Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Noel Callow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Noel Callow
    Posted: 31 Dec 2021 at 3:53pm
Stacey Callow on Al Samenu 25/1 R2 Port Lincoln

ThanksForComing to SAGreat.. Mate!

Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2021 at 12:44pm

For many of those in the industry racing is a family affair, and for the Callows, that couldn’t be more true.

Champion jockey Noel and apprentice daughter Stacey combined for a rare feat at Strathalbyn yesterday, becoming one of a very select few father and daughter combinations to ride in the same race.

They first clashed in a benchmark 54 handicap over 1600 metres; Stacey aboard the Darren Magro-trained Alphaeus, father Noel riding the Phillip Stokes-trained race favourite Mustari.

Though neither Callow rode the winner, it was Stacey who came away with bragging rights over her old man, finishing in fourth place.

“It’s great, she’s come a long way and she’s got a long way to go, but it was a good experience, and we’ll enjoy it,” Noel Callow said of riding against his daughter.

“I saw her up the front there driving the bus, it was good, a really good experience.

“I just pulled up to her and I said, ‘how’d you go love?’ and she was pretty happy with the way she rode it so that was the main thing.”

It was a moment Stacey had dreamed of, ever since watching her Group 1 winning Dad ride as a child.

“I’ve been looking forward to it for a long time, growing up and watching him do it is something that I always wanted to do, so yeah it’s very exciting,” Stacey Callow said.

“I didn’t really see him because I was up the front, and he was at the back!”

And while Noel Callow was solely focussed on steering his mount to victory, he admits he couldn’t help but have a thought of Stacey in the back of his mind.

“I’m paid to do a job so of course I’ll do my job; I’ll still give 100 per cent ,” he said.

“It’s nervous to watch, but I’ve been doing it for 30 years so I don’t get nervous – I'm too old for that, but it’s nervous to watch her because I can see what’s going to happen before it happens.”

Noel’s father, and Stacey’s grandfather Kevin, whom she lives with in Adelaide, was trackside to witness the historic moment in South Australian racing.

“I’m very proud of both these guys, they go quite well,” he said.

Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
Pardon_My_Dust View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2021 at 10:36am
Funny you should say that mate because I've given the state the flick as well, other than backing Phillip Stokes horses with either Kayla Crowther or G Lo on board. I used to make a fine earning out of Jess Eaton but even her riding has gone pear shaped lately.
theshu25 View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote theshu25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2021 at 10:26am
                                                           And they think nothing of sitting 4 and 5 wide the whole race.I used to like betting in SA,  never again,they are as bad and rough as Tasmania.

Edited by Gay3 - 10 Dec 2021 at 1:00pm
theshu
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2021 at 9:38am
Jeez he'll be an even higher cut above the SA jocks I think they are the worst of the five main states of racing. A lot of cowboys and cowgirls in SA, very rare that you don't have a 100/1 pop take off at the 1000m and pour the pressure on. 
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 4:22pm
Stacey is living with Noel’s parents in Adelaide so he might go to SA at some stage. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 3:14pm
In the article someone posted he was saying how much he wanted the change of life warmer weather etc. The only thing that may bring him back down is his daughter.

I've said it before and I'll say it over and over again. EXTREMELY underrated jockey. No matter how much of a Wayne Kerr he is.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 9:51am
I doubt he'll come back to Victoria after the incident with the stewards last year.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 9:09am
Nah, there a few bankrupts training in QLD so why go back to Mexico and ride for another? Life's great here in Cactus country.
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 6:47am
Now that his old boss Robbie Laing is getting his trainers license back, will King Callow return to Melbourne? Wink
“Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.”
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 6:10pm
No definitely not suggesting anything. From what I've heard he's a bit of a wanka, so be it. Great jock, especially against the second stringers in QLD.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 5:52pm
Great to hear  PMD.  However are you suggesting discussion about his personality, often whimsical as it is, should be off limits on here?

ps can't quite see where anyone's been judgemental in recent posts. Wink
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 5:37pm
I judge jocks by their rides, not personality. Callow is elite.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 5:27pm
Not to be outdone dad has ridden a double today so far.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 4:11pm
You'd certainly never know what he'd say next with a microphone in his hand.

And at the risk of offending some, he won the crowd over at a sporting night we attended some time ago where engaging in a humorous verbal tit-for-tat with another celebrity.  He took hold of the mic, asked the celeb to stand up, placed the mic behind his adversaries rear end, and announced to the audience "now you'll be able to better hear what he's saying". Boom-boom.  Shocked Tongue
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 3:17pm
I hope she is better behaved with a microphone than dad.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 3:12pm
Noel's daughter Stacey has just ridden her first winner, on her first day of riding at Ceduna (SA)
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 5:16pm
Quote I didn't have another ride for him until Benicio in the Derby, three or four races later, and he was still seething. He didn't really talk to me and then the bell rang for the Derby and he said to me, 'put this in the first three and don't hit it with the stick too much'. I settled him about third-last and was into him with the whip from about the 600m to the post.

LOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 5:12pm
King Callow giving them another bath at the Gold Coast today. Beer
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 5:46pm
Very surprised Al Maher is the best horse he has ridden in Australia. 
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 5:27pm
Thanks Gay,  A good read, as you'd expect. Thumbs Up
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 5:12pm
Love or hate him, this really is a ripper read whether a racing enthusiast or not Clap
Sorry, copy/paste:

https://www.punters.com.au/news/a-jockey-of-the-week-with-noel-callow_199759/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Punters+Newsletter+July+16&utm_content=punters.com.au%2Fnews%2Fa-jockey-of-the-week-with-noel-callow_199759%2F&utm_source=comms.punters.com.au
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 6:56pm
Jeez just many classes above the jocks at Rocky today. Two rides for three winners and the one that lost he rode a treat.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 2:39pm

Veteran jockey Noel Callow is hopeful daughter Stacey will make her riding debut around Christmas time.

Callow, who is completing her apprenticeship in South Australia, has already contested around 90 jumpouts as she builds up to her first race ride.

The young rider missed out on entry into Victoria's apprentice program, so decided to move interstate to follow her career.

It's the same path trod by Jett Stanley, son of Brent, who moved to Western Australia to start his apprenticeship.

Callow senior, who recently moved to Queensland to ride, said the decision to not allow Stacey into Victoria's apprentice program and the handling of an incident at Kilmore were the two main reasons behind his shift north.

"That made me upset and displeasured because I thought, not that racing owes me anything, but being a jockey for 27 years in Victoria, I thought it was like a footballer, father-son, father-daughter," Callow said of Stacey missing the program.

However, Callow revealed his daughter is thriving across the border in SA.

"Yeah, good," Callow said when asked as to how Stacey is going with her riding.

"(There's) no mad rush but I'm pretty sure she'll be riding around Christmas time in Adelaide. She's apprenticed to Jon O'Connor over there.

"She's done about 90 jumpouts there. She gets signed up 1st of August, I think, then she rides in trials, she's going alright."

Callow also vented his frustration at the handling of an incident at Kilmore, where he was alcohol and drug tested after stewards became aware of a tweet from an unnamed source alleging that Callow was indulging in drugs and alcohol prior to the meeting, allegations which he says were 'a lie'.

He was due to ride favourite Diamonds'n'stones from Team Hawkes when he was asked to provide the samples.

Callow says that was the straw that broke the camel's back for him with Victorian racing.

"The tweet annoyed me and then it's the way they handled it," Callow said.

"I'm going out to ride $1.70 favourite for Hawkes and they drug-tested me, alcohol-tested me, I went out there frazzled and still won on it. They should have done it after the event."

Callow these days is enjoying life on the Gold Coast and has ridden 17 winners there this season.

"I just enjoy going to work," he said.

"At home it was just a grind a bit … I just find it a lot more relaxed here."

The internationally successful jockey has four rides coming up on Wednesday at Eagle Farm, including Embers (Race 8), a filly who he has partnered at her past two starts.

"Embers is going well. I didn't give it a good ride at the Gold Coast and then had every chance with 59 kilos the other day, it ran third I think, it's a little bit down in the weights, it's got a chance," Callow said.

adolphus twirk View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adolphus twirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 12:30pm
Bloody good rider. He has ridden for me.  I put him on because he can ride not because he is politically correct. Hope he wins the Stradbroke.
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 11:54pm
Never liked the guy after reading a stewards report from Mooney Valley about 15 years ago where he had kicked a horse. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 7:55pm
Anyone else got their hobnail boots on?
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 7:49pm
He lost me when interwiewed a few years ago, stating he doesn't like horses but it's all he was brought up to do Ermm
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 7:27pm
Well you're in luck beccause he's a great jock! Very underrated but I didn't realise why he never got any decent rides but it made sense that he must have an attitude problem. Shame because he really can ride.
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 5:01pm
Riding one of mine on Saturday LOL
Time is a flat circle
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>