Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Snitzel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stagg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snitzel
    Posted: 03 Oct 2009 at 2:46am
Got a double at the trials at Rosehill this morning. One of Paul Messara's and one of Gerald Ryan's that i'm told he bred himself.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2009 at 2:56am
I was underbidder on Paul's Snitzel filly Milanesa. She made good money but was a cracking yearling.

I see she only won narrowly and ran pretty average time, so maybe I dodged a bullet.
Nocturnal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nocturnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2009 at 2:58am
Thats good , ithink he will do a job. Hoping as i have one
Adladain View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adladain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2009 at 3:04am
yeah, i'm hoping his progeny are worth their money. i've got one- Sheila's Star (Snitzel-Northeast Sheila)
Daintree Duke R.I.P
Nocturnal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nocturnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2009 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by soothsayer soothsayer wrote:

I was underbidder on Paul's Snitzel filly Milanesa. She made good money but was a cracking yearling.

I see she only won narrowly and ran pretty average time, so maybe I dodged a bullet.

Watched the trial soothsayer , although slow time she was very professional and a very sound good trial
Nocturnal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nocturnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2009 at 8:01pm
*sound effort, good trial
lotto7 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lotto7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2009 at 8:17pm
Really like Snitzel but there has not been a lot of talk about his progeny leading up to the breeding season and trails. Does cast a shadow of doubt as they are always quick to spruke a good one. That said, still believe he will make it as a sire.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2009 at 9:01pm
Yeah I just saw the trial Nocturnal, I think she was just there for a day out and still won so maybe she has something. I hope she does run, I want my client to give me a crack next year!

I too like Snitzel as a stallion prospect. For a smaller neater horse he has thrown quite a few big scopey types, this filly a good example.

He was a genuine 2yo and trained on. He might make 1st season sire honours interesting.
orpen View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orpen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2009 at 9:09pm
Doesn't seem to stamp them which can go against a stallion. Doesn't mean they won't gallop, but tells the buyer he isn't dominant. At the MM I sometimes try guessing the yearling's stallion without looking at the catalogue page. I distinctly remember one baby, a chestnut with a big white blaze. I could have sworn it was a Peintre Celebre, even though there wasn't one in the sale. The yearling was by Snitzel out of a PC mare. Looked nothing like Snitzel.
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2009 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by orpen orpen wrote:

Doesn't seem to stamp them which can go against a stallion. Doesn't mean they won't gallop, but tells the buyer he isn't dominant. At the MM I sometimes try guessing the yearling's stallion without looking at the catalogue page. I distinctly remember one baby, a chestnut with a big white blaze. I could have sworn it was a Peintre Celebre, even though there wasn't one in the sale. The yearling was by Snitzel out of a PC mare. Looked nothing like Snitzel.

Maybe, or maybe its the lunchtime comming through.
orpen View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orpen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2009 at 10:17pm
Could be Bradjm. I also reckon Choisir is more Lunchtime than DD.
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2009 at 11:07pm
yeah it always has me beat anyway, i try to play that guessing game at the sales and have a success rate of about 3% :)

stagg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stagg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2009 at 5:07pm
saw both trials on the tv. agree with nocturnal re milanesa and was impressed with Intertidal. although ridden out a bit ran good time and attacked the line. looks like a miler in the making too not a mad runner.
stagg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stagg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2009 at 7:45am
Intertidal ran an enormous race to run 2nd in the first at rosehill today. 4 deep the trip and went down by half a length to one that was 3rd the fence and got the suck run. had a look at him nice horse in the yard, still 12 months away plenty of growing into himself to do and did look a run short.
nod. View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2009 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by orpen orpen wrote:

Doesn't seem to stamp them which can go against a stallion. Doesn't mean they won't gallop, but tells the buyer he isn't dominant. .

Actually all "stamping" restricted to appearance is pretty meaningless and buyers placing emphasis  on this have no respect for the old adage "beauty is only skin deep"
The best form of "stamping" comes on the racecourse when junior runs as dad did.
Cityboy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cityboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2009 at 5:28pm
I remember John Messara saying early in Redoubte's stallion career that he seemed to throw a variety of types and different colours unlike his Dad.

It didn't seem to matter.
Nocturnal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nocturnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2009 at 3:45am
Originally posted by stagg stagg wrote:

Intertidal ran an enormous race to run 2nd in the first at rosehill today. 4 deep the trip and went down by half a length to one that was 3rd the fence and got the suck run. had a look at him nice horse in the yard, still 12 months away plenty of growing into himself to do and did look a run short.

Very good run , Agree. The filly looked a little disapointing though.
stagg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stagg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2009 at 7:17am
Snitzel Opens His Account
Mark Smith - Saturday, 24 October 2009

Former top sprinter Snitzel has been as fast off the mark at stud as he was on the track. His son Intertidal opened his winning account in Saturday's www.theraces.com.au Hcp (1100m) at Rosehill.

A strong finishing second when making his career debut at Rosehill on October 10, Intertidal was sent straight to the front by Chris Munce and cruised home a 3 1/4-length winner over Misshiraz (Secret Savings) with Circle Of Power (Arena) third.

Trainer Gerald Ryan should know a thing or two about the family.

"I trained the father (Snitzel), mother (Miss Rainmaker) and mothers sire (Hurricane Sky)," Ryan revealed.

"He has come a long way in a short space of time. Not long ago I told the owners he was no good, he had shown nothing."

"I'm very glad to have trained Snitzel's first winner."

A homebred, Intertidal is the first live foal of the Hurricane Sky mare Miss Rainmaker who won her first two starts at Wyong and Randwick before finishing last in the 2005 Light Fingers Stakes (G2). She had one further start before being retired.

She has been a regular visitor to the court of Snitzel (pictured) with a yearling colt and a filly foal by the Oakleigh Plate (G1) hero.

After being well supported by breeders in his first three seasons at a fee of $33,000, the fleet-footed son of Redoute's Choice has had his fee reduced to $22,000 this season.

stagg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stagg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2009 at 7:21am

First Winner For Snitzel

Saturday, 24 October 2009: Fittingly, Gerald Ryan goes down as the trainer to prepare the first winner by G1 Oakleigh Plate winner Snitzel, with Intertidal notching the milestone for the stallion today.

Snitzel
Snitzel
Photo by Bronwen Healy

Purchase this image

Having start number two after debuting with a solid second to Lohan at Rosehill two weeks ago, Intertidal justified his short price in the market and his backers had no cause for concern at any stage of the 1100m race.

Ryan pointed out that he not only trained Snitzel, but also Intertidal's dam Miss Rainmaker, in addition to her sire Hurricane Sky.

Miss Rainmaker won two races, while Hurricane Sky's career was highlighted by his track record breaking win in the 1994 G1 Blue Diamond Stakes.

Intertidal is one of just two runners to date for Snitzel.

A son of Redoute's Choice, Snitzel started favourite in both the Magic Millions and Golden Slipper of his year, but had to wait until the autumn of his three-year-old season before enjoying Group 1 glory, in the Oakleigh Plate.

He stands at Arrowfield off a fee of $22,000 and he has been given every possible chance of success, covering more than 300 mares in his first three years at stud.

Enlighten View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enlighten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 11:42pm
I will be leading first year sire imo
If its no longer fun .......How can it not be ???
Enlighten View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enlighten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by Enlighten Enlighten wrote:

I will be leading first year sire imo
*He will be
If its no longer fun .......How can it not be ???
tvlark View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvlark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2009 at 7:00pm
Nice types. Looks like he'll make something.
stagg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stagg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 6:51am
Won again Intertidal.
stagg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stagg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2009 at 5:35am
Flying. The very impressive winner last week Chance Bye at randwick also by snitzel.
Daraabah View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daraabah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2009 at 7:07am

...From Arrowfield newsletter........

In addition to being the sire of dual metropolitan

winner Intertidal (ex Miss Rainmaker, by Hurricane

Sky), Snitzel is responsible for Bouzy Rouge (ex

Blurrta, by Bahhare (USA) [who sports a win and

two placings from three starts], Bellerive graduate One More Grand (ex

Lambada Lady (USA), by Seattle Slew) who bolted in at Queanbeyan last

week by 5 ½ lengths, and on Saturday Chance Bye (ex Rouge Femme, by

Red Ransom (USA) made an ultra impressive debut in the $250,000 Inglis

Nursery after winning a Kembla barrier trial by 12 lengths in a lead-up

event.

As at 22 December Snitzel has four winners (of five races) from just seven

starters who have earned $333,350 in prizemoney. The young stallion

heads the First Season Sire Table for 2009/2010 and his winners to starters

percentage of 57.1% also sees him secure second position on this season’s

2YO Sires Table.

One to watch: the Gerald Ryan trained Rock My Heart will now make his

debut at Randwick on New Years Day.

15 Snitzel youngsters are catalogued for the 2010 Magic Millions Yearling

Sale and include six consigned by Arrowfield and Bellerive studs.

stagg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stagg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2010 at 8:09am
got the quinella in the 2yo at rosehill today. on fiyaaah!!!!
stagg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stagg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 7:09am

Rosehill - Top Drop does it tough for Ryan
Brad Waters
Saturday, 16 January 2010

Rosehill trainer Gerald Ryan was quick to sing the praises of young sire Snitzel after Top Drop’s gritty win in the Spring Valley Smart Energy Handicap (1100m) at Rosehill.

Ryan trained Snitzel to win the 2006 Group I Oakleigh Plate and has supported the stallion’s early progeny, the trainer has five youngsters by Snitzel in his stables.

“I’ve got five of them in the stable and this bloke (Top Drop) is probably the worst one out of the lot of them,” Ryan said. “I’m very happy with him. He’s a great little horse.”

“They (Snitzel progeny) race, they’re good doers, they’re tough and they don’t get shin sore. But they’re not quick early and they seem like they will be better over 1400 metres.”

Top Drop had to do it the hard way after being caught wide in the early speed battle but jockey Jim Cassidy got the best out of the two-year-old to carve out a narrow win over the Kris Lees-trained Testarhythm.

“I said to Jimmy today to be positive out of the gates because he’s not really quick,” Ryan said. “I wouldn’t have minded being caught three wide but he was caught four wide today.

“But that is all right when you have Jim Cassidy on top.”

The Chris Waller-trained Much Much More battled on fairly for third spot ahead of his stablemate American Crew.

The $3.60 favourite Ancestor settled well back before passing a few late but was never a winning chance.

The placings and margins: Top Drop (J Cassidy) 56.5kg ($15) defeated Testarhythm (H Bowman) 57kg ($8.50) by a short neck with 2-3/4 lengths back to Much Much More (N Rawiller) 57kg ($9) in third place.

Winner’s breeding – Top Drop is a two-year-old colt by Snitzel out of Fine Red (Red Ransom (USA)).

The time and sectionals – The field covered the 1100 metres in 1.04.87 with the last 600 run in 35.07 seconds.

The market – Top Drop opened at $13 before drifting to $15. Testarhythm eased from $6 to $8.50 while Much Much More drifted from $7 out to $9. Ancestor firmed from $3.80 to $3.60. Breakout was specked $51 to $26 while American Crew was backed from $10 to $7.

The on-course market closed at 112 percent

Flight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 9:20pm
Firstly, sorry mods but every time I tried to Search for "Snitzel", the page fell over.  And I can't blame the internet for that anymore (I hope) as we have just been upgraded to 4G.  Yay!  So please merge at your leisure.

I was looking at the Sires stats from the Bluebloods newsletter and noticed that Snitzel has not yet sired a stakes winner this season from 157 runners.

His service fee history is interesting.

Season
2006-8    33k
2009       22k
2010-11  27.5k
2012       33k
2013       49.5k
2014       71.5k
2015       88k

No stakes winners after four and a bit months.  88K.....

Mind you he is at 18 on the earnings list so has been very consistent.  But not a lot of confidence going into the early yearling sales based on season-to-date stats.

“The probability of a certain set of circumstances coming together in a meaningful (or tragic) way is so low that it simply cannot be considered mere coincidence. ”
― V.C. King
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 9:37pm
He is struggling for sure.
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 9:49pm
This season:
- 79th Winners/Runners at 30.3%
- 0% Stakeswinners
- 46th Avg Earn/Runner at $13,029

2015 season:
- 20th Winners/Runners at 51.7%
- 13th Stakeswinners/Runners at 5.4%
- 15th Avg Earn/Runner at $37,677

2014 stats also strong. I am sure his numbers will lift. Might get a bargain at the Classics sale?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>