Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Statue of Liberty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the renter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Statue of Liberty
    Posted: 26 Feb 2007 at 2:03am
am thinking of purchasing one at melbourne will he make a stallion? Why/Why not
Clem Hill View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clem Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2007 at 2:31am
In a word YES

He is a close relative to one of my most admired stallions in Foxhound.

Foxhound only stood a season at Coolmore before being controversially 'sacked' however not before producing the outstanding juvenile North Fox (who my spies tell me is a star galloper on the lucrative Macau racing circuit)

This is also the family of Wolfhound, a top sire in the USA and Al Mufti, a leading sire in South Africa.

Storm Cat is a legend in the USA, commanding a US$500,000 service fee (with no free return Ouch ) and in Australia has produced the handy Catrail and High Yield as well as Tale of the Cat.

There is a tremendous 'pipeline' for Storm Cat in Australia with the likes of Felix The Cat (cracker), Tabkir (sneaky chance) and Consolidator (absolute stunner) all coming through the ranks.

If you like this yearling, I say buy it!!!

All the best Smile
Run For Fun View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2007 at 3:30am

Imho the unanswerable but critical questions, at this time in any event, is whether his stock will handle Oz conditions and more importantly whether they'll train on.

In the latter regard, the stock of many Storm Cat sires don't, and neither did Statue of Liberty. 

Do rate him a chance however.

It's hard to soar with eagles...

Cheers
Everitt View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Everitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2007 at 2:33am

I'm sure I posted here yesterday but it's gone! I to am looking at the SOL at the up coming sales, hope I dont out bid you!. I liked the look of the filly out of Uccello. Plain but a nice type. How much do you think they will bring?

willy View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2007 at 5:08am
To answer the head post question ..

.. STATUE OF LIBERTY is entirely unsuited to this region and they will need soft & heavy tracks to stay sound.

He is upright in the shoulder .. over himself in front .. ordinary looking legs consistent with the STORM CAT/SEATTLE SLEW cross .. and too heavy in the shoulder as well.

He has far too much dirt blood.

His GROUP 3 win at 2 was a slow 1.15.7 for 6f.

His close 2nd in the SUSSEX at 3 was a pedestrian 1.40 for 8f.

He only had 5 starts.

Not surprising.

Not for here.
Clem Hill View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clem Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2007 at 8:48am
Willy,

After careful consideration, and I must say a rather sleepless night, I have come to agree that Statue of Liberty is up against it to make it as a stallion.

The turning point for me was the realisation that this horse carried 3 individual words in his title. Apart from Encosta De Lago in Australia and another neddy I researched in Europe named El Gran Senor I found it very difficult to find another stallion of note that had 3 individual names.

If you couple that with the fact that the other afore mentioned duo both started with the letter E, it suddenly became very apparent that this horse's stud career was doomed before it began. He may become a More Than Ready type, but that is all.

I also note that the name itself 'Statue of Liberty' emanates from a monument in New York, which is in a city I don't particularly like. In actual fact, I don't really like the USA either but Belgium is lovely....I find Belgium close to home as the natives remind me very much of my New Zealand counterparts.....absolute characters Wink

So in summary, avoid this stallion....he is doomed, go for a one or two worder instead and you will be on the fast track to success Thumbs%20Up

zimstar View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zimstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 11:34pm
how do we think statue of libertys australian progeny will end up??

good start with elysees, winning impressively, to take out a stakes race in adelaide a couple of months back!!
troppo75 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troppo75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 11:54pm
I didnt see him in the stallions book this time around.

Personally I am quite dissapointed with him. I had considered him to be a decent prospect but he has done really really badly. You mention elysees which won a stakes race but it was not expected to even be competitive in the race.

If I had one I would be hoping like hell it had inherited some quality from the dam! LOL
Now having passed 1000 posts I feel you are all so much the wiser for my having said... stuff!
zimstar View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zimstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2008 at 12:33am
Originally posted by troppo75 troppo75 wrote:

I didnt see him in the stallions book this time around.

Personally I am quite dissapointed with him. I had considered him to be a decent prospect but he has done really really badly. You mention elysees which won a stakes race but it was not expected to even be competitive in the race.

If I had one I would be hoping like hell it had inherited some quality from the dam! LOL

yeh, he is now standing in japan i think, and isnt coming back out to blue gum farm in the near distant future!! his progeny in europe were very 2 year olds with him getting many winners!!

for 1st season sires from victoria, him and estambul are leading the way at the moment!

elysees, has a strong dam side, gift bouquet, has already thrown the handy blahnik
whitters View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2008 at 2:13am
By all accounts he cannot make it back here from Japan due to much stricter (now) quarantine regulations. He seems to be going pretty well with 4 winners including 1 stakes winner from 15 first crop runners.
Bit of a blow for breeders with him not making it back though.
whitters View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2008 at 2:38am
Sorry I meant a bit of a blow for the breeders that had thus far supported him. Smacks a bit of King Charlemagne albeit for different reasons.
zimstar View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zimstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2008 at 12:25am
Originally posted by whitters whitters wrote:

Sorry I meant a bit of a blow for the breeders that had thus far supported him. Smacks a bit of King Charlemagne albeit for different reasons.

true!! we have a king charlemagne yearling, that was meant to be a statue of liberty!! damn
piemad1 View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piemad1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 7:52pm
you dont read alot about this guy but he seems to be able to get a few good runners. mic mac, haylist, broadway harmony,somewhere somehow etc etc. from all reports he hasnt had the best of mares and has still done fairly well. what do you guys think of him

Edited by Gay3 - 09 May 2015 at 5:53pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 12:37pm
He seems to have been a surprise packet. From small numbers he has done a pretty good job and can clearly throw a really good horse. His numbers have been huge lately so there will be plenty to choose from.

Physically he has interesting legs but from what I've seen from his stock he doesn't throw any more bad legged individuals than the average sire. His female line has worked really well in these parts.

I like him and would use him if I had the right mare but would probably prefer to buy a nice one at the sales.
Xolento View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xolento Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 1:22pm
Statue Of Liberty has in his one Australian crop produced Mic Mac, Tempest Tost, Dan Baroness, Elysees, Go Lizzy, Hay List, Bartholdi, Solchow, Rabati, Rory Mor, Hot Pepper, Total Liberty, Free Dive, Art Piece, Liberty Isle, Liberty Edition, Victory March, Liberty Lazer, Cecilia, & Verridon...thats 20 winners from his first crop.....outstanding effort.
Progold View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 3:43pm
Statue Of Liberty visited Australia from 2004 until 2006 but did not return due to EI in 2007 and then was not allowed back in 2008 because of Japanese quarantine.  He came back last year and is now in Japan for the NH summer.  Statue Of Liberty has 171 Australian born foals aged between 2 and 4 for a total of 4 SW in Mic Mac, Elysees, Dan Baroness and Broadway Harmony.  From what I can see, he has a total of 50 individual winners to date out of a total of 92 individual runners.

Interestingly, for anther thread on the breeding forum, he has only had 1 runner out of a Tertian mare and that of course is his best performed to date in Mic Mac.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 3:57pm
And one of Runfer's posts that was lost advised that he was currently 4th on the Australian Third Crop sire list behind Lonhro, E & E and Reset.  Albeit with about half the number of runners.

Cheers
Progold View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 4:09pm
Statue Of Liberty visited Australia from 2004 until 2006 but did not return due to EI in 2007 and then was not allowed back in 2008 because of Japanese quarantine.  He came back last year and is now in Japan for the NH summer.  Statue Of Liberty has 171 Australian born foals aged between 2 and 4 for a total of 4 SW in Mic Mac, Elysees, Dan Baroness and Broadway Harmony.  From what I can see, he has a total of 50 individual winners to date out of a total of 92 individual runners.

Interestingly, for anther thread on the breeding forum, he has only had 1 runner out of a Tertian mare and that of course is his best performed to date in Mic Mac.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 4:39pm
Wow, you're going to have to do something about that stutter mate.  Wink

Unless we still have posting probs.

Cheers
aintsinnothinyet View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aintsinnothinyet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 10:24pm
Well, Hay List proved today that he could just be the real deal. With Mic Mac probably slightly unlucky not to have picked up a Gr1 over this Autumn/Winter you'd have to say this boy is very hot at the moment.

Anyone have any idea of what his stakes winners to runners could be? He doesn't seem to have that many out there, but a fair few stakes horses.
Progold View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 11:03pm
From what I can see, Haylist is the stallion's 5th stakes winner in Australia (including Listed winners).  That would make 5 from a minimum of 92 individual runners which isn't a bad result.
Hopefully I can post this one without stuttering.
zimstar View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zimstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 11:47pm
ive always told ya this stallion is something special.

many of you laughed at me!! look whos laughing now
Bottom Line View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bottom Line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 5:23pm
Another bad legged stallion that is priced at his limit. Much better to buy one than breed one like so so many other stallions at present. He represents fair value however compared to many hunter imposters.
yogy bear View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogy bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 9:41am
whats so bad about his legs bottom line? Share it with the world. Keeping in mind he averaged 6 times service fee with his last crop of yearlings
shiner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 11:00am
are his bad legs a genetic or enviromental fault?
Horse breeding is like religion, if you don't really believe in what you are doing it is purely social
aintsinnothinyet View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aintsinnothinyet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 11:53pm
Bottom Line - tell the world something we don't know. The whole Storm Cat line often throw offset horses, does it make any difference?

Was Storm Cat correct?

If you know what you're talking about, you wouldn't have wasted valuable time posting that statement.
mowie View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mowie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 2:38am
Originally posted by Xolento Xolento wrote:

Statue Of Liberty has in his one Australian crop produced Mic Mac, Tempest Tost, Dan Baroness, Elysees, Go Lizzy, Hay List, Bartholdi, Solchow, Rabati, Rory Mor, Hot Pepper, Total Liberty, Free Dive, Art Piece, Liberty Isle, Liberty Edition, Victory March, Liberty Lazer, Cecilia, & Verridon...thats 20 winners from his first crop.....outstanding effort.

wow when i first saw  statue of liberty i thought crap stallion,but a few of those names ain't to bad at all,..but in saying that there are alot of them that are in nsw an woop woops in vic that are doing very little ..so i'd say the boat is still out on statue of liberty till this time next year
chris Armstrong waller, *drugs are bad mkay
Xolento View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xolento Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 4:17pm
Statue of Liberty x Mere Royaume 2yo just came into work with Greg Eurell if anyone is interested in racing it with me Wink
Nocturnal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nocturnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 5:16pm
Details? Photo.Breeding etc ???
The only problem with backing winners ? You never have enough on....
lotto View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lotto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 5:21pm
Big rush on bookings this week following win by Hay List. Eliza expect him to be booked out this season with a cap of 125 mares.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>