Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Conformation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

photo assessments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 34>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Ok folks, here's your chance to comment on the Medaglio D'Ora - Turnstiles filly that we recently bought a small share in following its sale at the recent MM.  Clearly the second photo was taken before her yearling prep had concluded.

ps I won't get the least bitter and twistedshould you all find a series of possible faults:  Wink

Lovely length of rein, good depth and nice lay of shoulder, strong looking, like a colt at first glance.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 4:00pm
What strikes me is the difference a pose &/or camera angle can make 😲
Look at those front legs in both pics 😲 Hopefully the lower one best depicts them Big smile
Having said that, she's lovely.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 9:25pm
She is.  And a pretty colour too .Wink
animals before people.
Kimberley Mine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 10:17am
She's well-proportioned, a pretty colour and will be quite elegant when she's fully grown.  I don't think I've ever seen an ugly MDO foal.

In the sales photo it looks like she has a very slight grazing foot in her left front.  If a horse continuously grazes with one foot in front and one behind, eventually the one behind will start to look clubby.  Contracted muscle on the back (weight-bearing) leg will pull up the deep digital flexor tendon which will pull up the heel relative to the toe. Attentive farriery, plenty of stretching, and perhaps a bit of in-hand dressage (for balance and equal strength on both sides) will mitigate this.  

Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 12:54pm
km summed it up beautifully

headed for the show ring

and the champion sash.
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 5:14pm
Significant improvement by the time picture 2 was taken. Filled out and grew more bone
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 9:33am
Well here we go again folks.

Here's a photo of our 2yo filly after she'd finished her first basic preparation a week or so ago.  Any comments would be appreciated.

Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 10:11am
Weeeellll I love it! 😁
Just watch that hoof/pastern angle. Should be the same. Makes a big difference if they have properly balanced, healthy hooves to race on.

“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 11:06am

Here's a photo of our 2yo filly after she'd finished her first basic preparation a week or so ago.  Any comments would be appreciated.

I like her shoulder lay and front, good angulation, nice length of rein, hope as she matures will get a bit more body (girth).
Stands covering a lot of ground, hope this translates into stride length.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 1:45pm
Horse A passed in for $50,000.  Horse B sold for $90,000.  We appear to have got it right.

Originally posted by Kimberley Mine Kimberley Mine wrote:

So about that posture and hind ends.

These two yearlings are up for sale at Inglis Classic.  They're by the same sire and are fairly close in age.  The dams are not closely related.  One's dam is unraced and has a nice track record of producing winners.  The other raced and won at metro level, is younger, and is similarly producing winners.

Here's horse A:

And here is Horse B:

Both horses have nice hips and good shoulders.  Both of them are immature-looking in front, although Horse B (who is the older of the two) looks like it still has a baby face whilst Horse A has a more mature head.  But the big deal comes in how they're standing.  Horse A is standing square and appears to be camped out behind.  If so, and it's not just this picture, this horse will have a more difficult time getting its legs under itself to push off and use the power of those hips.

Horse B has the spread hind legs...so it's impossible to tell if it's also camped out behind. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 3:43pm
Liked the look of this at first sight, however at second glance thought he may have had a particular fault.  Any comments including possible faults would be very much appreciated.

GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 4:49pm
at a quick glance, behind at the knee, also may have an overbite (doesn't worry me)
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 6:01pm

2nds, what’s her pedigree
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 6:04pm

Liked the look of this at first sight, however at second glance thought he may have had a particular fault.  Any comments including possible faults would be very much appreciated.

It could be the photo but my eyes are drawn to those off side pasterns
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 6:28pm
Shrunk, in answer to your query, the filly is by Skilled from Treasury Notes making her a half-sister to Money Maher.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 7:17pm
That last photo SC has put up.  Those back legs from hoof up to first joint area looks funny to me, but maybe just the photo. They look swollen ?
animals before people.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 7:23pm
Well I've seen a lot worse, a little short of rein and could be a little humor build up in hind joints otherwise nothing outlandish imo.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by GAJ GAJ wrote:

at a quick glance, behind at the knee, also may have an overbite (doesn't worry me)

I was going to suggest tied in below the knee Wink
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

That last photo SC has put up.  Those back legs from hoof up to first joint area looks funny to me, but maybe just the photo. They look swollen ?

The offside rear fetlock has a big swelling, prob an injury?
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

I was going to suggest tied in below the knee Wink
Behind at the knee is not good, prone to injury. Over at the knee is quite good and seems to work the opposite.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 5:56pm
The off front is slightly tilted forward giving the impression he is slightly " back" at the knee with the near fore, however all round he's not my cup of tea.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 10:07am
Thanks for everyone's input.  Star

I was most concerned about being back at the knee.
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 12:33am
Just sold for big bucks - do you see what I see?
Spearmint View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spearmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 8:38am
In the photo I don't like the look of the off fore leg in the Pastern area
"Nothing in the world is so powerful as an idea whose time has come"
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 9:03am
looks like a ring/side bone on the off fore, or maybe just superficial scarring from a paddock injury, I am sure an astute inspection would have sorted it..
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 10:30am
Aren’t the two front heels completely different? Like two different horses. One very low, and one very high?
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 11:08am
I can't get over the irregularity of heel height in all 4 feet & the bloody thing is only a yearling Angry
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 12:09pm
interestingly the hoof with the dodgy coronet has the most heel.
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 3:05pm
Both front legs from Knees down look very suspect. If expected to run early on its present set-up it would very likely break down
Spearmint View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Spearmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 12:22pm

looks like a ring/side bone on the off fore, or maybe just superficial scarring from a paddock injury, I am sure an astute inspection would have sorted it..

Agree GAJ, it was the potential ringbone that may be there that I saw.
Having said that, photos are mostly good for coat colour and a general first impression.
You must inspect the horse!
I have seen many photos that look good and when you see the yearling it was not what it looked like in the photo and also vice versa.

Anyway the yearling in question was by I Am Invincible and the hype on him with his results mean they generally sell for overs
"Nothing in the world is so powerful as an idea whose time has come"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 34>