Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Tributes Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Lest we forget

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lest we forget
    Posted: 20 Apr 2007 at 10:43am

During the First World War, 121,324 walers were sent overseas from Australia.  Only one waler is known to have been returned to Australia; "Sandy", the mount of Major-General W T Bridges, who died at Gallipoli in May, 1915 was sent back home for the funeral of his master. Sandy was in fact a thoroughbred stallion as at that time the waler was not a breed but a type. Many veterans of the Light Horse have gone on record stating that leaving their trusty steeds behind was one of the toughest things they had to do in the war.

A poem by "Trooper Bluegum" sums up the men's sentiment:

I don't think I could stand the thought of my old fancy hack
   Just crawling round old Cairo with a 'Gyppo on his back.
Perhaps some English tourist out in Palestine may find
   My broken-hearted waler with a wooden plough behind.

No: I think I'd better shoot him and tell a little lie:--
   "He floundered in a wombat hole and then lay down to die."
May be I'll get court-martialled; but I'm damned if I'm inclined
   To go back to Australia and leave my horse behind.

From Australia in Palestine, 1919

Returned soldiers, who, due to quarantine and army economies, had to leave their horses behind, erected a monument in Sydney… "by members of the Desert Mounted Corps and friends, to the gallant horses who carried them over the Sinai Desert into Palestine, 1915 - 1919.  They suffered wounds, thirst, hunger and weariness almost beyond endurance, but they never failed.  They did not come home".

Cords View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cords Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2007 at 8:05pm
Excellent and timely post Riceman
The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there.
Run For Fun View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2007 at 4:20am
Originally posted by Cords Cords wrote:

Excellent and timely post Riceman

Too true.  On a couple of levels.
It's hard to soar with eagles...

Cheers
puntingpatto View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puntingpatto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2007 at 9:37am
What a fantastic poem. Excellent post.
bailyroy View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bailyroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2009 at 3:26am
Generally we forge ted post the latter and appointment lunch and dinner, but we remembered the good date of won prize.Many veterans of the Light Horse have gone on record stating that leaving their trusty steeds behind was one of the toughest things they had to do in the war.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 11:28pm
can i boost this up to the front, just after 11th day of 11th month, rememberance day ?
has anyone heard that song ?  i cant recall its name, something like, do they think we dont know ?
about the horses, left behind.
there should be a memorial to these horses.
there is a waler memorial in Tamworth. has anyone seen it ? david evans worked tirelessly to get it there.
its a beautifull statue of horse and trooper.
we should never forget the horses in our wars.

animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 1:02am
Lest we forget.
All our service men and women.
And all the animals who served . 
And are still serving.
Lets make the Invictus Games , coming to Australia later this year, something to be proud of. 
100 years since the guns fell silent on the Western Front.   Lets remember what these brave men gave their lives for, and keep Australia the way they fought and died for.
Their generation is almost gone, and I dont think any other generation will ever have the morals and courage those blokes did. 
Lest we forget.

animals before people.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 1:29am
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Lest we forget.
All our service men and women.
And all the animals who served . 
And are still serving.
Lets make the Invictus Games , coming to Australia later this year, something to be proud of. 
100 years since the guns fell silent on the Western Front.   Lets remember what these brave men gave their lives for, and keep Australia the way they fought and died for.
Their generation is almost gone, and I dont think any other generation will ever have the morals and courage those blokes did. 
Lest we forget.

Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 9:55am
Well said.

I am absolutely appalled by the following.

SHOCKING video has emerged of teenagers taking floral wreaths from the Box Hill War Memorial site.

The video shows the group laughing and swearing as they haul away the wreaths placed in our honour of Australian servicemen and women.

The expletive-ridden footage shows a teen running away from the bare cenotaph with an armful of floral tributes.

A female voice can be heard saying: “Oh look how many *** got!â€

The footage was captured by one of the youths and shared on Snapchat. It has then been uploaded online where it has attracted widespread criticism.

Victoria Police have been notified.

The memorial site has this morning been restored, with the wreaths replaced underneath the cenotaph ahead of tomorrow’s Anzac Dawn service.

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 12:56pm
Lest We Forget.
horseshoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horseshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 1:09pm
Lest We Forget
Those who know don't tell, Those who tell don't know
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 1:48pm
reductio ad absurdum
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 1:55pm
Anzac Day is to me and my extended family a very sad and solem day. I think if my gentle Grandfather who fought at Gallipoli, nearly died there and mourned for his mates who didn't make it for the rest of his life. I think of his brother who fought on the Western Front, was severely injured and was left with a bad facial disfigurement. He came home to have the wife he adored leave him, he couldn't get a job because of his injury and he committed suicide in 1921. I think of my Grandmothers two cousins who died within a day of one another at Ypres. Their Grandmother never recovered from their loss and died in 1919 of a broken heart the family story goes . I think of OH's Grandfather who was in the Lighthorse, never spoke about his war until his great old age when he would talk about his beloved mare Blossom who he of course couldn't bring home. And all this is from only one family , multiply by the entire country you get some of why there had to be some sort of Remberance Day for what the country went through . Sad , sad sad. Sorry for the rant but it is an important day in our family.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 2:25pm
Thanks for sharing Baguette.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 2:41pm
A very moving piece Baguette, and my thoughts are with you and your family.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 9:51am
Originally posted by Baguette Baguette wrote:

Anzac Day is to me and my extended family a very sad and solem day. I think if my gentle Grandfather who fought at Gallipoli, nearly died there and mourned for his mates who didn't make it for the rest of his life. I think of his brother who fought on the Western Front, was severely injured and was left with a bad facial disfigurement. He came home to have the wife he adored leave him, he couldn't get a job because of his injury and he committed suicide in 1921. I think of my Grandmothers two cousins who died within a day of one another at Ypres. Their Grandmother never recovered from their loss and died in 1919 of a broken heart the family story goes . I think of OH's Grandfather who was in the Lighthorse, never spoke about his war until his great old age when he would talk about his beloved mare Blossom who he of course couldn't bring home. And all this is from only one family , multiply by the entire country you get some of why there had to be some sort of Remberance Day for what the country went through . Sad , sad sad. Sorry for the rant but it is an important day in our family.

Baguette, sorry just got to read this post, fabulous, in a very sad way......I have an uncle buried in the war graves near Ravenna Italy, he was shot in the legs, lay still for hours only to be killed the minute he put his head up to call for help.....I never met him of course, he was only 22 when he died, my Dad and his other brother were all effected injury wise, My Dad was a champion athlete, held a national record, had his leg blown to bits and it stopped his Olympic dream, my other uncle was captured in Egypt and spent 4 years in a POW camp in Germany......he never resented his captors, he was a humble and lovely man.....God bless our beautiful dead, although dead is a defeated word, these men and women never die in the minds and hearts of us all, we are here because of their bravery and commitment and we shall never. ever forget.
sunlinesusie View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunlinesusie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 5:40pm
We will remember them.
sunlinesusie View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sunlinesusie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 5:46pm
My three great Uncles, Ross, Keith and Colin Smith enlisted in the Great War. Keith served in London because of medical issues, Colin was killed at Villiers Bretoneux, and Ross became a flying ace. He was actually Lawrence of Olivier's pilot. 3 Distinguished flying medals, and after the war in 1919 he and Keith flew the Vickers Vimy from London to Australia in 28 days, and were knighted by the King.
Like all those who served, and the 6 million horses, donkeys and mules who died during WW1, we owe them all a debt of thanks and gratitude.
Lest we forget
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 6:27pm
From acacia alba

"This Old Horse" Poem

03 August 2014

haroldIdahoDEB_1188sean.jpg"This Old Horse"

This old horse, the Rancher said,
she’s seen some better days,
she’s eating up my profits,
and costs a lot for hay.

Another horse would suit me,
a stronger one at that,
shes seen a lot of miles
just like my cowboy hat.

she helped me herd my steer,
I’m pretty sure shes magic,
I know I hold her dear.

one that can run fast,
maybe one that’s younger,
or maybe one that lasts.

she’s long and far in tooth,
my children do remember,
her fondly from their youth.

a gelding in his prime,
one that needs less fixin’,
that helps me save a dime.

Why, they asked, then keep her?
why not trade her now?
bring her to an auction?
replace her with a cow?

The Rancher's brow grew heavy,

he took a staggered step,
his eyes did show his hardships,
in wrinkles, as they crept.

His breath, he took in deeply,
as he poised to say his words,
it’s as if the earth grew silent,
that his message should be heard.

Another horse would suit me,This old horse, the Rancher said,
has given me her life,
I wouldn’t trade for anything,
nor either, would my wife.

and perhaps someday will come,
but this old gal, I love her,
she is the chosen one.

her service she did lend,
her and I, have seen the years,
this old horse, she is my friend.

Another horse would suit me well,
but her home is here to keep,
I owe her sanctuary,
my love for her is deep.

Another horse would suit me well,
and younger days for me,
and I will keep my promise,
until our last breaths, set us free.

Poem by Jess Vee

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 1:35pm
Lest we forget. 
All the humans and animals involved in all conflicts .
They shall gorw not old.
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 9:50pm
Since today is the day for this, altho I feel we may have talked about it in another place ?  Books to read or something maybe ?
Anyone read the book "Bill The Bastard ".  Read it.   About the horse who went to war , a bush stallion,  from the beaches where they raced him, to the desert where he carried his rider and SIX other men , and guns, to safety.
Quite an amazing story, and he went to a Turkish farmer to sire babies.
animals before people.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 11:47am
Wrote this one on Saturday listening to the Last Post outside my window.

We remember not a victory

We remember a defeat

When looking back with hearts and minds

We see a distant beach.

We can feel their endeavour

To keep each other safe

We remember Men and Woman

Lost together with their mates.

What makes Australia different

We don’t celebrate the war

We remember instead the sacrifice

Of those who gave their all.

Of the countless men and woman

Who’ve defended Aussie shores

Who never returned to family

On April 25th we pause.

We say thank you for your service

We thank also those returned

We say thank you for your courage

For the lessons which you learned.

That war doesn’t solve our problems

War doesn’t help the world

But sometime we can’t avoid it

Or our story would be soiled.

So today we pause we listen

To the souls now passed away

We remember wars dark history

With the many wreaths we lay.

We remember sacrifice and service

Remember fearful death and pain

And we hope that with remembrance

This will never come again.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 12:37pm
Amen to that, Furious.  Very lovely poem.
animals before people.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 12:45pm
Anzac Day almost "died" in the 1930's, by all reports. People were pre-occupied with more immediate problems, like the hardships of the Depression, and the many WW1 veterans still alive, seemed not to want to be reminded of the dreadful war they experienced. I recall an uncle who was a warrior of some note in the second world war, not being much of a fan of Anzac Day, he shunned marching and medals, but would have a few drinks with his old comrades. It seems it is the people who did not go to war, that want to commemorate past wars and old soldiers.
Go Flash Go View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Flash Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 1:23pm
There were some great tributes and commemorations over the Anzac period not a thread really to put them all in ......

..anyway on theme worked with a fellow for many years in my twenties that was in WW2 ...  Rat of Tobruk and then for good measure was sent to New Guinea Kokoda trail and that. Now he didn't talk at all except for one sentance stuff if a smart alec had a comment ... dispensed them in no uncertain manner ..... best toughest worker l've worked with l'd say ... and he was 65 back then ( really 70 but never said past 65 so he could keep on working)

furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 1:26pm
My father was like that although he had been in the ambulance cor up in New Guinea he never went to Anzac Day.  War isn't something to be remembered as such.  But we have to remember what war does to people and make sure to work a way through our issues.  War like many things seem to destroy the inner person.  And I don't think Anzac Day is a glory of war it's to make us remember the penalty of war.
Go Flash Go View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Flash Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 1:56pm
This fellow didn't talk about whether he went to Anzac day but he did mention a fellow in New Guinea that was so badly hit, l won't go into detail, at the time they said well that's the end of him when they took his helmet off. Yet he was still around he said (back then in the 80's) so he kept in touch.

Perhaps your father helped .. you never know ...
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 11:11am
At the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month.
Lest we forget.
animals before people.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 11:27am
I seem to recall in the 60's at school, this was a big deal (Armistice Day as it was then called), and certainly the class would observe the minute's silence. But there were still a few WWI veterans alive in those days, I actually lived next door to one in the 80's, he lived to 100. Never spoke a word of his war.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 11:21pm
We need to keep the memories alive.    If we forget , we cant remember , and we cant keep those memories alive. 

animals before people.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>