Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Conformation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

photo assessments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 34>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marlin1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 6:37am
heres mine,not the best of pics but shes pretty big,ill get a better one soon
C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My Pictures\the champ
magic_idol View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magic_idol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 6:53am
Originally posted by marlin1 marlin1 wrote:

heres mine,not the best of pics but shes pretty big,ill get a better one soon
C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My Pictures\the champ
You have to download it to photo bucket as  this server can't download them from your computerWink
Happy Fit Horses Win Races :-)
marlin1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marlin1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 7:42am
marlin1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marlin1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 7:55am
could some one help me out with this mare i brought the other week,i think she had a nice shoulder and nice lenght of rein with big hind1/4s,very nice mover,if you guys could run your eye over her and tell me if you can see any faults or where she needs improvements i mite learn some thing
cheers and thanks for any info
david
horsegears View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsegears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 10:50am
Marlin1, in my opinion.

Nice length limbs, closed shoulder joint with a very long blade. Back is a good even length, which is well supported by the even girth depth. Croup is leaner.

Good height x length ratio, fore is certainly the strength, consistent endurance and long striding traits throughout, nice type.
marlin1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marlin1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 5:47pm
thanks for that horsegears, what iv been reading on here i thought she was a pretty good type when i saw her, but wasnt sure, what people look for in a mare, shes very well built very strong looking horse,i think she mite need a taller leaner stallion with abit of leg under him,her legs are pretty short i thought,but she has a giant over stride,that turned  me on,jus hopes she goes into foal early,thanks for the info appreciated
david
ps when do i change the paper work over to my name,on the stud book it says when i do a foal return,is this right
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsegears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 11:06pm
If she is a proven performer you may not wish to risk losing her traits, which may happen if you have her served by a stallion that is not a similar type..
WarriSymbol View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarriSymbol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 1:28pm
Just wondering if anyone would like to give an assessment of this rising 2yo colt by Testa Rossa.
Many thanks in advance.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarriSymbol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 12:40am
Anyone willing to have a crack?
Anyone............Bueller?.............Bueller?..............Bueller?
jayzaa View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayzaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 12:48am
Got a powerful backside, deep girth, good shoulder,  personally I would like a bit more neck.
 Legs are hard from this angle, but seems to have a strong forearm. 
  Hope this gets the ball rolling for you
www.keffelstein.com

gotta live the dream
orpen View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orpen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 12:22pm
The Inglis BC3 sale catalogue has really good photos of the babies. Well worth a look.

The three that took my eye are Lots 14, 17 & 19.

As a group the whole draft will be interesting to follow.
Campaspe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Campaspe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 8:50pm
Have you had a look at the breeze up and parade videos yet, Orpen?  They're up on the Inglis website.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by orpen orpen wrote:

The Inglis BC3 sale catalogue has really good photos of the babies. Well worth a look.

The three that took my eye are Lots 14, 17 & 19.

As a group the whole draft will be interesting to follow.

Just for the record, my favs are 6, 10, 20, 28, 30 & 34 Smile

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
jayzaa View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayzaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 9:16pm
marlin, yes, when you do your mare return, she will transfer to your name as foal breeder
www.keffelstein.com

gotta live the dream
Run For Fun View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 9:36pm
Warri Symbol's photo possibly explains just why you cant judge by photos.

Appears to have a number of strong features, but surely couldn't be that short in the neck, and who's to guess on alignment?  Does the near hind give the impression of filling at very least, or does the white coloring mix the message?

May well be a terrific youngster, but like them all needs examining in the flesh.
It's hard to soar with eagles...

Cheers
VEEEIGHT View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VEEEIGHT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 9:57pm
Yes near hind does appear thick in the pastern and I think to be acurate re biomechanic analysis horse would need to be measured in the flesh photos are just to variable.
Easily smashed
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 10:32pm
Where's Warri?

Been around the place but silent on the responses thus far.  Smile 

Cheers
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarriSymbol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 2:02am
Thanks for the respones everyone. Was holding out to see if anyone else had any thoughts.

A mate of mine has gone 10% into this colt.
He's out of an unraced half sister to Charge Forward by Agnes World.
Went through the ring in Sydney at Easter.
Sold for $180,000.
DMG View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 2:09am
Originally posted by magic_idol magic_idol wrote:

Can you do 1 for mine ?????

wouldnt mind riding her
Nocturnal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nocturnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 8:01am
Really DMG ? Obviously starting off a low base LOL
The only problem with backing winners ? You never have enough on....
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsegears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 1:23am
WarriSymbol

My opinion only, Yearling considered.

Shorter limbs, very good closed shoulder joint leading to well sloped shoulder with some extra length, very good distance chest to wither and the strength of the topline. Nice shorter back well supported by a girth of extra depth. Good hind. Slightly longer type overall. Distance gearing shows a bias to sprinting mainly due to shorter limbs, although the good shoulder adds potential for some versatility. Already appears to possess a deep girth and good blade length, so should maintain this general shape. Very nice type IMO.
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsegears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 4:14am
Originally posted by Run For Fun Run For Fun wrote:

Warri Symbol's photo possibly explains just why you cant judge by photos.

Appears to have a number of strong features, but surely couldn't be that short in the neck.

This is a good point and it is correct.

No doubt analyzing a horse by a photo is not a definitive. But the above photo may display if common sense is be applied, the photo assessment of this horse may be used as a guide.

Lets see what we can get from using the photo as a guide. The photo shows a horse with a bias towards sprinting traits including a good hind, shorter limbs, deep girth etc.  This consistancy indicates the sprinting traits are indeed likely to be true.

Now the neck looks very short (maybe exagerated to teh eye by the well sloped shoulder). As the shorter neck is also a sprinting trait.  Now whether the neck is as short as the photo indicates is debateble, but regardless its fair enough to assume from the photo that the horse is more likely to have at least a shorter neck in-line with its other traits.

From this photo, from a positive conformation point of veiw, its fair to suggest we have a Yearling with at least a good shoulder, a back thats not to long and at least a decent hind. The
muscle shape on the forearm and shorter limbs also suggest we have a sprinting type. Its pedigree can also be used to further confirm this.

In the same way a person who may be looking for more complex patterns, such as the compounding  levering effect of a number of bones lengths and angles, can also apply common sense to use the results, to effect a good guide. The key here is that by eye, these complex caculations may not be possible, so the value of this guide probably increases. (of course we are not debating levering here, rather just what value a person can get from a photo based on his own opinions)

So because we can only use a photo as a guide to the above, and its not a definitive rating, should it be ignored?

Well the thing is, breeding too, is really only a guide. An example is that most mares have had no foals, or very few to race, so your rating its foal on a low number of stats that a real stats person would rate as totaly inconclusive. But undoubtedly, breeding still retains its value as a guide, and rightly so. So should conformation from a photo being used as a guide, be any different?

Of course, when talking about conformation, it should only be considered as one desired part of a number. Ideally a horses also has going for it additional important factors like breeding, upbringing, energy system, etc.
shizzydirka View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shizzydirka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by DMG DMG wrote:

Originally posted by magic_idol magic_idol wrote:

Can you do 1 for mine ?????

wouldnt mind riding her

yeppp

we all know u were a hack
SET THE SPINNAKER FOR THE LOSE
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarriSymbol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by horsegears horsegears wrote:

Lets see what we can get from using the photo as a guide. The photo shows a horse with a bias towards sprinting traits including a good hind, shorter limbs, deep girth etc.  This consistancy indicates the sprinting traits are indeed likely to be true.

Thanks for the detailed response horsegears.
So, from what i've heard here it sounds like the Derby/Cup dreams will have to stay on hold for a little longer. 

Without seeing the photo, one only has to see who the purchaser was (Ellerton Zahra Racing), to realise this colt is a sprinting type.
Can anyone recall even one Ellerton Zahra trained stayer?
rowboat View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 1:41pm
BSB Raiderman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSB Raiderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by BSB Raiderman BSB Raiderman wrote:

19 month old filly

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarriSymbol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by WarriSymbol WarriSymbol wrote:

Just wondering if anyone would like to give an assessment of this rising 2yo colt by Testa Rossa.
Many thanks in advance.

This baby steps out for the first time at Caulfield on Saturday.
Goes by the name REDANGELO.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 7:25pm
Always a truly exciting time.

Hope she goes well.

Cheers
Fairest One View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fairest One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 12:52pm
Well done Warri, only back him today cause i saw this post this week!! He was very green, but has a good will. Should make a good race horse (well he already is ;)). Saturday 2yo win is always a great achievement/thrill. He put in a dodgy stride about 200 metres out I thought but then batteld on gamely.

That wasn't you screaming in the mounting yard?
Cmon Apparitions!!!
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 1:16pm
Great result Warri & super to be able to compare 'before & after'. Hope he keeps going forward for you Thumbs Up
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 34>