Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > Member Interviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Get to know- JIM CASSIDY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KangaMick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Get to know- JIM CASSIDY
    Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 10:54pm
I had the pleasure earlier this week to chat to one of Australia's all time great jockeys JIM CASSIDY. The Pumper has had a long and distinguised career to date. He has ridden many great horses like Rough Habit, Tristanagh, Shaftesbury Avenue, Innocent King,Dr Grace, Yippyio, and more recently Might and Power. He has ridden with great success throught out Australia, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Japan and Singapore.

When I caught up with Jimmy on the phone this is what he had to say:-

Hi Jimmy how are you, it’s Michael.

Yeah good thanks Michael....

Thanks again for taking part in this interview.

No worries....

Where were you born and where do you live now?

I was born in Wellington New Zealand...and I am now living in Sydney, Arcadia...

When did you realise you wanted to become a jockey, at what age?

Ahhh about Eight....

And why was that?

I guess my size had to do a bit with it, but my mum and dad were racing people, not really a racing background, we used to spend the weekends at the races, so something I always wanted to do.....

Back in Hastings you were an Apprentice to Patrick Campbell, how tough was it back in those days compared to today?

Well certainly the money wasn’t as good as it is today, but I suppose it is like everything in life, you’ve got to have, you know things aren’t always that easy you’ve got to be a little bit tough which it was back then in the early 70’s....

I believe you used to ride your bike to work every morning?

I did, I used to ride easy 5 to 6 kms to work every morning and then I would finish about 7am, ride back home and get ready for school and spent a year and a half at school up there, I was up at 3.30-4.00am every morning, started work at 7am, finishing then getting back home then off to school again....

When you won the Melbourne Cup in 1983 on Kiwi I believe you were on a weekly wage of $18.50. Was it hard to fathom back then just how much of a big win it was in the Melbourne up?

Ah look for sure, I had just  signed up for another year of my apprentice and as you said I was on about $18.50 a week and a had just won a Melbourne Cup, it was something pretty special....

You must have been a bit of a cult hero back In New Zealand riding a horse called ‘Kiwi’!

Well it was an enormous moment to win Australia’s Greatest race with a horse called Kiwi, being a kiwi and coming from last and giving them all a start and beating them.....

When you were over in Australia you won 8 Group One’s on Rough Habit. One of my favourite horses back in the early 90’s, which one of those Group Ones would stand out the most for you and why?

I think the Stradbroke win when he drew the outside barrier.....

Was that the first Stradbroke win or the second one?

The second one, he drew the outside barrier, carried 9 stone, he had a pretty tough task trying to win and he was able to do it, he was just a freak....

Would Rough Habit be one of your fav horses of all time?

Ah without a doubt...

In 2001 you finally won your Golden Slipper on Ha Ha to give you the Big 4 of the MC, CC, CP and GS. There are now 6 of you that have done that feat, amazing achievement, would that be one of the main highlights of your career to date?

Look for sure, I won the Big 4, I won a Brisbane Derby, a Sydney Derby and a Melbourne Derby. So putting them among the 4 I have won Derby’s in each of the 3 main states....

I noticed that when I was doing some research you have won 3 QLD Derby’s, 3 AJC Derby’s and 2 VRC Derby’s. There must be something about you and 2400mtr races?

Well that’s what it comes to, a bit of patience, a couple of Melbourne Cups, Caulfield Cups, mile and a half, I like riding over a distance. You have got to get the thinking cap on, judge the pace  it’s a little bit harder than just trying to win a sprint race....

Ok, Might and Power, when did you realise that he was going to be that good, when was the moment?

I rode him in a 2 win race as a 3 year old against 3, 4 and 5 year olds over 1900m at Canterbury. And I thought his efforts that day were something special. And I always regarded him as a cups horse..

In the 1997 Melbourne Cup when you hit the line Dorimeus was flying down the outside Greg Hall went up as though he had won the race, was there a split second there where you thought ‘Oh my God I’ve been done’?

Yes for sure, well I thought I had done all the donkey work, ridden him a treat and got done right on the line. I wasn’t sure. I trotted up to Johnny Letts who was there to interview jockeys after the race, and I said to Lettsy, what numbers in the frame, and he said 3, and I said ‘You Beauty’. And it was nice to see Greg Hall celebrating for running second in the Melbourne Cup...

What’s the best horse you have ridden that never reached its full potential?

That’s a hard one, yeah, Ahh yeah a horse of Gai’s I rode as a 2 year old, Untouchable. He never really showed his true potential. I thought he was a very  good horse and he went amiss in his lead up race to the Golden Slipper....

What’s the best horse you have seen but never ridden?

Makybe Diva. What she did will probably never be done again...

Throughout your long career, who are the 3 best jockeys you have ridden against?

Lester Piggott, .....who else, Frankie Dettori, and.........Ronny Quinton.

In the ranks today, who are the 2 top apprentices coming up that we should be keeping an eye on?

The Berry boys.  Tommy and Nathan. They have a lot going for them as their birthday is the same day as mine.

You must feel like the old man in the jockey’s room now?

Oh well they haven’t got much on me yet!

What’s the weirdest sling you ever received?

The smallest sling I ever got when I was promised the biggest won was probably $300 and I gave it back to the trainer and told him to put it back in his pocket and let it grow and give it back to me once it had grown.....

You have been around for a long time, you are a very competitive jockey, what’s kept you at the top for so long. Is it your judge of pace, your patience, your quick thinking, your ability to relax a horse?

My love for the game!

When you do finally hang up the saddle, which I hope isn’t for a long time, what do you want to do? Would you stay in the Industry?

I’ll stay in the Industry weather it’s a bit of guest speaking about racing and my life, and maybe train a horse for my wife one day.

OK time for a few quick ones....

Golf Handicap- 13

Fav Movie:- Arthur ..Dudley Moore

Brian Mayfield-Smith: - Very professional, tough boss, but a very good boss. We knocked off TJ Smith, marvellous combination.

Fav Holday Destination:-  Singapore

Alltime fav All Black:- A halfback Sid Going. He was a freak. And now it would be Dan Carter.

Nick Moraitis:-Been a great owner, put a lot of money into racing.

Last $100- Look after my 3 daughters and wife and what I had left I would give to my Charity Diabetes.

Who would play you in a movie about your life- My cheeky wife said Basil Faultey.... Ah lets think that’s a good one.....probably Ray Murrihy, ha ha,ha

Who would be your leading Lady- Sandra Bullock

When can we expect to see you back-Hopefully by the end of the month.

Jimmy mate thank you very much for taking part I’ll send you the link once it is up on the web site. Ringa a Ding Ding you are still the King!!!

2007 JASBTC Champion,2008 JASBTC Runner-Up. NSW Surge-Aussie LFL Champions 2013/14
Short_Half_Head View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Short_Half_Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 11:02pm

Great interview thanks Mick

Jolls View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 11:04pm
Great stuff Mick Thumbs Up
Season 2012 = 102 Years since Collingwood has beaten Carlton in a Grand Final.
Ormond View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ormond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 11:09pm

Great interview Kanga,Jimmy is a hard case Thumbs Up Great sense of humour

Tommo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 11:20pm
love your work Mick!  Excellent reading.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 11:29pm
Kanga that is a great piece son well done on your efforts
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 11:30pm
Sorry I meant to put these in Clap Clap Clap Star Star Star Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Ying Yang
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
BROOKE View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BROOKE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 11:46pm
I will never forget standing infront of the winning post for the Melbourne cup cheering Might and Power for the final 400 metres. Was losing my voice. I actually cheered "Go Jimmy, Go, keep going". I urged Jimmy even more than the horse.

Then a year later to be in the grandstand watching Might and Power power to the Cox Plate.

One of the most eerie things I saw, was when the Caulfield Cup was run, Might and Power was a still an unknown horse really, but guys were whipping bins, using their formguides as whips, riding the horse all the way to the post, going crazy, and then you just see Jimmys arm go up, for 100 metres past the post, and then finally other horses went past and it felt like another 5 seconds before they did. Gave me goosebumps.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 1:13am
fantastic interview
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 1:13am
That Caulfield Cup win was huge. I didn't back him that day but I did show a few people the replay of his very unlucky run in the AJC Derby. The writing was on the wall after that race.

Good IV, Mick.
Sunline...simply supreme
big balls View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 1:55am
Top stuff Mick, seems a top Guy, And is still the Best Jock in
Australia, Go Jimmy
DiamondsAtDusk View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiamondsAtDusk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 3:48am
Love it Mick, great work, fantastic interviewClap
We Started Nothing.
reldas View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reldas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 4:06am
Thumbs Up Great stuff Kanga, and excellent pics to accompany dialogueClap
Success demands singleness of purpose
gregoryross View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregoryross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 4:59am
Jim is a great bloke and so is his manager , Matt Privato.

Matt is a great person to have a yarn to and I wish him and Jim all the best when Jim comes back to the saddle.
Peter B View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 5:20am
Great interview Mick!! Top jobThumbs Up
the only certainty in racing is the uncertainty!
vontastic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vontastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 5:40am

i think i saw an interview with  Jimmy stating he had a dream before his win on Kiwi in MC that he was last in race  then stormed home to win   sometimes dreams come true

Great interview MickClap
wizzbong View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wizzbong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 6:13am
Great interview,Great jockThumbs Up
UUMMM i dont know!!!!
Run For Fun View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 6:27am
Top stuff Kanga.  Star
It's hard to soar with eagles...

Cheers
Gee Gee View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gee Gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 7:02am
Good stuff.

If Jimmy gives training a go i think he'd do pretty well.
Maximillions View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximillions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 7:07am
Yeah baby
Forget the odds.....You are Unstoppable !
andynr123 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andynr123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 7:36am
Great interview Mick, some interesting answers there!
Muss View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 7:55am
That win of Rough Habit was outstanding. Near last on the turn and sideways twice in the straight. I'll never forget the hunger to win by both horse & jock. A great racing moment.

Same horse filled the quinella both years. Can't remember it's name. Q paid about $3.50 the 1st year & $40 the 2nd. Initials were BB I think. Someone will know.

No mention of K Moses. Quite a rivalry in their day. Verbal especially.
Keyboard Warrior
Nick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 8:09am
Barosa Boy.

Good interview but $300 is a lot of money!
Muss View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 8:12am
Thanks but i think I got it wrong.'91 Barossa Boy was 3rd & 2nd in '92.

Too many cab savs tonight.

Keyboard Warrior
Muss View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 8:13am
St jude 2nd?
Keyboard Warrior
Nick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 8:17am
BB beat Roughie in a 10,000 once.
Muss View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 8:18am
Well lets face it. Jimbo is a colourful racing identity. Racing needs more like him Big smile
Keyboard Warrior
Benhro View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benhro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 12:09pm
AWESOME INTERVIEW MATE, Can we put in requests for who you can interview next? I think you should interview. D MOOR = GUN
Dot your I's, and cross your T's..................
KangaMick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KangaMick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 6:24pm
Glad everyone enjoyed the interview. Top bloke to have a chat with. When you look at the horses he has ridden he has had one hell of a top career to date.

Lots hope he's back in the saddle real soon and booting home the winners.  I loved the Ray Murrihy answer..ha ha ha.

Edited by KangaMick - 05 Nov 2009 at 6:25pm
2007 JASBTC Champion,2008 JASBTC Runner-Up. NSW Surge-Aussie LFL Champions 2013/14
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 6:43pm
Good interview KM

Jim has a golf green in the backyard of his home lol,talk about loving golf.

The Pumper is a top bloke and is always there for charity when help is needed
EAD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>