Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Breeding Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Goodbye Bletchingly sire-line

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brixton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Goodbye Bletchingly sire-line
    Posted: 16 Apr 2007 at 9:48pm
With the death of All Black Gold a few months ago and He's No Pie Eater this morning, it seems as though the Bletchingly sire-line is all but finished.

There is only Canny Lad son Planchet at stud in Victoria and he isn't exactly a commercial option at present.Cry
ilalastud View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilalastud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2007 at 9:49pm
Grand Reve might step up.
Brixton View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brixton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2007 at 9:57pm
He is the most likely. First two dams are stakes winners but there isn't much depth there. Unlike HNPE who was related to Redoute's Choice, Hurricane Sky, Umatilla, Al Maher etc etc.

He's not a half-bad racehorse either. Just didn't like how he tired in the last 50m on Saturday. It was only 1110 metres and he had an easy time on the pace. The Jackal has a big finish but is no world beater and was catching him on the line.
Take2 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Take2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2007 at 9:59pm
dodge's last 5 seasons have gone from 96 in 2002 down to 30 in 2006 also
change is simply a destination on a journey reached by taking the first step (i said that) lol

www.3rdmillenniumbloodstock.com.au
ilalastud View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilalastud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2007 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Brixton Brixton wrote:

He is the most likely. First two dams are stakes winners but there isn't much depth there. Unlike HNPE who was related to Redoute's Choice, Hurricane Sky, Umatilla, Al Maher etc etc.

He's not a half-bad racehorse either. Just didn't like how he tired in the last 50m on Saturday. It was only 1110 metres and he had an easy time on the pace. The Jackal has a big finish but is no world beater and was catching him on the line.

He's improved dramatically following the change of trainer. Go Brian Guy!
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2007 at 11:14pm
Planchet may not have been commercial but he's also barrly seen a good mare.  He does have an unbeaten two year old so maybe if he got a decent broodmare he could show us what he can do.
Even Canny only sees only a few each season.  Dodge got Hard to Catch so he can get a good horse also.
This sireline has been jinxed for the last 20 years.  It started when Star Watch died.  Then Brave Warrior, St Covet etc.  Then the fashion swung well and truely away from them and now they serve the second, third and lesser lights.
Its a truely brave man who breeds his best mare away from the top sires each year but without good mares the stallions have no hope.
the renter View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the renter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2007 at 11:52pm
I totally agree with furious on this Planchet is the greatest value sire in VIC I THINK and if he had a good quality mare'S this would be shown I only wish i had a mare good enough to go to planchet.
Daz_ View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daz_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2007 at 4:06am
do woodlands own Planchet ?
Run For Fun View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2007 at 4:35am
Originally posted by Daz_ Daz_ wrote:

do woodlands own Planchet ?

Dunno Daz.

However have heard a rumour Plachet was to be removed from the stallion ranks at Underperforming Park.  Maybe that's changed with the recent resurgence of his old man.

But the signs ain't good:

2003 74 mares @ $7.5k plus GST
2004 70 mares @ $7.5k plus GST
2005 43 mares @ $7k plus GST
2006 35 mares @ $4k plus GST

No yearlings in Melb Premier Select catalogue
No yearlings in Adel MM Select catalogue

And from what I can see, bugger-all promotion by Eliza Doolittle.

Actually why he stood in Vic was always a mystery to me.

Over to others.

It's hard to soar with eagles...

Cheers
Apollo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apollo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2007 at 4:42am
Not sure if it means too much but Planchet is listed on stallions.com as standing at Ashbrook Stud. He does not appear in the list of stallions standing at Eliza Park on the same site.
Brixton View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brixton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2007 at 4:43am
That's an absolute disaster.

I must say though, he isn't the most attractive sort, even in Victoria alone. Neither is he reasonably performed. As for best value in Victoria, I'd sooner go to Lago Delight than Planchet.

True that it's hard to secure the better mares but that's what it's all about. They are all in the same boat and need to upgrade what they see before the better ones come along. The good stallions will always upgrade and earn their chance.

With record numbers of mares served every year, a good stallion should in general get their chance.
orpen View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orpen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2007 at 11:25pm
I would still count Hurricane Sky as a representative. Has a good'un at the moment and i think he will do well in WA with the Mill Reef and Nijinsky line brood mares he can get. The faster tracks will also suit.
nod. View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2007 at 1:20am
There is no such thing as a 'Sire line' -merely the top line on a pedigree chart. As such it holds no more merit than any other line on the pedigree chart.
Still, it gives some 'learned gurus' something to waffle on about , but seriously don't ever shed a tear at the 'loss of a sire line' because it never existed in the first place. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2007 at 3:45am
Originally posted by nod. nod. wrote:

There is no such thing as a 'Sire line' -merely the top line on a pedigree chart. As such it holds no more merit than any other line on the pedigree chart.
Still, it gives some 'learned gurus' something to waffle on about , but seriously don't ever shed a tear at the 'loss of a sire line' because it never existed in the first place. 

Well it's largely a question of semantics mate.  If there's no such thing as a Sire-Line it perhaps follows there's also no such thing a distaff line or female family either.

But that said I totally agree with the essence of your sentiments.  Sire-lines (if indeed they exist) largely hang around for up to 40 years or so and then fade out.  However both male and female influences stick around for almost time immemorial within capacious pedigrees.

So I'm not at all fussed that Star Kingdom doesn't appear in the top line of any of my mares, but am conversely delighted that more than half of them carry him somewhere in their makeup.

To misquote whoever it was, news of his death is highly exaggerated.

Cheers
Brixton View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brixton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2007 at 3:51am
A debate on the meaning of life was not the intention. Rather, marking what appears to be the end of an era.

I'm sure it will be something worth talking about when eventually the Danehill "sire-line" is no more. Although it will take a hell of a lot longer than it did the Star Kingdom line due to overbreeding etc.
nod. View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2007 at 4:22pm
Masterpiece [by Bletchingly] is at stud in NZ -2 SW from just 40 starters last stats I saw.
reng View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2007 at 2:31am
And 105 foals (3yos and up)
The problem with Opportunity is that it wears overalls and looks like work.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2007 at 4:18am
Originally posted by Brixton Brixton wrote:

A debate on the meaning of life was not the intention.....

No intention to offend Brix. Smile

Cheers
Bonecrusher View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonecrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2007 at 3:43am

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Show a Heart yet?

Last time I checked the Top-line of his pedigree chart , Bletchingly was there.

Show a Heart & Hurricane Sky are the standouts for him now.
JNC View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 1:23am
I have a stallion out of Star Watch's full sister.

Annenkovsuperspecial
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by JNC JNC wrote:

I have a stallion out of Star Watch's full sister.

Hi Censored, is your stallion Global Crosssing? Or Mister Smith?

Is he still active serving mares?

Edited by Gay3 - 14 Jul 2018 at 10:05pm
JNC View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 10:01pm
I have Global Crossing. Mister Smith is a gelding checked Risa. Smile
Annenkovsuperspecial
 Post Reply Post Reply