Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

CIARON MAHER

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CIARON MAHER
    Posted: 25 Jun 2011 at 12:22pm
I note that Ciaron Maher was fined $10,000 for giving false evidence re the circumstances of the late scratching of Bruno at Casterton recently. What wasn't reported however is what was the real reason for its late scratching. Does anybody know?
Keep them honest
Ted View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2011 at 12:36pm
Looks like he just made a late decision to run the horse the next day at Ararat, maybe he'd heard McLoaded was out
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 3:14pm
Just how good is this guy??? Young horses, old horses, sprinters, jumpers, he does the lot.
Where do you guys rate him as far as Vic trainers go?
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 3:15pm
He just keeps improving. Will be the No.1 City trainer within 2 years
doubledown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doubledown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

Just how good is this guy??? Young horses, old horses, sprinters, jumpers, he does the lot.
Where do you guys rate him as far as Vic trainers go?
You could argue he's one of the best in the country, at least as a horseman.

Was gonna make a seperate thread last week but I got too drunk Clown maybe tonight.
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 3:45pm
And he does it again.....
Newtown Old Boy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newtown Old Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 8:21am
Couldn't find an existing thread but thought he may deserve one. Come a long way since Tears I Cry. Going gang busters at the moment and Petits Filous seems to be something special.
One criticism though - get a haircut son.

In the dropdown change from Message Body to Topic Title Smile

Edited by Gay3 - 27 Sep 2015 at 10:20am
doubledown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doubledown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 8:52am
Not many can match him for versatility.

He wins with 2yo's and with 12yo's. Wins over 1000m and 5500m. Wins 0-58's and G1's...
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 9:59am
Excellent, excellent trainer.
Sunline...simply supreme
Gee Gee View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gee Gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 10:04am
he's on a roll at the moment.

I hope he grows one of those hipster newtown beards!
brave_ponies View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brave_ponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 10:08am
Originally posted by Sunline Sunline wrote:

Excellent, excellent trainer.

This, and great hair!
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 6:09pm
How many trainers have won the Guineas Prelude and a Coleraine Cup in the same weekend?
Bi Carb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi Carb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 8:47pm
They used to say the same about Moods once
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 8:58pm
Outstanding trainer by Australian standards.

reductio ad absurdum
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 9:01pm
Had a chat with him here in Cairns and must say he is quite unaffected by his success .
Gee Gee View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gee Gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 10:22pm
agree goldy.

laid back fella, loves a drink   
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

You had a bad weekend mate? Particularly narky today.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 10:46pm

You had a bad weekend mate? Particularly narky today.

I doubt I am anymore narky than usual. Smile

I am not a fan of the Australian way of training or campaigning quality racehorses.

I am absolutely certain that they butcher good quality middle distant and staying types.

reductio ad absurdum
WarriSymbol View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarriSymbol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 11:23pm

I am not a fan of the Australian way of training or campaigning quality racehorses.

I am absolutely certain that they butcher good quality middle distant and staying types.

As you seem to know something they all don't, when are you taking out your trainers licence?
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by WarriSymbol WarriSymbol wrote:

As you seem to know something they all don't, when are you taking out your trainers licence?

Really ?

What sort of debating point it that ?

Clearly you do not watch the sport.

reductio ad absurdum
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 12:59pm

Weld’s Manalapan joins Maher stable

Dermot Weld’s lightly-raced Irish stayer Manalapan is set to join the Ciaron Maher stable for an Australian campaign.

The six-year-old has form around the likes of Pale Mimosa and Mutual Regard and could target races like the Moonee Valley Cup and Geelong Cup.

“He does have the ability, I think he’s had a few issues ... so he’s a little bit behind in his preparation,” Maher told Racing.com’s Racing Ahead.

“Hopefully he can find a bit of form when he’s fit.

“I’m really looking forward to getting him in the stables.

“Providing he travels well ... we’ll probably nominate him for the Moonee Valley Cup and have a look at that, or maybe the Geelong Cup.”

Manalapan, who has three wins and five placings from 18 starts, has been given 50kg for theMelbourne Cup.

“There’s a fair bit of water to go under the bridge (before thinking about a Melbourne Cup start),” Maher said.

“He’d have to get in and he’d have to be in winning form and probably a realistic chance but all that considered, we’d look at it.”

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 1:18pm

Gilcrist and her Girl tackle Future Stars

Euphrates Girl; Average on the track but a talented show jumper

This weekend is shaping as a big one for Bianca Gilcrist.

On Saturday, she’ll be trackside at Caulfield to watch VRC Oaks winner Set Square, a mare trained my her partner Ciaron Maher, tackle the $3 million Group 1 BMW Caulfield Cup (2400m).

Less than 24 hours later, she’ll saddle up a former Maher-trained mare, Euphrates Girl, in the 1.10m and 1.20m classes at the Port Phillip Show Jumping Club’s Future Stars Show.

While Euphrates Girl may not have possessed Set Square’s talent on the racetrack, Gilchrist fell in love with the daughter of Fraar during her short racing career and has been thrilled with her progression in the show jumping arena.

“She was bred by Lindsay Park and we bought her from them as an unraced three-year-old because she was a half-sister to July, a good jumper we used to have,” Gilcrist said.

“On the first day she entered the stables I said to Ciaron that I loved her and I wanted to take her when she finished racing, thinking that she’d have a long career, as July did.

“I think Michelle Payne rode her in one of her two starts on the track she had and she got off her and said that she was possibly the slowest horse she’d ever sat on but that she was cute.”

After being retired from racing as a three-year-old filly in 2008, Gilcrist quickly transitioned Euphrates Girl into a second career as a show jumper and tasted immediate success.

However racing commitments would soon take over, restricting the amount of time Gilcrist could put into working her team of show jumpers, and she made the tough decision to sell the mare, now known in her second career as April.

But in a fortunate twist of fate, the mare was again offered for sale earlier this year, at a time when Gilcrist was slowly making a return to show jumping.

“She finished racing for us as a three-year-old and she went to Jumping with the Stars the next year and placed third as a four-year-old,” Gilcrist said.

“We got really busy with the racehorses and I stopped competing so I decided to sell her about two years ago.

“It broke my heart to do it but I wasn’t competing on her so I sold her to a young rider.

“She came back up for sale when I was in Queensland this year with Srikandi and I rang Ciaron and he told me that if I really loved her I should buy her back which I did.”

Euphrates Girl’s story is not unique to Maher and Gilcrist; the pair have been instrumental in finding suitable homes for many retired racehorses over the past decade.

Gilchrist believes their success in doing so can be attributed to the early grounding each horse receives prior to entering Maher’s stable, an education regimen very much focussed on flat work that teaches horses to best utilise their amazing physiology.

“All our pre-training is done on an arena and from day one horses learn the basics of dressage,” she said.

“They learn how to bend, flex and use their muscles correctly in the arena before they get to the track.

“The girls that work for us at the farm are either event riders or show riders as opposed to specific track riders and I think this helps.

“By the end of their racing career with us, our horses are pretty well educated and they could almost go out and do a dressage test the day after they retire.

“We do sell a lot of horses on through contacts that either myself or the girls working for us have in the equestrian industry.”

The Future Stars Show is one of the three Port Phillip Show Jumping Club events over the coming months at which Racing Victoria will offer an award, consisting of $100 cash prize and an embroidered Off the Track trophy rug, to the best performed retired racehorse.

Off the Track thoroughbreds will accumulate points based on their performances at each event – the Future Stars Show this weekend, the Agricultural Show in January and the Championship Show in March – with an award to be presented to the best performed retired racehorse overall.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 2:28pm

Ciaron Maher has moved to clarify the circumstances around a recent visit to his stables by Racing Victoria stewards.

The Caulfield trainer spoke out after a report that Peter Moody’s former stables, a section of which he now oversees, had been ‘raided’.

Maher confirmed the stables had been visited by Racing Victoria steward Wade Hadley, but said it was a prearranged visit as part of licensing procedure.

“It was an inspection to get approved so I could start training there,” Maher said. “Every stable needs to be approved before you can start training.

“I rang the stewards. There was no raid. An appointment was made a week earlier so I could get the stables approved.

“When I first went to Robert Smerdon’s the stewards had to come and approve the stables and when I came to Rick Hore-Lacy’s the stewards had to come and approve those stables.”

“It was a licensing thing.”

Maher moved into the stables Moody trained out of until the weeks following the start of his six-month suspension, which commenced following the William Reid Stakes meeting at Moonee Valley on March 24.

Hadley confirmed the April 14 visit and said stewards were content with the circumstances around the stabling arrangement.

“We spoke to Ciaron Maher and Ben Connolly, Ciaron Maher’s racing manager, and prearranged a time to inspect both the stables he is currently based in and the ex-Peter Moody stables,” Hadley said.

“We did a walk through and spoke to be Connolly and Steph Little, an ex-Moody stable employee who is now working for Ciaron Maher.

“It was done as part of the normal licensing process.

“We just wanted to be satisfied that Ciaron Maher was the trainer of the horses (there) and Mr Moody was not. We’re satisfied that is the case.”

subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 4:18pm
Was a truly disgraceful piece of gutter jernalism from Patrick Bartley today. Tabloid style, creating a story where there wasn't one.
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 4:21pm
This is the Bartley article

Racing Victoria stewards inspected the Caulfield stables of Ciaron Maher after reports that suspended trainer Peter Moody had been in the trainer's area at trackwork and present at his former stables.

Maher has taken over part of Moody's stables when the Black Caviar trainer retired after being suspended for six months, with another six months suspended, for cobalt doping of horse Lidari.

But RVL had been contacted by some trainers claiming that he had been attending trackwork and purchasing yearlings.

Racing Victoria's Integrity Department said two stewards attended Maher's Caulfield stables and held a thorough examination of the barns and also monitored the feeding arrangements in place for the horses.

Last month, all of the stables, tack rooms and adjoining rooms were inspected with investigators confirming that the stables had changed in appearance since Moody vacated the stables and retired from racing.

On that day of the inspection, Sarah Moody, wife of Peter, tweeted: "Stewards probed maher stables this morning looking for clues PGM still training there, not everyone lies & deceives, so pleased to be out!". Stewards then held interviews, firstly with stable staff of Maher's and then questioned at length employees who were formerly part of Moody's business.

Wade Hadley, one of the investigators, said the feeding arrangements and the look of the Maher stable were different.

Stewards then interviewed Maher who gave an assurance that he was the designated trainer and not Moody.

Some of the horses in Maher's new stable are part-owned by Moody's wife Sarah, who is a registered thoroughbred owner.

Registered owners are bound by the rules of racing and in this context Sarah Moody has been summoned by stewards to attend an inquiry into social media posts which might be perceived prejudicial to the image of racing.

Sarah Moody's tweets were aimed at Terry Bailey and made reference to Melbourne's gangland underbelly.

Moody, who Fairfax Media believes is not a registered owner, has become a paid ambassador for a corporate bookmaker.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/horseracing/racing-victoria-stewards-raid-maher-stables-20160517-gox91t#ixzz48yhBiZ6U
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 4:22pm

Was a truly disgraceful piece of gutter jernalism from Patrick Bartley today. Tabloid style, creating a story where there wasn't one.

Was it really that bad ?

I read it and found nothing particularly offensive. 
reductio ad absurdum
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 4:24pm
It wasn't newsworthy in the slightest.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 4:26pm
Why is it not news worthy that Victorian Stewards were investigating the possibility that Peter Moody was training some of Mahers horses ?

I find that absolutely news worthy.

reductio ad absurdum
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 4:26pm
And to use the headline Stewards raid Maher stables was pathetic. The Age is basically finished as a paper. This country is deplorable for newspapers. The Australian and the Newscorpse are abysmal and the Age seems hellbent on following them. Take me back to the UK!!! Amazing papers there.
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 4:28pm

Why is it not news worthy that Victorian Stewards were investigating the possibility that Peter Moody was training some of Mahers horses ?

I find that absolutely news worthy.

It is only newsworthy if he was there. Until then, its scuttlebutt. They created a story based on zero fact. That's gossip, not news.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>