Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Michelle Payne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 59>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Fiddlesticks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 10:06am
Originally posted by Geraldo Geraldo wrote:

I regard all jockeys as idiots.  That way, I never get upset with them. 

I am the same, I rarely if ever let them bother me...
Panspermia.
James Bond Esq View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Bond Esq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 10:17am
Originally posted by saintly96 saintly96 wrote:

So JBE, how did she go on Vain Attraction?

You promised to critique her ride, I was looking forward to reading it, and the fallout from your opinion on it.

I thought this thread would have been 15 pages by now (sorry if you have already stated your opinion and I have missed it).

It was so bad, I didn't even think I needed to justify it by commenting.

The only good positive thing I can say is; Michelle was lucky she didn't fall off.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 10:49am

Race 2 - EASY WASTE PLATE - 1200 metres:

Vain Attraction - slow to begin and was then bumped by Flash Of Doubt which shifted out slightly at the start. Rider Michelle Payne reported that the mare was quite agitated pre-race and in her opinion this may have affected its performance; a post race veterinary examination revealed the mare to have the mild thumps.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
James View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 11:09am
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Vain Attraction - slow to begin and was then bumped by Flash Of Doubt which shifted out slightly at the start. Rider Michelle Payne reported that the mare was quite agitated pre-race and in her opinion this may have affected its performance; a post race veterinary examination revealed the mare to have the mild thumps.

Has won once out of it's last 17 runs and is a back marker. I would be more surprised if it won than if it lost.
hatch View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 11:09am
Originally posted by James Bond Esq James Bond Esq wrote:

Originally posted by saintly96 saintly96 wrote:

So JBE, how did she go on Vain Attraction?

You promised to critique her ride, I was looking forward to reading it, and the fallout from your opinion on it.

I thought this thread would have been 15 pages by now (sorry if you have already stated your opinion and I have missed it).

It was so bad, I didn't even think I needed to justify it by commenting.

The only good positive thing I can say is; Michelle was lucky she didn't fall off.

I have the answer to the mystery , why these people go on and on , they have dementia , they forget they have told us all about it about 40 times,   proof of it was ,when they told us about how bad one ride was multiple times , when asked what was the fault with the ride, they had forgotten what it was ,they had no answer at all, poor buggers ,sad really.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 11:12am
Originally posted by James James wrote:

Has won once out of it's last 17 runs and is a back marker. I would be more surprised if it won than if it lost.

they may as well begin a cull in Australia and ship out any and all horses who are back markers to somewhere like Hong Kong or Singapore...they've got buckleys of winning races here the way the tracks are presented...
Panspermia.
James View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Fiddlesticks Fiddlesticks wrote:

Originally posted by James James wrote:

they may as well begin a cull in Australia and ship out any and all horses who are back markers to somewhere like Hong Kong or Singapore...they've got buckleys of winning races here the way the tracks are presented...

Best thing you can do is back on pace horses as they will always win more than those that settle at the back of the field and need luck and/or the pace on up front.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Bond Esq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 11:18am
Back markers have little to no chance in Australia unless they have the finish of Kiwi.
hatch View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 11:24am
Terrible disease that dementia , our big race winners, Cox Plate , Caulfield Cup ,have you forgotten already , came from well back and wide.
James View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 11:28am
Originally posted by hatch hatch wrote:

Terrible disease that dementia , our big race winners, Cox Plate , Caulfield Cup ,have you forgotten already , came from well back and wide.

Of course horses can win from the back but is common sense to realize if you are near the front you will not need the pace on up front or luck in running as was the case in the often talked about Azkadellia race.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Bond Esq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 11:35am

they weren't won by Australian horses.

they were won by horses that were effectively 4 to 5 lengths better than any other horse in that field.

given the NORMAL racing on a day to day basis; Australian race tracks favour those horses in the top 4 or 5 who can effectively sit and sprint best.
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 11:50am
Its a skill to settle and race on pace. It is a flaw in a horse to not have the ability to race forward. They deserve to lose more than they win.
hatch View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

Its a skill to settle and race on pace. It is a flaw in a horse to not have the ability to race forward. They deserve to lose more than they win.

I think a lot of big race winners come from well back , Super Impose was a great finisher from well back .
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Bond Esq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 1:24pm

I think a lot of big race winners come from well back , Super Impose was a great finisher from well back .

But it is not the normal pattern of racing in Australia.

Winners come from the first 5 or 6 around the turn.
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 1:28pm
In the Michelle Payne thread, racing in the back half of the field is poison and the best way to not win in Australia, but in the Gai thread it's all about her ruining horses by racing them onpaceConfused
James View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by Browndog Browndog wrote:

In the Michelle Payne thread, racing in the back half of the field is poison and the best way to not win in Australia, but in the Gai thread it's all about her ruining horses by racing them onpaceConfused

Apparently Gai is a butcher but I will back her horses any day of the week rather than take my chances on a back marker.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Bond Esq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 1:32pm
Agreed. Gai seems to win lots.
James View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 1:38pm

Agreed. Gai seems to win lots.

Holds her own I hear.
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 1:51pm

In the Michelle Payne thread, racing in the back half <span style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">of the field</span> is poison and the best way to not win in Australia, but in the Gai thread it's all about her ruining horses by racing them onpaceConfused

You are more than aware there is a difference between racing on pace and leading at all costs, so don't play the dumb guy role, it doesn't suit you....although you have played it well in this thread.....
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 2:01pm
Not that tired, pathetic, arrogant old "If you don't agree with me, you must be having a lend" line?

It gets a run often on these threadsLOL  
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 2:05pm

Not that tired, pathetic, arrogant old "If you don't agree with me, you must be having a lend" line?

It gets a run often on these threadsLOL  

No, more along the lines of misconstruing arguments to suit your point
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 2:10pm
Are you saying that people don't say here that Gai brakes horses down driving them too hard under the 'bone and muscle'(TJ and her words - on her website) routine to make them run strongly onpace?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 2:14pm

they weren't won by Australian horses.

they were won by horses that were effectively 4 to 5 lengths better than any other horse in that field.

unbelievably I'm going to have to agree with you there 100%...Ermm

Panspermia.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 2:15pm

good grief put down the Carlton lite and grab a pepsi will ya..talking rubbish now..Confused
Panspermia.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 2:18pm

that's not quite true Bee Dog...

she races ALL her horses on pace when quite likely a lot of them resent it and need time to come into a race from back a bit, she's a bully and forces them to race unnaturally, some like it and go on granted, but it's silly and arrogant to think every horse that comes in her yard will race successfully the same way..

that's the gripe..
Panspermia.
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 2:20pm
I am saying that Gai has a lead at all costs attitude on her horses, and that is far different than teaching them to settle 3rd, 4th or 5th in the run.
There are numerous other factors to Gai burning her horses out, but you are undermining the racing intelligence of people like Sunline and Group 1 by bringing Gai into this discussion.

Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 2:20pm
If it is a 'flaw' to race horses back in the field, how else do you get horses to win, who are not naturally gifted with speed and acceleration, to race onpace in every instance?
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by Fiddlesticks Fiddlesticks wrote:

good grief put down the Carlton lite and grab a pepsi will ya..talking rubbish now..Confused

Um, please argue the case for tactical speed at the gates not being a skill. An ability to take a position in running is most definitely a positive in a racehorse.
Looking forward to you proving this wrong.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 2:22pm
Going for 4 in a row here...

but if I had horses who were great backmarkers, I would only race them in the cooler months, and I would pick and chose the tracks that favoured those that could come home from rearwards, the wet levels the tracks out and we can see more winners off the pace than on drier tracks...unfortunately the idiots here that love to move the rails around a lot, seem to do so more and more in winter, whish quite often negates this backmarker bias...clowns, they should never move the rail when the tracks are wet, simply allow the jockeys to find the best going period..
Panspermia.
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 2:24pm

If it is a 'flaw' to race horses back in the field, how else do you get horses to win, who are not naturally gifted with speed and acceleration, to race onpace in every instance?

I am not saying to ride the horse differently, but if you own a horse that gets back and runs on......um lets say Maglissa, then you have to learn to accept you will lose more races than you will win.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 59>