Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Michelle Payne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 59>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 5:30pm
Fiesty lass, isn't she.
Sunline...simply supreme
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 5:33pm

Michelle Payne has created a stir in England by reportedly leaving a Shergar Cup media function after being kept twice as long as expected despite telling organisers she was unwell.

Payne and her brother-in-law Kerrin McEvoy are both scheduled to ride in the international jockeys' team challenge at Ascot on Saturday (Sunday AEST).

McEvoy pulled out of the media event citing illness but Payne said she went on the understanding it would take two hours which stretched to four.

"They wouldn't let me leave,'' Payne told NewsCorp.

"I was up all night sick and told the lady when we left for the press conference."

Payne said she was told after four hours she still could not leave as there were more interviews to be held.

She said if she did not improve she may not be able to ride at the meeting.

"If I don't improve I probably won't have a choice anyway. Worst part is Kerrin's sick too," she said.

3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 5:38pm
Pocket pizzing sure takes a long time over there.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

I'd say she won't be embarking on a post-racing career in the Diplomatic Corps.
She wouldn't need too would she? Considering she could buy and sell most of us, Michelle could do whatever she likes when finished with riding/training, but she's also very diplomatic when needs be. Go Michelle, hope you're fit enough to slay them at RA.

Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 9:09pm
Good on you Michell

Bit odd that there's no thread about Kieren no showing up at all but she's cops it for putting in an effort
Heavenly Glow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavenly Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 11:09pm
Sounds like a massive beat up. Perhaps there is something we don't know?
But on face value it looks as though Payne is being unfairly treated.

max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 11:11pm
It might depend if she reprised her "youse can all get stuffed" performance.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 2:44pm
Seriously, this has to be a front page piece of news!

North Korea, same sex marriage, drug importation, ISIS, they are trivial when compared to this news Wacko

If Michelle had balls and a penis, we would be embracing her as sticking it to the establishment, but because she has reproductive organs, she is a lousy, foul mouthed b%#ch.

All I know is she wants to keep her nose clean this spring because on his Ascot run Kaspersky is a hope of winning anything he contests this spring.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Sneck View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

Seriously, this has to be a front page piece of news!

North Korea, same sex marriage, drug importation, ISIS, they are trivial when compared to this news Wacko

If Michelle had balls and a penis, we would be embracing her as sticking it to the establishment, but because she has reproductive organs, she is a lousy, foul mouthed b%#ch.

All I know is she wants to keep her nose clean this spring because on his Ascot run Kaspersky is a hope of winning anything he contests this spring.
Absolute dribble.
anabel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anabel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 9:07pm
Will not ride at the Shergar Cup tonight & has been replaced. (tweet from Racingpost).
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

A little unfair, I think, it would have had a lot of people scratching their heads wondering why anyone would launch into vitriol, when they had just had the remarkable good fortune to win the nation's premier race on an absolute bolter, whether male or female, black, white, or brindle. It was inexplicable stuff.
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 9:27pm
Give it up Max. That topic has been done to death and as much as you obviously enjoy it, "vitriolic" (lol) regurgitation of nonsense doesn't make it any more credible.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 9:32pm
You, and all like you, can "get stuffed", blinder, so there !
WarriSymbol View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarriSymbol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 9:48pm
Hollie Doyle to replace Michelle Payne in Shergar Cup series at Ascot.
"It is with great disappointment that because of a virus I have contracted since arriving in England, I am unable to ride in the Shergar Cup," Payne said. "I saw the doctor yesterday and we had both hoped the medication prescribed would kick in, but unfortunately that has not been the case and I am not well enough to compete today."
Payne, who now combines riding with training, added: "I had been looking forward to being part of this special event for a long time. Joining the girls' team had been had been a major goal of mine over the last 12 months, since missing the opportunity due to injuries sustained in a fall last year. I would like to thank everyone for their support and encouragement and would love to return another time."
Nick Smith, director of racing and communications at Ascot, added: "It's such a shame for Michelle that she's unable to ride today. She's been looking forward to it all year.
"We hope she will be able to participate in the event another time and in the meantime hope that the British audience get to see her next week at Newbury, where she's due to ride Summer Mile second Kaspersky.
"We are very grateful to Hollie for stepping in."
Apprenticed to leading trainer Richard Hannon, Doyle has ridden 35 winners in 2017 and will take over Payne's five mounts, which include the Harry Dunlop-trained Early Morning, who appears her best chance as he is 6-1 for the Dubai Duty Free Shergar Cup Mile (2.50).
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 10:35pm
No mention of Kieran who was too ill to attend the Press conference?
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
room for a slew View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote room for a slew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 11:09pm
Seriously who cares about her and what she does or doesn't do for whatever reasons.

More important things in your own lives and that of your friends/family/community and globally compared to if she does this or doesn't.

Any news info whinging whatever about her is tiresome and rather irrelevant when put into perspective
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 11:23pm
You're not going to watch the movie ?
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

No mention of Kieran who was too ill to attend the Press conference?

He is riding tonight
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 4:07pm
Michelle Payne has given the best indication yet that she is close to retiring from race riding.

The Melbourne Cup winner revealed at Sunday night's Scobie Breasley Medal count that she is looking at this Spring Carnival, which officially kicked off on Saturday, as potentially her last as a rider.

Payne now also trains her own team of horses and said seeing them do well, and the prospect of more feature success aboard English galloper Kaspersky, is what is keeping her going.

"I might only have this spring left (as a rider)," she said.

"It will be hard to walk away (from riding) because it is an industry that I am passionate about, but I want to make the most of it."

Payne created worldwide headlines when she became the first female jockey to win the Melbourne Cup in 2015, having partnered $101 shot Prince Of Penzance to victory.

She rebounded from a career-threatening stomach injury just over 12 months ago to return to the saddle and this year rode Kaspersky at Royal Ascot.

Payne, who now trains a team of around 14 at Ballarat, revealed the pressures of combining training and riding had got to her, but a recent staff meeting had reinvigorated the stable.

"On the bright side, I can't wait to knuckle down and train the horses I have because that's what we have been working towards," Payne said.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 5:13pm
Great achievement by the Little Lady , Michelle.      I wish her well in her training career.
Has endured Tragedy in life as well as the Highlights and fits that saying :-    It aint the dog in the fight , It's the fight in the dog.
   May life be good to her.
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 5:41pm
With respect to Michelle, does this vindicate the NSW rule of racing that you can't hold a jockey and trainer's licence at the same time? Sounds like it has taken a toll on her.

I really don't have an opinion on the rule and to an extent think people should be able to do what they like as clients will vote with their feet if they think someone with a dual licence isn't doing a good enough job of one or both.
Sunline...simply supreme
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 5:43pm
Not many captain-coaches around in professional sport these days, might tell us something.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 5:56pm
One's hard enough without combining the two, with wasting , riding, and training, staff, can be a tough gig imo.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 6:16pm
It's a tough gig, you have to be tough to do it.
Only recently saw Sally Wynne get her first training winner, also rides and is clerk of course at Pakenham and Cranbourne on days she doesn't have a ride
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 1:31pm
Disappointing for Michelle that she won’t be riding today
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 1:20pm
Her Fiorente 2YO colt Templar on debut today was a very nice 3rd behind Graceful Storm at Sandown.
She didn't get a clear run on him until the final furlong and he lengthened nicely.

I hope she can get a win or 2 with him soon so he gets a chance in a race like the Sires.
Seems to have heaps of up side and did look a little ....um... tubby before the race.
I started with nothing and still have most of it left
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 1:28pm
Certainly bred to be a 2yo.
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 2:24pm
Will certainly take benefit from today, she seems to have a couple of very handy 2yos in her yard
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by scamanda scamanda wrote:

Her Fiorente 2YO colt Templar on debut today was a very nice 3rd behind Graceful Storm at Sandown.
She didn't get a clear run on him until the final furlong and he lengthened nicely.

I hope she can get a win or 2 with him soon so he gets a chance in a race like the Sires.
Seems to have heaps of up side and did look a little ....um... tubby before the race.

Templar down the straight 5 tomorrow and in with a big EW chance imo.
Just needs to get a clear run at them when it counts.

I started with nothing and still have most of it left
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 7:56pm
Busy girl tomorrow
Rides Templar at Flemington (for herself) then off to Werribee to ride another of hers Condover Hall then back to Flemington to ride one for Patrick
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 59>