Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > Member Interviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Get to know- JIM CASSIDY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Get to know- JIM CASSIDY
    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 5:21pm
geez - his head would have been going ringer ding ding
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 2:52pm
I wonder if Tony Mokbell will get to visit him.
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 2:03pm
Part 2

The airbag went off. I've never seen one go off before. With all the dust, I thought the car was on fire. I was panicking so I was just trying to get out. They found me staggering around on the road."

Cassidy was rushed by ambulance to Westmead Hospital where he remains in a stable condition.

"I've got a sore head and a sore body but I'm blessed," he said.

"I have a little bit of bleeding on the brain but that's stopped, according to the neurosurgeons. My head is quite big. My head smashed into the driver's side window. It was swelling up right before my Mum's eyes yesterday. The right side of my face is so sore. They were giving me morphine but it didn't seem to work.

"I'm looking to being discharged tomorrow [Tuesday] with bruising to the body and just the trauma of it. It threw me around the car a lot. I'm just very thankful that I had a seat belt on and the airbag worked. Very, very luck boy."

One of the sport's greatest jockeys before retiring in 2015, Cassidy suffered numerous race falls and injuries throughout his illustrious riding career.

His worst came in 1991 when he was catapulted off the Rick Hore-Lacy-trained Diddy Do It in the Blue Diamond Stakes at Caulfield. As Cassidy lay prone on the ground, the fallen horse slid over the top of him.

Renowned for having a high pain threshold, Cassidy didn't go to hospital but X-rays later revealed he had a 14-centimetre crack in his sternum.

"I would rather fall off a horse any day than experience what I just experienced," Cassidy said.

"Last night, I was trying to sleep but I kept seeing this car coming at me. I've never been a speeder. Driven all over Australia and New Zealand, five or six hours to race meetings, but I'm very cautious on the road. I would only speed on horses. The faster they go the better. But not in cars."

He added: "I keep getting a lot of text messages of support. I've got a lot of living and laughing to do yet, brother. I'm not going anywhere. I was supposed to take Vick to dinner on Saturday night. I haven't been home yet. I'm still at the hospital."

Cassidy said he was yet to be contacted by police about the accident.

"I'm worried about my golf clubs and shoes," he quipped. "Normally it would be my riding gear but now that I play golf three times a week I'm worried about my golf gear. Do you know how hard it is to find a pair of size five golf shoes?"

Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 2:02pm
Hall of Fame Kiwi jockey Jim Cassidy has revealed how close he came to death after being involved in a horror head-on car accident on Saturday.

Cassidy, 53, suffered bleeding on the brain and bruising to his body after a car allegedly veered onto the wrong side of the road and collided with the retired hoop's trusted Nissan X-Trail while taking a corner in wet conditions.

The accident occurred not far from Lynwood Country Club in Sydney's north-west where Cassidy had that afternoon played golf with former Australian cricketer Doug Bollinger and watched The Autumn Sun's dramatic win in the Randwick Guineas.

He was on the phone to his wife, Vicki, when the accident happened.

"I thought I was dead," Cassidy said from his hospital bed. "I don't know how I got out of it the way I did but I did.

"We were going around a corner. The other bloke came to the corner, I could see him, I was 50 metres away. All of a sudden, he went bang into my windscreen. He lost control on the wet road and just hit me head on. I had nowhere to go. If I went to the left, I would've hit a tree.
Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 1:52pm
I wouldnt know about that SC Confused 
LOL
animals before people.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 1:50pm
Good to hear.

You know what they say about jockeys: small bodies, big dic cars.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 1:46pm
Happened out Hawkesbury way, but his wife says he is OK.  If he had been driving a smaller vehicle he would have been a lot worse. She said.
animals before people.
horseshoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horseshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 12:41pm
Jim Cassidy is in a Sydney hospital with head injuries after a car accident
Those who know don't tell, Those who tell don't know
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 8:22pm
Horlicks, I think he liked tea, el , and ce ,!
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 5:47pm
Maybe he likes tea Carioca

LOL
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 2:06pm
That should read Snowy Lupton.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 2:03pm
Yep, time flies Macca,never forget trainer of Kiwi Snowy Lipton, when asked how he got that horse, replied I went to buy a yearling and as I was walking out the door my wife said , if you must buy one , make it a chestnut by Blarney Kiss, and that's how it all came about, I think he sired another one too, Kensei, time flies, money flies, and Blowflies!
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 1:17am
How time flies .       I remember Jimmy and his pleasant wife & 2 daughters about 1990 when he won a few for us.        He rode a lot for Kerry Jordon at that time .
    Can't believe those little girls would be about 30 now .

Makes one realise how short our time is in this big wide world .

KIWI only seems like yesterday too.
tillyras View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillyras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 12:11am
just googled him, was recently in Darwin for the Cup (as mentioned above)

Hopes high for clashing Darwin Cup Carnival events

NT News

TWO major social events of the Darwin Cup Carnival are both expecting to be successful despite competing against each other.

For the first time in several years the Carbine Club and the Darwin Turf Club will hold separate events on Thursday, July 28, in the lead-up to the Darwin Cup on Monday August 1.

The DTC event will include the Magic Millions Tried Horse Sale, an auction of racehorses brought north for wet season racing, and has attracted major racing identities Peter Moody and Melbourne Cup winning jockey Michelle Payne.

Darwin Turf Club chairman Brett Dixon. PICTURE: Aaron Burton

The Carbine Club luncheon will be held at the Convention Centre and is a major fundraising event for junior sport, contributing $80,000 last year.

DTC Chairman Brett Dixon said the two events had been held together with the horse sales occurring at the end of the Carbine lunch. However, this year’s Convention Centre location made it impractical to transport the horses there.

“The Convention Centre is a bigger venue for the Carbine Club which attracts 670 people plus a waiting list,” Mr Dixon said. “It just isn’t practical to transport the horses in, set up temporary stables, have vets and handlers around for the sale. We don’t believe it will have a negative impact on either event.”

The Tried Horse Sales have proved critical for the racing industry and those who bought horses. Last year 11 horses were sold for a total of $127,500, generating $292,321 in winnings for the owners.

In 2014, 14 horses were sold for $151,500 generating $259,899 in stakes. This year at least eight horses will go under the hammer.

Carbine Club chairman David De Silva agreed both events will be successful.

“We needed a bigger space and it offered up better audio visual choices for us,” he said. “We’ve sold 580 tickets already. “

Carbine Club guests include a special panel of jockey Jim Cassidy, Malcolm Johnson and Dr Turf moderated by Fox presenter Matt Campbell.

The entertainment will be Ray Martin and 12th Man Billy Birmingham.

Tickets are $200 each.

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 12:07am
Originally posted by deejays destiny deejays destiny wrote:

Saw Jim in Darwin recently, he's looking well in retirement.

I only asked my son today what Cassidy was doing now .
     We had an association with him and the Kerry Jordan Clan in the early 90"s.   Winning a few in Sydney .      Shane Dye won the Listed  STC Winter Cup for us in 1991  ( Jimmy was suspended ) on one named Webster's Wish .
    Fun days.
deejays destiny View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deejays destiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2016 at 11:23am
Saw Jim in Darwin recently, he's looking well in retirement.
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 6:22pm
Arnie and Devito?
EAD
Maximillions View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximillions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 5:35pm
..I tried that once with Twins    seemed to work quite well
Forget the odds.....You are Unstoppable !
KangaMick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KangaMick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 3:35pm
Going to go after the two Berry boys for the next interview. Try and get both done at the same time.
2007 JASBTC Champion,2008 JASBTC Runner-Up. NSW Surge-Aussie LFL Champions 2013/14
questions View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 12:14am
brilliant interview kanga, finally got around to checking it out. well done

and great to see another great character in racing. great read and hopefully he gets back soon
"it's not gambling if you're absolutely sure you're gonna win" Barney Stinson
michaell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 7:49pm
Very good interview,

Cant say im a fan myself however (admittedly talking through the pocket) much prefer the newer generation of jocks, ala Michael Rodd & co.
Thats racing
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 7:23pm
Nice interview Kanga Mick

Pumper is one of the most talented jockeys I seen, right up there in the Peter Cook class.

Horses run for Jimmy. It's incredible to see him on a leader, his judgment of pace is uncanny, and he can invariably conjure a length or two out of a horse when it seems gone.

Some of his rides on Rough Habit were amongst the best I've ever seen and even though he has had a colourful history, he is a supreme talent and has added a lot of interest to the game.

Good job Mick.
KangaMick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KangaMick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 6:53pm
Yeah he does a lot of work for Diabetes Australia.  

He's also got a 4 hole course in his back yard by all accounts. If he didn't have the hand injury I would of asked to do the interview in person and maybe get a few holes in with him!!    Might do a follow up in 6 months and get the chance then!!
2007 JASBTC Champion,2008 JASBTC Runner-Up. NSW Surge-Aussie LFL Champions 2013/14
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 6:50pm
Excellent reading Kanga!

Pumpa has chosen the right charity being a diabetic myself!
Current Stable - Soul Star & Adivinar + Lady Vega
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 6:43pm
Good interview KM

Jim has a golf green in the backyard of his home lol,talk about loving golf.

The Pumper is a top bloke and is always there for charity when help is needed
EAD
KangaMick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KangaMick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 6:24pm
Glad everyone enjoyed the interview. Top bloke to have a chat with. When you look at the horses he has ridden he has had one hell of a top career to date.

Lots hope he's back in the saddle real soon and booting home the winners.  I loved the Ray Murrihy answer..ha ha ha.

Edited by KangaMick - 05 Nov 2009 at 6:25pm
Benhro View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benhro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 12:09pm
AWESOME INTERVIEW MATE, Can we put in requests for who you can interview next? I think you should interview. D MOOR = GUN
Dot your I's, and cross your T's..................
Muss View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 8:18am
Well lets face it. Jimbo is a colourful racing identity. Racing needs more like him Big smile
Keyboard Warrior
Nick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 8:17am
BB beat Roughie in a 10,000 once.
Muss View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 8:13am
St jude 2nd?
Keyboard Warrior
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>