Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

CIARON MAHER

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spearmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by linghi11 linghi11 wrote:

Originally posted by Xavier Xavier wrote:

To be fair to Ciaron he had the wool pulled over his eyes by someone he trusted..

I guess he does have a lot of wool on his head to be fair
"Nothing in the world is so powerful as an idea whose time has come"
Einstein View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Einstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 3:19pm

To be fair to Ciaron he had the wool pulled over his eyes by someone he trusted..
LOL I guess they must have also made him lie to the stewards???
Einstein View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Einstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Someone above suggested Maher would start rigging races and using jiggers because he was once suspended for training horses for a banned fraudster.

That's about as big a stretch as suggesting someone would start raping babies because he was once convicted of stealing a carton of cigarettes from the corner store. 
I don't think he would ever use a jigger, however, I do think his stable needs to be looked into. He suddenly came on the scene with a some good horses, tried to deny one was lame and run it anyway, then got caught lying to stewards about knowing abut a banned owner. Stable went very quiet when he was suspended. Comes back and all of a sudden, BOOM, winners everywhere again??
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 3:35pm
Please stop Talking bullsh1t Einstein.

Firstly, Maher never lied to the stewards.  He was suspended under Rule 175(a) because the stewards found that Maher, who pleaded guilty, did not take the necessary steps to notify them of suspicions he may have had relating to the ownership of the horses.

Secondly, the stable did not go quiet in his absence.  It may have slowed somewhat but that would more than realistically be put down to the fact that the stand-in trainer was not quite as talented as is Maher.

Please get you facts right before making arguably defamatory posts.
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 3:38pm
Didn’t they win a G1 whilst he was out?
Balciano View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balciano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 3:53pm
Thought the stable didn't too badly during his suspension - Aloisia won the Guineas, Merchant Navy won the Coolmore etc. Not sure about strike rate.

Really rate him as a horseman. The job he did with Jameka, winning the Sires at 2, Oaks at 3, then training on to be a star at 4 was outstanding. Al Garhood, Bashboy, Srikandi, Bon Aurum, he's certainly versatile if nothing else.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 4:31pm

Someone above suggested Maher would start rigging races and using jiggers because he was once suspended for training horses for a banned fraudster.

That's about as big a stretch as suggesting someone would start raping babies because he was once convicted of stealing a carton of cigarettes from the corner store. 

I am not sure if you were talking about me second, but just to clarify what I was saying.

Ciaron runs a huge operation already. He hired a person, as racing manager, who has shown himself, to be untrustworthy (not saying Maher deliberately knew he was untrustworthy, but you do not want any person of, lets say shady, character, anywhere near a stable), and you are saying that this person, who has had a pretty consistent presence in front of the stewards, is the one to be allowed to take over the stable operations at Forest Lodge.

I am not saying he would use a jigger, but the administration side of his previous stables does leave a bit to be desired, and I would have thought the stewards would not want any smell, from the person who is to take this position.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Einstein View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Einstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 4:33pm

Please stop Talking bullsh1t Einstein.

Firstly, Maher never lied to the stewards.  He was suspended under Rule 175(a) because the stewards found that Maher, who pleaded guilty, did not take the necessary steps to notify them of suspicions he may have had relating to the ownership of the horses.

Secondly, the stable did not go quiet in his absence.  It may have slowed somewhat but that would more than realistically be put down to the fact that the stand-in trainer was not quite as talented as is Maher.

Please get you facts right before making arguably defamatory posts.
So he told stewards that he didn't know about the ownership, but when interviewed on tv after his suspension was handed down he admitted he knew.... I would call that lying.
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 4:35pm
The Stewards and Integrity department have signed off on him taking over.
They don’t have an issue with it... they have said that today.
Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 4:37pm
I have little if anything against your post Voyager, and yours certainly wasn't the focus of my attention.

As for the other bloke, you don't need to be Einstein to realise he's making it up as her goes along.
Einstein View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Einstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 5:17pm
If you didn't have horses with him, would you be defending him so adamantly?

Edited by Gay3 - 07 Feb 2019 at 5:22pm
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 5:39pm
I don’t have horses with him (Maher)
I did with Weir; but she moved elsewhere.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 7:04am
I'm afraid Ciaron's ego may well usurp his sense of reality in all this, how many horses does he have now? 600 you think? am I close?........5 training establishments in VIC and 1 in SYD.......what's next? BNE? ADL even?......., Quote from Maher ''I strive to do the best I can for each individual horse''......this whole thing is turning into a circus, as an owner do you want your horse trained by the foreman? even with two of them, all it takes is a rogue stablehand, and Dr Geoff Chapman, learned Gentleman that he was, confessed, large stables always have that problem.......watching over that many? I wont say supervising because that's just plain impossible with those numbers. Time to get real, I'd never send one of mine to a behemoth ......you gotta be joking....IMO.
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 7:13am
Ballarat stables will be run by Declan Maher (Ciaron’s brother) along with Simon McCartin (was Racing Manager for Weir)
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 7:22am

Ballarat stables will be run by Declan Maher (Ciaron’s brother) along with Simon McCartin (was Racing Manager for Weir)

Therein lays the problem, will be run, so Maher sends emails/fx/facetime.....and what training fee does he charge? is there a discount because he is outsourcing the running of? Holy Moly.......owner madness, do they not care?
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 7:29am
Originally posted by Bonjour Bonjour wrote:

I'm afraid Ciaron's ego may well usurp his sense of reality in all this, how many horses does he have now? 600 you think? am I close?........5 training establishments in VIC and 1 in SYD.......what's next? BNE? ADL even?......., Quote from Maher ''I strive to do the best I can for each individual horse''......this whole thing is turning into a circus, as an owner do you want your horse trained by the foreman? even with two of them, all it takes is a rogue stablehand, and Dr Geoff Chapman, learned Gentleman that he was, confessed, large stables always have that problem.......watching over that many? I wont say supervising because that's just plain impossible with those numbers. Time to get real, I'd never send one of mine to a behemoth ......you gotta be joking....IMO.

Couldn't agree more. Pay high profile training fees for a neville nobody to do the work. Its madness
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 8:22am
That's why I love a boutique stable. Trainer is hands on, all the time
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 8:33am
Originally posted by TJMitchell TJMitchell wrote:

That's why I love a boutique stable. Trainer is hands on, all the time

A few years ago Matthew Dale in Canberra only had about 20 in work at one time, but an amazing strike rate..
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 8:45am
And this is why I still have fond memories of the past watching TJ overseeing his string on his white poney Every morning like clockwork, walking around that exercise ring at the half mile gap at Randwick at the hosing docks there would be brown paper soaked in anti- flogestine all over the floor ( many had been bandaged the night before) all hosed off before they worked , no flitting around the countryside to multiple y/sales, they were all there every morning McCarten, Jack Green , Harry Plant, Frank Dalton , Fil Allota, Peter Lawson, Moore Selwood, Jack Thompson, Mulley, Podmoore, Selkrig, I could go on but I would be boring, they were fun days as against the rat race of today made even harder by the social media angle bile that's spewed out by the uneducated masses and poor journo reporting. ( rant over)
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 8:54am
Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

Couldn't agree more. Pay high profile training fees for a neville nobody to do the work. Its madness

I am with you guys.  Paying huge fees, and who,s training these horses ???  Do they ever even lay eyes on some of them besides at the races ? Its not possible and certainly not "hands on " . 
animals before people.
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 8:57am
I always thought that the X factor a trainer had, was his eye.
Ostensibly, they all have pretty much the same training programs.
It’s just a matter of whether this one needs a bit more work,or that one needs a few easy days.
How do they they provide this X factor on horses they never see working, or how it behaves around the stables?
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 9:19am
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

And this is why I still have fond memories of the past watching TJ overseeing his string on his white poney Every morning like clockwork, walking around that exercise ring at the half mile gap at Randwick at the hosing docks there would be brown paper soaked in anti- flogestine all over the floor ( many had been bandaged the night before) all hosed off before they worked , no flitting around the countryside to multiple y/sales, they were all there every morning McCarten, Jack Green , Harry Plant, Frank Dalton , Fil Allota, Peter Lawson, Moore Selwood, Jack Thompson, Mulley, Podmoore, Selkrig, I could go on but I would be boring, they were fun days as against the rat race of today made even harder by the social media angle bile that's spewed out by the uneducated masses and poor journo reporting. ( rant over)
I'm sitting here a bit choked over your post Carioca.......thanks heaps........I didn't get to Oz until 73, so missed them at Randwick, and I headed to Canterbury anyway....a strong training centre still back then, even though JD had gone. But what I will say, watch FBI at Flemington made me realise how a big stable run by family could work....they were in their halcyon days then, Subzero was a yearling when I started training, but they were the benchmark......watching Leon run Cummings and Fennesy run CH's was also good as there was Daily communication, twice daily from the big boss's......and of course CH especially was back and forth and their horses were floated across from ADL Wed night to arrive Thur morning....precision stuff, magic staff that loved the boss and the horses......I envy you though Carioca, you saw champion trainers and champion horses....not what is masquerading as Champion trainers nowadays. #imposters.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 10:06am

I'm sitting here a bit choked over your post Carioca.......thanks heaps........I didn't get to Oz until 73, so missed them at Randwick, and I headed to Canterbury anyway....a strong training centre still back then, even though JD had gone. But what I will say, watch FBI at Flemington made me realise how a big stable run by family could work....they were in their halcyon days then, Subzero was a yearling when I started training, but they were the benchmark......watching Leon run Cummings and Fennesy run CH's was also good as there was Daily communication, twice daily from the big boss's......and of course CH especially was back and forth and their horses were floated across from ADL Wed night to arrive Thur morning....precision stuff, magic staff that loved the boss and the horses......I envy you though Carioca, you saw champion trainers and champion horses....not what is masquerading as Champion trainers nowadays. #imposters.

Nice thoughts thank you Bonjour, yep apprenticed at Randwick 1957, seen a lot , learnt a bit lol, great gallopers from NZ too , Redcraze, Somerset Fair ( loved him) Ray Ribbon many others, Darby Munro was training there too (great bloke) when Tommy's horses got to the track they walked for 40 minutes around the exercise ring before working , then they went out in waves out to the middle , the " little general" was there on his pony barking orders to Moore, Ward , Swinton and the apprentices do this do that , strapper s on the ground rode them back to the stripping shed ( jocks would stay) out would come the next wave , when finished all walked again for 40 minutes then back to the stables, they all came together and left together , all ridden and leading one or strapper on pony having one each side, all staff at one of two boarding houses for breakfast at 8.am, I know I was eating there too, was going over to NZ in /58 to be with old Arthur Didham , lucky mum said NO lol, brrrr, the South Island, I was a foot soldier for twenty years , and licensed for over a decade, I've had my toe in the water , fond memories.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 10:12am
Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

It’s just a matter of whether this one needs a bit more work,or that one needs a few easy days.
How do they they provide this X factor on horses they never see working, or how it behaves around the stables?
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 10:13am

reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 10:14am
And it needs to said AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN.

reductio ad absurdum
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 10:24am

Nice thoughts thank you Bonjour, yep apprenticed at Randwick 1957, seen a lot , learnt a bit lol, great gallopers from NZ too , Redcraze, Somerset Fair ( loved him) Ray Ribbon many others, Darby Munro was training there too (great bloke) when Tommy's horses got to the track they walked for 40 minutes around the exercise ring before working , then they went out in waves out to the middle , the " little general" was there on his pony barking orders to Moore, Ward , Swinton and the apprentices do this do that , strapper s on the ground rode them back to the stripping shed ( jocks would stay) out would come the next wave , when finished all walked again for 40 minutes then back to the stables, they all came together and left together , all ridden and leading one or strapper on pony having one each side, all staff at one of two boarding houses for breakfast at 8.am, I know I was eating there too, was going over to NZ in /58 to be with old Arthur Didham , lucky mum said NO lol, brrrr, the South Island, I was a foot soldier for twenty years , and licensed for over a decade, I've had my toe in the water , fond memories.
Love reading those stories, even better when you can relate to them! Arthur Dids, never met him, but rode a few for son Mick [champion bloke and top trainer] and of course Jim Didham, who I rode quite a few for, when he was at Otaki......72 I think....heel could those blokes train a horse, and plunder when they came to OZ......from memory Arthur set up at W Farm and Jim had his first race ride there.....great stories and thanks agin!
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 11:26pm
Could not find the Dubious thread so will put this here.

The stable have confirmed that Dubious will contest the BTC Cup, on Saturday instead of the Sires.

He will carry 48 kilos and he has been put up in early markets at $15.00.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 7:32am

A major Victorian stable is awaiting a series of COVID-19 test results after contact with a confirmed case.

Ciaron Maher Racing was testing a number of its staff on Wednesday and was still awaiting those results, while Racing Victoria said that it was assisting a stable at Ballarat. There is no immediate threat to the sport.

It became clear on Wednesday that the stable was dealing with a COVID-19 issue and Racing.com was told that testing was underway. 

Racing Victoria has an extensive and proactive COVID-19 system in place that have dealt with similar issues during the pandemic.

A jockey did not ride on Wednesday after attending a tier 2 site. He was still waiting his test results.

A Racing Victoria spokesman said they were working with the stable and the Ballarat Turf club.

Racing Victoria (RV), in accordance with industry protocols and processes, has been working with a Ballarat racing stable and the Ballarat Turf Club (BTC) to manage a COVID incident related to that stable, the spokesman said.

RV and the stable have today facilitated COVID testing of the stables employees and other persons identified through the industrys contact tracing process.

RV and the BTC are implementing arrangements to ensure that appropriate care and exercise can be afforded to the stables horses by designated staff pending receipt of those test results.

Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 7:33am
Jockey involved was John Allen
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>