Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Noel Callow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 5:52pm
He is absolutely flying at the moment. Deserves more chances in town, especially at this time of year. He is racking them up during the week. Always gives a good interview also on TVN. Clearly still a lad, but gives some good insights into the horses ability.
Gently View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gently Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 5:57pm
Seriously good jockey
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 11:56pm
Callow finds trouble in Mauritius

Australian jockey Noel Callow has found trouble in Mauritius, suspended for three months by stewards for failing to give his mount every chance to win last Saturday.

The colourful Callow was also fined 100,000 rupees ($4000 Australian dollars) for the ride on Fyrkat, who finished second in the eighth race on Saturday.

Callow was sanctioned for not taking ‘all reasonable and permissible measures to ensure that, throughout the race, his horse is given full opportunity to win’.

WATCH: Callow's ride

The 41-year-old was still riding in Australia in March before embarking on his latest stint in Mauritius.

Callow has ridden extensively overseas, spending time in places like Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia and Macau.

Callow tasted Group 1 success four times in Australia, with In Top Swing (2003 Caulfield Guineas), Al Maher (2005 Australian Guineas), Benicio (2005 Victoria Derby) and Apache Cat (2006 Australian Guineas).

Go Flash Go View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Flash Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 11:59pm
LOL what does it mean in  "Mauritius".
Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 12:00am
Looked harsh based on the straight run
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 12:24am
agree

subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 12:44am
And Greg Ryan walks away scot free from a ride far far worse.
Nocturnal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nocturnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 5:38pm
Maybe our blokes should send a replay to them of the Bolshoi bandit race for assessment
The only problem with backing winners ? You never have enough on....
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 1:55pm
Jockey Noel Callow has been cautioned by stewards at Flemington for his conduct in a post-race interview after winning the third event on Eclair Calling.

Callow grabbed the microphone from Racing.com's Dean Pettit after the race and instead of talking about his win, gave a plug for a car mechanic business, complete with phone number.

Acting chief steward Robert Cram said he reminded Callow that such demonstrations could clash with the racing club's own sponsorship arrangements and that he must desist from doing so in the future.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 2:06pm
He had to didn't he? LOL I think they were quite lenient on him, for once.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Sneck View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 2:13pm
The post race interviews are a wankfest don't think I've ever heard anything of merit out of a jockey.

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Sneck Sneck wrote:

The post race interviews are a wankfest don't think I've ever heard anything of merit out of a jockey.

I'd include the trainers in that, they comment i what we have already seen.

reductio ad absurdum
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 2:28pm
Can't stand Callow's interviews.
I normally mute them.
Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 4:50pm
Yeah I think it is overkill!

You get the jockey saying what he did to Dean on the horse coming back. Then when they get to the scales the jockey is asked the exact same questions.

People say Hong Kong's coverage is the best, and I do not recall any on course interviews being conducted.

Similar to the footy where players are questioned as they walk off at half time. I tell the reporter to stick their microphone, but that is just me.   
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

He had to didn't he? LOL I think they were quite lenient on him, for once.

Agree Gay. Pity Callow's riding doesn't match his mouth. The racing.com presenters are partly to blame for their puerile playing up of clowning around by jockeys (and themselves). Mouawad medal I think they call it. Nothing wrong with the concept but egging on Callow et al has become a game in itself.
Synthetic View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synthetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Originally posted by Sneck Sneck wrote:

I'd include the trainers in that, they comment i what we have already seen.

What about when a trainer explains where the horse is headed next and gives an assessment of the run in the context of those plans? No appeal?
Synthetic View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synthetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 8:42pm
[QUOTE=VOYAGER] Yeah I think it is overkill!

You get the jockey saying what he did to Dean on the horse coming back. Then when they get to the scales the jockey is asked the exact same questions.

- they only do one or the other not both...it's either an interview from the pony OR an interview at the Scales

Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 4:50am
How about leaving the winning jockey alone after the race???

Not everyone wants to verbally explain what they just physically especially of the questioning is futile.

I could imagine having interviews with punters after their odds/on lock failed to materialize.

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 7:04am
   If they want an interested audience they should interview the winning rider ,   before the race.
Synthetic View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synthetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 9:16am
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

If they want an interested audience they should interview the winning rider ,   before the race.

it's just not achievable.
There are time constraints on jockeys' preparations prior to a race including meeting the trainer and connections prior to mounting up.
You would also have to accurately predict who is going to win the race.
Whilst there are more interviews behind the barriers during the carnivals, it frustrates jockeys, Stewards and barrier attendants when it interferes with loading.
Synthetic View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synthetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 9:19am
Originally posted by Brudder_A Brudder_A wrote:

How about leaving the winning jockey alone after the race???

Not everyone wants to verbally explain what they just physically especially of the questioning is futile.

I could imagine having interviews with punters after their odds/on lock failed to materialize.

The vast majority of feedback is the opposite. The racing public enjoy hearing from the jockey, particularly after a significant win.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Synthetic Synthetic wrote:

There are time constraints on jockeys' preparations prior to a race including meeting the trainer and connections prior to mounting up.
Whilst there are more interviews behind the barriers during the carnivals, it frustrates jockeys, Stewards and barrier attendants when it interferes with loading.

I hear the sound of rushing wind.

But back to reality...
No behind the barrier interview that I've seen has ever interfered with loading, nor has any jockey appeared to be concerned, let alone frustrated.

Nothing wrong with post race interviews. They aren't provided as pointers, they exist to capture jockey excitement (esp on big days), and in Vic for Dean Pettit to blow wind up their proverbials. Beaten jockey comments are often quite useful.
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 5:33pm
Owner is in HK. Would be nice to hear in the excitement what the jock has to say

Not plugging his mates business
Synthetic View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synthetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by 3blindmice 3blindmice wrote:

I hear the sound of rushing wind.

But back to reality...
No behind the barrier interview that I've seen has ever interfered with loading, nor has any jockey appeared to be concerned, let alone frustrated.

Nothing wrong with post race interviews. They aren't provided as pointers, they exist to capture jockey excitement (esp on big days), and in Vic for Dean Pettit to blow wind up their proverbials. Beaten jockey comments are often quite useful.

Have been involved with communications between Jockeys' Assoc, Stewards & Barrier Atnds that state otherwise 3BM.
There are also some race starts where it is not possible to get the pony to.
Do however attempt to get jockeys to give a rundown of their rides prior to races on the Carnival days.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 8:26pm
I'll take your word for it. It's a relatively new practice so some jockeys may still be having trouble adjusting. Next time you see an example - esp of interference with loading - let us know because they'd be as rare as hens teeth from my viewing experience.
Synthetic View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synthetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 9:05pm

I'll take your word for it. It's a relatively new practice so some jockeys may still be having trouble adjusting. Next time you see an example - esp of interference with loading - let us know because they'd be as rare as hens teeth from my viewing experience.

Prior to every race we get confirmation of how long we can have, which depends on loading order...it's when we go over that mark and there's a disruption to loading that it is communicated back at the end of the Raceday. This happened on about 3-4 occasions during the Spring & Autumn of this season. From our end it usually happens when a pre-race trainer interview has run over,
Glad to hear it hasn't been noticeable.
Agree re. Post race beaten jockey interviews...really informative. Agreement in place that it's only Group 1 events and major Carnival races
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 10:01pm

Prior to every race we get confirmation of how long we can have, which depends on loading order...it's when we go over that mark and there's a disruption to loading that it is communicated back at the end of the Raceday. This happened on about 3-4 occasions during the Spring & Autumn of this season. From our end it usually happens when a pre-race trainer interview has run over,
Agree re. Post race beaten jockey interviews...really informative. Agreement in place that it's only Group 1 events and major Carnival races

Not sure why a pre-race trainer (or jockey) interview would have any effect on horses getting to barriers and being loaded on time but if it does that suggests racing.com incompetence. Most of them happen after horses leave the mounting yard.

The latter suggests the tail is wagging the dog and is just another area where NSW has left Vic behind.
Synthetic View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synthetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 10:21pm

Not sure why a pre-race trainer (or jockey) interview would have any effect on horses getting to barriers and being loaded on time but if it does that suggests racing.com incompetence. Most of them happen after horses leave the mounting yard.

The latter suggests the tail is wagging the dog and is just another area where NSW has left Vic behind.

I tried to answer your queries with clear answers, but your comments are ridiculous and offensive so that's enough.
If you genuinely want to understand...time it backwards from the last horse entering the gates and you might see the time constraints on interviews and the mounting yard coverage. Interesting that NSW coverage is currently under review to more closely emulate what is done down in Melbourne. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 10:40pm
Which comments are ridiculous? Trainers aren't generally interviewed until AFTER horses have been mounted and are heading to the barriers, jockeys are sometimes interviewed behind the gates before they are called up. It's up to the starter and lead attendants to call them in on time. Not easy when one or two play up because you don't want them standing in barriers waiting for the starting time to tick over but it's not rocket surgery.

Getting a brief comment from jockeys about how their mounts went is no intrusion and should be in place for all Sydney and Melb Sat races. Occasionally a jockey declines but in Sydney at least it's pretty standard practice.
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 4:41pm
Ah, so typical. After burning bridges in Victoria, Noel Callow has turned up in Qld to try to resurrect his flagging career. Good luck mate and try to keep away from the bad influences. I give him 4 months before heading back to Vic.
“Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.”
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>