Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Chris Waller

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6768697071 74>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 7:46pm
Money talks ANY language.

Look at England and the sheikhs.

But that is for another thread .
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 7:50pm
Chris is really pissing me off.

No slot, no worries: Chris Waller still eyes The Everest with Nature Strip

35 minutes ago by AAP
Nature StripImage: Getty
Talented sprinter Nature Strip will be given every chance to stake a claim for a berth in The Everest.

Premier Sydney trainer Chris Waller has been working hard to get Nature Strip to settle in his work and trials with a view to extending his repertoire to run 1200 metres comfortably.

Only one of Nature Strip's 10 wins has been beyond 1100m, the distance of his Group One win in The Galaxy earlier this year.

Waller said while Nature Strip is yet to secure a slot in the $14 million feature in October, he will aim to have him ready - even if he's on standby as emergency - if required.

"I think he has come back a more mature horse again and with him losing those antics of being seen as a 'go fast and hope for the best' type horse, we are starting to see some tractability in him," Waller said.

"He had a trial last week at Rosehill with James McDonald aboard who said that it is the best he has been.

"I think he is a perfect example for a horse to pick up one of the last remaining slots because he is a proven Group One performer.

"I know everyone is just waiting to see him settle better and I have just about done it."

Waller is already training West Australian mares Arcadia Queen and Enticing Star for The Everest.

Both are owned by Bob Peters and have secured starts in the race on October 19 with Enticing Star to run in the slot held by Waller and Arcadia Queen running for The Star.

The two were withdrawn from barrier trials on Monday with the trainer saying they did not need them so soon.

Instead, they worked together at Rosehill on Tuesday morning.

Waller plans to start Nature Strip in the Group Three Concorde Stakes (1000m) on September 7 but has not yet decided where Arcadia Queen and Enticing Star will kick off.

After the Concorde, Nature Strip is likely to run in the Premiere Stakes (1200m) on October 5 to ensure he is primed for the Everest if he gets a call-up.

The four slots left in the race are held by Coolmore, Godolphin, James Harron and the Melbourne Racing Club.

Coolmore and Godolphin are likely to put one of their own horses in while the winner of the Schillaci Stakes at Caulfield on October 12 gains the MRC slot if connections want to run.
reductio ad absurdum
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 7:55pm
Gee, that might've even been an appropriate inclusion in the actual Everest 2019 thread.  Shocked  Wink 
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 8:31am
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Most who know a little about the racing and breeding industry follow the Chinese "money trail" and know where it's coming from.  Particularly in the case of Yulong which was earlier identified on TBV.  Very similar indeed to the middle eastern investment and where its cash comes from - you going to differentiate?

I know you live on Planet Second Chance, however if you believe that. you'll believe anything.
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 1:27pm
Stewards report on Eastender

Eastender − Slow to begin. Raced fiercely in the early stages. Rider C. Williams reported that the gelding over raced throughout the early stages however, from 1400m settled and commenced to travel well. He added that whilst Eastender improved into the event from the 800m, near the 500m the gelding changed stride, shifted in and made heavy contact with the running rail and as a result became unbalanced and lost ground. He said from this point Eastender did not respond to his riding and when he was concerned there was something a miss with the gelding he desisted from riding it out over the final 250m. A post-race veterinary examination did not reveal any abnormalities. Mr C. Duckworth representing trainer Mr C. Waller stated that the only explanation he could offer for today's performance was that Eastender had not adapted to the Sydney way of racing as he was having his first start in this state.
Stewards advised Mr Duckworth that Eastender would be required to barrier trial to their satisfaction before having its next race start. Mr Duckworth undertook to report back to the Stewards if anyconditionwasapparentwiththegeldinginthedayssubsequent. RiderC.Williamswascautioned against using his whip in a manner that raised his whip arm above shoulder height (AR132(6)(b)).
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 6:38pm
Can only assume the betting volume doesn't dip too much when he lines up with 7/8ths of a metro Saturday field?

I'm not a fan of limitations on business, but if they were to stipulate no more than four runners in any one race, the issue of stable numbers might take care of itself.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 4:59am
Originally posted by Red Hare Red Hare wrote:

Can only assume the betting volume doesn't dip too much when he lines up with 7/8ths of a metro Saturday field?

I'm not a fan of limitations on business, but if they were to stipulate no more than four runners in any one race, the issue of stable numbers might take care of itself.

Is horse racing a business or sport ?

reductio ad absurdum
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 6:01pm
Racing is sport. Training is business.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 6:30pm
Got the 3 G1s so far today, which of his wins the metrop?
Smoke and Mirrors View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke and Mirrors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 6:32pm
The Syd Cup winner
"Go Hard or Go Home”
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 6:42pm
Brimham Rocks
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 6:58pm
Lol
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
pnclick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnclick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 6:58pm
Geez... He's having a very good day....
Smoke and Mirrors View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke and Mirrors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by Jamal Jamal wrote:

Lol

Gonna go with the WA bias or roll out the weak era crap again
"Go Hard or Go Home”
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Smoke and Mirrors Smoke and Mirrors wrote:

Originally posted by Jamal Jamal wrote:

Lol

Gonna go with the WA bias or roll out the weak era crap again

WA it is   
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 8:59pm
Has anyone seen mowie?
Sunline...simply supreme
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 9:48pm
I think that his effort is a quality performance, but the way racing is these days it was only a matter of time.

Horses with mega stables, more group 1 races and satellite stables.

Some will celebrate but some will argue that it is not healthy for the industry, and maybe they have a point.

Of course, I suppose I will be accused of tall poppy syndrome, but just saying!
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 9:51am

WATCH: Ex-Chris Waller trained horse set monumental task in US

By Luke Sheehan Mon, 14 Oct 8:20AM AEDT

Ex-Chris Waller horse ParetImage: Bradley PhotographyThe ex-Chris Waller trained galloper Paret was set an extraordinary task in the United States on Monday (AEDT), and he very nearly pulled off a remarkable victory.

Paret was having his fifth start in the US, however he was stepping up sharply in trip - racing over twice the distance he did just two weeks back. 

Having placed in an 1100m race on September 28, trainer James Lawrence II stepped him out a fortnight later to the US$100,000 Point of Entry Stakes over 2400m at Belmont Park.

Unsurprisingly given the preparation, Paret started $20 at BetEasy, but defied his price somewhat to hold on to nab second behind the swooping Red Knight.

The former Sydney galloper - who finished 8.4L behind Hartnell in last year's Epsom Handicap - was only 1.5L off the winner in what was easily the longest race of his career.

Paret was let stride in front by jockey Edgar Prado, who has ridden over 7000 winners in his career, leading by as much as 2.5 lengths two furlongs out.

But the well-tried Red Knight was able to reel him in, and deny Paret what would've been an extraordinary win in the circumstances.
Paret was exported to the US after bleeding from both nostrils after a race at Rosehill in March this year. As that was his second instance of a bleed, he incurred a lifetime ban from Australian racing.

In his new life across the Pacific Ocean, Paret has now strung together four minor placings, after his first US start - in Group Two company - saw him finish unplaced at Pimlico in May.

About

Contact

Help/FAQ

Terms

OUR APPS

View desktop website

Gamble Responsibly18+

18+ Don’t let the game play you. Stay in control. Gamble responsibly. Think! About your choices. Call Gambling Help on 1800 858 858 or visit www.gamblinghelp.nsw.gov.auor www.gamblinghelponline.org.au.

Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 9:48pm
Okay, I would like to post this, after having wiped the egg off my face.

I was very flippant about Wallers efforts on Epsom day training four group 1 winners, but I would like to speak about some of the comments about this guy after the Everest.

Now I am no Waller follower. He is a top quality trainer, who has come from having one bridle when he landed in Sydney to being I think, the most dominant trainer since T.J.Smith, which is saying something because we have had some cracking trainers in the last 30 years.

I am also not a big fan of the mega stables we have, but that is not Wallers fault, I mean if an owner called into my office, and said he wanted to give me a horse, then I would not say no.

But some of the negative comments by the keyboard experts, of which I include myself, is sour grapes, bordering on disrespect.

Because Waller won, I have seen comments (not in the village), that this race is for the rich and wealthy. Well Redzel's owners are not wealthy, maybe they have some money, but if a horse is good enough, then they will get a run in the race. I have been trying to think of a sprinter who deserved to be in that race today, but I can not think of one.

Waller is a polarising figure, just as T.J was, but to say that someone has a race put on for them, when getting a runner in the race, and then having everything go right for you, to even just have a chance, is to me just illogical.

I am not a sprint racing lover, I like my thoroughbreds to have stamina as well as speed, but the race brings good fields together, and then may the best horse win which today was Yes Yes Yes, who thoroughly deserved his win in track record time.

I backed SAL, and Zahra just overdid the get back style and then on the turn he stayed inside horses when he should have been moving out before the turn and in the clear, but he would have had to break 32 to win and he was never going to do that.

The winner was trained well, the 1400m run gave him the toughness he needed to keep going in the last 200m, and the ride was a cracker.

Other trainers have tried to win this race with 3yo's and Waller came up with the right plan.

As I have said I am not a huge Waller supporter, but I do believe in credit where credit is due, and to win this race with an inexperienced 3yo, shows the talents of this man.   

Well done to him and all the staff

Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 10:07pm
Great post Voyager!
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 11:58pm
A really good trainer. Still a long way to go to knock off Tommy Smith, Bart Cummings and Colin Hayes.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 1:12am
You might be right Jamal but TJ was a group 1 winner from 1950 to 1990.

Waller has only been a group 1 winner for 12 years, so I think comparing all the great trainers at the same stage of their careers is more realistic.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 1:39am
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

You might be right Jamal but TJ was a group 1 winner from 1950 to 1990.

Waller has only been a group 1 winner for 12 years, so I think comparing all the great trainers at the same stage of their careers is more realistic.

In fact I don't think we will ever see the likes of TJ, Bart and C.Hayes.

Those three had to compete against each other. What's Waller competing against? Not a lot really if we are going to be honest and the opposition in terms of trainers are no where near the likes of "The Big 3".

As I said...Waller is an awesome trainer. But won't be as good as "The Big 3" in my opinion. Happy to be proven wrong.....in time....if it happens.

Waller is in form that's for sure....good to see.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 7:54am
It is impossible to quantify factually.

Waller on his record is absolutely on a par with TJ, Bart and Hayes.

Waller is competing against trainers from all over the planet. TJ and his cohorts did not have to do that.

reductio ad absurdum
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 8:05am
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

It is impossible to quantify factually.

Waller on his record is absolutely on a par with TJ, Bart and Hayes.

Waller is competing against trainers from all over the planet. TJ and his cohorts did not have to do that.

Bart certainly did when trainers would come from overseas for the Cup. Not so much TJ
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 2:23pm
The combined stable numbers of the " Big 3 " wouldn't add up to what Waller has in work imo, TJ, 50 ( max.) Bart 35, Hayes 60, Waller 200 maybe? I think TJs first G1 was Playboy 49/ AJC Derby fwiw.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 2:33pm
Also there are more group 1's these days.

But Waller has as much dominance in Melbourne and Brisbane as TJ had, and he has started to target Perth and Adelaide a little more.

As I stated I think T.J's record from Playboy's 1949 win to the end of 1961, is a more accurate comparison.

But as TJ himself used to say, there may be a trainer just as good come along, but I have the score on the board.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

Also there are more group 1's these days.

But Waller has as much dominance in Melbourne and Brisbane as TJ had, and he has started to target Perth and Adelaide a little more.

As I stated I think T.J's record from Playboy's 1949 win to the end of 1961, is a more accurate comparison.

But as TJ himself used to say, there may be a trainer just as good come along, but I have the score on the board.

I think TJ aknowleded that Bart was his biggest rival. Colon Hayes was a legend too
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 3:57pm
Colon?
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 2:07pm
The factory is atrocious. 
reductio ad absurdum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6768697071 74>