Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Manhattan Rain

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote internat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Manhattan Rain
    Posted: 19 Apr 2009 at 1:29am
trainer and jockey both talking this fellows stud prospects up. hope not another premature retirement.

what do you guys think of his prospects? obviously an early maturing time and 2yo performed. cant deny the dam side being a half to redouttes.

i wouldnt call any of encosta sons a success. some are good value for money but none are commercial or world beaters. but this fellow would be the best performed 2yo encosta so gets every chance. not for mine but i hope we can find an encosta son before its too late.

bit like zabeel, no standout at stud and getting on in age.
andynr123 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andynr123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2009 at 1:32am
I reckon take him to the Caulfield Guineas.

If he wins, he will be worth more than any other unknown stud prospect.

I agree that none of Encosta's sons are really that sought after at stud, but the fact he is a half to Shantha's Choice surely makes him that much more valuable.
BAZZ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAZZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2009 at 1:45am
half to redoutes and out of shanthas choice i think you mean andy. Thumbs Up
tvlark View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvlark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2009 at 4:00am
annoyed me greatly both gai and nash flogging the horse as a stud prospect on tv. You don't see them do it with fillies...'she's going to make a super broodmare'.

One of Encosta's better chances at stud of course, but after today's PR performance I almost hope he's infertile.
troppo75 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troppo75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2009 at 4:12am
Ah larky you are a harsh man!

I think everyone would like to see him do well at stud. Maybe he is gay though.. could always hope for that eh?
Now having passed 1000 posts I feel you are all so much the wiser for my having said... stuff!
Flight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 11:35pm

MEDIA RELEASE

MANHATTAN RAIN TO ARROWFIELD STUD

Monday 1 March 2010

Glamour colt MANHATTAN RAIN (Encosta De Lago - Shantha’s Choice, by Canny Lad) has been retired from racing and will stand at Arrowfield Stud, Scone alongside his illustrious half brother Redoute’s Choice.

Manhattan Rain became his sire's first G1 winning 2YO colt when he triumphed in the 2009 AJC Sires' Produce Stakes. Other highlights of his 2YO racing career included a win in the G3 AJC Skyline Stakes and subsequent placings in the other two legs of the 2YO triple crown, the G1 STC Golden Slipper Stakes and the G1 AJC Champagne Stakes.

On completion of his 2YO season Manhattan Rain was rated joint leading colt on the ANZ Classifications at 114, only one point behind the Golden Slipper winning gelding Phelan Ready.

The Spring of Manhattan Rain’s 3YO career saw the colt finish third in the G1 MRC Caulfield Guineas followed by a brave second in Australasia’s premiere Weight For Age contest the MVRC W.S. Cox Plate.

Manhattan Rain’s only unplaced runs were in his only  two starts this Autumn and were clearly  affected by coltish behavior in the barriers.  It is for this reason the owner Mr Muzaffar Yaseen elected to retire the colt. Manhattan Rain goes to stud with placings in 9 of his 11 starts and career earnings of $1,311,200.

“Manhattan Rain is a lightly raced Group One winner by a Champion Stallion out of a Champion Broodmare.  His half brother Redoute’s Choice is an outstanding success at stud and we are delighted that Mr Yaseen has seen fit to place this colt’s stud career in Arrowfield’s care,” said Arrowfield Chairman John Messara.

Please contact John Messara on 0419 220 774 or jmm@arrowfield.com.au

Edited by Gay3 - 29 Apr 2018 at 2:22pm
“The probability of a certain set of circumstances coming together in a meaningful (or tragic) way is so low that it simply cannot be considered mere coincidence. ”
― V.C. King
Greg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 1:01am
Soft option, continuing racing was seen as diminishing his value. I'd say stopping it now proves it was flattered in the first place. Disappointing for racing.
lotto7 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lotto7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 1:33am
Will always be a question mark on this fellow. Can't blame connections for putting him to stud now as his value would have diminished even further had he kept racing. Certainly a very good horse but nowhere near as good as the wraps on him and should never have the champion tag attached to him. Wasn't even the best of his generation as a 2yo and way off the mark as an autumn 3yo. Well placed at Arrowfield and if he is going to make it than this is his best bet.
Mayor View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mayor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 1:48am
Group One winner, placed in three of Australia's premier events (Caulfield Guineas, Golden Slipper, Cox Plate), by champion sire from a champion broodmare,  from one of the world's premier thoroughbred families and last but not least, half brother to the once-in-a-lifetime champion stallion,... has a lot going for him! Tongue
Mayor
troppo75 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troppo75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 2:19am
He was a fine racehorse. Not quite top of the tree though. He always had the hype around him to suggest he would win at basically every start!

I can't say a bad thing about his looks, his breeding or even the time to retire! It's well done by the owners to set him off to stud now. Any further racing, and or losing would only make him look a less than perfect addition to anyone's stallion roster for 2010.

One must giggle though that Blake Shinn's assessment of MR run on Saturday was 'dissapointing'. I wonder whether Gai gave him a bollocking over such comments? It would not enhance his stallion career at all having a jockey say that.

So, forum. What will he stand at... by this you can generalize and suggest what you think he is worth....  and what Messara will put on him.

I think he is worth 35k.

Messara.. he will have to look at 50?

Now having passed 1000 posts I feel you are all so much the wiser for my having said... stuff!
reng View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 2:44am
So Flight, I guess you were right when we discussed him over the weekend.  I said that the owner didn't need the money at stud and would keep on racing him for fun.  But I guess that it's not much fun when he's not winning and/or living up to expectations!
The problem with Opportunity is that it wears overalls and looks like work.
sadlers wells View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadlers wells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 3:44am
Think he is worth 15-20k would consider at that ,Messara prob 35k
Run For Fun View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 4:15am
If the other EdL tyro Northern Meteor served a full book at 33k reckon this fellow should stand for rather more.  $38.5 to $44k imho.
It's hard to soar with eagles...

Cheers
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 7:24am
Definately not more than snitzel until he has the runs on the board
ianb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 7:57am
well he is a group winning 2yo and 2nd in a cox plate, a half to a golden slipper winner and champion stallion who started his first season at $33k so I think he will be the same, all their Danzero and Flying Spur mares will go to him, but can he work being an Encosta De Lago son, I have never seen him in the flesh so don't really know what mare type they should send him, but Miss Finland will get a number for sure.
The Kings Enemy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Kings Enemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 8:53am
What gets me, is why stand half brothers? Is Redoutes fertility becoming that much of a worry they want the half brother as well?

Its like when Coolmore tried standing Danehill and Eagle Eyed together - didnt work!
reng View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 7:11pm
But it gives people who can't afford one the option of the other.
The problem with Opportunity is that it wears overalls and looks like work.
dimevision View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimevision Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2010 at 5:20am
exactl and if they think he can be a success why not stand him regardless of whether they have the half brother or not?
straight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote straight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2010 at 6:45am
Originally posted by Run For Fun Run For Fun wrote:

If the other EdL tyro Northern Meteor served a full book at 33k reckon
this fellow should stand for rather more.  $38.5 to $44k imho.
Facts and figures will always speculation
he has to stand for more Wink
u dont have to b dead to b stiff
straight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote straight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2010 at 6:46am
thats beat speculation
u dont have to b dead to b stiff
Cityboy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cityboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2010 at 7:47am
Originally posted by The Kings Enemy The Kings Enemy wrote:

What gets me, is why stand half brothers? Is Redoutes fertility becoming that much of a worry they want the half brother as well?

Its like when Coolmore tried standing Danehill and Eagle Eyed together - didnt work!

The Danehill line mares can go to Manhattan Rain whereas they are unlikely to go to Redoute's
Cityboy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cityboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2010 at 7:51am
Originally posted by ianb ianb wrote:

well he is a group winning 2yo and 2nd in a cox plate, a half to a golden slipper winner and champion stallion who started his first season at $33k so I think he will be the same, all their Danzero and Flying Spur mares will go to him, but can he work being an Encosta De Lago son, I have never seen him in the flesh so don't really know what mare type they should send him, but Miss Finland will get a number for sure.

The half brother (ie: Redoute's) didn't actually win the Golden Slipper. He was scratched shortly before the race as a raging hot favourite.
ianb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2010 at 9:14am
dóh how silly of me,ment to say blue diamond.....i am not often wrong
wallinga View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallinga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2010 at 9:41pm
I think he's a twenty thousand stallion, but around the thirty mark is where he'll probably be.
buff View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 6:48am
He is a magnificent specimen this fellow and i think he will make it at stud big time, he had good enough race results to suggest he will make it but more importantly he looks like a stallion , the best sort i have seen go to stud since fastnet rock.
Romano View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Romano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 7:07am
Originally posted by wallinga wallinga wrote:

I think he's a twenty thousand stallion, but around the thirty mark is where he'll probably be.
Bet they start him at closer to 60KWink
orpen View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orpen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 8:00am
The challenge is for Encosta de Lago to demonstrate his ability to sire sires. His record to date is not flattering:

Does that put a greater onus on Shantha's Choice to produce the goods?

There is no question that MR is from a terrific female family, but will that suffice?

The fact that MR is the 1st EDL G1 winning colt from somewhat over 500 starters is not flattering.

I think the shortage of EDL 2yo winners in general, is an indicator that his sire sons, including MR and Northern Meteor, will not satisfy that 'early runner' demand of the market.

My view is that MR will need speed mares to be a success.

These are the EDL sons at stud.

Bramshaw (AUS) 2004Lago Delight (AUS) 2000
Classic De Lago (AUS) 2003Lone Wolf (AUS) 2005
Delago Brom (AUS) 1999Man Of Illusion (AUS) 2001
Delzao (AUS) 2000Northern Meteor (AUS) 2005
Encosta De Spoken (AUS) 2006Tender Foot (AUS) 2003
King De Lago (AUS) 2001Tuscanos (AUS) 1998

orpen View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orpen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 8:05am
Typo : meant G1 winning 2YO colt from over 500 starters...
orpen View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orpen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 8:15am
Typo : meant G1 winning 2YO colt from over 500 starters...
Daz View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 11:35am
is it fair to say that so far most of encosta's sons at stud came from off his earlier crops where the mares might not have been as good as he will /does get now?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>