Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Manhattan Rain

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sullenberger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by The Kings Enemy The Kings Enemy wrote:

What gets me, is why stand half brothers? Is Redoutes fertility becoming that much of a worry they want the half brother as well?

Its like when Coolmore tried standing Danehill and Eagle Eyed together - didnt work!
There is no comparison to Danehill and Eagle Eyed, they are half brothers which opens up the way for all the Danehill line mares to go to Manhatten Rain, got the pedigree, performance and conformation, Group One winning 2yo, you better believe it, he will attract a ripper book of mares, and any stud in the Sth Hemisphere would have taken him. Coolmore have seen plenty of Shanthas Choice, so they would have had an opportunity to get him, but with Yasseen keeping 50% or more, thats not their style ?
misty View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote misty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 11:32pm
I have enquired about Manhattan Rain for one of my mares.  I also indicated that I would love to look at Hussonet for her but that he would be outside my price range.
The reply was that the stud fees will not be set until after Easter sales ( as normal) but that there won't be much differental in the price between the 2.
It sounds like both horses fee will be out of my price range comfort zone. Though maybe Hussonet will have a reduction in stud fee considering his Melbourne Premier sale results.

lotto7 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lotto7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 12:59am
And also considering how his progeny are faring on the track. 
Flight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 1:25am
The worse it yet to come for Hussonet's supporters.  His 2008 fee was advertised at $137,500.  Last year it dropped to $71,500 and they can't really go much below $50,000 this coming season or they will be dealing their assess off with their faithful clients.

reng View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 2:50am
They ought to blame his age.  He was always going to be a short term prospect here, given his age when he arrived.  Look at other older sires, eventually their fees drop to much lower than their peak.
The problem with Opportunity is that it wears overalls and looks like work.
GK View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 11:40am

A few weeks ago Gay absolutely declared him to any sports journalist that would listen - He lost, I wonder how the Waterhouse Familt Trust faired that day? It's a familiar story with some of  her "stars". Mind you no matter what anyone says, 2nd in a COX PLATE is unquestionable class

lotto7 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lotto7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by Flight Flight wrote:

The worse it yet to come for Hussonet's supporters.  His 2008 fee was advertised at $137,500.  Last year it dropped to $71,500 and they can't really go much below $50,000 this coming season or they will be dealing their assess off with their faithful clients.

And all off the back of one exceptionally good galloper in Weekend Hussler. No doubt they milked him for all they could get and there is no one better in the business. These fellows could get milk out of a dry cow. But again, they are in business to maximise results.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by ianb ianb wrote:

well he is a group winning 2yo and 2nd in a cox plate, a half to a golden slipper winner and champion stallion who started his first season at $33k so I think he will be the same, all their Danzero and Flying Spur mares will go to him, but can he work being an Encosta De Lago son, I have never seen him in the flesh so don't really know what mare type they should send him, but Miss Finland will get a number for sure.

Not sure they would be rushing to send Miss Finland to Manhattan Rain as she is by Redoutes and he is a 1/2 brother to Redoutes.

This is in fact one of the major limiting factors for Manhattan Rain, in that he really can't really see mares by the two best stallions in the country in Redoutes Choice and Encosta De Lago.

Still, he is fine for any other Danehill line or Zabeel, More Than Ready, Red Ransom, Tale of the Cat, Dehere etc

Standing 1/2 brothers at the same farm is no problem at all. When John Messara stood two Golden Slipper winning sons of Danehill a few people told him it wasn't a great idea and look how that has turned out.

If this horse doesn't make it than Encosta won't be a sire of sires, but I suspect he will become a champion sire in years to come, he just has too much going for him.
Off and racing View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off and racing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 5:20pm
What's everyones thoughts 4 seasons on?
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 5:29pm
Just three winners from 24 starters (though one Gp 3 winner in Adelaide) in his debut season off a stud fee of $49.5k which has since lowered to $41.250k, $33k, $27.5k and now $16.5k.

whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 8:48pm
His breeding as we know is outstanding....however in the sale ring he is a flop.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off and racing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 8:53pm
What about the yearlings sold last year and this year over 200K and his average at the major sales is pretty respectable isnt it, which indicates he can throw a good type or am I seeing things the wrong way?
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 8:59pm
14 were up for sale at Magic Millions National sale earlier this month. Average price $14,042 with highest $52k.

1     Manhattan Rain (AUS)     14     12     1     1     168500.00     52500.00     14042

I liked a few but steered clear as those that have started did nothing for me. Due to his breeding, I can see him as a strong broodmare sire. I think a MR filly would be the best go.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off and racing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 9:17pm
Yer the couple I have seen have looked like good types.

Redoutes is going to be a superstar broodmar sire based on what he has done so far so it makes sense the MR will also produce decent broodmare prospects. Next years major sales will be interesting to see how MR goes...
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 9:28pm
Teeley still kept a lot of stock but I noticed that he sold a lot of the MR. I took that as a sign. Could be misguided by me....but there are better value and WELL performed options. Still will be on the lookout for a very cheap MR filly for breeding.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by whitt0 whitt0 wrote:

Teeley still kept a lot of stock but I noticed that he sold a lot of the MR. I took that as a sign. Could be misguided by me....but there are better value and WELL performed options. Still will be on the lookout for a very cheap MR filly for breeding.

They didn't sell everything lock stock and barrel ?

There were quite a few interestingly mated mares from Teeley at the MMS.
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off and racing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 9:36pm
Be interested to know how many mares went to MR in his first season that didn't belong to Teeley or Arrowfield, I did go thru his first crops on ASB but too lazy to go back thru and do the numbers. Off my memory Teely had a lot of mares that went to MR so this may be some of the reason behind the number of MR stock compared to other sires at the reduction sale (I would not know how many mares Teeley owns). The other thing may be that Arrowfield and Teeley wanted to pump up his first book with mare numbers so they sent him quiet a few to make him look a more attractive proposition at his high first season fee, could have been embarising to go to stud with hype he did and only get a book of 50 to 70
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 9:39pm
Not sure how many they still kept.

Just watching Bred to Win and I wish we had better access to Alamosa. Nice strong types.
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 9:55pm
88 out of 105 mares were non Teeley from his 2011 crop. However - approx half of the 88 were Arrowfield mares
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off and racing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 10:00pm
So it sounds like it was a contingency plant then if the stallion served a book of less then 50 outside mares in his first year. Bet someone regretted setting the fee too high. I could imagine they took a bit on board when it came to pricing Smart Missile.

At the same time though guess atleast he served a reasonble quality of book.
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 1:44pm
Where do opinions sit about him now? His 3yos look to be going OK. His stats are much better now albeit still disappointing given the quality of the mares he served.

I looked at a couple at MM on the weekend and vendors didn't seems that confident despite them being nice types.
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 4:13pm
I like them but most of that sale is geared to early 2 year olds which MR does generally not throw that type.

I can understand the vendors concern on maximising value.

Certainly very nice 3 year olds and I can see one of his progeny winning an Oaks or Derby soon.
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 4:44pm
The Australian yearling market tends to dump them pretty quickly. Right now I'd be reluctant to make a call on MR one way or another. I'd say the negativity probably comes from trainers who've had a few that couldn't beat their own shadow. It's also based on expectations. His stats would be much better regarded if he was a $9k stallion from Vic or Qld.
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 5:21pm
Agree re:cost - however he is one of the stallions I am considering for one of my mares.  

I wont be selling the progeny for that one at MM.

Flight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 6:00pm
Don't forget he would have served some very good mares in his first season just to get the ball rolling.

“The probability of a certain set of circumstances coming together in a meaningful (or tragic) way is so low that it simply cannot be considered mere coincidence. ”
― V.C. King
RickoSharkus View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickoSharkus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 5:03pm
Just completed a terrific Sales Season with an average of over $46k at the MM Winter Sale (which was good for that sale). This was on top of 5 selling at Easter for $316k ave and top price of $700k. On the track had 29 winners from 56 runners with 3 Stakes Winners this Season with his 3yo crop. All 3 Stakes winners beyond 1600m which might tell the story of where he sits (only the 2 x 2yo winners from 12 runners this Season). Would imagine his results stack up really well considering he's at $16.5k fee now.
You only appreciate a fast one when you've owned lots of slow ones !!
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2017 at 8:42am
Just sired his first G1 winner in South Africa.  The Keniworth J & B Met over 2000m.  (or run this year as the sun met celebrated with mumm.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2017 at 12:37pm
Must of been one of the richest races run in South Africa as the exchange works out as $491,747 (5,000,000 Rand).

Also on the day had the 2nd, 4th and 6th in the Cape Derby (G1).  The second horse out of Sybarite a daughter of Procrastinate from the family of the Melbourne Cup winner Rainbird.
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2017 at 6:34pm
And the site of this year's slipper winner

His stats are quite good ATM
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2017 at 6:35pm
Sire

Not site

Bugger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>