Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Alverta

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
correctweight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote correctweight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alverta
    Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 8:02pm
That is so shattering and an unlucky way to die. Rip champ
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 10:04am
Mrs Bonjour and I were lucky enough to have been at Newmarket for the July Cup when SSB won and Alverta ran 3rd, great day that day, Alverta payed at 15-1 the place, we had a bonza collect, however watching Paul Messara and family in the mounting yard was special, Paul did a great job training that lovely mare for that race, the biggest sprint in Europe, up a rise that would kill lesser horses...she conquered that rise, but couldn't hold off the lightening bolt.......she was obviously needed elsewhere, RIP lovely lady.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 9:34am

G1 winner killed by lightning

Posted by: Ric Chapman+ at 8:44am on 12/3/2019

As Saturday came to a close, scone-based trainer Paul Messara was conflicted.

During the day two immensely emotional moments occurred in his life.

The first was finding his beloved mare, Alverta dead in a paddock.

The second was watching the horse his father part-owns called The Autumn Sun doing a performance only Winx was capable of.

“It was a bitter-sweet day for me, that’s for sure,” said Messara.

“We lost Alverta to a lightning strike. It hit her and, well…She was a very special mare to me.

“She was my first metro winner, also my first stakes winner and was my first ever Gr 1 winner.”

Alverta (Flying Spur-Grilse) won the Hawkesbury Guineas for Messara when he was just starting out as a trainer, then 2 months later in the winter of 2008, went to Queensland and scored in the Gr 1 Winter Stakes (Tatts Tiara) over 1400m beating Absolute Glam and Fritz’s Princess.

She later won the coveted Gr 1 Coolmore Stakes at Rosehill and was 3rd behind the great Starspangledbanner in the Gr 1 July Cup up that gruelling Newmarket hill in England.

She won 8 races all up and over $1.1million in stakes.

At stud she produced 3 named foals, all of whom won and she has a 2YO by Dundeel on the ground and a weanling by the same sire too.

“The only good thing about the day was watching The Autumn Sun do the impossible and win that Gr 1,” he added.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Romano View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Romano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 9:32pm
talking about the Galaxy!
Hot2Trot View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot2Trot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 9:28pm
All I can add is that she's not an acceptor, so they would have to make a late entry.
princerubiton View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princerubiton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 9:13pm

bump.

anyone know if she's running?
princerubiton View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princerubiton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 2:25am
I read that they are going to run her in the Doncaster but I looked at a couple of markets and she's not even in there. Anyway know of a market with her in?
 Post Reply Post Reply