Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Conformation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

photo assessments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 34>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 6:11pm
ps thanks Gay.  Smile
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Have just knocked back a share in the Deep Field - Oomaroo coltpurchased by Robbie Griffiths at the Premier sale.  Despite there being a lot to like about him.

Too difficult to post his photo here (the oh usually does it) but if you look at the Inglis Premier website results, or the Griffiths Racing website and hit "horses available", you'll be able to view two different photos of him.

Was I right or wrong to pass this time??  Any comments painting me as a genius or a dope would be appreciated.

Will you be death riding the poor bugger ? 
reductio ad absurdum
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 6:20pm
A friend has taken a share so will be barracking for the otherwise well put together wonky kneed poor footed fella.

That's the horse, not the friend.  Wink
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 6:40pm
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 6:48pm
Low heels, not enough bone. Good natural muscling, got a bit of growing to do.
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 6:49pm
Thanks Sister Dot.  Not a hoof in sight.

Any other comments on the knees?
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 6:59pm
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 7:03pm
Well his knees aren’t completely flat, but not severely behind at knee. Hooves look mismatched, low slung. Don’t think farriers can do much about it, but maybe remedial shoeing could keep it in check and comfortable. But back to the lack of bone, esp in a colt.
Kimberley Mine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 9:46am
I had a horse who had feet that made this colt's look like a greek statue.  Thin, white walls on three of four, low heels, stone bruises every other week, total mess all around.

Once he got a SKILLED farrier working on him, he grew about 2cm of heel all around and had feet good enough to ride on dry, hard ground barefoot...in only about 6 months!  The key turned out to be really frequent maintenance, every two weeks at most.  When his farrier went to catch other horses in the paddock for work, he'd whip out a rasp and fix something on my gelding right then and there.  My gelding adored the farrier, he would stand perfectly still in a field with no halter or rope and let the farrier work.

I'd start with getting x-rays of all four so you see what you're working with, then get the best farrier you can to use those x-rays for a shoeing program.  
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 11:26am
Wayne Turner is in VIctoria, and he’s a master craftsman. If this horse found Wayne, he might have a bright future
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 12:26pm
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 12:27pm
Wayne Turner, Geelong
Wish I could get my horses to him, but out of our reach.
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 5:09pm
Will try for a better photo on the weekend, but this is our new 2yo filly. 'Rahaan'
Mulaazem x Parclose

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 6:26pm
Yeah not a great photo GAJ, but my first impression be it right or wrong is that she appears to have thrown to the dam's bottom line rather than the "miler" profile of her top 75%.Though a  new photo might well suggest otherwise.

ps who's that scrawny strapper?
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 7:34pm
I hope you are right SC, I would like to think she will take the traits from the dam line, the previous stables hopes for her was to be a 1200 - 1400m Horse? So they thought she wouldn't cut it at that in Sydney. The mare line I would have thought would dictate the aptitude. Hopefully...
She is quite heavy in the forehand moving, but time and work should help her balance. But she is young.

The Lean mean strapper is my partner Big smile

GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 7:36pm
BTW her hooves are super, don't think she has missed out on anything in her life Smile
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by GAJ GAJ wrote:

The Lean mean strapper is my partner Big smile  

Thought so.  Wink
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 8:44pm
She looks to have a powerful motor
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Sister Dot Sister Dot wrote:

She looks to have a powerful motor
Thank you,
I'll try for a more honest picture of her soon, she is actually more impressive in the front in real life!!
But we can work on the motor  Wink
Great for a 2yo all the same.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 8:41pm
How about a photo of the Fiorente youngster too GAJ? Smile
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 9:04pm
Crikey!!!! Only 2yo 😲 She looks like a real scopey stayer to me with all that length underneath Big smile Well bought - at this stage Clap
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 12:15pm
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Crikey!!!! Only 2yo 😲 She looks like a real scopey stayer to me with all that length underneath Big smile Well bought - at this stage Clap

Hope so Gay3, we took her to our track this morning for the first time, I think she is a filly that can take some work!!

GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 1:09pm

Will try for on of those too, he is at that not so pretty age, gangly and hairy, but I'm sure you'll see past that. Smile
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 4:28pm

Another rainy day in paradise, managed to get a comb through his mane for the picture Smile
7 months old.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2019 at 5:59pm
We've taken a share in the following yearling.  Any comments welcome.

GREY COLT (AUS)

Foaled 29th August 2017

SireNew ApproachGalileoSadler's Wells
DAWN APPROACH (IRE) Park ExpressAhonoora
2010Hymn of the DawnPhone TrickClever Trick
  Colonial DebutPleasant Colony
DamShamardalGiant's CausewayStorm Cat
DISTANT DREAMS (AUS) HelsinkiMachiavellian
2009Miss ChaskiGone WestMr. Prospector
  ZelandaNight Shift

DAWN APPROACH (IRE) (Chestnut 2010-Stud Ire. 2014, Aust. 2014). 8 wins-6 at 2, The Two Thousand Guineas, Gr.1. Sire of 183 rnrs, 65 wnrs, inc. SW Madhmoon (Leopardstown Champions Juvenile S., Gr.2), Musis Amica, Second Generation, Haddaf, Mary Tudor, SP Bold Approach, Court House, Dawn Delivers, Fajjaj, etc. His oldest Aust.-bred progeny are 3YOs and inc SP Alyaasaat, Dawn Patrol, Gongs, Dawn Passage, Tahitian Dancer and of Condemned, Approach Discreet, Fairedu, Inflammable, Light My Day, etc.

1st dam

DISTANT DREAMS, by Shamardal. 7 wins from 1200m to 1600m, A$150,285, MVRC Sportingbet William Hill H., MRC Fisher & Paykel H., 2d MRC Isuzu Trucks H., 3d Ballarat TC Beyondblue H., MRC (Mornington) Car & Tyre Services H. Half-sister to DEJA BLUETriple Gold. This is her first foal.

2nd dam

MISS CHASKI, by Gone West. Winner at 2, 2d Newmarket Drink VK 2YO Fillies S. Sister to PEARL GREY, three-quarter-sister to TIME PRISONERChatham Islands (dam of BALTY BOYS), half-sister to ZENNOR. Dam of 7 named foals, all raced, 5 winners, inc:-

DEJA BLUE (Denman). 7 wins-1 at 2-to 1400m, A$294,725, to 2017-18, Geelong RC Rosemont Stud S., L, VRC Meadow Mist H., MVRC Fisher & Paykel H., MRC Le Pine Funerals H., Blue Star Group H., 2d MRC Le Pine Funerals H., Ladbrokes Odds Boost H., 3d TRC Bow Mistress S., Gr.3, MRC Catanach's Jewellers H.

Triple Gold (Teofilo). 2 wins at 1600m, 1750m, A$113,865, 2d VRC Taj Rossi Series Final H., L, MRC Bert Bryant H., Le Pine Funerals H., SAJC Book Fiesta Raceday H.

Distant Dreams. 7 wins. See above.

Conch. 9 wins from 1100m to 2000m, A$112,880 in Aust. Producer.

Racorza. Winner at 1400m in 2018-19 in Aust.

3rd dam

ZELANDA, by Night Shift. 4 wins-1 at 2-at 5f, 6f, Pontefract Flying Fillies S., L, Newmarket Bunbury S., Baileys' Irish Cream Liqueur S. Half-sister to EMILY BRONTE (dam of EARNSHAWLOCKWOOD). Dam of 10 foals, all raced, 7 winners, inc:-

TIME PRISONER (Elusive Quality). 6 wins from 1100m to 1600m, €107,600, 778,040Dhs in France and U.A.E, Maisons-Laffitte Prix de Ris-Orangis, Gr.3, Meydan Dubal Trophy, Longines Saint Imier Collection H., Saint-Cloud Prix Tarentelle, Maisons-Laffitte Prix le Pacha, 2d Maisons-Laffitte Prix Crystal Palace, Prix Mordant, 3d Meydan Dubai Duty Free H., Maisons-Laffitte Prix Dagor, 4th Meydan Mahab Al Shimaal S., Gr.3.

PEARL GREY (Gone West). 2 wins at 2, Newmarket Empress S., L, 2d Newmarket Cherry Hinton S., Gr.2, Ascot October S., L, 3d Chester Henry Gee S., L, Goodwood DeNovo 2YO S. Producer.

ZENNOR (Medaglia d'Oro). 5 wins from 1m to 9f, US$300,996, Saratoga Lure S., L, Keeneland Allowance.

Silver Seeker. 7 wins-1 at 2-from 6f to 2½m, Newmarket NGK Spark Plugs 2YO S.

Chatham Islands. Winner at 2, 2d Newbury Incentive Leisure Group Nursery H. Dam of-

BALTY BOYS (Cape Cross). 7 wins-1 at 2-from 6f to 9f, £222,084, Haydock Superior Mile, Gr.3, Newmarket Makfi Suffolk S., 32redsport.com H., Epsom Weatherbys Hamilton Insurance H., Newbury Irish Stallion Farms 2YO S., 2d Haydock Superior Mile, Gr.3, Ascot Gigaset International S., Haydock Racing Welfare H., Chester Aejis H., 3d Newmarket King Charles II S., L, Tattersalls Millions 2YO S., 4th Newmarket Middle Park S., Gr.1.

Dawn Approach X Distant Dreams Colt 
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2019 at 6:35pm
Got a love a grey.  Loved the sire from Royal Ascot on our Black Caviar trip and he's having a really good (if unlucky) week in England.  But wish he'd do a bit more here.  Maybe this boy can buck the trend.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2019 at 7:17pm
Cheers Furious.  Believe some trainers are making a mistake with him here, trying to get his stock up too quick.Even so he is/was still among the Top 10 1st and 2nd season sires.

His own best performances were Gp 1 wins in the Dewhurst over 1400m as a late 2yo and the 2000 Gns over 1600m as a 3yo.  His own sire was an Epsom Derby winner, his brother a Gp 2 winner over 1400m, and his two cousins were a Gp 3 winner over 1400m and a Listed place-getter over 2000m.  That speaks volumes imo.

I'll be trying to convince the trainer not to go too hard with him as he'll arguably be a Spring or Autumn 3yo over the 1400-1600 range.  Not that Robbie listens to much I suggest over the 30 years we've been associated.  CryEmbarrassed

But back to photos that can sometimes lie, or not.  What do people think on face value?
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2019 at 7:42pm
He looks correct and balanced in the overall view, his head looks plane but maybe the photo?, Legs look good. Nice deep girth. Looks strong.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2019 at 8:04pm
Thanks GAJ.  Here's an earlier tubbier, maybe better headed pic for comparison.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 34>