Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Conformation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

photo assessments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 34>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem286 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 6:14am
Is there any bias in the accuracy?  As in is it more likely to predict an elite horse that is not or vice versa?
brogers View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 1:21am
Originally posted by rem286 rem286 wrote:

Is there any bias in the accuracy?  As in is it more likely to predict an elite horse that is not or vice versa?

There shouldnt be.

The group of horses that were elite 278 were roughly half of those that were non-elite.

The only bias in the non-elite group is that I solely used horses that were sold for $200,000 or more from sales that ran at least 5 times and were useless. I figured that was about as good a population of non-elite horses that I could find but because these horses tend to come from a smaller pool of farms it is possible that the program might be picking up something in the background of the image, not the horse itself, as an indicator of non-elite status.

I've got a larger group of close to 10,000 images where only ~350 of these are elite runners which could be more informative/accurate.

Abel Tasman...Keen Ice...Divisidero....Verrazano...Catchy...Carrick...Ivictory...
rem286 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rem286 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 6:16pm
It is a great concept, please keep us updated on the progress. 
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 8:14pm
Please make sure that this URL is an image (PNG or JPEG) and not a web page
Elite Racehorse 78%
Non Elite Racehorse 21%

I hope your predictor is right :)
rem286 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem286 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by bradjm bradjm wrote:

Please make sure that this URL is an image (PNG or JPEG) and not a web page
Elite Racehorse 78%
Non Elite Racehorse 21%

I hope your predictor is right :)

My colt was 77% Elite so I am hoping also
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 5:46am
Could you 2 put up the pics used for our perusal? Tongue
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 7:41am

She was around 17 months in that pic
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 7:45am
Not the best pic to do it off so I probably threw the software a bit lol
rem286 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rem286 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 6:12pm

I also used one with him looking straight ahead in a different location and it gave me 76%
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 8:22am

This one scored 84% elite , having 4th start tonight at toowoombs long way to go to hit elite but ill keep hoping :)
brogers View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote brogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 9:26am
The model increases accuracy if you select the button next to the class (elite or not elite) that the horse actually is.
Abel Tasman...Keen Ice...Divisidero....Verrazano...Catchy...Carrick...Ivictory...
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 7:38pm

Trust In A Gust - 53% Elite

Catkins - 54% elite

"Jimmy" (the $5m 1/2 to Black Caviar) - 59% elite

Emaratee ($4m 1/2 to Fare Well & Headwater) - 55% Non-elite (currently 4yo 2:0-2-0 at Gosford & Goulburn)

Wilderness ($2.4m Fastnet Rock x Gold Anthem) - 70% Non-elite

Wandjina - 66% Elite
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 7:42pm
Not being able to see the feet probably stuffs things up somewhat?
brogers View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote brogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 12:05pm
It certainly does better with the classic conformation shot, head left to right, and all four feet visible and standing posed.

The new model that I am working on has 12 categories (sex-colt,filly; class-elite,nonelite; distance - sprint,miler,long) and I then run the percentages in each variable through a Boosted Decision Tree which reverts back to a binary elite/non-elite answer. I'm hoping with around 10,000 images with outcomes it will be a lot more accurate. It needs to be over 80% to be usable.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 8:49pm
What sort of level does a horse need to reach to be classified as elite?
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 9:15pm
85% Elite. 

Kimberley Mine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 4:20am
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Is this one Sunday Silence bred?  The back end has a kind of weedy look that a lot of SS horses have.

If it isn't too tall, that's a build that goes really, really well in a polo horse.

Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 3:00pm
97% Elite

Beliskner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beliskner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 1:55pm
Can somebody explain to me what 'elite' means in this context?
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 12:50pm
What are peoples view of this horses eye ?

I would not think this is a good advertising shot.

Embedded image permalink
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Kimberley Mine Kimberley Mine wrote:

Is this one Sunday Silence bred?  The back end has a kind of weedy look that a lot of SS horses have.

If it isn't too tall, that's a build that goes really, really well in a polo horse.

When you take in his neck and shoulder I do not think the Japanese, as a general rule, do not allow their horses to get too baulky 

reductio ad absurdum
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 2:08pm
Regarding the wall/white eye, it's purely pigmentation going hand in hand with the white facial markings, despite many insisting it denotes a 'mad' temperament Smile
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 11:52am

Duramente

Nuovo Record 

reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 11:55am

Embedded image permalink

Sorry this is Duramente the one I wanted to compare with Nuovo Record.

They have an interesting build these Japanese horses. Obviously they do not let them get fat during their athletic career.

reductio ad absurdum
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 9:58pm

Embedded image permalink

Sorry this is Duramente the one I wanted to compare with Nuovo Record.

They have an interesting build these Japanese horses. Obviously they do not let them get fat during their athletic career.

horrible neck.  skinny little arse.  not much up front  . where is its power supposed to come from ??
now i suppose you will tell me its won heapies ???LOL
animals before people.
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 2:39pm
Anyone have opinions on this yearling?

I remember gearing that the rump should be at least as high as the wither or have I forgotten or misinterpreted?

Prejudice is an emotional attachment to ignorance.
DiEM25 for the world.
Banjo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by kavg kavg wrote:

I remember gearing that the rump should be at least as high as the wither or have I forgotten or misinterpreted?

yy

I don't like the angle of the cannon bone from the knee

That's the first thing I look at side on. If it's not straight I won't look any further
Banjo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by kavg kavg wrote:

yy

I don't like the angle of the cannon bone from the knee

That's the first thing I look at side on. If it's not straight I won't look any further
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 4:19pm
Good bodied fellow, maybe a bit long in the pasterns, would need to have a different angle before commenting on the cannons but understand the earlier opinion.

Kav I wouldn't be the least concerned with the rump/wither aspect. 
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Good bodied fellow, maybe a bit long in the pasterns, would need to have a different angle before commenting on the cannons but understand the earlier opinion.

Kav I wouldn't be the least concerned with the rump/wither aspect. 

I think it looks nice .
Its the front legs I would look at again.
Maybe its just how the horse is standing.
See,   thats what pictures do.
You have to see the horse in the flesh.
One wrong step and the horse looks like a cripple.
NEVER go on photos.  

animals before people.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 34>