Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Michelle Payne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 59>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Michelle Payne
    Posted: 26 Jun 2023 at 7:13pm
Thank you djebel, that was a great watch.  Thumbs Up
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2023 at 6:50pm
reductio ad absurdum
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 12:45pm

Serlik set for new home in Iran

Half-million-dollar yearling Serlik failed to make the racetrack for Michelle Payne but the expensive purchase may still positively influence her growing stable.

Serlik made headlines when bought as a yearling by Sardar Azmoun, an Iranian footballer who contacted Payne after watching the film Ride Like A Girl, which depicted her journey to Melbourne Cup success aboard Prince Of Penzance in 2015.

The Frankel colt won an 800-metre Cranbourne barrier trial in March 2021 but required a wind operation and experienced a series of niggling issues which ultimately saw Payne end his racing career and start another chapter.

"He's currently standing at stud at my farm," Payne quipped.

Azmoun owns more than 50 horses across Iran and Australia and Serlik will soon be exported to Iran and reside on Azmoun's stud farm.

"He has built beautiful stables in Iran, has really good systems over there for his breeding and is really into it. He's excited to get him over there," Payne said.

The younger brother of Ciaron Maher and David Eustace's Group-winning mare Steinem, Serlik has served one retired broodmare on Payne's property and could possibly be mated with a second mare before relocating to Asia.

"I'm excited to be left with hopefully one, or possibly two, of his progeny. He has actually got a good genetic match up with the mare of mine he served," Payne said.

"It was so funny because I have somebody who does the match-ups for me and they said he was a really good match-up so who knows!"

Payne has 20 horses at her Ballarat property, having had that number reduced when her highest-rated horse, Pondus, sustained fatal injuries in a 1300-metre Ararat jumpout on November 7.

While the vacancy left by Pondus will be difficult to immediately fill, Payne has multiple horses owned by Azmoun - namely Oubitsa and Arabica - who will be given their chance to progress through the grades over the summer.

"Arabica hasn't shown us a lot in her trials but I really think she has something to offer," Payne said of her imported German mare who was sired by Starspangledbanner.

"I'm hopeful that with another trial under her belt then we'll be able to get her to the races and see what she can do.

"Oubitsa is an unraced three-year-old colt that is about a month away. We also have a nice horse trialling this week called Lonrik, he's by Lonhro and his half-sister (Matron Bullwinkel) won during Melbourne Cup Week."

Azmoun was named in Iran's 2022 World Cup squad on Sunday, but his selection was the subject of controversy.

While the 27-year-old is among the country's highest-profile footballers, he disobeyed instructions from Iran's football federation which discouraged athletes from speaking out over the death of Mahsa Amini, who died in police custody in September.

Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 2:10pm

Cancelled flight can't stop Payne raid

A cancelled flight might've cost her a treble, but that little hiccup wasn't enough to wipe the smile off Michelle Payne's face as the Melbourne Cup-winning jockey collected a double at Morphettville on Saturday, snapping a 15-month drought in the process.

Like many around Australia, Payne's trip to Adelaide was delayed as a result of the ongoing airport chaos and it meant she missed her ride on The Guava in the opening race, which saluted at the precise moment her re-booked flight was taking off.

But that disappointment didn't last long as Payne made it to Morphettville in time to make amends and collect the fifth race with Another Rally at $5 before snaring the last with Mr Pickwick to cap off a big day.

While not quite the perfect outcome, Payne couldn't have done anymore, repaying the faith of her brother Patrick as she continues to ramp up her return to race-riding after spending the past couple of years establishing her training business.

Another Rally was the 36-year-old's first victory in the saddle since March 21, 2021 – and her first in South Australia since April 18, 2015.

Great to have you back riding winners at @SAJockeyClub, @mj_payne ✅???? pic.twitter.com/EHcSpX6R7x

— Racing SA #ThoroughCareMonth (@RacingSA) June 25, 2022

Given all the challenges earlier in the day, Payne was excited to experience that winning feeling again.

"There's nothing like that adrenaline rush of being out there and getting over the line in front, especially when it's for family," Payne said.

"I had two flights cancelled – Qantas and Virgin. I rang Patrick and he was a bit of a smart-arse actually, he said maybe I did him a favour because he got Todd Pannell, one of the leading riders over here, for the first race.

"I was just taking off and it cut out the last 100m. I didn't actually know if it won until I landed.

"When that one won I thought ‘I'm going to have to show him'.

"It's good to get here for (Another Rally and Mr Pickwick), they were great wins."

After an eight-month break and only a handful of rides in the last few months, Payne is looking to increase her workload and spend some more time in the saddle and this could be the perfect launch pad.

3 on the day for Patrick Payne as @mj_payne rides a double at @SAJockeyClub ????✅✅ pic.twitter.com/KnkbSkG37e

"It's not through a lack of wanting to get out and ride, I've just been focusing on getting my team set up at home and getting that going," she said.

"It's been a bit hard to do both so it's good to be back in the full swing of things a bit more now and hopefully I'll get some more rides.

"It's great to win for Patrick, who has been very kind to me over the years and very kind to me here again today."

Payne wasn't the only Victorian-based trainer to break a drought as Lindsey Smith secured his first winner in Adelaide with Sacred Palace prevailing in the sixth race.

Sacred Palace with a nice turn of foot to score at @SAJockeyClub ???? pic.twitter.com/WLw3hVA0OX

The 10-time Group 1 winner had six placings from 12 previous starts in the city and his run of near misses looked set to continue as odds-on favourite No Drama was pipped in the opening event.

But Scared Palace ensured he didn't make the drive back to Warrnambool empty-handed, the $3.20 favourite well-handled by Jarrod Fry to beat Aiguilette by a half-length.

"It's just good this horse was able to get the money," Smith said.

"It looked his race on paper with the weights and the little drop in class from Caulfield and a little bit of give in the ground.

"The two-year-old that got beat, he was off his game a little bit – he got a bit agitated being down there on his own (in the tie-up stalls) for a couple of hours."

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 2:04pm

Michelle Paynes satellite stable in Queensland is off and running. 

Payne has a handful of horses in work up north currently with last start winner Templar to join the team this week. Her first runner was at the Sunshine Coast on Sunday when Smokin Pierro finished fourth.

It gets so strong every year (in Victoria) and I think Smokin Pierro hes a nice horse, but I think we will be able to have a lot of fun with him up there, Payne said.

I just thought if hes flying and we decided to bring him back down for some of the country cups or something we can still do that.

Hes really thrived in the warmer climate and has been up a fair while and hes been racing really well here but I thought a change would do him the world of good and it seems to have worked.

He went really well over the shorter distance yesterday, usually hes best over 2000 metres so for him to be hitting the line like that shows he is enjoying his racing up there.

Templar has returned after more than two years on the sidelines with a win and two placings from his three starts, and heads to the Sunshine Coast after scoring by 2.75 lengths at Echuca last month.

Hes been in work a long time because he had to rehab from his injury and he was still doing his work fine and won last start, but you could just see he was getting a bit sick of it, Payne admitted.

So Ive just given him two weeks out in the paddock and hes thriving and the change going up there and working at the beach it would just be a really good move.

He was bred up there and his owner is keen to see him race up there as well, so I just thought it would be a really good fit and hed be a lot of fun.

While COVID-19 restrictions have restricted Payne from keeping an eye on her Queensland team, Payne has left the stable in the capable hands of good friend and former jockey Nikita Beriman.

Shes doing a really great job, shes 100 per cent in in the whole idea and the team, Payne said of Berimans role.

She is giving it her all and I couldnt be happier.

Before we rented the stables I went up and had a look at them with Nikita.

Theyre beautiful just off course at Caloundra at the Sunshine Coast and they have paddocks they can go out to during the day, which is a lot like my farm so its the way I like to train.

The facilities are at the Sunshine Coast and we went down to the beach where we take the horses and its ideal for what we want.

It would be nice to be up there with Nikita, it would have been nice to go up in winter time that was my plan but unfortunately we were stuck here but hopefully in the future.

As much as I love training in Ballarat its just nice if we want that option.

You still have horses down here that love the wet ground but then youve got the option if they are good enough for the carnival we can take up there.

In other stable news, Payne is set to be without two of her key players for this years spring carnival after setbacks with Frankel colt Serlik and German import Arabica.

Unfortunately Serlik had some complications with his tie back so he is out for the spring, Payne revealed.

Its just one of things that can happen with the operation but hopefully he can come through it and we can get him back into training once hes over it.

Arabica had a little bit of a hold up in quarantine, she didnt pass the blood test initially and then we had her retested and she was ok so shes been put back a month to come out.

It was looking like not being able to come to Australia so at least she has passed that.

She is probably out for the spring, but I thought she was potentially a better autumn horse anyway so I am looking forward to that.

Im looking at buying a horse from New Zealand which can hopefully come over and race for the spring so that will be a bit of fun.

In more positive news, Payne was back in the saddle for the first time on Saturday after being sidelined after being kicked by a horse in June.

Its great to be back, it took me a little longer than I thought but I just wasnt able to train on my leg and it was really sore for a while and still has a bruise and a hematoma there now, said Payne.

Its something I am still getting worked on but am able to get back and get fit and it was great to be back out there on the weekend  especially at The Valley it was beautiful weather and the track is such a beautiful one to ride on.

Payne rode her own horse Mark The Horse to finish fifth.

Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 12:27am
I wish her all the very best of luck and success, shes such a brave, resilient woman. 
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 1:04pm

Michelle Payne is hopeful of having her first runner from her Queensland stable in the next fortnight.

The Melbourne Cup-winning jockey announced she had set up digs up north earlier this year, with friend and former jockey Nikita Berriman heading up the operation.

Payne said she was hopeful talented five-year-old Templar would be her first runner from her Sunshine Coast stable, but it all would depend on COVID-19 restrictions.

Templar is a horse I really want to take up there, Payne said.

Templar will be the first for the stable if we are allowed to go, on July 11. We will have to see.

Id love to ride him up there. Hes a really exciting horse, Ive had him from a baby. I feel like he is only finally maturing.

He ran third off a two year break. He has really come on from that run.

Payne was also hopeful recent online purchase Halogen would also venture up north for the stable.

The half-brother to Group 1-winner Sunlight was knocked down to her for $60,000 after originally being purchased as a yearling for $650,000.

Payne said her Sunshine Coast base would give her stable extra options come the spring.

I think (Queensland is) a good avenue to have for horses that dont like the wet tracks. Horses that might be a bit better through the spring time too, because its so strong down here during the spring, she said.

Its a great avenue to have horses that go up there and have some fun. Its really exciting for us.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2021 at 11:18pm
Melbourne Cup-winning jockey Michelle Payne has escaped serious injury despite being kicked in the face and leg by a horse at Ballarat.

Payne, 35, sustained cuts to her chin and face, as well as heavy bruising on her legs, in the incident early on Tuesday morning.

Despite the injuries, the dual-license holder incredibly went on to ride four of her own horses before going to Ballarat hospital for scans and treatment.

It wasnt one of my own (horses), a really, really quiet horse and it got a fright I fell underneath him and when he got a fright he panicked and kicked me in the chin and kicked me in the leg, Payne said.

Initially, I couldnt get up because my leg was so sore and I thought I was being a sook, but I was able to ride more horses the blood was coming out of my chin but was still OK.

I went to the emergency (after track work) and they stitched me up and did a head scan, they were happy enough with my leg, it was just the bruising, like a massive corkie.

Payne was lucky the kick to the head landed on her jaw, which was somewhat cushioned by the chin guard on her helmet, and not the face.

The bruising on the leg and subsequent swelling was the worst of the damage, with Payne warned to be mindful of Compartment syndrome.

A build-up of pressure from internal bleeding or swelling of tissues can trigger the excruciatingly painful and dangerous condition, which jockey Michael Walker endured last month.

READ: Michael Walker to undergo third leg operation in five days

I saw the doctor again yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon at the races at Ballarat he said to be really careful with the bruising because its similar with what happened with Michael Walker, Payne said.

If it continues to bleed in the muscle it could be dangerous.

Ive been icing it flat out and its come down my leg was twice the size as it is normally, at one point, but its definitely coming down.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2021 at 10:04pm
Yes aa and also the leg which doctors are monitoring for any complications, similar to Micheal Walker's issues.

Good to see the old adage that most families have just one champion in a generation (siblings), being upheld here.

Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2021 at 9:54pm
Is it right Michelle got kicked in the face a day or so ago ?
animals before people.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2021 at 1:51pm

Michelle Payne will train Sunlights half-brother Halogen after purchasing him on an online auction this week.

The three-yea-old son of Sebring out of the mare Solar Charged was knocked down to Payne for $60,000.

He was sold as a yearling for $650,000 and was trained by Tony McEvoy.

Halogen has failed to reach the heights of his Group 1-winning sister, with his maiden win at Murray Bridge last year his only victory in eight starts.

Ive been doing a bit of work for McEvoys, some gallops and stuff, and I really love working for the stable, they have some beautiful horses, Payne said.

I rode this horse in track work and fell in love with him. Hes a beautiful, kind natured horse. I just thought being trained on the farm, out in the paddocks in a smaller stable (might help).

I can ride him in track work and ride him in the races. I thought he was a horse that could be a bit of fun.

Having ridden him in track work, I thought hed be a nice horse to acquire to our stables.

Payne said shares were still available for anyone interested in racing the horse.

Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 1:54pm

Michelle Payne is looking forward to welcoming a new addition to her team in time for the Spring Carnival in the form of German filly Arabica.

The Ballarat-based trainer acquired the daughter of Starspangledbanner after an eight-length win at just her second start.

"She looks a nice filly, I loved her and she was reasonably priced," Payne said of her latest acquisition.

"We were keen to snap her up quickly after that win and the vets were pleased with her.

"She will go to Harry Eustace now, but she can't get on the plane until the August shipment.

"She'll be out of quarantine by late August for the spring."

Payne will be hoping Arabica can live up to the heights of last week's Ascot Gold Cup winner Subjectivist, who she tried to buy last year from the Mark Johnston stable.

"Mick Sharkie has been on the lookout for a horse for me up and racing in Europe or New Zealand," explained Payne.

"We tried to buy Subjectivist last year, but they wanted too much money.

"He's won two Group 1s since and the Ascot Gold Cup last week."

Payne said no plans had been made as to where Arabica may be seen in the spring.

"She will already be a four-year-old," she said.

"We will have a look where to run her, she has won over 1500 metres, but I think she will get 1800 to 2000 metres or beyond, so it will be interesting where we end up."

Arabica will be raced in the silks of Ernest and Ronda Clarke, who also purchased Kaspersky for Payne in the early part of her training career.

"I've had a lot of interested people, but the Clarkes own a big percentage and have been fantastic supporters of mine," Payne said of the owners.

"She is one of the most exciting horses I've had for sure.

"I was keen to get something up and going, I only have a small team now and quite a few babies, so was hoping to get a horse to race."

Payne currently has six racehorses in work, with a further three in pre-training. She purchased 10 yearlings this season, but it is an unraced Frankel two-year-old named Serlik who has her most excited.

Serlik cost $500,000 at the Inglis Easter Yearling Sale and is owned by Sardar Azmoun, a professional Iranian footballer. Serlik is also the full brother to the Ciaron Maher and David Eustace-trained Steinem.

"He unfortunately had to have a wind operation, but the vets say it's one of the best they have seen," Payne said.

"He is back working and improved out of sight, you can feel a big motor when you ride him and is a very exciting horse that could be something special."

Serlik won a Cranbourne barrier trial in March.

Payne rode her brother Patrick's horse Rubisaki to finish second at Flemington on Saturday, while her own horse Mark the Horse won on the same day at Donald.

Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 4:31pm
We've scaled right back, [old buggers] but if I had another, I'd send it to Michelle and Nikita.......no worries......good luck to the ladies, they'll do well, real well.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 2:45pm

Michelle Payne is set to expand her training operation to Queensland with a good friend already locked in to run her northern stable.

The Melbourne Cup-winner is eager to add a Sunshine Coast base to her current property at Ballarat, Nottingham Farm.

Paynes long-term friend and fellow Group 1-winning jockey Nikita Beriman will head up the Queensland stable, which Payne is hopeful will be up and firing heading into this years Winter Carnival.

"Ive always loved Queensland racing and the Sunshine Coast is a really good course which will add a new dynamic for our owners," Payne said.

"Weve already got some owners up there and with the warmer weather it adds a different dimension to how we can train our horses, especially the babies."

Beriman retired from race riding in September 2019 after being hindered with injuries and has since been living up in Queensland.

Payne says she couldnt think of anyone better to run her new base.

"Nikita and I have been good friends for twenty years since her first race ride when she was 15 years-old and we were next to each other in the barriers," Payne said.

"Shes an exceptional horsewoman and once she sets her mind on something theres not many people who are more determined.

"Shes also spent a lot of time in the area amongst the local racing community and has those connections and has already be scouting boxes. Ill head up there next weekend to hopefully lock something in."

Payne says she will herself remain based at Ballarat and while she will be expanding interstate she wont be taking on too many horses.

"Im not going to be taking on big numbers still early in my training career but think this is the perfect next step. Im keen to stick to around 10 to 20 just so I can continue to be hands on with them.

"Im still learning so much but Im determined to keep getting better and giving my owners the best opportunities with their horses."

Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 11:22am
Tough and talented, the best quinella.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 10:36am
Good on her. 
animals before people.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 9:28am
Very brave (and lucky) to come back from that terrible fall. Must be a toughie.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 8:45am

A little over five years ago, the world got to watch Michelle Paynes deeds and to hear her words after she became the first woman to win the Melbourne Cup. 

She did so on a 100/1 horse called Prince Of Penzance before she famously called out those in horse racing that doubted a womans prowess in the saddle.

Her latest achievement may not reach such international recognition (she still gets daily messages from fans all throughout Europe), but for Payne, her new award, the Order of Australia Medal, will be every bit as cherished as is her miniature gold Cup.

"Its a great sport and something Ive grown up with, something that I love and been passionate about my whole life so to receive a reward in honour of that is really special to me," Payne told Racing.com. 

"I feel really proud and honored to receive it. To be going into that stage of being a role-model for the younger generation coming through people with dreams. Showing people that anything Is possible if you are prepared to work really hard and persevere through the tough times.

"Thats what makes me really proud and if anyone can gain anything from that, it would be really special to me."

Unlike winning the Melbourne Cup, which she had dreamed about winning all her life and which was the subject of the film Ride Like A Girl, a national award such as an OAM was something she had never contemplated.

"Its definitely not an award that I thought in my wildest dreams I would be achieving," she said.

"I know Neville Wilson did a few years ago as my sister Margaret managed him at the time and she was really proud of him so to be following in Nevilles footsteps is really special as he was an amazing jockey and amazing icon for Australian racing.

"The main messages Id like people to hear and see from my achievements is also, I try really hard.

"I think there is so much in that. You might not be blessed with the most amount of ability but I think if you really try hard there is so much to be said for that so that is one of the biggest lessons I would pass down."

Payne, of course, was famous to a degree even before she won a Melbourne Cup. The youngest of 10 children eight of which became licensed jockeys she pays much of the credit for her success to her family, who raised her after their mother Mary died in a car accident when Michelle was six months old.

"I was really fortunate to have role models before me, she said. 

"They really had to break ground for us and I was so lucky to see my older brothers and especially my sisters, who had to do it really tough.

"But they were amazing as they just went out there and did it and I think having them in my life has really paved the way for me.

"So, if I can carry that onto the next generation and showing any woman who is really wanting to achieve in our sport, it is possible to achieve at the highest level."

Payne told doubters of female riders to "get stuffed" moments after her Melbourne Cup win and she said she did so after years of watching her fellow female riders struggle for equality.

"I think that was just a bit of an off-the-cuff moment and I am really proud and happy that I said it," she said.

"There is more behind what I said. It was a chauvinistic sport for me coming through the jockeys ranks. There were so many challenges so that I faced and a lot of the other girls that I had ridden against faced and I thought it was the perfect time to stand up and say something once Id won the greatest race, the Melbourne Cup.

"It was something that I really stand by strong and the girls are now really flying in Australia and that is so great to see.

"Its a new era and its really exciting because we have so many girls coming into the industry."

Payne, who has overcome a stream of injuries as well as doubters throughout her career, said she wont be the only one shocked by the award.

"I think dad (Paddy) will be surprised along with the rest of the family, as I was," she said. 

"It came as a huge surprise to me but hopefully they will be proud.

"They know it hasnt always been an easy road through to winning the Melbourne Cup and the responsibilities that come after that but hopefully they are proud of how I conducted myself.

"I think that is one of my greatest achievement is perseverance. I persevered on a dream and it might have seemed hopeless at times and there was a time when I did think it was time for me to give up but definitely that ambition to achieve at the highest level probably stubbornness got me there."

Payne, 35, said she will continue to ride while she can, but said the long game revolves around a training career.

"I am loving the dual-license of training and riding, I was probably planning on giving up rising a few years ago but I am just loving it so much being able to work with these horses every day and ride them in the race and to really feel the benefits of knowing a horse so well and to see that on race day is just something I just absolutely love," she said.

"I know its not going to last forever so I am enjoying it while I can and while I am young enough and fit enough but definitely the next step is to go into training full time."

"For me, what I love is being able to treat the horses like horses. They go out into the paddocks every day and have that country, farm lifestyle. Looking forward to that next chapter and hopefully I find that champion in the future.

"Basically, I really want to get the highest quality stable here. To achieve at the highest level I think everyone aims at that. I love the Cox Plate thats one of my favourite races - and to have a horse run in that would be a dream come true.

"It is hard to believe how life has turned out. But it is a true testament to, if you try hard and work really hard, just what is possible."

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

Whilst she appears to be more successful with middle distance runners, there isn't enough data to be sure. The place return isn't that hot, so I think too early to judge.

Return on investment is huge over the last 12 months, particularly when you know (for the most part) not to have a penny on until hers get over 2000m or so.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by furious furious wrote:

Maybe Djebel can be happy now!

I have been happy with Payne for quite some time.

?
reductio ad absurdum
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 3:28pm
Whilst she appears to be more successful with middle distance runners, there isn't enough data to be sure. The place return isn't that hot, so I think too early to judge.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 3:20pm
Maybe Djebel can be happy now!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 2:38pm
And another 2400m winner today.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 5:13pm
And rides/trains the 3100m winner at the 'Bool today.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 11:28am
Very interesting [and refreshing] to read Michelle doesn't start working her horses until 6-30am!!!!

Shame some lame brains can't follow her lead. I know of a trainer in BNE that starts in the stables at 2-30am.......shocking strike rate, horses are probably in twilight zone.

There should be a moratorium on hours tracks are open, the excuses make me sick.

Mitchell Beer too starts around 7-am........in winter it should be for everyones sake a rule of thumb, 5-30 earliest starts and summer 4am....

QLD we need the early starts in summer, but Michelle is spot on......she seems to have a handle on everything, maybe Michelle should take an office job......that of running VIC Racing......the flogs there are out of their league, go on Michelle, I reckon 80% of the industry would love to see you in a big leather chair, in a room with a view. #bestoutcomeforracing
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 1:00am
Yeah but he gets a bit old with his repetetive flog about gelding and stayers and Aussie trainers.   Big smile
animals before people.
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 12:29am
Bugger off Ted. djebel is one of the few valued members we have left here Smile
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 11:33pm
I agree I am a repetitive flog but I refute being clueless.

You are more than welcome to prove me wrong Teddles.

reductio ad absurdum
Good Old Ted View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Good Old Ted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Whilst I like what she is doing at the moment the big question will be what she does when she gets staying breds that are showing speed in trials and on the training track.

This is where the majority of Aussie trainers kiss up. 

My God, you are a clueless repetitive flog. 
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 9:11pm
A lot of great things came out of Hawera, Fury's Order, The Paynes, some of the best jockeys NZ ever enjoyed and the greenest grass you've seen in your life, there should be a monument to Paddy, his bloods worth bottling.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 59>