular horse that he knows is flying. So it's not only detrimental to his winning %, it also helps him a little.
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Rhino Rhino wrote:

No Brad, that's up until 7th Feb mate. Read the table again. Confused

And I have no major issue with Gai.

Sorry was reading the link

Any if you click on it its vastly different to what you have pasted
Rhino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 1:33pm
The table as posted is this seasons premiership to date - IE 1st August 2013 to today. Needless to say he is having a great year in Melbourne.
He only had 10 winners the previous season. Hope that clarifies it for you. Big smile
Gee Gee View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Gee Gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 3:56pm
Stable numbers taken from CWR newsletter:

CWR NUMBERS WEDNESDAY 5 FEBRUARY

- 371 horses in total comprising:

142 in training

- 105 spelling

83 pre-training

- 20 being broken in

- 19 in NZ (9 yearlings plus 10 2yos)

- 2 in quarantine

- 132 stables at Rosehill.

- 10 stables at Flemington - soon to be 20 come March.

kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 6:56pm

You are missing the point Sunline. The reason why I chose 1 in 6 is because that is his strike rate. Or roughly anyway. So when he has 4 runners in a plodfest of 7 runners and 1 wins, it actually increases his strike rate when he wins it because 1 in 4 is a bigger percentage than 1 in 6.

The fact that he could win more races if the horses are in different races is mute as if they could win those races then shouldn't they be in those races. As Pardon My Dust said-what about the owners of those horses running around in races that they can't possibly win????!!!!

Now I know it is not a roll of the dice as, I think DrE tried to school me, but in a race of 10 let's say that the chance of a win is 1 in 10 which in most 10 horse races is probably closer to the truth. And besides, most of Waller's horses start less than this so theoretically they his strike rate should be higher than my next example.

A trainer has 1 starter in 8 separate races on the card. All runners have an equal chance of winning. His chance of having at least 1 winner is 57%. If a trainer has 2 starters in each of the 8 races then his chance of getting at least 1 winner is 83%. As I said Waller's runners usually start at less than 1 in 10 odds and therefore his expected probability of getting at least 1 winner, whether he has 1 runner or 2 in each race should be more than 57 and 83% respectively. 

In other words he should be striking at better than the 16.5% that he is.

So Sunline, DrE and all others doubting the maths, please go back to school before typing, and if you want to respond give me some thought out mathematical figures to support your argument.

Prejudice is an emotional attachment to ignorance.
DiEM25 for the world.
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 7:51pm
I've given up trying to talk Maths, kav, it ain't working. I'll stick to addressing one ridiculous claim of yours.

You say that if the others he has in the race can win other races, why aren't they in other races rather than going round to be beaten by stablemates. If you hadn't noticed, racing is run by breeders and they don't program for stayers. They program for sprinters. These horses in Waller's stable have precious little options. It goes a log way to explaining Waller's Melbourne stable.

You're not one of the Gai lovers so I'm surprised you just simply don't get it.
Sunline...simply supreme
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 8:06pm
Maths is my forte and how I make my living. The Maths say he is under-performing Sunline. I have no alliance with any stable and don't have any favourites.

The most telling stat would be the return on backing each of his runners. I'm sure there would be a loss and there is likely to be a loss for Gai as well. Waller, I suspect will have a larger loss.
DiEM25 for the world.
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 8:16pm
Waller's POT is -16.2 for this season-that is a loss of 16.2% on level stakes. Gai is -8.2.

For the full of last season for waller a loss of -15% and Gai -22.3%.

Not very flattering for either of them.
DiEM25 for the world.
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 8:41pm
Trainers don't train for punters. They train for owners. Waller races his horses and that's what most owners want as it's why they pay ridiculously high bills.
Sunline...simply supreme
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by kavg kavg wrote:

Maths is my forte and how I make my living. The Maths say he is under-performing Sunline. I have no alliance with any stable and don't have any favourites.

The most telling stat would be the return on backing each of his runners. I'm sure there would be a loss and there is likely to be a loss for Gai as well. Waller, I suspect will have a larger loss.

... and now you are just guessing Dead

You were doing so well too!LOL ... Just kidding!!!

Again, you clearly have a very good grasp of mathematical theory, in particular probability, and i'm sure it is highly valued in your line of work ... you do call bingo professionally, I assume? - JUST KIDDING AGAIN! Big smile

But they are not balls falling out of a machine! (I reckon that's rigged too!) ... pure probability doesn't allow for superior ability (or superior training).

... so are his chances of winning when he has the 4 best horses in a field of 10 better or worse than when he has the 4 worst ...? ... because the fact is, he more often than not has the former, and that always hurts his strike rate ....

Unlike our favourite trainer!Clown

Race 9 RESULTS 4:25 PM EST NATSKI HANDICAP 1500m 
Prize Money $85,000 
No
Horse
Jockey
Trainer
Wg
Margin
Odds
1st
1-34.42
$4.80/$6.50 
2nd
1.3L
$7/$4.40 
3rd
2.1L
$11/$11 
4th
3.6L
$8.50/$19 
5th
4.4L
$11/$14 
6th
4.6L
$26/$41 
7th
5.2L
$26/$16 
8th
5.6L
$71/$71 
9th
10.0L
$9/$9 
10th
10.2L
$3.30/$3.90F 
11th
10.3L
$21/$31 
12th
14.0L
$26/$17 
13th
14.1L
$21/$31 
Scr

Scr

Scr

Scr

Scr

Scr

Scr

Scr

Scr

TRIFECTA! ... for "giving up meekly in the straight" and finishing 3rd last ... 2nd last ... and tailed off stone motherless last ... check the scratchings! HaHaHa! ... love it!Clap

In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 8:52pm
Sunline, You are again missing the point. They are both under-performing when it comes to expected outcomes. They should have higher strike rates than they do considering their starters start at shorter odds.

With my example regarding a trainer having 1 or 2 runners in an 8 race card, the probability of getting at least 1 winner is 57%. If it was Waller and each of his runners were at $3-i.e much less than the 1 in 10 example I used then he would theoretically have a much higher probability of getting at least 1 winner. Let's say Rick Worthington had 1 runner in each race and they were all at $33-i.e much higher than the 1 in 10 example, then he would have a much lower probability of getting at least one winner.

If he cannot return a profit on turnover for punters on his runners then I very much doubt he would return a profit for owners in the majority of cases.
DiEM25 for the world.
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 9:10pm
So you're suggesting if a horse is profitable on the punt it's profitable to the owner? And conversely if it's not profitable on the punt it's not profitable to the owner?

Wow. It gets better.
Sunline...simply supreme
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 9:10pm
Phelan Ready must have been a disaster for his owners on that theory.
Sunline...simply supreme
Group 1 Selections View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Group 1 Selections Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 10:00pm
I agree with Sunline, comparing trainers abilities/ success for the punters vs trainers abilities/ success for the owners are two completely worlds.

Waller is without doubt the best trainer in Australia at the moment. The way his horses dominated last year is testament to that. The bloke is a freak and will go down as one of the greats. I know if I was to have a horse with any big trainer in Australia he would be the only one I would consider.
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 11:05pm
Sunline, I never said that. I said on a whole if he can't turn a profit overall, then overall most horses would fail to cover there training fees and purchase costs. You pull Phelan Ready as an example but not every horse can win a MM and Slipper. In fact not many win one of them. 

DiEM25 for the world.
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

... so are his chances of winning when he has the 4 best horses in a field of 10 better or worse than when he has the 4 worst ...? ... because the fact is, he more often than not has the former, and that always hurts his strike rate ....

I addressed this in my next post Dr E and he obviously has more of a chance winning when he has the best 4 runners in the race. So your point about this is wrong. It doesn't hurt his strike rate if he has the best 4 runners in  a race and one wins because that is a 25% strike rate. His overall strike rate is 16.5%. How much simpler can I make it. He is way below his expected strike rate based on odds of runners.
Why don't you stick to bagging Gai which you do very well and stop trying to defend Waller's pitiful strike rate.
DiEM25 for the world.
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 11:14pm
No, I pulled Phelan Ready because he's one of the most unprofitable racehorses in history from a punting perspective but has netted his owners millions. It is one of many examples of a horse that does very well for his owners but not so good for punters if you have a dollar on every start.

No one in their right mind backs all of Waller's horses all of the time. You can't win. But it isn't the measure of his ability or success as a trainer. His owners measure that and they vote with their feet. Just like Denise voted with her feet. Very significant.
Sunline...simply supreme
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 11:33pm
Sunline you really don't know when to quit do you. 

Level stakes on Phelan Ready would turn a massive profit over his 46 starts.  SP for MM-50/1,SP for Slipper 25/1.
They were within his first 5 starts. You would have made enough to retire on and not had to lose in the following 41 starts. But you'd still be ahead!!!!

Thanks for proving my point.
DiEM25 for the world.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2014 at 1:17am
I don't think you touched it when it was raised, but can you explain why his strike rate is so much higher in Melbourne, where he rarely has multiple runners ... mathematically ...?
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2014 at 10:06am
DrE,
His strike rate in Victoria this season is 21% but he has only had 77 starters. That is not a statistically significant number when compared to the 711 starters he has had in NSW. That is like saying he is the best trainer in QLD because he has a 100% strike rate from 1 starter.

If you look at his all-time record he has strike rate of 14% in NSW from 7774 starters and for Vic a strike rate of 15% from 214 starters. 
DiEM25 for the world.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2014 at 1:26pm
... just as I suspected, superior strike rate where he has less multiple runners - rest my case
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2014 at 1:33pm
Hahaha,
DrE, you should consider a job in statistics or maybe apply for a job as Alan Jones facts man. You must know Jonesy from your days at gais.
DiEM25 for the world.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 74>